PDA

View Full Version : Any Trexemet Users Out There?

Indianamom2
03-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Does anyone use Trexemet for migraines? My ObGYN gave me a sample last month and after reading all the warnings, I'm just a little leary. It seems so strong, but I need to find something that works.

Just curious if anyone uses it and how it works?

WolfpackMom
03-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I used it for maybe 6 months. I have had migraines for so long though (since age 6) that meds have tendency to work for me for a short period of time and then my headaches adapt and I need something else. It worked fine when I did use it though.

xmasbabycomin
03-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Yep, I use it. I believe it's just Imitrex, which has been around forever (I first took that in the 90's I think), and naproxen, with some sorta special release formula so they can say it's better than just taking the two separately. I find it works a little better than Imitrex. I understand your reluctance, but Imitrex is in the triptan family, which is a pretty common drug. Just be careful if you are also taking an antidepressant for serotonin-I had an issue w/that but no long term probs.

One thing that always drives me crazy about it, though - the container is so hard to open-who the hell with a migraine (or one oncoming) can open that? It's just sadism, I swear.

amybds
03-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I used it for about a year. I've also taken Imitrex and Relpax. I recently switched back to Relpax only because the Treximet tends to make me sleepy. Hard to work/care for toddlers when I'm sleepy. But Replax doesn't last as long for me (I get three day migraines and medication tends to wear off after 8 to 24 hours, depending), so I'm debating switching back.

And oh yeah, the container drives me crazy. Seriously, who decided that was a good idea for someone with a migraine? Sadistic for sure!

elektra
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
I use Treximet and it completely eradicates my migraines. I have even posted here on the BBB about how awesome it has been for me.
What are the warnings? I mean I saw what looked like the standard side effects of "nausea, headaches, dry mouth, don't take with an MOAI inhibitor.." but I have been reluctant to look much beoynd that because it has worked so well and I sort of want to bury my head in the sand on the downsides. :bag

Corie
03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Just be careful if you are also taking an antidepressant for serotonin-I had an issue w/that but no long term probs.

Can you tell me more about this?

I actually take 60 mg Cymbalta as a migraine preventative and
then I take Zomig if I get a migraine.

Am I going to grow a third arm?

xmasbabycomin
03-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Can you tell me more about this?

I actually take 60 mg Cymbalta as a migraine preventative and
then I take Zomig if I get a migraine.

Am I going to grow a third arm?

Nope, no third arm.

A ton of people take migraine preventatives and migraine meds w/o probs, but I'd mention it to my doctor the next time I go in, esp if different doctors prescribed the two. That's usually when there are probs. I haven't heard of that combo, but that doesn't mean it's not valid. For me, I was taking Topamax for migraine prevention + a serotonin antidepressant and then I took Treximet, so it was ultimately three meds. With my headache I hadn't realized I'd forgotten to take my other meds and took everything at the same time, right after Treximet, and my body went into serotonin overload ("Serotonin Syndrome"). This can be potentially very serious. I realized what it was right away (sweating, lightheaded and felt like I was on speed but going in slow motion at the same time-very hard to explain, esp when you already have a migraine!) I'd read about it and had gotten warnings from my pharmacy (although neither of my doctors-!!) before - and now am more careful about spreading my meds apart. My antidepressant has also been changed.

FYI-Meridia, the diet drug, is another one on that list.