PDA

View Full Version : Soap

MoeJoe
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
I really just want to know what kind of bar soap you use for the shower and what you do or don't like about it. Either for yourself or your husband- don't mean the kids. If you use liquid soap, you can mention that too- but I'm not into that.
And I'm curious how many of you *use* bar soap!

daisymommy
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM
I use Dove unscented bar soap. Not a long list of weird ingredients.
DH is stuck on Coast bar soap.

LMPC
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM
DH uses body wash. I use bar soap. I like a glycerine soap if I have some. Right now I am using Burt's Bees. It's okay...not sure what I don't like about it. I like more mild soaps. Often times, I can find some at Homegoods/TJMaxx for cheap that are pretty natural.

MamaKath
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
We use dr bronners Castile soap which comes as liquid or bars. We'll also use dove at times since the other can be hard to find.

boilermakermom
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
We use Dove Unscented bar soap. It lasts much longer then the liquid soap. I use the Clinique bar soap for my face.

There is one bar of Dove in our shower (DH and I) and one bar in dd's bathroom.

MamaKath
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh and recently we got some bars from burt's bees which we like.

lizzywednesday
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I take whatever's in that particular shower, though I prefer bar soap to shower gel. One shower has a bottle of St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter shower gel; the other shower has bar soap.

I've been using the Method Olive Leaf soap for a couple of years with no ill effects, except during my 1st trimester of my pregnancy when EVERYTHING bothered me. (I even started using Dial Antibacterial for a while because I'd catch a whiff of the Method stuff and get queasy.)

To use the bar soap, I lather it up in my hands.
To use the shower gel, I put a little bit on a scrubby pouf

PunkyBoo
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I use Dove unscented bar soap. Not a long list of weird ingredients.

:yeahthat: We also use that for the kids. Deson't make me or DH smell weird and doesn't dry out my dry, excema-prone skin.

bnme
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I was using body wash (just whatever was on sale-Olay, Dove, St. Ives) or Lever 2000 (what DH uses) when that ran out. I recently started using Dove and have noticed my skin is much softer. I grew up using mostly Dove. Then in my single career days i was using whatever body wash struck my fancy ($ was not an object-lol).

FTMLuc
03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Dove bar soap, either cucmber scented or extra moisturazing (the one's that costco sells).

mackmama
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Dove unscented bar. It's pretty moisturizing.

Moneypenny
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
We use Dove or Ivory bar soap. Just the plain kinds.

ladysoapmaker
03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
I make my own soap. (hence ladysoapmaker)

I like it as it keeps the natural glycerin in the bar (commercials bars it's taken out) so my skin feels less dry and irritated after washing with it.

I find when DS#2 is havign his allergic reactions to soy, my soap doesn't cause additional reactions like any other soap.

Jen

WolfpackMom
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Dove unscented bar. I grew up using Dove too :)

arivecchi
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I had no idea so many people still used bars. I really dislike bars!

KLD313
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
I use Dove, no specific one just the one I feel like buying when I see it.

AnnieW625
03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Another family that uses Dove unscented bar soap. Sometimes I'll use some body wash. I have some my sister gave me from Victoria's Secret and then some of the Trader Joe's brand citrus body wash. A friend of mine makes some soaps too and when she does I buy a couple of bars from her.

schrocat
03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
DH and I use Grandpa's Pine Tar soap. Switched to that after I got PUPPS postpartum with DS2. We used body wash before that.

mezzona
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
south of France shea butter soap. yes it's a bar. I like that it is all natural ingredients, including the fragrance. it's moisturizing for sure. uhhh I don't like what it or any bar soap does with our hard water. it is such a pain to clean our tub.

eta. I prefer dove too, but dh complains it is not as moisturizing. honestly I can't tell because our water is so hard.

boltfam
03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I used to always use body wash but recently switched to bar soap. I really love the Dr. Bronners bar.

MoeJoe
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
south of France shea butter soap. yes it's a bar. I like that it is all natural ingredients, including the fragrance. it's moisturizing for sure. uhhh I don't like what it or any bar soap does with our hard water. it is such a pain to clean our tub.

eta. I prefer dove too, but dh complains it is not as moisturizing. honestly I can't tell because our water is so hard.

That is so interesting! Bec. that is why I was asking this question to begin with. We also have pretty hard water and the tub constantly has film on it- I hate it! Is it bec. of the bar soap with the hard water?

calv
03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
we use tone soap. Maybe I should look into the ingredient list. Anyone else use this?

http://www.drugstore.com/tone-cocoa-butter-bar-soap-4-5-oz-bars-original-scent/qxp69386?fromsrch=tone+soap

chottumommy
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I use Chargin Valley soaps. Love them and they are so moisturizing. I have never had a soap film on the tub. We have fairly hard water.

Beckylove
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
We also use dove unscented bar soap.

