PDA

View Full Version : For fun: Silly things you don't know how to do....

veronica
03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
I'll start:

I can not whistle. I don't know how, have tried and it just does not happen.

I can't read sheet music. I have no clue how people can look at those notes and their placement, and know what to do with them????

I do not know how to play chess. Wish I did.

I can not roll my "r's" when speaking spanish. And, my entire family is Cuban, I'm first generation American! I just can not do it.

Twoboos
03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
I can not roll my "r's" when speaking spanish.

:yeahthat: Too funny that you posted this. DD1 (7) just figured out how to do this and walks around rolling her r's on everything. I cannot do it AT ALL. Maybe for like a split-second.

I was actually going to post a poll one day to see who can/can't roll 'em!

JoyNChrist
03-22-2011, 04:41 PM
I can whistle one note, but I can't whistle a tune or do bird calls or anything like that.

I don't know how to braid hair. Never learned, and never really needed to, but I guess now that I have a daughter I should probably figure that out (although at the rate she's going, she'll be bald forever).

I can't read a map or follow directions to save my life. I have to put everything in my GPS. If I'd lived before the GPS era, I'd never leave my house.

BigDog
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
I can't tie my shoes "normal", like with the loop around. DH makes fun of me because I do it the bunny ears way. I've tried the "normal" way and I just can't get it tight, the loops always fall apart!

I also can't make a foul shot in basketball. It's pure air ball, with still a good 10 feet to go to reach the net. It must be my lack of upper arm strength.

elephantmeg
03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't blow a bubble gum bubble
I can't play chess
I have a very poor sense of direction!

zoestargrove
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
I cannot roll my "r"s either!

elektra
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM
I can't sew. (I'm practically useless in all things domestic actually.)
I can't throw a football in a spiral.

blue
03-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll start:

I can't read sheet music. I have no clue how people can look at those notes and their placement, and know what to do with them????

:yeahthat: Me too!.... I remember starting to learn the note placement in school and then moving to a new school that had already covered it. I still plan on trying to figure it out one of these days. It's on my mental list of things I want to learn.

I cannot read most peoples cursive handwriting :bag. It all looks like gibberish to me or drawings. Eventually I can unusually decipher it , BUT it takes a long time.

bigpassport
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I can't drive a stick shift:(

ilfaith
03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I can't whistle either.

And I can only snap my fingers with my left hand (I am right-handed) and I didn't learn to snap at all until my early 20s.

billysmommy
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I can't wink

I can't do a cartwheel or even a somersault.

I was a cheerleader and loved being thrown in
the air but hate, hate, hate being upside down!!

Upside down on a roller coaster is fine, but not
hanging from monkey bars or even with my head
over the edge of the bed...lol

veronica
03-22-2011, 04:58 PM
I cannot read most peoples cursive handwriting :bag. It all looks like gibberish to me or drawings. Eventually I can unusually decipher it , BUT it takes a long time.

DH just informed me last weekend, that they have stopped teaching this in schools. I just stared at him and could not believe it. then......I couldn't think of a single reason to continue teaching it. Kind of sad :(

citymama
03-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Oh, I can do lots of silly things. I can whistle entire CDs from start to finish. I can roll my Rs perfectly (in Mexico they thought I was Peruvian. In Peru they thought I was Mexican). I can imitate most kinds of accents. I can wink from either eye. Snap my fingers on either hand.

You know what I can't do? Really important, useful things like drive a car. Yep, that's my embarrassing little secret that I HAVE to remedy given the state I live in. Am I the only big city girl here who doesn't drive?

( technically I learned how to drive at 17 and have a drivers license. In the 20 years since, I've hardly ever been behind the wheel except at various driving schools, but I do keep my license up to date. Now I'm just terrified to drive esp with 2 little kids. My quality of life would improve so much if I drove...need to muster up the courage and time to get proficient at the grand old age of 38.)

cdlamis
03-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I never learned how to type correctly- I can actually type quite fast but its not in any pattern. All my friends took typing class in JH, I wonder why I didn't?

