PDA

View Full Version : Need help with paint colors, Please

MoeJoe
03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I really need an idea on what colors to use for the kids' (2 yo and 5 mo) "new" room. We are almost finished taking down the horrific wallpaper from the previous owner and then gonna prime and paint. I have a boy and girl, and that is where my dilemma starts.
The nursery now has pale yellow walls with a blue speckled with primary colored carpet and white furniture and molding. The furniture will be moved in to the new room, of course, though right now it is two white cribs, one white dresser (gotta get another) and white and light blue (fabric) glider.
If you need a description of the room: it is more long than wide. You walk in and straight ahead is one window, on the left wall is another. The wall with the door also has a closet. The sun shines in the second window during the am/day.
If you need more info, I'll provide!
Any ideas, PLEASE!!

mackmama
03-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I like turquoise and orange for both boys and girls. If you are keeping the blue carpet, maybe you could paint 3 walls a light pale aqua and then the other wall a pale orange? Or you could do pale yellow walls with the blue carpet.

MoeJoe
03-27-2011, 10:35 AM
I like turquoise and orange for both boys and girls. If you are keeping the blue carpet, maybe you could paint 3 walls a light pale aqua and then the other wall a pale orange? Or you could do pale yellow walls with the blue carpet.

Thanks, that is an interesting idea. The new room doesn't have carpeting yet, but wanted to have a vague idea of colors before we start looking at carpeting. The blue carpet is in the old room.

DietCokeLover
03-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I think a muted light green could be nice. You can add touches of ble and pink in your decorating to personalize if you wanted.

lhafer
03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Are you going with a theme? I would choose bedding for both and try to get a coordinating color for the walls.

lovebebes
03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
It would be helpful to know the style in which you would be decorating...is it more modern? Traditional? Vintage?

ray7694
03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I would fine bedding first. I found a brown quilt that has aqua flowers so I went with an aqua blue room. I would go bright and not pale.

MoeJoe
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
I think a muted light green could be nice. You can add touches of ble and pink in your decorating to personalize if you wanted.
I was thinking maybe brighter colors, rather that pastel look.

Are you going with a theme? I would choose bedding for both and try to get a coordinating color for the walls.
No theme and the bedding I'll be sewing myself so I'm just gonna match to the room.

It would be helpful to know the style in which you would be decorating...is it more modern? Traditional? Vintage?
Not particular really, but possibly more modern than any thing else. I guess....

I would fine bedding first. I found a brown quilt that has aqua flowers so I went with an aqua blue room. I would go bright and not pale.
I agree, bright rather than pale, but like I said I plan on making the bedding to match the room.

I think I need to look at the carpeting first and see what is available, even though I wanted to go there with something in mind. We'll see how it goes. I may be back for more advice!
Thanks all!

BabbyO
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
You may want to be careful with bright colors on the walls. They can make a room look smaller. You could go with paler versions of the colors you choose, then adding bright accents picks up the wall colors without making the room look crowded.

If you are planning on doing turquoise, you could do slightly lighter colored walls, then pick up brighter turquoise in the bedding and accents.

We did DS' room in Dr. Seuss theme. Each wall has a different color (pale yellow, pale green, lt. blue, and periwinkle) His dresser is bright yellow and there are murals painted on the walls with brighter colors. It seems to work and not make the room seem tiny...but still bright and fun. FWIW, I used colors that are already in our house in other rooms so I didn't have to buy a ton of new paint.

tobycat
03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I would stick to neutral colored walls and let the rest of the accessories and furniture do the talking. I just redecorated my 6 year olds room. Two walls are pale gray and two are pale tan (both warm shades). It is a nice combination and just enough color to make it interesting. Her furniture and lighting (from IKEA) are what make the room really pop. I do not like the idea of theme rooms as I am pretty sure I would get bored of them quickly.

Twoboos
03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
We had Crystal Clear in DD1's room, when it was the nursery. It's like an aqua color, very pretty.

We are going one shade lighter now to... oh no, I can't remember! Wait, I think it's Light Touch, I will double check. :D

carolinamama
03-30-2011, 06:30 PM

:yeahthat:

MoeJoe
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
OK, just went to the carpet place and that didn't help any bec. they have every color in every carpet!!
There was a remnant for a good price in light/medium green of some sort, a cross between teal and celery maybe?
So, I was thinking to either go with that green carpet, my white furniture- and what color walls and molding???
OR
A dark grey/charcoal carpet with my white furniture- and what color walls and molding??

Thoughts please?! :bowdown:

ray7694
04-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't pick colored carpet. Where I live pretty much every house has beige or natural carpet. Something that matches everything.

mackmama
04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I'd go with the more neutral carpet since paint is easier to change. Light green walls with gray carpet would be pretty with orange or pink accents/decals. If you go with green carpet, keep walls neutral - maybe a med/lt gray. I'd keep moldings white regardless for a crisp look.

MoeJoe
04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't pick colored carpet. Where I live pretty much every house has beige or natural carpet. Something that matches everything.
I don't go so much for light carpet- see too much dirt on it :D

I'd go with the more neutral carpet since paint is easier to change. Light green walls with gray carpet would be pretty with orange or pink accents/decals. If you go with green carpet, keep walls neutral - maybe a med/lt gray. I'd keep moldings white regardless for a crisp look.
This is true... I like your idea of green walls with another color accent and grey carpet. I have green walls in my living room, do you think that makes any difference? Maybe I'll even use the same paint, if there is any leftover.

Thanks!