PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Light + AT Combo

HelpfulHubby
03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm curious to get everyones thoughts on sticking to one brand when purchasing both an both an ultralight/umbrella and an all-terrain stroller.

With our first child on the way here shortly, we have finally come to the conclusion that one stroller is just not going to meet our needs here in suburbia...we will need both an ultralight/umbrella and an AT stroller. We want something small, light, and fast folding for the trips to the grocery store, mall, restaurants, etc...and also an AT for trips to the park, zoo, festivals, neighborhood walks, light jogging (a mile or two a week) etc.

While our head is still spinning from looking through all the options, I'm wondering if sticking to one brand will help us narrow it down. Is there any benefit to doing that, say with a Bumbleride Flite and Indie combo, or a BJCM and BJCE/BJSummit or some other combination?

berlinsoul
03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
it obviously helps to narrow choices down, but otherwise I cannot see any advantage. (However, once you start to get use to the BJ-fold (or MB push) you might be caught anyway ... ;)

I would not stick to one brand, but enjoy the best of what meets your criteria.

legaleagle
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
The only reason I would consider it is if you had pricey accessories that you wanted to use for both - though I think that would really only apply to the bumbleride snackpack and other accessories.

arivecchi
03-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I would not stick to one brand. The best companies in those categories are usually not in the other market - which makes sense if they want to do a quality product.

Kaylee31
03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
The only reason I would consider it is if you had pricey accessories that you wanted to use for both - though I think that would really only apply to the bumbleride snackpack and other accessories.

:yeahthat: I agree this would be the only advantage. For example, you could use the universal tray, carseat adaptor, or belly bar on either the BJCM or BJCE/Summit. But it limits your choice of strollers. I know there is so many to choose from though!
It seems like you are definitely on the right track to finding what is right for you--I agree that a lightweight and AT is a necessary combo for most people.

crl
03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I agree with the others, the only benefit is accessories. But many accessories work on virtually all strollers anyway (bundleme, skip hop saddle bags, most cupholders). I would go for what is best in category for your needs and not try to stick to one brand.

Catherine

ashleybama24
03-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Besides some companies like Bumbleride already come with a ton of accessories so you may not need to purchase anymore. Or you can get away with universal ones that work with multiple strollers.

purpelina
03-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I like to say that "strollers are not computers", or electronics, for that matter. You don't have to stay with the same brand to get best "compatibility" etc. You also won't get a package deal. If they were selling say indie, and offering a flier at half off to go with it - that would be something to consider, otherwise there is really no reason for it other than what fits your situation and budget best.

spannaz
03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Ok, I am just going to throw this one out there:

I think the Indie/ BJCM combo sounds like the perfect combination. Then you get the AT with great push and many accessories, and an awesome/ compact fold for your lightweight car stroller :D

And like pp's said, you can always do universal accessories, if there is something that either the Indie doesn't come with, or you feel you need to add something to the BJCM.

Good luck!!

HelpfulHubby
03-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone. Response were as I expected but wanted to check anyway.

Right now we are leaning towards the BOB SE + BJCM combo, but things could change.

For the AT, I kinda like the mountain buggies, (more manly) but the wife doesn't much. The indie is a contender, but I worry about jogging with it. On the everyday stroller front, pretty sure the BJCM will be the winner regardless....just fits our needs the best.

arivecchi
03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Good luck with your decision! Just FYI, Bobs have a slight recline so they cannot be used with newborns unless you use it with a car seat. Mountain Buggy does have a stroller that can be used for running too - the Terrain. It takes a carry cot and the regular seat has flat recline so it works for newborns. You can then jog with it once baby turns one. :)

crl
03-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Love my Indie and it is a great walking stroller, but not a true jogger.

Catherine

roseyloxs
03-25-2011, 01:17 AM
The indie is a contender, but I worry about jogging with it.

Don't get the indie and that comes from someone who dearly loves the bumbleride indie. It is not a jogger. Get something with 16" rear wheels like the MB Terrain or BOB as you have already mentioned. If you didn't jog then I would say the indie and flite would be an awesome combination since the carrycot, snackpack and footmuffs could be interchangeable making them much more cost effective.

Ok, I am just going to throw this one out there:

I think the Indie/ BJCM combo sounds like the perfect combination. Then you get the AT with great push and many accessories, and an awesome/ compact fold for your lightweight car stroller :D

These strollers have a very similar footprint so while I understand your reasoning I think they actually seem too similar to be someone's only strollers. Now if you are building a collection then that's another story.