I also cannot wink with my right eye- DH makes fun of me when I try- it looks like I have a ton of botox on the right side, doesn't move an inch! DD's have inherited this trait!

Smillow
03-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I cannot ever remember the rules to card games (well, except War). It doesn't matter if I played the game yesterday, you will have to tell me the rules again!

MichelleRC
03-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I cannot drive a stick shift (which is one of the reasons why I can never go on Amazing Race, LOL!). I can't whistle. I can't knit, despite having been taught many times by my mother.
I also do not know how to use our BBQ.

kwc
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I can't snap my fingers, either hand. I am one of those lame people who made fake snapping movements in toddler music class.

I can't use chopsticks the proper way. And I am Chinese. DH (not Chinese) and DD (7) make fun of me.

pinkmomagain
03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't know how to pump gas, hence I always have to find a full service station.
I can't seem to learn how to swim, though I've attempted a few times.

mackmama
03-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I can't whistle.
I can't do anything requiring sideways coordination (surf, skateboard, etc).

MommyAllison
03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
I can't whistle or drive a stick shift either. But I don't feel so alone after reading this thread! :)

ilfaith
03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't know how to pump gas, hence I always have to find a full service station.

I never pumped gas until I brought my car up to college my senior year. Grew up in New Jersey where there is no self service. I remember one summer in college a friend and I took an out-of-state road trip; when the tank was close to empty the two of us looked at each other and realized neither of us had any idea what to do.

mommylamb
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't know how to work my programmable thermostat.

I'm glad VCRs are a thing of the past because I never knew how to record on one.

I don't know how to drive a stick shift, use the grill, fix most things... but I have complete confidence that I could learn these things if shown how.

ett
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I can't use chopsticks the proper way. And I am Chinese. DH (not Chinese) and DD (7) make fun of me.

Me neither. And I'm also Chinese. :bag

fortato
03-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I still have trouble with my left and right. I know which is which, but if you were driving with me, and giving me directions.... and you said to me "Turn Left here"...I would likely start to go Right.

Other than that, I am perfect.

momm
03-22-2011, 06:13 PM
DH just informed me last weekend, that they have stopped teaching this in schools. I just stared at him and could not believe it. then......I couldn't think of a single reason to continue teaching it. Kind of sad :(

:47:

No way!!! I'm sad. Really. It's one more thing the future generations have lost. Along with spelling words completely.

ok, so I can't let things go or get with technology, apparently :p

I also can't ever, get a sense of where I am in terms of geography. E.g. I've lived in this house for three years yet when I get out of the complex I need to really stop and think for a second where BJ's is, where I need to turn, which general direction I need to go.
I suck at that. I would use my GPS just to go to my weekly groceries, if I could feel not utterly stupid doing that.

carolinamama
03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't really know how to work my ipod. I've had it for 2+ years and I have never loaded any songs or anything. My dad set it up for me with a bunch of songs and playlists (does that say something bad about me that my dad is more hip about technology and current music than I am?)

♥ms.pacman♥
03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
i cannot whistle either.

I cannot drive a stick shift (i've never even tried though).

mezzona
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I can't whistle. and I can't move my head side to side while the rest of my body remains stationary.

lizzywednesday
03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't know how to braid hair. Never learned, and never really needed to, but I guess now that I have a daughter I should probably figure that out (although at the rate she's going, she'll be bald forever)....

Off topic, for you Stacy, I have to say that Klutz Press's "Braids and Bows" and "Hair" were the best money my mom ever spent on personal care information for my sister and I.

Now I can French braid like nobody's business and have a few variations up my sleeve that I'll try once my DD's hair gets long enough.

And, back on topic, I can neither ice skate nor roller skate, though I've tried both before.

Oh, and since I live in NJ where it's illegal to pump your own gas, my BFF had to teach me how to do it so I could get home from visiting her in VA. I was 24.

liamsmom
03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Can't roll my R's or whistle. Are those things related?