I hate the soap gunk that sticks to the shower walls and drain. I hate having to scrub or use harsh chemical cleaners to make the shower look clean.

But my husband refuses to use any body wash because it is too girly. This is one disagreement I am just letting him win. Boo.

maestramommy
03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Dove sensitive skin.

elephantmeg
03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
dial or safeguard (whichever I can find in the multipacks). Has to be gold. It's what I used growing up and I can't seem to get out of the habbit!

MontrealMum
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Another vote for Dove unscented. I also like to pamper myself with soap from my favorite Etsy soapmakers from time to time. No problems with soap film.

DH likes a pump, and usually the brands that are highly scented. I am extremely sensitive to smells and I've recently gotten him to switch to one of the Method ones which isn't so strong.

happymom
03-23-2011, 04:29 PM
I use Caress bodywash (looove it) with a poof. DH uses Irish Spring bar soap. We use Cetaphil bar soap for DD as per the pediatrician's rec- he said its even gentler than Dove.

BabbyO
03-23-2011, 04:29 PM
DH got me hooked on Lever 2000, then switched to liquid soap himself. I may finish off the batch we have and go back to liquid soap. Believe it or not, because we have hard water, we go through bar soap faster than liquid soap (because of the lather factor, I'm sure).

My favorite, though, is homemade by my Aunt...I just don't get to see her often enough to use it on a regular basis.

Indianamom2
03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
I use Oil of Olay bar soap with Shea Butter. I can't use anything else to shave with or I get horrid razor burn.

JoyNChrist
03-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Dr. Bronner's liquid (I like the peppermint best). I've never seen the bars - I'll have to look!

twindad
03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
We both use Trader Joe's Oatmeal Honey Bar Soap.

Our dds use a foaming soap - some sort of 'natural' kind. Don't remember the brand.

mezzona
03-23-2011, 04:45 PM
That is so interesting! Bec. that is why I was asking this question to begin with. We also have pretty hard water and the tub constantly has film on it- I hate it! Is it bec. of the bar soap with the hard water?

I've read that pretty much all bar soaps do create soap scum (eta in hard water specifically), except perhaps Castile soaps and lever 2000. I have not tried either myself. may be worth a try if that is what you're trying to resolve. I would try Castile myself because of the good ingredient list but I can't stand the smell. anyway hth

ett
03-23-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't but DH uses dove sensitive.

DietCokeLover
03-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I use liquid, DH uses Ivory bar, and the DC get cetaphil.

wellyes
03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't but DH uses dove sensitive.
You don't use soap? What do you use? Or do you not use anything?
I am over liquid soaps. Too foamy, which at first seemed AWESOME but now feels kind of unnatural.

ohsara430
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Cetaphil bar

MommyAllison
03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I use WAHM bar soap - love it!

salsah
03-23-2011, 09:05 PM
i like liquid but dh does not. we have both in the shower.

tarahsolazy
03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a friend that makes soap, natural vegetable soap, and I use that or Pre de Provence soap, another natural vegetable one. I've also used other WAHM soaps. Love them, wouldn't go back to commercial soap. DH uses Dial.

nupe
03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
For the most parts:
dove or kirkland equivalent (which is vegan) which i think i prefer. MOre info on kirkland soap. Wonder why they don't put this on the label!! I would have bought it years ago.
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200907/?pg=79#pg79

And for stinky pits:
lever, probably bc that is what DH uses and likes, and i've tried it before. I hate to think about this, but really had no choice because my exercise clothes were so gross i was no the very verge of discarding them all for stinky pits. I don't dare use lever all over --bc 1) it will give me awful excema and 2) i don't care for the smells. Since I switched to lever and ran my clothes through the sanitize/steam cycle just once, it's like they are all new!!

So I have 2 bars of soap for me in the shower

For kids, dove/kirkland like above or cetaphil liquid depending on how dry their skin may be.

ahrimie
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
We use Dove too :)

infomama
03-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I use chocolate almond soap from Chagrin Valley Soap. I love it. I also use it to wash my face. I have sensitive and sometimes dry skin. Love CVSC. http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars.htm

vludmilla
03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
I use the oatmeal almond bar soap from Trader Joe's.

Katigre
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
I love Dr. Bronner's bar soap for the shower.

Beth24
03-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Another Dove user!

LexyLou
03-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I voted yes but I only use soap in the "stinky regions"...armpits, the "privates", and my feet. I use a moisturizing body wash for the rest. :)

jgenie
03-24-2011, 12:41 AM
DH fills my stocking with L'Occitane soap so we use that until it runs out then we use soaps from etsy or a coop.

Melanie
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM
I love the Green Tea bar from Trader JOe's. It's yummy and the only bar soap Dh & I could ever agree on. We stockpile it lest they discontinue. :)

MoeJoe
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies! We'll probably try Dove next, but may just go to liquid to see if that helps w/ soap scum.