PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have Micralite Fastfold Superlite?

PGTB
03-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I am intrigued by this stroller - lightweight, plus AT capability and takes a car seat :)

If you have it, what can you say are the pros and cons?

Have you found the hammock seat comfortable for the older child who wants to sit upright? How is the lack of the footrest and the limited recline?

Did you use it as AT - over rough terrain and did you always have to lift the front wheels?

I read the review from Strollerqueen blog and other reviews, they seem very positive. I am just interested how well it will handle really long walks, heavy PT use and how well can the baby nap in it given recline.

purpelina
03-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I want to know, too!

Side note: by observing a toro closely (and playing with it for a bit), I can say that micralites are not truly AT strollers, and even though you can lift front wheels and go over bumps on back wheels, it really is just for a short /small / one time obstacle, you won't walk that way all the time.
Good for short set of steps, or walkways without easements etc

My gripe with superlite is that you have to buy everything extra (rain cover, seat insert etc). I understand that not everybody will need these, it really depends on the usage and climate, but it makes the whole package expensive. But even if I were fortunate enough to find a good deal here and there, I don't know what to do about sun shade. It's small, and definitely will need some add on cover. The micralite one looks great, but I'm afraid dd will not tolerate it. And all these "protect a bub" thingies might be too much trouble to attach and to remember to take along, I'm afraid...
What are your thoughts?

Bootsie
03-25-2011, 11:25 PM
They look really cool/different and I started to consider getting one as a back up single (especially with the refurbished deals on ebay) but overall, it seemed the reviews for this stroller were less positive for those who used it regularly, for long walks or with toddlers and more positive by people who were using it as an every now and then travel stroller. That's what caused me to reconsider.

Some things some seem to have considered cons that I was concerned about: no footrest (so LOs feet dangle), only 2 seat positions and no true deep recline (so only for use with infants 6 mos and up unless you are using something with it to accommodate an infant), not a very big basket (although it seems no umbrella strollers have one) and the basket is only accessible from the front (where a LOs legs would be dangling), low canopy height, small canopy (shades only the child's head I read), mesh seat (which is great in summer but would require buying a liner during other months, depending on where you live). One review I read said they thought this might be a decent travel stroller for a child 6 mos - 18 mos old and then not so much.

The seat has no padding so you probably couldn't rely on the stroller for true AT action based only on the back wheels.

It would be great to hear from a long term user on the board!

momtobeoverseas
03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I can only comment on the wheels since I have a toro, but no, they are not really all terrain. Like Purpelina said, you can lift up the front wheels to get over rough spots but you cant really walk like that comfortably for more than a minute of so. The back AT wheels give the stroller a great push but it does not feel like a smooth AT ride.

ElspethCordelia
03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I have one. I would say it's not really all terrain. If it's bumpy, rough sidewalk I tip the stroller back to use just the back wheels. My daughter is 22 months and we've had it since she was 13 months. I LOVE it.

The sunshade hardly shades anything at all. Tillie seems to really riding in the stroller though. She never complains when she's in it.

Argh, now she's crying about something. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions I missed.

purpelina
03-26-2011, 02:20 PM
I have one. I would say it's not really all terrain. If it's bumpy, rough sidewalk I tip the stroller back to use just the back wheels. My daughter is 22 months and we've had it since she was 13 months. I LOVE it.

The sunshade hardly shades anything at all. Tillie seems to really riding in the stroller though. She never complains when she's in it.

Argh, now she's crying about something. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions I missed.

Please tell us what you love most about the stroller, and what do you use for sunshade (some extension, just power through it, push backwards, I don't know... - any other tips?)

Multimama
03-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Found this thread (http://strollersandprams.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36616) with some more nice pics.

Kaylee31
03-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Please tell us what you love most about the stroller, and what do you use for sunshade (some extension, just power through it, push backwards, I don't know... - any other tips?)

:yeahthat: I'm curious too....
I bought one of the refurb deals and can't wait until it arrives! I know it probably has it's flaws, but it looks awesome in a lot of ways. I've been curious about the FF for a while. And for the price, I couldn't pass it up.

purpelina
03-26-2011, 09:19 PM
MM, thank for the link! Love the yellow, I was afraid it'll be too bright, but it looks just right in these pics. Not as lemon-y as toro.

purpelina
03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
BTW, here's another link with some comparison pics:

http://strollersandprams.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36615&p=313651&hilit=micralite+superlite#p313651

PGTB
03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
I want to know, too!