I also can't drive a stick, though I've been taught. I just need a lot of practice. And someone with a 5-speed car who's willing to let me drive.

lizzywednesday
03-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Can't roll my R's or whistle. Are those things related?

They're positioned similarly in the mouth, so maybe they are for some people.

YouAreTheFocus
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
....You know what I can't do? Really important, useful things like drive a car. Yep, that's my embarrassing little secret that I HAVE to remedy given the state I live in. Am I the only big city girl here who doesn't drive?....

OMG, this is my deep dark secret, too! I have almost posted this in other threads, but have chickened out b/c I was embarassed. :bag I thought I'd be the only one!

You're in SF, right? If so, :wavey: from across the bay, from another non-driver!

niccig
03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I still have trouble with my left and right. I know which is which, but if you were driving with me, and giving me directions.... and you said to me "Turn Left here"...I would likely start to go Right.

This is me too. I'll say go left and point to the right. DH never wants me to navigate. My sister once wrote a L and R on back of each hand when we were driving around looking at rental houses. I just can't get him worked out.

I can't whistle
I can't blew bubble gum bubbles.

alexmommy
03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't know how to drive stick.
I don't know how to use a lawn mower of any type. :bag

(Course, I haven't ever tried or felt the desire to try.)

I can't throw a football spiral or shoot a basket. That will probably never change.

swissair81
03-22-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to say all the things I can't do-
I can't whistle
or blow up balloons
or blow bubble gum bubbles
or gargle
or drive stick shift
or play any kind of sport
or dance
or walk 2 feet without tripping over something
or sew/knit/anything crafty
or blow dry my own hair without it looking freaky

In my defense though, I can 6 braid my bread dough, start IVs, and I have an awesome sense of direction.

citymama
03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
OMG, this is my deep dark secret, too! I have almost posted this in other threads, but have chickened out b/c I was embarassed. :bag I thought I'd be the only one!

You're in SF, right? If so, :wavey: from across the bay, from another non-driver!

So, what are we going to do about it? Want to make some kind of pact/5 step plan to learn how to drive/start driving?

High five, sistah!

JMS
03-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I can not keep my left and right straight. I have to think about it each and every time!

Gena
03-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Add me to the list of people who can't whistle.

I can't follow the dialog when I see a movie in the theater (auditory processing difficulty). If it's something I really want to see, I wait until it comes out on DVD or cable.

crayonblue
03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I can't light a match. Freaks me out.

I can't read a map. Not one bit. Offer me a million dollars to locate which way is North and I would have to take a total guess.

I can't play an instrument.

I'm sure there are a million more things I cannot do!

DietCokeLover
03-22-2011, 07:43 PM

Other than that, I am perfect.

I have trouble with left and right too. So when driving, if I an driving, you have to tell me "Turn DietCokeLover" and I'll turn to my side of the road or "Turn Passenger" and I'll go that way. I have to think too long about left or right.

I also cannot process "spring forward, fall back" when the time changes. It makes no sense. I used to call my parents and have them tell me what time to make the clock say. Now, this is DH's job.

And, can't roll my r's.

wimama
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I can't drive a stick shift. And, I can not knit,draw. Seriously in my developmental biology lab in college the TA made me redraw some drawings because they were so bad. And, she gave up when my drawing still stunk the second time.

I pretend not to know how to operate the coffee maker or make pancakes, just so, DH will do it. DH pretends not to be able to find anything in the house, make eggs, do the laundry and many, many other things. :wink2:

jenfromnj
03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I can't drive a stick shift. A friend tried to teach me in college, but quickly stopped after he heard what I was doing to his beloved car.

I can't reliably work (or even really keep track of) the various remotes for our TV, DVD player, stereo, etc--I can work the TV and DVD for basic functions, but if the surround sound is on, for instance, or if DH is watching Netflix on demand then leaves the room, I'm stuck with it because trying to change it will end up me watching a blank screen or a similar result.

I'm a decent knitter, but I cannot figure out crochet. Everyone says it is supposed to be easier than knitting, but I really struggle with it.

