PDA

View Full Version : Booster seat recommendations - thanks

magnoliaparadise
03-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Hi,

I"m not sure if this is the right place to post, so if not, please let me know. Thanks.

My DD, 3 yo, hates - HATES - my Britax Boulevard carseat - she says its too small. Granted, she is on the taller and heavier side of its limitations and it's hard to readjust the straps anymore, so maybe she is truly uncomfortable.

Anyway, it's been a non-issue up until now because we live in NYC. Now, though, we need to start using a car a lot. I want to buy a booster so she's more comfortable.

Does anyone have good suggestions for boosters? So far I've liked the Britax carseats, so assume they make good booster seats, too? Or other companies? And any suggestions for which model?

Although my kid is on the taller side, given her age, she is probably still considered on the smaller end of booster seats - I don't know if that makes a difference in which one you'd recommend.

Thanks!

niccig
03-24-2011, 04:15 AM
Hi,

Although my kid is on the taller side, given her age, she is probably still considered on the smaller end of booster seats - I don't know if that makes a difference in which one you'd recommend.

Thanks!

She's too young for a booster. The AAP and NHTSA just came out with new recommendations of minimum 4 yrs for a booster. Many car seat techs will tell you minimum of 5 years old.

She needs to have the maturity to NEVER move out of position when sitting in the booster seat. Once you go to a booster, you have moved responsibility of her safety from the adult making sure she is buckled in correctly to HER sitting in the correct position. That means she can't lean forward to pick up a toy, can't play with the seat belt straps or tuck it behind her back etc. This comes with maturity that a 3 year old doesn't have.

If you post over on the car seat forum you'll get suggestions for seats that have a harness and then convert to a booster when the child reaches booster age. That would be your best bet. You'll have to post her height/weight stats so they can recommend a seat that will work for her.

My DS is 6 and we just started using a booster full time in the last few months. I started training him for the booster at 5.5 years old with shorter car rides and we've worked up to mostly booster use. I still put him back in his harnessed seats for longer drives and he's still harnessed in DH's car.

mariza
03-24-2011, 04:34 AM
Hi, welcome to the boards! This would be best asked in the car seat forum, maybe a mod can move it for you, but I thought I'd answer you a little here. Is it possible she doesn't like the head wings on the BLVD? I heard some kids love em, some hate em. The good news is, if you tell us her height and weight and what you drive, we can help you figure out a seat that she will be more comfy in. The bad news is, that you will not find anyone here willing to give a recommendation on a booster for a 3 year old no matter how big they are. This is actually a good thing though. I know it might get frustrating for you because you are not getting your original question answered but here is a thread someone posted similar to yours about a booster for a 4 yo that might help answer some questions. http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=391624
I am not by any means an expert on car seats, there are many more in the car seats forum, Jools and Bubbaray are certified car seat techs and are awesome resources for us! I was in your shoes last year looking for a booster for my 4 yo and I ended up buying him a Nuatilus. My 6 year old still rides in a Nautilus (harnessed) in our family car and only last year got a booster for for my car which is only used for quick local trips.
I know this is a silly question, but just want to make sure you have taken out all the infant padding on the booster. How close is she from the 65 lb 49 inch limits?

wellyes
03-24-2011, 07:11 AM
I am one of the few people around here who can't stand the Boulevard either. So much padding! I suppose it'd be great for kids who sleep in the car a lot, otherwise what a PITB.

I've recently fallen in love with the Maestro car seat. It is a ff car seat that transitions to a high-back booster. Very lightweight, just $80, cute for a girl (the "Abby" pattern), she'll like the cupholders and not feel so squished.

KrisM
03-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Agreeing with the others that she's too young for a booster.

Look at something like the Britax Frontier, Graco Nautilus, or Evenflo Maestro. All those seats are called combinations seats. They are forward-facing only and harness to a higher weight and then turn into a belt-positioning booster. We have the Frontier and my 4.5 year old loves it. It's bigger than the Boulevard and more comfy, she says. Plus, it comes with cupholders :).

emily
03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
We moved DD, who turns 3 next month, from a Marathon and Boulevard to a Britax Frontier. She loves her new big girl seat with the cup holders.

bearwithme
03-24-2011, 08:59 AM
She may also just not like being in the car and carseat. NYC kids are more used to stroller life and being in a carseat is confining and relatively boring. And if you take taxis with her, she's probably not used to being in a vehicle strapped in a carseat.

I'd definitely recommend a Frontier or Nautilus, but maybe with more frequent use, she might even like the boulevard more.

Joolsplus2
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
By 'using the car a lot' does that mean you'll basically be getting to leave it installed? Not like carrying it around and putting it in taxis?
If so, I'd recommend the Frontier 85. In the meantime, maybe take the extra padding out of the Boulevard, if you haven't already...the shoulderpads (leave the Rubber HUGS ON, though), the belly pad, the infant lumbar pad. Dial up the headrest so the harness is a little above her shoulders, if it's not already at the top (if it is, she IS a very big girl :thumbsup:, and the Frontier is definitely your best bet).
Boosters are a definite no-go for 3 year olds, but the Frontier is very roomy and has nice cupholders and unconfining headwings, my kids have all adored it, from age 2 (harnessed)-12 (7+ as a booster) :)

magnoliaparadise
03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone - this is so helpful!

I actually think I meant a combination harness seat which converts to a booster seat - didn't really know the language and thought that that was a booster seat. I'll look into the ones that you suggest: Britax Frontier, Graco Nautilus, or Evenflo Maestro.

We do have padding on the seat - didn't know it was movable!

Yes, totally true about NYC kids - my kid hates carseats and being in cars generally. And you're right, in NY, we don't use carseats in taxis or buses so she is used to riding next to me. And she has always gotten carsick easily. Even in taxis, as soon as she says, 'I'm hot', that means she is about to vomit and I have to get the guy to pull over, slow down, or open all windows until she stops having motion sickness. It doesn't happen often, but more often than I've seen with other kids. So she doesn't love cars - especially long rides.

So maybe part of my problem is going to get her used to a car itself, especially because she has so rarely been required to use a carseat (only when we go visit relatives).

You asked me the height and weight of my DD. She was measured a month ago, but I am bad at that kind of thing and can't remember the numbers... I want to say somewhere between 39 - 41 inches. As far as pounds, she is about 34 - 36 pounds, I think... but based on your posts, I went and confirmed Britax and couldn't believe how much bigger a criteria they give as you said: up to 49 inches and 70 pounds! So either they are exaggerating or my kid and I are whining when she still fits in it! http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats

The Marathon (not the Boulevard) has that cool wheel that you can turn to make high that someone mentioned. The Boulevard uses the old fashion technology of pulling out the straps to put them in the highest slot (which I did awhile back) - a total drag.

Don't know which car we'll get or use, but probably something the size of a Toyota Corolla - midsize, but not big.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
If you've had that seat for awhile, it has the 65 pound weight limit, and the Boulevard is the one with the headwings that you dial up and extra infant padding. The newer ones with the 70lb limit both have handles to pull the headrest/harness up and extra infant padding, and two crotch positions for a roomier fit.
I think the other city dwellers probably are hitting the nail on the head with the whole 'strapped down' feeling being unpleasant, too...not sure how to get over that, I know watching movies on the DVD player or iPod goes a long way to distract my kiddo from pretty much anything, lol.

magnoliaparadise
03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
yes, that's a great idea. I'll bring out the 'ole Ipad in the car...
Great that Boulevard fixed the crotch part of the seat - we have the 'one size fits all' and my kid never liked that.