PDA

View Full Version : K teachers or former K teachers

jgenie
03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Odd question but - If a child brings an orange that needs to be pealed as their snack (which is supposed to be something they can eat unassisted) what do / did you do? TIA

happymom
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
One of my students brought an orange just today....I peeled it without even thinking twice (wearing gloves obviously).....but I'm not particular about this kind of stuff.

boogiemom
03-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I would likely do it once but would let the child know they need to bring it peeled and in a baggie ready to eat next time. Snacks need to be something a child can eat unassisted because the teacher does not have time to individually prepare/ready things to eat for a classroom full of students, especially in a K classroom.

WatchingThemGrow
03-22-2011, 08:41 PM
I would likely do it once but would let the child know they need to bring it peeled and in a baggie ready to eat next time. Snacks need to be something a child can eat unassisted because the teacher does not have time to individually prepare/ready things to eat for a classroom full of students, especially in a K classroom.

:yeahthat: Beginning of the year, I understand. At this point, I'd show them how to get started peeling it themselves... and tell them to practice at home if they wanted to bring them for snacktime. I'd also make it a point to say that it seems like a very healthy snack that didn't come from a can/plastic cup!

MamaKath
03-22-2011, 10:28 PM
:yeahthat: Beginning of the year, I understand. At this point, I'd show them how to get started peeling it themselves... and tell them to practice at home if they wanted to bring them for snacktime. I'd also make it a point to say that it seems like a very healthy snack that didn't come from a can/plastic cup!

:yeahthat: I'd get it start and remind them to bring them peeled from home if this was an issue. I would peel it if they were completely unable though. I don't have access to gloves or a sink in my classroom and do not have a ft aide which would add to my not being too excited to peel completely.

almostamom
03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I'd peel it. It's not a big deal to me. However, I don't think my son's K teacher would. She also doesn't tie shoes.

jgenie
03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks everyone! This came up in conversation this weekend. I had never thought about it. Thanks!!

MichelleRC
03-23-2011, 08:10 AM
I have peeled oranges, tied shoes, buttoned pants, opened go-gurts, whatever. Probably depends on the school, we are a very small, warm-fuzzy kind of place.

JBaxter
03-23-2011, 08:16 AM
"just a mom" but I always score the orange before sending it. just cut through the skin like 95% but leave it attached. Little fingers can pull it off themselves

clc053103
03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
"just a mom" here as well ....

I don't put anything in DS's lunch that can not be opened himself. I preportion snacks in ziplocs or containers (green and cheaper too!) and give him a water bottle he can open himself. This was what was instructed at the beginning of the year. When I am in the classroom helping, I am amazed at the number of kids (and always the same kids) who come up to the teacher or myself asking for a prepackaged snack to be opened, straw put in a juicebox, bottle opened, orange peeled, etc. Now this wonderful teacher has never complained, but I think parents should be considerate and not put anything in a snack bag that can't be opened by the child- or at least not on a regular basis. Just my .02.

sarahsthreads
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Also not a teacher, but a mom - I'll send clementines in because DD1 can peel them by herself (she does at home, anyway!) but not oranges because she can't. If she wanted an orange for snack, I'd peel it and put the sections in one of our fit & fresh containers that has the cold pack inside the lid. I do my best to send in things she can manage by herself, but I asked her this morning if she was able to get her banana peeled by herself yesterday, and she said she needed help starting it.

I'm hoping/assuming that the teacher doesn't mind helping now and then!

Sarah :)

SpaceGal
03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I do my best to send in things DS can take care of himself as well...his teacher isn't very warm and fuzzy and I don't really care too much for him. In the past DS had trouble openign a cup of applesauce, this brand the adhesive was REALLY strong...I found out later that he had trouble and stop sending it because I just didn't want to annoy the teacher. Especially, since he made a point to tell us to have snacks that DS can open/eat himself.