I can not keep my left and right straight. I have to think about it each and every time!

Those who have the left/right confusion--are you left-handed? DH has a huge problem with this, and he swears it's related to being left handed, but I have no idea whether that's really true.

maestramommy
03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I can't whistle either. When I was in HS my friend taught me how to do it by clasping my hands and blowing between my thumbs. But after I got braces that was the end of that:p

Can't roll my Rs either. In college I had to take voice, which means a lot of singing in Italian, and it's such a feeling of "you're not fooling anyone" when the best you can do is clip them.

momof2girls
03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
It takes me a few seconds to figure out the time on a clock wiith hands.

I can't understand the game of football for the life of me.

I get nauseous and have panic attacks when kids are on a swing set. I always think it is going to collapse. It is even worse when I see kids on one in someone's backyard. they never look stable enough to make me comfortable.

LMPC
03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I cannot cross stitch...tried one time and it ended in disaster. I just don't have the patience or the manual dexterity.

I cannot play an instrument...at all. And I have tried. My brother on the other hand, makes his living as a musician.

I cannot dance. This also ends in disaster...or at least utter humiliation.

Cam&Clay
03-22-2011, 08:13 PM
I cannot drive a stick shift. DH's BMW is a stick shift. Coincidence? I think not.

I cannot navigate at all. Lousiest sense of direction ever. (And my XH is a cartographer--go figure!)

DietCokeLover
03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Those who have the left/right confusion--are you left-handed? DH has a huge problem with this, and he swears it's related to being left handed, but I have no idea whether that's really true.

I am right handed.

crl
03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I cannot whistle or snap my fingers. I also have a horrible memory for numbers and am terrible with chopsticks. The chopsticks are the only thing on that list I actually care about.

Catherine

bnme
03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I cannot ever remember the rules to card games (well, except War). It doesn't matter if I played the game yesterday, you will have to tell me the rules again!

I have the same problem. It's really weird. I just can't keep it straight. And I am good with numbers and game rules in general.

I also can't whistle or wink. And I can't roller blade or ice skate. I have tried and I am REALLY bad.

MSWR0319
03-22-2011, 08:19 PM
I can't roll my r's or roll my tongue in half. I can't whistle anymore. I used to be able to and after I got my braces off years ago I've not been able to do it!

crispychicky
03-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I can't parallel park. I learned in driver's ed and knew how when I took my driver's test at the DMV, but I've really only had to parallel park every 5 years or so and I can't remember how to do it any more.

I can't ever see the pictures in those hidden 3D posters. I just can't get my eyes to focus on the right spot.

I can barely whistle. It sounds so soft and pathetic. I'd love to be able to do one of those really loud, ear piercing whistles. Maybe someday I'll learn. My niece could whistle better than me when she was 5.

wendibird22
03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
I can't drive stick. Can't roll my r's. Can't roll my tongue (DH and DD1 can). Can't touch my toes without bending my knees (even back when I was a competitive gymnast and super flexible in every other way). Can't operate the riding lawn mower or the snow blower nor do I even know how to turn them on. Oh and I can't remember people's names at.all. I can meet people several times and still not remember their names.

MamaMolly
03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I can't parallel park, and I also get L/R confused. I'm a lefty FWIW. Oh, and I can't spell worth a flip. I chalk it up to creativity.

happy2bamom
03-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I can't spit. I mean I can spit out tooth paste in the morning, but when you are sick and need to cough-up phlegm (TMI), I can't spit that out for the life of me.

I can't water ski. I have never been able to use my leg muscles in the right way to actually pull myself up.

I'm not flexible at all. I can't touch my toes without a serious bend in my knees.

sweet_pea
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I can't sew...I can have lots of patience for other things, but none whatsoever when it comes to sewing. I always screwed up even with my mother watching over me constantly, so I've given up completely.

I can't play chess.

I also cannot dive, at all. I took swimming lessons as a pre-teen and the teacher worked on it with me but I never got it.

