PDA

View Full Version : Random Wednesday thought: How do you lose weight without looking totally haggard?

mommy111
03-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I've always wondered about this....after kids, it just seems like I would have to be 5-10lbs below my pre-kid weight to have close to the body that I had pre-kids. I'm not going there, I'm not a movie star or anything and I really don't feel the need for my pre-baby body (well, except I want my old mid-section back!) But I was wondering how you can lose so much weight after having kids and in your 30s or 40s and not look haggard. Some of the celebs I've seen seem to do so well with that (Reese Witherspoon)....others look so haggard compared to where they were (Angelina Jolie, Liz Hurley).
I guess its just a random thought, but topical now because I'm trying to lose weight and figure out how much is too much. So, what are your strategies?

pinkmomagain
03-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Do you mean haggard in the face? If so, in addition to losing weight, aging can really take the life and extra, healthy padding in your face right out of ya. Aside from injectable fillers, not sure what the solution is -- except to keep on a few extra pounds even if it means you body doesn't look exactly as you want it. I came to realize this after getting down to 119 on WW a few years ago. My face looked horrible and my body -- even though it was thin -- was not toned at all. Now I'm happy if I can get/stay between 125-129 (I'm 5'4 btw).

I'll be watching this thread, though, to see if anyone has some good answers!

daisymommy
03-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, two answers. I know that certain parts of our body such as our stomach, when we lose the weight will look saggy and floppy unless we tone them up really well--and even then they will not (for most normal women) ever look the same after having children. You can't fit a whole human being being inside your stomach area and expect it to ever snap back into place nice and taut.
But other than your stomach and breasts, I would say if you look haggard in the face or just overall, that sounds nutrient deficient and like you are going way to low calorie and low fat. I did that to myself after having DD. Even my hair fell out (more than the typical PP hair loss). I felt and looked sick. But hey, I was skinny! (eye-roll). I changed how I ate, gained back a little of it, but was a good healthy trim weight and everyone said I looked like I was glowing. So it can be done--just don't starve yourself and lose it too fast!

mommy111
03-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Yup, I did mean haggard in the face :) I'm not there yet, but I'm nearly at my pre-partum weight and would like to lose a little more but I think I'm going to stop because I really wouldn't want my face to look too thin or too old. Also, I've noticed that the skin on people's face loses its glow when they lose too much weight.
Clearly I've been ruminating on weight loss a LOT these past few weeks :)

AnnieW625
03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
For me I have had great luck with Weight Watchers, some weeks it's better than others and I have now lost 4lbs in the last 5 weeks that I have been following the program. I still have 15lbs to go, but would prefer 20 lbs (and then will be a lifetimer at WW again) and that should get me back to the weight I was prior to getting pregnant with the baby we lost and within 10lbs of my pre DD1 weight. One of the best advice I have gotten is that the longer it takes to lose weight the longer it will stay off. I have also resigned myself to the fact that while my stomach is pretty flat it will never be as flat as it once was and that I will never have a small butt again. I had almost no butt prior to having kids.

I really think that the haggard look comes from smoking, not eating enough good healthy food, heredity, and probably a very low calorie diet.

Congrats on losing those 14lbs:)

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2011, 02:43 PM
The speed of the weight loss and the health of the diet seem to play a role. I also think that some people might have an ideal # in their head but look better at a different, higher number. There was a discussion on here a few months ago about ideal weights. It was interesting that people at the same height had different numbers where they felt they looked best.

Beth

scriptkitten
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
its just how it is... after a certain age you get too choose between your butt or your face.

:)

my face looks best when i'm above 135.. i'm not happy with my body unless i'm 125. (i'm 5'9)

mommy111
03-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Congrats on losing those 14lbs:)
Thank you! It took me over 2 yrs to do it so I guess I don't have to worry about fast weight loss here.

its just how it is... after a certain age you get too choose between your butt or your face.

:)

:ROTFLMAO:I can't see my butt so I don't worry about that at all (I've given that up as a lost cause). Its my lack of waist that I mourn.

Babymakes3
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Ignore this post please! Somehow I managed to post it in the wrong thread...it's been one of those days!

StantonHyde
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Even when I was in my 30s, if I got to 155 I started looking too thin in my face and my rib bones were starting to get visible on my chest. I'm 5'10" and know people who weigh say 140 or so and they don't look too thin. But 155 was the number for me. Right now I am happy with 170 and toned (I'm 46). That puts me below a BMI of 25 and I can maintain that weight. I love the new WW program because I am eating really healthy. And I am doing sprint triathlons. Needless to say, I consider myself to be very healthy. Sure, I could always do better, but I'll take what I've got.

mackmama
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I tend to look haggard in the face after I lose weight, but this only lasts for about a month until the weight kind of redistributes (not gaining it back, it just kind of shifts around so my face ends up filling out a little more). I've heard it can take up to a year after weight loss for skin to regain its elasticity.

sunnyside
03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Oh wow! There is a mom and 2 girls that come to storytime at our library on occasion. The oldest girl is still wearing diapers (they are adult diapers btw I saw them one day) but I would guess she's at least 3 or 4 because the younger sister has to be almost 2. Mom isn't huge but the oldest daughter is huge, not quite to this little boys size but getting there. I have only EVER seen her wearing dresses i'm guessing because they can't find pants to fit her. A friend that goes with me comments on it nearly everytime bc it's just so sad. Little sister is definitely chubby for her age but not like the older daughter.

