PDA

View Full Version : is ikea furniture good quaility?

chozen
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
we are looking at the reversible bed for our dd room, just wondering if maybe someone here has that bed and have you been happy with it?

elektra
03-24-2011, 05:46 PM
I kind of look at IKEA furniture as being disposable. I think I read that somewhere and it makes sense.
That being said, I love IKEA for certain things- storage, and kids' stuff mainly. I have quite a bit of IKEA furniture in my home (2 expedits, a desk, a trofast, gulliver crib, our entertainment storage unit, DD's mattress, CD storage, some art....)
It is not high quality but it serves its purpose!
I was reluctant to get a bed there though. I was worried it would get wobbly.

wellyes
03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
If it's made of real wood, the quality is pretty good.
If it's MDF, it's more Target-quality. Will certainly last through toddler years, will not be able to be handed down to the next generation.

edurnemk
03-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Like a heirloom piece, or to last years and years? No

They have varying levels of quality and price, some things will last more than others. It's good quality for the price, IMO.

LMPC
03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
The real wood furniture we have gotten from Ikea has lasted about 10 years now. Our kitchen table looks great and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. DD's crib held up really well and I would totally use it for another kid. I think if pieces are put together correctly and then maintained (meaning tightened up every now and then) then will last for quite a while. Would you leave them to someone in your will? No. But I think they would last long enough for you to get your money's worth and then some.

beckyr88
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
We have the Kura reversible bunk bed--is that what you're talking about? The frame is real wood, and it is as good as you put it together, I've found. We've had ours for about 4 years and we're still really happy with it. We have had to re-tighten bolts once, but it still looks great and the kids love it. In a year or so, we plan to give the big girls (now 6 and 8) a "real" bunk bed (also from IKEA) and move this one into the little boys' room. I'm sure it will still be fine for the next few years.

We have a ton of other IKEA stuff, and some stuff weathers better than others. Pillows, bookcases, closet shelves, shoe rack, bedroom set and a sideboard thing have so far been great. Our dining room chairs are showing some wear and tear, but they get pretty heavy use.

ett
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
They have varying levels of quality and price, some things will last more than others. It's good quality for the price, IMO.

:yeahthat:

essnce629
03-25-2011, 02:03 AM
I have a Hemnes dresser from Ikea and it still looks brand new after 5 years. I think the Hemnes line is really good quality (and real wood). We just got the Hemnes glass door cabinet with 4 drawers for our dining room, the 65" Hemnes mirror for our walk-in closet, and I really want the Hemnes entertainment system for our living room. I've always loved the Hemnes bedframe as well.

I have 5 Ikea Expedit shelving units as well and those still look brand new and are amazing for storage.

MontrealMum
03-25-2011, 03:17 AM
It varies, and that is certainly dependant on what it's made out of (all wood vs. mdf). We've got a variety of Ikea here because we've got not one, but two Ikea stores locally, and it's affordable and easy to pick up in a pinch. But even so, I've got several Billy bookcases that are 15+ years old and they are still in good shape. And the Billy (which is MDF) is certainly on the bottom rung of Ikea quality. So, no, it's not heirloom, but it's also not crap as long as you take reasonable care of it.

DebbieJ
03-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Our BILLY bookcases have survived four moves (one of them being cross-country) and are still going strong!

Karenn
03-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I kind of look at IKEA furniture as being disposable.
:yeahthat:
We got one of those ikea dresser changing table combos when DS was born. By the time he was five it was falling apart. That's not good quality to me. I might be willing to buy an ikea coffee table or something that is more to look at, but I wouldn't spend money on a piece of furniture that has to stand up to every day use.