According to DH, I can't open any type of packaging (a plastic bag with cereal, for example, or a plastic sleeve of crackers or cookies) without ripping it apart and the food falling out and making a mess.

mjmamma
03-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Ha, I can't pronounce/sound out words that I've never heard before. I always add some of accent into it or inject non existent letters. I always thought hyperbole was hyper-bowl, my DH will never let me live that one down. I am well read but I can't pronounce words! Very embarrassing.

DrSally
03-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I also can't play chess or whistle. I can't drive a stick, although I really wish I could.

Indianamom2
03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
I can't drive stick.

I can't roll my "r"s at all.

I CANNOT play wind instruments AT ALL. It is the only class I've ever dropped out of because no matter how hard I worked, I just couldn't do it. Maybe you have to be able to roll your "r"s....

I have a super hard time swallowing large, uncoated pills. Like I can try so many times they turn to mush. It's embarassing at my age, but I know my limitations.

mikeys_mom
03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
I can't whistle. I am so happy to see that this is not so unusual. DH thinks it is very funny that DS can whistle already and I can't.

I can't drive stick shift.

I have a very bad sense of direction.

I can't carry a tune at all. I'm pretty sure I am tone deaf. DH has a great voice and DS seems to have inherited that trait. He will often tell me - Mommy, that's not how the song goes...

Meatball Mommie
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
I can't carry a tune AT ALL. DH totally makes fun of me every time I try to sing to the kids or along with the radio - it's that bad.

I can't whistle either...well, just a single note, but not a song or anything...

ett
03-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I can't drive stick, whistle, or play chess.

KrisM
03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I can't light a match. Freaks me out.

Me neither.

I also can't roll my rs. And, I can't skip. I know the mechanics, but it looks ridiculous and isn't smooth.

However, I can whistle while driving a stick.

infomama
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I have to think about how to pronounce 'publicity' every time I say it. I always end up pronouncing it 'plubicity'.

Raidra
03-22-2011, 09:57 PM
There are a lot of things I can't do, but I'm sure I could learn if I really wanted to (driving a stick, chess, etc).

But I will never be musical. I love music, but it's seriously like magic to me.. I don't get how it works at all.

I can't understand people that speak with accents, if I'm talking to them in real time. Like.. I can understand people on TV with accents, but if I'm talking on the phone or in person and the person has even a mild accent, I can barely understand them. I feel so bad about it, because I don't want to come across as xenophobic or something.. but I seriously rely on my husband to translate for me.

I can't snap my fingers. Just can't do it.

ett
03-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Oh, yeah, I can't light a match either. Don't even want to try. I remember in high school chemistry, one of the experiments involving lighting a match. My lab partner and I just looked at either other thinking, umm ... who's going to do this? We finally got someone else to do it for us. :)

Jacksmommy2b
03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Ha, I can't pronounce/sound out words that I've never heard before. I always add some of accent into it or inject non existent letters. I always thought hyperbole was hyper-bowl, my DH will never let me live that one down. I am well read but I can't pronounce words! Very embarrassing.

OMG, I seriously thought I was the only one. Between this and the left and right I feel more normal than ever!

I also can never follow visual directions like in an aerobics class. No matter how hard I try, I end up flailing about until I give up. I can't dance either.

firemama
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I cannot:

Raise my right eyebrow unless I raise both at the same time (although I can raise my left eyebrow by itself)
Roll my r's
Hand whistle (when people put 2 fingers in their mouth and whistle, like for a cab) I have ALWAYS wanted to do that
Play the piano with my left hand anymore. :bag I played for 7 years (I quit almost 20 years ago) and I could read sheet music and even memorized anything.

But I can:

Drive stick shift (I actually learned when I got my license)
Whistle (when I was little I only knew how to whistle breathing in, but taught myself to whistle correctly)
Knit and sew
Use a lawn mower
Play the piano with my right hand

malphy
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
i do not know how/never have cooked anything on a bbq grill.

cannot figure out how to use the gears on a bike

TxCat
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I can't snap my fingers, either hand. I am one of those lame people who made fake snapping movements in toddler music class.

