PDA

View Full Version : Lactose intolerant and travel

SoloMelody
03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I am traveling to Asia in a couple of weeks. We will be there for 2 weeks. DD is lactose intolerant. She generally drinks lactaid milk or any lactose free milk.

I want to carry something that is "milk" like for travel and also for occassional drinking. Considering
- airlines dont let me carry liquids in carry on
- cannot find lactose free milk in single serve pouches
- I dont want to pack a gallon of milk in checkin bag

What are my options? Is there a toddler lactose free formula(DD is 3) in powder form?

DD just likes her milk and cereal......I know I can buy soymilk(lactose free milk not available) once I get to the destination but we generally dont drink it here. What do I do?

connor_mommy
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
How about rice milk? You can probably get a letter from your pedi saying your DD is allergic to dairy. TSA should allow you carry a couple of the single serve cartons onto the plane. I've seen them at Whole Foods. http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Enriched-Original-Organic-8-Ounce/dp/B000LKZDTW

If you have room in your suitcase, you could also a pack two of the larger cartons. That should last about 2 weeks. DH is lactose intolerant, too. He takes a lactaid pill before eating foods containing dairy. I'm not sure how that would work with your DD.

rlu
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Do you not want to use the lactaid tablets? They are OTC so I wouldn't think there'd be a problem taking them abroad.

logan's mom
03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I have no experience with this product...but found this:
http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec/product_id/58793/nm/More+Than+Milk-Dairy+Free+Milk+Substitute+-+Family+Size

mytwosons
03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Do you not want to use the lactaid tablets? They are OTC so I wouldn't think there'd be a problem taking them abroad.

:yeahthat: They have chewables too.

justlearning
03-23-2011, 03:42 PM
How about rice milk? You can probably get a letter from your pedi saying your DD is allergic to dairy. TSA should allow you carry a couple of the single serve cartons onto the plane. I've seen them at Whole Foods. http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Enriched-Original-Organic-8-Ounce/dp/B000LKZDTW

If you have room in your suitcase, you could also a pack two of the larger cartons. That should last about 2 weeks. DH is lactose intolerant, too. He takes a lactaid pill before eating foods containing dairy. I'm not sure how that would work with your DD.

We always buy these Rice Milk cartons from Costco but in the 1-quart size. They don't need to be refrigerated before opening and have worked great for travel for us.

SoloMelody
03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Never thought of rice milk as an option.
Will have DD try some this week and make sure she dosent mind the difference.

Will also get a ped note to get it through TSA.

justlearning
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Never thought of rice milk as an option.
Will have DD try some this week and make sure she dosent mind the difference.

Will also get a ped note to get it through TSA.

There are also soy milk cartons that don't need to be refrigerated. (You'll find them on the health-food aisle usually). Those come in chocolate too in case that would be more appealing to your DD. I think you can also get chocolate rice milk too.

SoloMelody
03-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I should have said this earlier but I have some reservations consuming soy in large quantities.....6-12 oz of milk everyday for 2 weeks falls in large quantity category.

Thanks anyway.

justlearning
03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
I should have said this earlier but I have some reservations consuming soy in large quantities.....6-12 oz of milk everyday for 2 weeks falls in large quantity category.

Thanks anyway.

I understand--that's why we do rice milk instead of soy milk. My boys also like almond milk, but the type that we buy is refrigerated (Silk brand). I'm not sure if you could buy those not refrigerated.

Tondi G
03-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Thanks anyway.

I would buy Almond milk. Trader joes carries the cartons that don't need to be refridgerated. I buy the organic ones there. But Blue diamond sells the cartons as well.

http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=51