Side note: by observing a toro closely (and playing with it for a bit), I can say that micralites are not truly AT strollers, and even though you can lift front wheels and go over bumps on back wheels, it really is just for a short /small / one time obstacle, you won't walk that way all the time.
Good for short set of steps, or walkways without easements etc

My gripe with superlite is that you have to buy everything extra (rain cover, seat insert etc). I understand that not everybody will need these, it really depends on the usage and climate, but it makes the whole package expensive. But even if I were fortunate enough to find a good deal here and there, I don't know what to do about sun shade. It's small, and definitely will need some add on cover. The micralite one looks great, but I'm afraid dd will not tolerate it. And all these "protect a bub" thingies might be too much trouble to attach and to remember to take along, I'm afraid...
What are your thoughts?

I was considering Toro as my stroller choice back before DS was born and I embarked on the entire stroller hunt and got obsessed with the parent facing feature. I guess I've always been intrigued by the Micralite strollers :p - the light weight, easy fold and AT tires.

The canopy is pretty sad looking I must say, but at the same time DS HATES canopy to be pulled over to obstruct his view. I am only able to pull Cam's of Bee's canopies half way, he gets upset if I extend them full way. So.... I don't know, maybe it won't be an issue. I would have to probably get a stroller umbrella, :ROTFLMAO: or something like Protect a Bub that seems to sit more straight and not obstruct vision .

At this point I was looking at CL to get a used one or a refurbished one. I am not sure to pay the full price if this will be the stroller for us. Maybe, we just need a regular umbrella since I already have the Bee.

PGTB
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM

I am wondering how will this stroller feel for let's say a 5 mile walk. Have you tried to take stairs with it? Do you use public trans often like buses where you need to fold the stroller? I am thinking I need something lighter and easier to manage on PT than a Bee and something that would also take occasional dirt trail for a few min and bumpy sidewalks on extended walks. Basically, an umbrella that would ride better than one. I am really feeling the need for the umbrella stroller sometimes, but.. I am not really ready for one being spoiled by the cushy ride of the bugs and given how much we walk.

We also travel to see family where there are trails I used to love to go to, that are off limits with the Bee or an umbrella. Not that I would take Micralite on dirt trails/sand for miles, just a few stretches between paved roads to get through them. Also, the beach use :), love the mesh seat for hot days and easy to clean factor. I examined the stroller in the store and saw that the front wheels are a bit nicer than a typical umbrella wheels. They seem to be somewhat soft and hollow? Seems like even front wheels would be able to absorb some shock, do they? There is no suspension on them though, so maybe not? The back wheels are what makes it AT, but I don't know like you said if it would be plausible to use it like some sort of a "baby hand truck" all the time, LOL.

I am also wondering if the seat is comfy. The recline is worrying me, because DS loves to nap in the stroller and used to the deep reclines on the Bugs, plus they sit straight when he is awake. Fastfold doesn't seem to have upright and deep recline positions. DS falls asleep when he is upright and I guess would just continue sleeping if we didn't recline him, so maybe not an issue?

ElspethCordelia
03-28-2011, 02:13 PM
I think it would be fine for a 5 mile walk. I think the push is awesome. My other strollers are a Graco Quattro Tour and a Chariot Cougar 2. I no longer use the Graco now that I have this one, but it is mainly a mall, zoo, gardens, etc. stroller.

I'd say it goes down stairs very well and is no problem up a curb. If I have some one with me it's no problem to carry up a set of stairs. My daughter is around 25lbs and the stroller is 14lbs. She's also tall for her age, but her height is all in her legs. We're still on the lowest strap height.

The sunshade is pretty much worthless. I just put hats on my daughter and sunscreen on her legs. A lot of time when we're outside in the summer we're using the Chariot. Tillie hates sunshades and always pushes them back. I'm not to fussy on them because of that.

I really like how the diaper bag can hook right on the font of the stroller. That way, when I take Tillie out it doesn't tip over if I have a shopping bag or two hanging on the handles. The stroller can fold up while the diaper bag is on the front, but it won't latch shut. I've done this at the Shedd Aquariam -- land of many steps and not easy to find elevators. I would carry it folded up the steps while someone else I was with would carry Tillie. I think that would be similar to using public transportation.

It does okay on kind of rough rough sidewalk, but is horrible in sand. When I got it we were living at the summer camp my husband works at. I was popping it up on the back wheels until I got to a building or deck. It's not good in sand at all.

I'd say the seat is comfy, but Tillie rarely falls alseep in it. I usually come home when I know it's nap time, so she doesn't really get the chance. The recline is kind of useless, but every once and a while I'll lower it. It's like 2-3 inches lower reclined.

What I really like best about it is how quick it folds and that it has a great standing fold. I dont have to worry about it tipping at all or the wheels coming near the sunshade. It's super-cool in the summer because of the mesh. I've wanted to buy the liner for winter, but I just haven't gotten around to it. (Okay, haven't found a good deal.) The way that it folds it's really easy for me to slide into the back of my mini-van.