I can't snap my fingers. At all. Either hand. And apparently this will come back to haunt me in a week when the baby music class starts. :rolleye0014:

I also cannot hold a pen/pencil "correctly" for the life of me. I'm right-handed, but supposedly I hold my pen "like a lefty." :confused: People are constantly amused by it, especially at work, and then insist on analyzing how I'm holding my pen. I've tried to correct it, but then I'm not sure how to hold it correctly. And now I'm too embarrassed to teach DD how to write when the time comes. :bag

twowhat?
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm not flexible at all. I can't touch my toes without a serious bend in my knees.

Me too! It brings back horrible memories of grade school PE fitness tests.

I can't wear high heels. It's not just a matter of them hurting my feet/legs (which they do) but more that I cannot master the mechanics of walking in them. I wobble. I clunk. I twist my ankles and generally look like a fool.

I cannot do mental math. I have to multiply on paper in order to calculate a tip. My mother would be disappointed.

firemama
03-22-2011, 10:26 PM
And I can't sign my name in cursive anymore. Everytime I have to, I seize up and it looks awful! I'm trying to come up with a new one that is just a scribble, but I can't even do that. :shrug:

That's weird that they are not teaching cursive in some schools anymore. I know someone who learned it in 2nd grade last year, and had to get a cursive 'license,' so I don't think it is completely gone.

Meatball Mommie
03-22-2011, 10:31 PM
That's weird that they are not teaching cursive in some schools anymore. I know someone who learned it in 2nd grade last year, and had to get a cursive 'license,' so I don't think it is completely gone.

My son is in 2nd grade and he's learning cursive. We are changing schools next year and they still teach cursive as well. I wonder where they aren't teaching it?

jenfromnj
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
This conversation totally reminds me of last night's episode of How I Met Your Mother, when they were all talking about their "gaps" (Barney couldn't use a screwdriver, Ted thought chameleon was pronounced phonetically, Robin thought the North Pole was a fictional place).

I am right handed.

I knew he was giving me a BS excuse! And to your story about telling right and left while driving, I actually drew an L and an R on the inside of DH's windshield (in tiny letters) because I got sick of him always turning the wrong way.

I didn't realize it was such an epidemic!

I have to think about how to pronounce 'publicity' every time I say it. I always end up pronouncing it 'plubicity'.

I have the same issue with "rural"--it always sounds all smushed together if I say it without taking a beat to think about pronouncing it.

happy2bamom
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM

I really don't know why but that made me giggle out loud.

happy2bamom
03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I can't understand people that speak with accents, if I'm talking to them in real time. Like.. I can understand people on TV with accents, but if I'm talking on the phone or in person and the person has even a mild accent, I can barely understand them. I feel so bad about it, because I don't want to come across as xenophobic or something.. but I seriously rely on my husband to translate for me.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one. It's so embarassing and limiting. I really wanted to start a friendship with a lady, but I couldn't understand anything she said when we were on the phone. I'm a little better in person b/c I can usually pick-up on contextual clues.

infomama
03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I really don't know why but that made me giggle out loud.
Oh no your didn't ;)

happy2bamom
03-22-2011, 10:58 PM
I can't figure out what someone is spelling when it is done audibly only. I mean the simpliest word spelled out vocally and I am lost. This occurs a lot when you have young children. I am a good speller in general, but I need to see the word to figure out what we are talking about. I don't have trouble spelling for other people, I just can't process when they spell something to me.

I don't have great short term memory (and it is getting worse). I can be in the middle of a story, get distracted, and have no idea what I was talking about. I also forget any directions given to me unless they're written down. If someone tells me something, and I don't write it down it probably will be forgotten.

JoyNChrist
03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
I get nauseous and have panic attacks when kids are on a swing set. I always think it is going to collapse. It is even worse when I see kids on one in someone's backyard. they never look stable enough to make me comfortable.

Apparently my 4yo DS would get along great with you. He's terrified of the swings, and at the park he tries to make other kids get off the swing set. I guess he thinks it's dangerous.

