PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get dressed up/dolled to the nines?

smiles33
03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
I am SUPER excited about my brother's wedding now that I have found a great dress and a really awesome makeup artist and hairstylist who can deal with my issues (e.g., I have Asian "monolids" so I don't have an eyelid crease for eyeshadow, which means non-Asian makeup artists always make me look like I have 2 black eyes or like a little girl playing with her mom's makeup).

It just strikes me as a little sad that I haven't dressed up and really dolled up since my wedding almost 9 years ago!!! I've been to a few other weddings since then (including one where I was the matron of honor so I did get my hair done), but I haven't done the whole shebang regularly like I used to when I was single. I would have a full face of make-up and put a lot of effort into my hair when I was in college. I also went to more formal evening events pre-marriage.

What about you? Poll coming!

SnuggleBuggles
03-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I voted other. A few times/ year I get myself in pretty darned nice shape for one thing or another (usually a wedding though maybe a night out with dh and/ or friends)). I don't get my hair professionally done in those cases though as I am pretty decent at doing my own hair. Sometimes I do time a haircut to be the day before an event as my hair always looks better on day 2 and they can do some things with my hair that I can't. :) But, I don't set appointments to get my hair done. Makeup? I'm good that that too. Not professional good but still quite presentable.

Last year we had a ton of weddings to go to and I am bummed that there are none on the horizon nor anything really dressy coming up.

Beth

lizzywednesday
03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I haven't gotten professional hair & makeup since my own wedding 4 years ago this May.

However, I'm usually skilled enough to do my own hair if I have a good cut and can usually do a very nice "evening" face in 5 minutes.

twowhat?
03-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Hmmm, The only thing I've had professionally done was hair/makeup for my bridal portraits...7 years ago. The guy did an amazing makeup job but a horrible hair job which I took down and totally re-did at home. I did my own hair/makeup for my wedding.

The last time I got dressed up was for a company holiday party 2 years ago. Black dress, belly binder, and a moderate amount of makeup. That's it!

mackmama
03-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Before baby, probably a few times per year. Since baby - not once!

maestramommy
03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
It used to be once a year from someone's wedding, but lately it hasn't even been that much. However, this fall Dh's cousin is getting married, so I'll have another chance. Probably have to get a new dress, since none of my dressy stuff will fit right. :tongue5:

jenfromnj
03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
We used to go to blacktie events for my job pretty often--my firm would buy tables at various charity functions, etc and "strongly suggest" that we attend.

We also had a long stretch from about 2004-2008 when most of our friends got married, so there was a lot of dressing up for weddings, too.

Now that I'm not working f/t, most of our friends are already married, and we don't indiscriminately spend money on nice meals out all the time, my chances to get all dressed up have dwindled to about zero. Which is probably good, since I doubt any my formal dresses fit my post-baby hips and chest.

TwinFoxes
03-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Except for professional hair, I get dolled up a couple times a year. But I never get my hair professionally done because I trust myself more. :) DH and I go out for our anniversary, and usually for a birthday dinner.

Pre kids it was a lot more...but probably most people would say that!

Melaine
03-23-2011, 04:22 PM
I have never had my hair and makeup done professionally, not even for my wedding. I did get my nails done for prom, and that was the only time. I am pretty good about doing my own hair and my sister or friends have done my makeup for important events.

BabbyO
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, we had a black tie holiday party in 2005 or 2006 that we went to. I didn't get hair or makeup done, but I did consult my stylist about my hair (she was booked for the day).

Other than that, I guess my brother's wedding last year...but I just didn't feel it because I was nursing DS and scrambling around Hicktown, USA. I never feel "to the 9's" in a bridesmaid dress...I don't know why...

JoyNChrist
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Not often. Most of the weddings we get invited to aren't black tie or super formal.

But I voted once a year because we joined a Mardi Gras krewe this year, so I'll have at least one ball to attend every year from now on. :)

momof2girls
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
the last time was for my sis' wedding in 2006...before that it was for my wedding in 2000...I don't think I'll be getting hair/makeup done again until my DDs get married!

DietCokeLover
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Not since my senior high prom, and I think that was the only time.

I did my own hair and makeup for my wedding, though I did get a pedicure for it.

I've had my makeup done at the clinique counter a couple of times in the distant past when trying out new makeup or something and always felt like I walked away looking like a hooker, so I've never really wanted to have that done again.

xmasbabycomin
03-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd say I get "dolled up" w/full makeup (I consider more than two kinds of makeup onmy eyes AND foundation) at least once a year, b/c we usually go out for our anniversary.

