PDA

View Full Version : Have to decide on a double ~ BOB or BJCED or BJ Summit Double?

mollyrryan
03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
So, I have been reading lots of posts on double strollers, and I think I finally have it narrowed down to a Bob, a Baby Jogger City Elite Double, or a Baby Jogger Summit Double. We will have a newborn and a 21 month old, and the 21 month old is very tall. Given her height, I am concerned about the BOB being tall enough. I am also concerned about weight of the stroller, being about to fit in standard doorways, and having the stroller fit in the trunk of my Nissan Altima without taking any wheels off.
I really like our BJ Summit single, but am concerned that the Summit double is really wide and long . . . it does weigh less than the BJCED though according to BJ's website.
Anyone have any opinions for me? DD2 will be here in 11 days, so I need to decide VERY soon!!!
Thank you!

arivecchi
03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
What do you want it for? Malls? Parks? Walks?

mollyrryan
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
We live in MN, so we will use it in the mall all winter, but in the summer, we will use it mostly outdoors for walks, the zoo, the park, etc. We won't use it on a daily basis, but it will be kept in my trunk.

arivecchi
03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Hmmm, can you get two? For frequent car use, the BJCMD is your best bet. The BJCMD is now on sale. However, it is not the best stroller to get for long walks and I would definitely not use it in snow.

If you can only do an AT, I believe the Bumbleride Indie Twin and the Bob Duallie are the lightest AT SBS doubles. I would personally not want to use those indoors or for frequent car use, but it can be done. Not sure about the size of your trunk though.

You could also look at the Phil and Ted's Explorer with doubles kit which would work for all of your uses and is also on sale at the moment.

scriptkitten
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
for outdoors, the BOB is amazing.

for the mall, i agree the bjcmd is a better bet, altho i use my BOB indoors and shopping all the time and its totally fine. people just dive out of the way when they see me coming :)

legaleagle
03-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Not sure how much you're planning on getting out the first couple months but BOB is rated for 8+ weeks since it doesn't recline flat (so must use the carseat adaptor). I certainly wasn't going many places by myself with my newborn and 21 month old runner but you may have different plans.

WatchingThemGrow
03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
If you are dead set on just getting one stroller, the BJCED has served us well for those purposes. However, if you think there is any way to swing 2, I agree that the BJCMD for indoors and the BOB/Summit for outdoors would be better. We have to store our strollers in the trunk, too, so we went with the BJCED. I also keep a Triumph next to it for quick errands when I can wear the baby and buckle the toddler. Although...I've felt at times like I was wearing a fragile egg on my front and fighting a poisoned octopus after trying to get the potty-training toddler back into the stroller so we could get home. That's when I really appreciate having the BJCED where we have toys and books hidden in the console, the seat back pockets, and a big, comfy fully-reclined seat for each DC. We've had the BOB Duallie indoors and both DH and MIL ran it into people because it is like 10" longer than the BJCED and a hair wider (the 2008 models, at least). The BOB and probably Summit have a slightly better push if you live in a hilly area and don't have a lot of might.