Y'all reminded me of some more. I also can't:
- parallel park
- write legibly in cursive (and it's really hard for me to even remember how to do it)
- do a cartwheel
- dive
- whistle with my hands/fingers

I've also never mowed grass, but I can drive a tractor so I'm pretty sure I could figure out a lawnmower.

And here's a weird one - I can't NOT imitate people's accents when I'm talking to them. I unconsciously adopt their speech patterns and accent, and I have to concentrate REALLY hard not to do it. I think it has something to do with being good with languages (most people can't tell I'm not a native Spanish speaker when I'm speaking Spanish, for example), but it's really embarrassing because I'm always worried people will think I'm mocking them.

fortato
03-22-2011, 11:06 PM
I feel SO much better about the Left/Right thing now!

I forgot that I have a LOT of trouble saying the word "Magnet". The "GN" sound in general gets stuck in my throat. I end up pronouncing it "Mag-a-net"... otherwise I can't finish the word.

malphy
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Apparently my 4yo DS would get along great with you. He's terrified of the swings, and at the park he tries to make other kids get off the swing set. I guess he thinks it's dangerous.

Y'all reminded me of some more. I also can't:
- parallel park
- write legibly in cursive (and it's really hard for me to even remember how to do it)
- do a cartwheel
- dive
- whistle with my hands/fingers

I've also never mowed grass, but I can drive a tractor so I'm pretty sure I could figure out a lawnmower.

And here's a weird one - I can't NOT imitate people's accents when I'm talking to them. I unconsciously adopt their speech patterns and accent, and I have to concentrate REALLY hard not to do it. I think it has something to do with being good with languages (most people can't tell I'm not a native Spanish speaker when I'm speaking Spanish, for example), but it's really embarrassing because I'm always worried people will think I'm mocking them.

bbm..... I can't believe you said that!!! I have the same issue and I am always afraid someone is going to be ticked off. I don't mean it I just have a knack for languages, too.

KrisM
03-22-2011, 11:40 PM

I forgot that I have a LOT of trouble saying the word "Magnet". The "GN" sound in general gets stuck in my throat. I end up pronouncing it "Mag-a-net"... otherwise I can't finish the word.

I can say "magnet" just fine, but I can't say "signal" without a lot of concentration.

elektra
03-22-2011, 11:43 PM

See my trouble word is "compilation" I have to try really hard not to say "copulation". Not good!

ljackson
03-23-2011, 12:12 AM
I can't get small rocks to skip across a lake. After a lot of trying I can sometimes get one bounce but never any more and mostly they just sink at the first sign of water.

Allisonsmommy
03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I can't roll my r's or my tongue.

I can't knit or sew

I can't drive stick shift

i can' t blow dry my hair into a style with round brushes, etc. It always turns out badly.

jbbhb
03-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I can whistle and I can drive a stick shift, but I cannot for the life of me bowl! I have only broken 100 one time in my life, plus it really hurts my hand!

I also cannot spit (like a PP mentioned) like when you're sick and need to clear snot. If I try I just barf because it grosses me out so much, and I am a nurse :bag

salsah
03-23-2011, 12:37 AM

how weird! i don't have this problem, but when reading this, i read "publicity" as "plublicity". it is possible that my eyes scanned over/saw the "plublicity" first, but i don't think that they did.

jenstring95
03-23-2011, 12:44 AM
For the record, I really enjoy this thread.

I cannot wink. Not with either eye. I practice, though. The only time I can close one eye (without holding it shut) and not the other is when I eat something sour (like Sour Patch Kids), and then it is completely involuntary. I have to hold one eye shut when I look through a camera viewfinder or a one ocular microscope.

I have no problem with left and right but never know north, south, etc. And if you tell me I am going south, I have to think really hard and picture a map to figure out which way is east or west.

I cannot seem to do two different things with two hands (like rub my head with one and my belly with the other). I never could learn to play the piano, although this may be due in part to the fact that I had a one-armed piano teacher. True story.

