PDA

View Full Version : discipline help for 4 yr old

malphy
03-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Time outs do not work. Counting to 3 does not work. I do not spank.

Tonight I told dd that because she did not do as she was asked I was going to put her princess dresses away for the day. She loves getting dressed in her princess dress.

She told me ok mom lets put them in my closet, up high where I cannot reach them.

WHAT!!!??? How do you counter that? Any other tips? She doesn't seem to care about repercussions. Ftr, I follow up on my punishments so it is not likeshe thinks i am bluffing.

frustrating

mariza
03-22-2011, 09:58 PM
My 4 yo does the same, but more so when he was newly 4, now that he's 4.5 he seems to have gotten a little easier. One day he helped me pack up his Thomas trains when I threatened to take them away :banghead:
I wish I had some good answers for you, we just stuck to our guns with following through on "threats". Hopefully she will outgrow this stage, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone :grouphug:

Melaine
03-22-2011, 10:00 PM
That reminds me of when the girls were crying during ballet class, I said, "well I guess we will have to get rid of your ballet shoes and leotards" and DD1 said, "Can we have a yard sale?"

Sorry, I don't have anything really helpful to add here!

malphy
03-22-2011, 10:02 PM
My 4 yo does the same, but more so when he was newly 4, now that he's 4.5 he seems to have gotten a little easier. One day he helped me pack up his Thomas trains when I threatened to take them away :banghead:
I wish I had some good answers for you, we just stuck to our guns with following through on "threats". Hopefully she will outgrow this stage, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone :grouphug:

It is actually pretty funny but not really, kwim? I had to hide my smile when she told me to put them up high. She even gathered them up, lol.

children and their brains are fascinating to me.