PDA

View Full Version : Those live butterfly garden things - question!

khalloc
03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Santa brought my kids those live butterfly garden kits - the ones where you have to send away for the butterfly larva. I am in northern New England - when can I send the slips away for the butterfly larva?

Pinky
03-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Santa brought my kids those live butterfly garden kits - the ones where you have to send away for the butterfly larva. I am in northern New England - when can I send the slips away for the butterfly larva?

How much does it cost to get the larvae? We need to get some too to go with our kit and I haven't opened it yet.

khalloc
03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I forget. I think i just need to pay for the shipping & handling. I got a voucher in the kits. I just have no idea when I should send it in.

hbridge
03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
We are waiting until closer to Easter when the weather is warmer. Last year we released on Mother's Day and it was definitely too cold for the poor butterflies, but within the realm.

If you are planning on keeping them through their entire life cycle then anytime would be fine, but if you plan to release then I'd wait until there isn't any snow left.

PS Insect Lore has the butterfly refills for $14.99.

happy2bamom
03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I think that even if you mailed it in now, they won't send it until the weather is suitable. The larvae have to survive the mail, so they wait until temperatures don't go below a certain level.

infocrazy
03-24-2011, 01:54 PM
I live in MI and I just ordered them. I had to mail it in, for some reason, I couldn't go online and do it. It was $6 with the kit.

marie
03-24-2011, 02:36 PM
We ordered ours in mid-April last year and received them by the end of April. They were ready to be released at the end of May.

The instructions say that the minimum temp should be 55 degrees F. This year we should reach that by July, I think. ;)

khalloc
03-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks! Looks like I will order sometime later in April.

sunnyside
03-28-2011, 12:51 AM
I dont recommend releasing in your house FYI.

khalloc
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I dont recommend releasing in your house FYI.

Thanks. Wasnt planning on doing that! Hope the kids dont think it would be a good idea.

sunnyside
03-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks. Wasnt planning on doing that! Hope the kids dont think it would be a good idea.

Yeah, I meant to type more, but had a squirrely baby! I did it before and released them inside and they wanted to go up to the highest window and then run into it over and over again. It was traumatic (for us all). And two of them died in a halogen lamp. So I definitely recommend releasing outdoors.