I also cannot light a match. Really terrifies me. I also have never used a cigarette lighter and don't know how. I do use those long handled type lighters, though.

I can whistle, but I whistle better when inhaling than exhaling. Is that normal?

I cannot seem to iron to save my life. Whatever I am trying to iron generally looks worse after I try. I think it has something to do with being left handed and putting the ironing board the wrong way and dragging the cord across, but that may just be a convenient excuse. :wink2:

I have no idea how to make coffee, although I also don't drink it and don't own a coffee pot.

salsah
03-23-2011, 12:58 AM
i can't knit. i can crochet and everyone says knitting is easier, but i think that since i'm used to holding just one needle, the two needles throw me off. maybe i'm just ambidextrous enough. when i played piano as a kid, i had a hard time playing with both hands at the same time. i could learn each hand alone, but i couldn't put them together.

i have to think about left/right.

i learned how to drive a stick, but i never did it enough to be able to say that i know how.

i can't play chess.

i can't play an instrument.

i can't learn another language.

i can't braid hair. (i can do a simple braid, but not french or anything similar.)

i can't swallow large pills. dh laughs when i try. (when i was younger and the doctor prescribed pills, my mom had to ask for chew-ables or liquid. i used chewable vitamins into my teens.)

i can't carry a tune. i love music and love singing, but when i'm at birthday parties and it's time to sing happy birthday, i stand far away from everyone and sing in a whisper. that is how bad my singing is.

i can whistle, but nothing impressive -- not loud enough to get someone's attention and certainly can't whistle a tune.

i can't spell out loud. if you ask me how to spell a word, i have to write it down. if you spell something out loud, i have to picture in my mind to read it.
i also can't do math in my head.

i can't remember names or anything for that matter. don't ask me what i wore yesterday, i haven't a clue.

i have a terrible sense of direction. i hate when people are trying to tell me where something is as they say "if your heading north on main street". how do i know which way is north? (unless you are talking about a freeway.) i don't carry a compass! i really need a gps. if i'm trying to go the same target that i always go to, but i'm coming from costco instead of home, i have to drive back home (or close to) and then go from there. :bag

i'm sure there are more . . .

MontrealMum
03-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Actually, if anyone wants to study History at a higher level - and that's even including undergrad these days - they're going to need to be able to read cursive in order to read primary source documents. That's not going to change anytime soon. Actually, anyone that wants to trace their family history and needs to use the manuscript census needs cursive decoding skills. Now, I realize that that is a small subset of the population...but there is still a need :)

That would be my son, if he knew the word publicity. He has this habit of inserting "L's" into the middle of words.

What can't I do?
-knit, even though I've been "taught" several times
-I still don't hold my pen correctly (I'm a lefty) and I just don't care :)
-stop while skating. I can skate - on ice skates or rollerblades - I just can't figure out how to stop gracefully
-dry my hair with a round brush w/o it getting horribly caught
-make crepes, pancakes, or omelettes. I think I'm a fairly accomplished cook, but I leave these to DH.
-skip a rock
-exist in Metric. I *get* the concept. I learned it in 5th grade. But I just can't live in it everyday with heights, weights, speed limits, temperature (OK, that's not Metric, but it's still different). I will never feel comfortable and my math skills, while not bad, are not up to on-the-spot conversions.

Now I could probably add a few more, but they're more things that I used to be able to do that I can't do anymore (cartwheels) rather than things that I could never do in a million years if my life depended on it.

BigDog
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I just thought of another big one:
I can't read a ruler. I'm good with 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4, but all those other lines?! Forget it! I also can't tell you off-the-bat which fraction is greater, like 3/8, 5/16 (is that even a real fraction? I have no idea)... I swear I must've been out sick when they taught rulers/fraction stuff in school.

ijopint
03-23-2011, 02:52 PM

Same here! :tongue5:can't drive but will try this year only for DS sake!

Can't do cartwheel ! and not a good catcher either.
For errands, I have my reliable stroller to depend on, other than that, has to wait for DH to come home.