I think I answered a lot of the questions. I can take pictures of anything else you might want to see.

ETA:
Here are just a few pictures, for fun. :)

This is the one and only time she feel asleep in the stroller, she's sleeping under those sunglasses. You can also see the diaper bag clipped(the diaper bag has clips on it.) on the front.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/AmberLynn113/strollerdiaperbag.jpg

Side view.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/AmberLynn113/strollerwheel.jpg

Perfect for summer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/AmberLynn113/summerstroller.jpg

PGTB
03-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I think it would be fine for a 5 mile walk. I think the push is awesome. My other strollers are a Graco Quattro Tour and a Chariot Cougar 2. I no longer use the Graco now that I have this one, but it is mainly a mall, zoo, gardens, etc. stroller.

I'd say it goes down stairs very well and is no problem up a curb. If I have some one with me it's no problem to carry up a set of stairs. My daughter is around 25lbs and the stroller is 14lbs. She's also tall for her age, but her height is all in her legs. We're still on the lowest strap height.

The sunshade is pretty much worthless. I just put hats on my daughter and sunscreen on her legs. A lot of time when we're outside in the summer we're using the Chariot. Tillie hates sunshades and always pushes them back. I'm not to fussy on them because of that.

I really like how the diaper bag can hook right on the font of the stroller. That way, when I take Tillie out it doesn't tip over if I have a shopping bag or two hanging on the handles. The stroller can fold up while the diaper bag is on the front, but it won't latch shut. I've done this at the Shedd Aquariam -- land of many steps and not easy to find elevators. I would carry it folded up the steps while someone else I was with would carry Tillie. I think that would be similar to using public transportation.

It does okay on kind of rough rough sidewalk, but is horrible in sand. When I got it we were living at the summer camp my husband works at. I was popping it up on the back wheels until I got to a building or deck. It's not good in sand at all.

I'd say the seat is comfy, but Tillie rarely falls alseep in it. I usually come home when I know it's nap time, so she doesn't really get the chance. The recline is kind of useless, but every once and a while I'll lower it. It's like 2-3 inches lower reclined.

What I really like best about it is how quick it folds and that it has a great standing fold. I dont have to worry about it tipping at all or the wheels coming near the sunshade. It's super-cool in the summer because of the mesh. I've wanted to buy the liner for winter, but I just haven't gotten around to it. (Okay, haven't found a good deal.) The way that it folds it's really easy for me to slide into the back of my mini-van.

I think I answered a lot of the questions. I can take pictures of anything else you might want to see.

ETA:
Here are just a few pictures, for fun. :)

This is the one and only time she feel asleep in the stroller, she's sleeping under those sunglasses. You can also see the diaper bag clipped(the diaper bag has clips on it.) on the front.

Side view.

Perfect for summer.

You rock :jammin: Awesome review, thank you, thank you, thank you :D

Just one question about the diaper bag, you mean put it into the basket from the front, right? When you say it is clipped to the front, do you mean the front of the seat?

Also, about beach use. I don't think any stroller would push well there, you have to have really fat air wheels (large surface area) for this to effortlessly push. Most strollers I've seen on the sand get dragged there on back wheels even the famous AT ones like Bob. I just thought maybe with the Fastfold it's easier given it's center of gravity is on back wheels - tilting it should be easier, right. Well, at least it looks like it will be easy to clean after the day at the beach with that mesh seat :)

PGTB
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Side view.

Perfect for summer.

Your daughter is SOOOO cute!! I also have trouble keeping sunglasses and hats on my DS, LOL :D

purpelina
03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeas, thank you SO much fot cool review - your dd is super adorable!

ElspethCordelia
03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Your daughter is SOOOO cute!! I also have trouble keeping sunglasses and hats on my DS, LOL :D

She's normally good about hats. The other staff kids at camp wear hats most of the day so it seems "normal" to her. That picture was taken at a campground my mom was staying at and she was the only kid in a hat! She kept taking it off and I could say, "No keep you hat on like Lydia", because no one else did it!

The basket is a little awkward because there is s strap in the middle that makes accessibility a little tricky for a diaper bag to be in it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/AmberLynn113/IMG_5091.jpg
My lillebaby diaper bag has stroller clips that are perfect for hanging it on the front of the stroller.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/AmberLynn113/IMG_5092.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/AmberLynn113/IMG_5093.jpg

I forgot to get a picture, but I've also put coats, blankets, bags behind the hammock seat and the back of the stroller.

scriptkitten
03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
such a cool stroller!

Multimama
03-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the review and the pics! It looks so fun.