PDA

View Full Version : Wound dressing suggestions, this isn't working.

Edensmum
03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
DH had a skin cancer removed from the top of his head. He has and open wound that is about twice the size of a quarter.
We are keeping the wound covered with raw honey(the research on this is very cool if you aren't familiar with it)
The trouble with honey is that it becomes very liquid when it's heated to say 98 degrees. So it's basically running out or soaking into the bandage and the wound it drying and scabbing. We are trying to avoid the scabbing to minimize scarring, so this is bad.
We've tried cotton balls, and large bandaids and it's not working well. Any ideas that may make this work better?

liz
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Have you tried Tegaderm (or similar brands)? We use these in the hospital. They are large clear bandages that could go right on top of the wound. You would need to buy a larger size so the bandage has enough of a border to adhere to the skin. You could put the honey (which I have never heard of, BTW!) on the wound and then the bandage directly over it.

They sell these type of bandages at CVS etc. hth

twowhat?
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM
They make waterproof bandages that would cover a wound that size - that'd keep the honey in as long as you apply it before the honey gets all melty, and if you put enough on, some will soak into the bandage but there should still be enough left to stay moist. Good luck!

Tondi G
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
when my sister had skin cancer removed from her face she was told by her derm to keep it WET all the time to prevent scabbing and scarring. She used Aquaphor.

Edensmum
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks, I'll try those. The doc suggested acticoat and microban too. Off to by somethings for dh. He doesn't grow a lot of hair where the wound is so we are worried about scarring.
The trouble is the hair around it makes adhesives hard to stick or if they do, painful to remove.

WolfpackMom
03-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks, I'll try those. The doc suggested acticoat and microban too. Off to by somethings for dh. He doesn't grow a lot of hair where the wound is so we are worried about scarring.
The trouble is the hair around it makes adhesives hard to stick or if they do, painful to remove.

There is a trick to removing Tegaderm or bandages like that. Pull on the edges and stretch them - pull outward, not up and it will release its self from the skin without pulling, air gets in there and breaks the seal. I used to have a picline and it was best thing on earth to figure out otherwise it hurts like *$%( to get off!