I can't quite figure out the relevance of the above.

daisymommy
03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I think the previous post was meant to go in the thread about the little boy who couldn't stop eating. Maybe a moderator can move it?

mezzona
03-23-2011, 05:07 PM

lol! you are right. that is what it comes down to!

Babymakes3
03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I think the previous post was meant to go in the thread about the little boy who couldn't stop eating. Maybe a moderator can move it?

It was! I have NO IDEA how I did that either. I went back to read the other post and was stumped because I couldn't find my earlier post. I must have had 2 screens open or something...geeez! Sorry!

mommy111
03-24-2011, 01:40 AM
It was! I have NO IDEA how I did that either. I went back to read the other post and was stumped because I couldn't find my earlier post. I must have had 2 screens open or something...geeez! Sorry!
No problem...I almost spit tea over my screen reading that response, even though I understood it should have gone into the other thread.

brgnmom
03-24-2011, 02:12 AM
congrats on losing the weight over 2 years. :applause:

w/ regards to your question, I would think that losing weight steadily (as you already accomplished) with healthy modifications would help maintain your looks. :) OTOH, if someone had a crash diet, skimped on healthy fats (omega unsaturated) & nutrients, and/or smoked regularly, then she would be more likely to look haggard... unless she was blessed w/ great genes or an awesome dermatologist (like many Hollywood stars). :hysterical:

congrats again... I have about ten pounds to go until I reach my pre-pregnancy weight, but 20 pounds to go until I reach my college weight. I don't think I'll ever get down to the latter goal, but I'm happy at my current weight (I've lost about 5 pounds in the past 1.5 months). I think a healthy amount of padding in the face helps maintain youthfulness - regardless of the numerical age.

by the way, do you take a DHA supplement? That may help as well.

dogmom
03-24-2011, 07:15 AM
It's probably genetics and age. Also remember the women you mention are below a healthy body weight. Coming to the age part, I heard a saying a years ago that when you get to a certain age you have to "Choose between your ass or your face to look good." You loose elasticity in your skin, especially your face as you age. Some good face fat can fill out those wrinkles. I have clearly chosen my face. ;)

egoldber
03-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Some of the celebs I've seen seem to do so well with that

Almost all actresses are surgically enhanced or airbrushed or both. You just can't compare to that. And frankly, most women I know IRL in their 40s who look too good to be true either 1) don't work and live at the gym, 2) have been surgically enhanced in some way or 3) were genetically blessed.

Even when I am in great shape and very toned, I am at the high end of the BMI range for my height. To get into the mid range would mean making some choices I am simply not willing to make because they are not sustainable for me long term.

mommy111
03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I've always wonderd about the surgical enhancement thing, you must have had a liposuction or a tummy tuck to have a completely flat belly and toned butt and yet still have fat in your face post baby.
Either that, or you're genetically blessed.

mommy111
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
congrats on losing the weight over 2 years. :applause:

w/ regards to your question, I would think that losing weight steadily (as you already accomplished) with healthy modifications would help maintain your looks. :) OTOH, if someone had a crash diet, skimped on healthy fats (omega unsaturated) & nutrients, and/or smoked regularly, then she would be more likely to look haggard... unless she was blessed w/ great genes or an awesome dermatologist (like many Hollywood stars). :hysterical:

congrats again... I have about ten pounds to go until I reach my pre-pregnancy weight, but 20 pounds to go until I reach my college weight. I don't think I'll ever get down to the latter goal, but I'm happy at my current weight (I've lost about 5 pounds in the past 1.5 months). I think a healthy amount of padding in the face helps maintain youthfulness - regardless of the numerical age.

by the way, do you take a DHA supplement? That may help as well.
Congratulations, wish I could do that and that fast!!!
No, I don't take any suplements and I'm starting to think that I should!

brgnmom
03-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Congratulations, wish I could do that and that fast!!!
No, I don't take any suplements and I'm starting to think that I should!

I love my prenatal with DHA supplement - I get a generic brand that is covered by my health insurance company w/ a copay.

thanks for the congrats! ;) I think I lost the weight b/c I'm nursing more (supplementing too b/c my DD's appetite surpasses my supply), somewhat sleep-deprived (fortunately, DD is sleeping longer stretches at night) and I'm 4-months postpartum. lol. otherwise it takes me a much longer time to lose weight and I don't think I'll ever get back to my college weight realistically. my workouts recently have consisted of chasing after my active preschooler and walking... not much accomplished at an actual gym lately. (I do play the DDR PS3 game sometimes - DH encourages it, since I haven't had time recently to go the gym b/c we're getting ready for a move).

p.s. I just saw this randomly from yahoo (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/how-to-age-like-a-supermodel-2464938/#photoViewer=8), in case anyone's interested.

georgiegirl
03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
I thought I was haggard because of sleep deprivation. But I guess it's age. I'm at my pre pregnancy weight, but my butt is bigger and I'm haggard. Oh the joys of being 37. Maybe if my 20 month old DS would sleep through the night I'd be less haggard. I guess I shouldn't complain since I had no problem losing my pregnancy weight.