PDA

View Full Version : Backless Booster Question

Kungjo
03-23-2011, 11:59 PM
At what age is it okay for a child to sit in a backless booster full-time? We don't take many long road trips so it's just trips to the store, playdates, and such. Longest ride we've taken this year was about 1 1/2 hours and DD was awake the whole time.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out my next step since we have a Regent and a Marathon expiring in a few months. These are their main seats. Trying to figure out what to replace them with.

I do have two spare seats in the second car. DD #1 sits in a backless Safeguard GO Booster and DD #2 sits in a Compass B530 Booster. They sit in it to and from school which is two blocks away and maybe for 15 minute trips to the grocery store or mall.

DD #1 is 9 1/2 and weighs 50 lbs
DD# 2 is 6 and weighs 40lbs

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
03-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Maybe move the Go and the Compass to the main car, and get them matching Harmony Cruzes for the spare car? (backless, really, really nice, light seats).
I tend to take my airbag situation into account... no curtains=highback as long as possible... despite the fact that the latest research shows no difference in safety for high or backless...just my mommy-gut at overwork...

Kungjo
03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Main Vehicle is a 2005 Odyssey with side and curtain airbags.
Secondary Vehicle is a 2006 BMW 3 Series with side and curtain airbags, I believe.

So do you think that it would be okay to move both to backless in the secondary vehicle? Or should I keep the seats in the BMW and get Birtax Parkways for the Odyssey?

If it was my choice, I would keep them in the Regent or something similar so they are strapped in for as long as possible, but getting hard to justify that for a soon to be 10 year old no matter how small she is. She's still my baby. LOL.

Joolsplus2
03-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Matching Frontiers, obviously :D. No, no, just kidding, really.
Parkways are so...iffy... they fit some kids great in some cars, but others, it's just weird, you have to raise the headrest so high for them to fit the shoulderbelt properly. Though they are tall, and I think they work in Ody's, and they can be used backless later, it might be a cool LATCHable choice (get the spendier SGL, not the cheaper SG).

Ah, I spelled it wrong, it's Cruz... really a fave among the longer legged older crowd (like the Go is nice and deep... ) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Cruz-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Black-and-Red/14914783