PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Car Seat (convertible to booster) for an Almost 5 yo DD

tina-t
03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
DD will be 5 by early July. She is about 34 lbs now and about 38 inches approximately. I need to get her a new car seat as the old one is expiring in a few months. I hope to keep her harnessed for as long as possible but would like a car seat that can be used as harnessed now and be changed to a booster when she is ready. My budget is about $150. We would also like to get one that is light so she can use it for travel (plane and rental car) and carpool. It will be used in our secondary car in which she is in 3 days a week for short trips.

FYI, ds (almost 8 yo) is in a Britax Regent and that thing is a beast! We would really like a seat that is less heavy.

Appreciate any help that you can offer! Thanks!

vonfirmath
03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
If your almost 5 yo DD is sitting in a Forward Facing (FF) seat, you do not need a convertible (a seat that sits both Rear Facing and Forward Facing)

If you want the seat to work as a harnessed seat and a booster, I'd get a Graco nautilus (and you might even be able to do that in that budget)

The Maestro (~$80) is a good light seat that can technically be used as a high back booster -- but practically speaking is outgrown as a booster at the same time the harness is outgrown so you will need to buy a booster later on.

Katigre
03-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I would get a Nautilus and then save up for a Turbobooster for use in other cars - a nautilus is not lightweigh.

arivecchi
03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
The Maestro is pretty light. I would get that.

tina-t
03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I'll look into the Graco Nautilus and Evenflo Maestro.

Any opinions on the Safety 1st Go Hybrid booster? It's more expensive but I like the idea that it can be folded up and put in a bag for travel.