PDA

View Full Version : Cooktop in island? Please share your experiences...

julevizamom
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
So we're finally looking into redoing our kitchen after living with our current one for the last 10 years. I have this fantasy about actually being able to look at people while I'm cooking (or maybe I just don't want them to stare at my butt :innocent:). One issue I have is not wanting a big honking hood hanging in the middle of the kitchen, in which case I'd have to get a pop-up vent system or forgo ventilation altogether. Also, I lose space on the island, although I gain it where the cooktop would normally go. Any advice you could share on this or other dream kitchen items would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

khalloc
03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a cooktop in the island. I'm getting rid of it when I do my kitchen remodel. I like ranges better. I am worried about kids touching the hot cooktop. I also hate how the big pots and pans are right smack in the middle of the kitchen. Ours is an older electric JennAir with a downdraft vent. It doesnt pop up. Its just in the middle of the cooktop.

twowhat?
03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
When (if) we start looking for a larger home, I am definitely ruling out island cooktops (or the price will have to be right for a kitchen remodel). I just can't see how I would like it. Vents won't work as well, and it takes away from a space where everyone can gather around to help prepare something or work on a messy project.

I prefer a separate oven and a separate cooktop, which is what we have in our house now. We're just missing the island.

egoldber
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a cooktop in my island with a pop-up down draft vent. I truly :heartbeat: it very much. We store large pots underneath the cooktop and then have a pot rack habging above it.

I will say that the less frequently used pots on the rack tend to get dusty.

Also, I keep 2 utensil crocks behind the cooktop and that serves as a barrier to kids inadvertantly touching the cooktop while sitting at the island.

ETA: We have plenty of room at the island for homework/projects even with the cooktop. I would not want one if it took up all the island space. The cooktop makes my kitchen much more "social" IMO.

ohsara430
03-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I would only put a cooktop on an island if it were a BIG island. Otherwise it will take up all of the island space and then the whole island is taken up by the cooktop work space. I also worry about little hands or faces getting too close. If you do get the cooktop definitely get the pop-up down draft ventilation - fantastic. Not having any ventilation is a bad idea for yourself and also for resale value reasons.

bnme
03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I have a cooktop in my island with a pop-up down draft vent. I truly :heartbeat: it very much. We store large pots underneath the cooktop and then have a pot rack habging above it.

Also, I keep 2 utensil crocks behind the cooktop and that serves as a barrier to kids inadvertantly touching the cooktop while sitting at the island.

ETA: We have plenty of room at the island for homework/projects even with the cooktop. I would not want one if it took up all the island space. The cooktop makes my kitchen much more "social" IMO.

Our set up almost exactly. But our island is 'L' shaped. I love having a double wall oven and would hate having to go back to one unit. The side of the island that has the cook top has area for stools behind it, but we don't use it that way. The table runs paralell behind it. The other part of the 'L' is my main kitchen work counter with three big drawers.

julevizamom
03-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Our set up almost exactly. But our island is 'L' shaped. I love having a double wall oven and would hate having to go back to one unit. The side of the island that has the cook top has area for stools behind it, but we don't use it that way. The table runs paralell behind it. The other part of the 'L' is my main kitchen work counter with three big drawers.

Can you tell me how large your islands are? We're looking at something like 72" x 37". Thanks!

smiles33
03-23-2011, 05:31 PM
We have a beautiful 36" Miele gas cooktop in the island and a huge Vent-a-Hood island vent over it. Our girls know to stand on their LT if they want to look at something DH is cooking. We also have a double oven. I've never had an island cooktop before but it actually works fine for us. Our island has enough room for a "landing area" on either side of the cooktop and in front/back. I'd guess it's 60" wide and the standard depth. The only complication is the narrow walkway by the fridge due to the island. We overcame that when we got a French door fridge so someone can still walk by when the fridge doors are open.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM

ITA with this, allows me to see the kids and take part in the conversation while I am cooking. Be sure to allow enough room around the island though, too. We have a big island but had the room made larger so two people can comfortably pass each other, a few inches makes a lot of difference!

egoldber
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
My island is irregular, but it is essentially 56"x60". The side where I stand when facing the cooktop is 56" wide. There is about 10-12" on each side of the cooktop.

bnme
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Ours is 37 deep by 87 wide and the 'L' side that the stove top is not on is 28 deep by 44 long.

This picture is from the previous owners real estate listing. My kitchen looks a lot more lived in. We dont have stools at the island, imo it is too narrow. I have a utensil crock and some decorate oil jars directly behind the cook top. Also a rectangular fruit tray/bowl. Our kitchen table is in the large empty space of the secong picture.

egoldber
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, this is NOT the best picture of my kitchen LOL because we were getting new tile, but you can see the shape of the island and the position of the cooktop. The cooktop is on the opposite side of the two utensil crocks.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/egoldber/photo2.jpg

Kungjo
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't mind a sink on one side of a really large island and stools on the other side so the kids can chat with me or do homework while I'm fixing a meal in the kitchen. That would be a such a dream to have.

When we looked at houses, I definitely crossed off houses with cooktops installed on a small island because I worried about my DDs burning themselves or someone tripping and knocking into a pot that is on the cooktop. I think that parents with small children will have that concern. Not sure about them, but it was a dealbreaker for me no matter home much I liked the house.