BUT I've rarely ever had my hair 'done' for an event, except a few weddings I've been in. I'm geting my makeup and hair done to be in my sis's wedding next month. I figure if I have to wear a strapless dress with these 36Gs, the rest of me will just have to look it's best ;) (sorry, tmi) Can't believe some of y'all did your own makeup for your weddings. Do you not trust others, did you have small weddings, small budgets, talented friends, what?

Once I got my hair done when we got a family portrait-that was money well spent. I knew it would be chaos, but at least there was one thing I didn't have to worry about!

elliput
03-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Other. As in never, ever been to get my hair and/or make up done by a professional. Not even for my own wedding. :shrug:

mommylamb
03-23-2011, 06:53 PM
My company has a black tie event at our annual meeting, so at least once a year. But, I don't have my hair/makeup done professionally for that. Then there are the odd weddings (though we're done with those for the most part now) and random other events.

AnnieW625
03-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I had to vote other because while I did get my hair professionally done for my wedding I did my own makeup for my wedding. I researched makeup artists but I couldn't justify the $70+ cost for it if I was just going to wash the makeup. I spent about $100 on makeup at the MAC counter, Laura Mercier counter, and Merle Norman (yes you can combine those two brands flawlessly (meaning MAC and Merle Norman)!), and had recently bought some great Trish McEvoy makeup brushes (that I still use). I did pay about $80 to have my hair done in an updo for my wedding but that was a must. I am very deficient when it comes to my hair.

The next time I will most likely have my hair styled for a professional even will most likely be my brother or sister's wedding. I'll most likely do my own makeup then too.

LMPC
03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Other. As in never, ever been to get my hair and/or make up done by a professional. Not even for my own wedding. :shrug:

This is SO me! The one time I did go to a "professional" was in 8th grade for some dance...the lady burned my head with a curling iron. So my hesitancy for getting my hair done is not complete paranoia!

For my wedding, I did my makeup and my friend did my hair. I looked fine. That's all I wanted. I don't know how to do dressed up...never have.

Jo..
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Same here. I've never had my hair or makeup done by a pro, never had a manicure, and have had one pedicure in my life. I am so not a glam girl.

elektra
03-23-2011, 09:11 PM
It's been about every year for me. I had a pro/ friend help me at my wedding 6 years ago and then for the oscars last year. I have been to some formal events between those two things but I never had anyone help me for those times. It's fun getting dolled up!

kijip
03-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Never? I have never worn full make-up in my life. I never had my hair styled professionally outside of getting it cut. Not even for my wedding. It is just not my thing. I dress up fairly often for events and social things but makeup is not part of that for me. Every so often I might do lipstick and mascara. I have not had eye shadow on since 2002. I have never applied liquid makeup to my face. Water, cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen,very occasional lip balm is about as much as I do for my face. :tongue5:

essnce629
03-24-2011, 03:03 AM
I've never had my hair professionally styled for an event before-- I do it myself and my makeup too. I usually get dressed up when DBF and I go out for Valentine's day, plus other events throughout the year-- Mother's Day, friends' birthday dinners, etc. I'd say weddings too, but I haven't been to a wedding in 5 years! We have one coming up in June though.

momm
03-24-2011, 07:46 AM
I voted other, because pre-baby I had a few occasions. Work parties, work get-togethers, friends' weddings.
Post-baby consider myself dressed up if I wear a nice top.

If another wedding comes along now of course I will dress up but I haven't had the chance post-baby

MoJo
03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
I've never had my makeup professionally done, but I did learn how to do it myself pretty well at Merle Norman.

I've only had my hair professionally styled for one event in my life, and that was a friend's wedding. But if I could do it over again, having my hair professionally styled would be in the top three things I'd change for my own wedding. (I was in several weddings but only had my hair done for the one).

We were among the last of our college friends to get married, 13 years ago. Nearly all of our post-marriage friends are older and already married. I think we're going to get our very first wedding reception invitation as a married couple in the next month. And the reception is at a farm house, so I don't imagine it's going to be dressy at all.

Since my first was born. . . I've only been out two times without them. Once was a local diner, and the other was a Steak 'n Shake. I didn't get dressed up at all for those! I get more dressed up for holiday parties, which I take the kids to.

DH isn't into dressing up at all, and if he's unhappy then I have a hard time having a good time. So we don't.