PDA

View Full Version : Would you let your DC play with these...

boltfam
03-23-2011, 03:19 PM
MIL keeps giving DS (age 3) my DH's old matchbox cars from when he was a child. A lot of them have paint missing, and I try to make DS play with them in his room or keep them out of DD's reach. He doesn't, though, and I can't really keep DD away from them at all times. She is 10 months and puts EVERYTHING in her mouth.

Is there anyway I can find out if these cars have lead paint in them? WWYD? DS and MIL would be heartbroken if I got rid of them all.

LMPC
03-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Can you just put them up until your lil' one is slightly older and out of that everything-goes-in-the-mouth stage?

niccig
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Can you just put them up until your lil' one is slightly older and out of that everything-goes-in-the-mouth stage?

:yeahthat: I love that DS has some of DH's matchbox cars - some of them are older than me!

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
For my ds1 Hot Wheels were a 3yo+ toy. I'd at least keep them out of circulation till old enough not to put things in the mouth all the time. Otherwise I'd be ok with them.

Beth

khalloc
03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes, I would let my DC play with them.

momof2girls
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
My MIL did the same thing when they were babies. I reluctantly let my kids play with them and they are fine now at ages 5.5 and 8.

artvandalay
03-23-2011, 03:28 PM
I would not let my DC play with them until they were done putting things in their mouth.

boilermakermom
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
MIL tried giving DD my SIL's old dolls to play with when she was abOut 1-2. The dolls were dirty, hair messy, same for other toys her children had growing up.

I just wasn't comfortable with it. I told her to please put them aside, and save them when SIL has kids. (SIL thought I was ridiculous for saying no to the toys.)

I purchased newer/new toys to keep at MIL house.

Can you replace them with something else? Maybe newer matchbox cars?

vonfirmath
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd make it an older child only toy if the younger child is putting it in the mouth

OTOH, I'd do that with current generation Hot Wheels too. They have small parts.

My 3.5 year old son has a couple of his dad's old car (that were Grandpa's before him) and loves them.

If we went to my parents' house, he'd have MY old Hot wheels/Matchbox cars to play with.

daisymommy
03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't. Before 1974 Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels had lead paint, and also lead in the metal. So even if he wasn't putting them in his mouth, it can still be absorbed through the skin. And if he put his hands in his mouth, then in goes the lead as well.

It's sad, I know, but I would feel alot better replacing them.

boltfam
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

I've considered that but DS plays with them every single day. That's his favorite thing to play with, and MIL brings him another one of DH's cars every time she sees him (2x/month at least).

Maybe I could just let DS play with the car the day MIL brings it and then put it up to join the others? I know DS would revolt initially it I took them all away but maybe he would get used to not playing with them and it could be a special thing for him to play with?

AnnieW625
03-23-2011, 03:48 PM
How old is your DH? When we go to my parents I let DD1 play with my old cars from the late 1970s and that my siblings had in the mid to late 80s. I was born in 1977. Like DaisyMommy said anything pre 74 (the ones my BIL had) would be up on a shelf. They should have dates underneath the cars.

boltfam
03-23-2011, 03:51 PM
How old is your DH? When we go to my parents I let DD1 play with my old cars from the late 1970s and that my siblings had in the mid to late 80s. I was born in 1977. Like DaisyMommy said anything pre 74 (the ones my BIL had) would be up on a shelf. They should have dates underneath the cars.

DH was born in 1981, so the cars are probably no older than '83 -'84.

daisymommy
03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Gosh I feel old ;) I just assume sometimes everyone is as old as me, and that the cars are back in the lead-paint era, LOL!

boltfam
03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Gosh I feel old ;) I just assume sometimes everyone is as old as me, and that the cars are back in the lead-paint era, LOL!

You "look" young to me! :wink2: Even if the cars aren't from before '74, should I still be concerned?

mmommy
03-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I'd let the DC play with them, but I know I tend to fret less than others about these things.
(oh, and thanks for making some of us feel old :ROTFLMAO:)

Melanie
03-23-2011, 11:11 PM
That would be one of those things that is okay at Grandma's house, but not at home. I would find a way to say "Those are great to keep at your house for when he visits!"

We did that with a lot of things for various reasons. One relative just stopped giving toys once we set up a box at their house to put anything in they would like to buy (which were usually noisy, obnoxious and nothing I'd want IN my house), and the other happily set up their own playroom. So, YMMV on how it's received.

kijip
03-24-2011, 03:01 AM
Yes, I do, but my husband and bils cars are from the late 70s and early 80s.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-24-2011, 05:23 AM
i would, but DH was born in '78 so most of his toys are from the 80s, plus my DS is already at the age where he doesn't automatically stick everything in his mouth.

BayGirl2
03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Isn't there a lead paint test available for toys? I recall reading about those somewhere. Not sure about cost or accuracy though.

DH is saving some of his for DS. He was born in '70 and has older siblings so I am not curious if there's a way to test them.

newg
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
You can get a lead paint test kit at a Lowes or Home Depot type store......probably in the paint dept.
It's just a little brush type thing that you rub on the object and I belive it turns a color if it comes in contact with lead.
My mom tested all of her grandmother's plates this way.......

boltfam
03-25-2011, 03:57 PM
You can get a lead paint test kit at a Lowes or Home Depot type store......probably in the paint dept.
It's just a little brush type thing that you rub on the object and I belive it turns a color if it comes in contact with lead.
My mom tested all of her grandmother's plates this way.......

Good to know! I'll have to check that out.