I would not stick to one brand.

:rotflmao: Says the MB queen! If MB suddenly came out with an umbrella stroller you would be the first in line. How did nobody else call you out on this? I nearly fell out of my seat when I read that line. :hysterical: So funny.

arivecchi
03-25-2011, 10:37 AM
:rotflmao: Says the MB queen! If MB suddenly came out with an umbrella stroller you would be the first in line. How did nobody else call you out on this? I nearly fell out of my seat when I read that line. :hysterical: So funny.Do you forget my two Maclarens? ;) I am a diehard Maclaren fan for lightweights and a diehard MB fan for ATs. I'm a M&M as poohbear says....

spannaz
03-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Right now we are leaning towards the BOB SE + BJCM combo, but things could change.

For the AT, I kinda like the mountain buggies, (more manly) but the wife doesn't much. The indie is a contender, but I worry about jogging with it. On the everyday stroller front, pretty sure the BJCM will be the winner regardless....just fits our needs the best.

:oops: I think I missed the part about you wanting to use it for light jogging. Yes, I agree the Indie would not be suited for that, but the BOB would be the perfect companion. Have you thought of the BOB revolution? It would be quite versatile for both jogging and park/ trail walking. You get both options of a fixed wheel and a swivel wheel...

spannaz
03-25-2011, 01:08 PM
These strollers have a very similar footprint so while I understand your reasoning I think they actually seem too similar to be someone's only strollers. Now if you are building a collection then that's another story.

So true- I think I would then add a Triumph to the collection... and maybe Queen B for the reversible aspect... and maybe Bee+ for the small & reversible aspect... and... sigh :tongue5:

And for those reading the Donkey thread as well, I believe my fantasy stroller collection above has just come in at the Donkey price point :rotflmao:

Kaylee31
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM

The BJCM is a great stroller. No reversible option though, which I like for babies. But it's so versatile, has a flat recline, an easy & compact fold, a bunch of optional accessories.
The Indie or MB Swift is so similar in size to the BJCM, I think it would be redundant to have both. Either one would be good as an one & only stroller from birth...if you didn't plan on running or getting a lightweight too.
But in OP's situation, I would definitely go more rugged w/the BOB Rev. or MB Terrain. Both fabulous, but the Terrain can be used from birth since it has a flat recline. Plus you can use a carrycot with it.

mackmama
03-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I think it's best to look at different brands. I thought about the bumbleride indie/flite so that the bassinet could be used on both but, ultimately, the combo did not fit our needs. We went with the MB Terrain and Bugaboo Bee (also added a Uppababy G-Luxe because DH wanted an umbrella) which feels like a great combo for us.

poohbear
03-25-2011, 03:08 PM
I would not stick to one brand. The best companies in those categories are usually not in the other market - which makes sense if they want to do a quality product.

:yeahthat:

I guess PP's advice of moving over universal accessories makes sense, but I'm pretty lazy and I wouldn't want to take off the bumper bar from my BJCM every time I wanted to use my BJCE. I'd just spend an extra $20-30 and get an extra bumper bar. But that's me...

Though there are many people with Bugaboo Cams and Bees. And Uppa Vistas and G-Luxes. Though Cams/Vistas are not necessarily ATs...

I'd still rather have a BOB/MB and Mac/BJCM combo myself.

roseyloxs
03-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Do you forget my two Maclarens? ;) I am a diehard Maclaren fan for lightweights and a diehard MB fan for ATs. I'm a M&M as poohbear says....

Nope, I didn't forget about your Al and RWB. I understood your point and agree with you but the statement in itself made me laugh.

:yeahthat:

I guess PP's advice of moving over universal accessories makes sense, but I'm pretty lazy and I wouldn't want to take off the bumper bar from my BJCM every time I wanted to use my BJCE. I'd just spend an extra $20-30 and get an extra bumper bar. But that's me...

Though there are many people with Bugaboo Cams and Bees. And Uppa Vistas and G-Luxes. Though Cams/Vistas are not necessarily ATs...

I'd still rather have a BOB/MB and Mac/BJCM combo myself.

Agreed. I think the only interchangeable accessory that would make sense is bumbleride's carrycot. However now that they are making the 2011 indie carrycot incompatible with the flite I guess it won't even matter anymore.