PDA

View Full Version : Where to nurse?

mjs64
03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I have to get out of the house with my 6 week old nursling, who I'm feeding on demand. He can usually go 2-3 hours between feedings, but there's no guarantee. What do you do when you need to nurse in public? If we head out, as is my dream, today to Target, where do I go if I have to feed him? The car? The bathroom? I need to be able to sit.

How did I never see this problem before I had it? What have you done to make it work?

MamaMolly
03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
With Lula I nursed a lot in the car. I just felt more comfortable that way. With Dolly I pop her in the sling and nurse her while I shop, or feed the giraffes at the zoo (which we did a few weeks ago). :)

swissair81
03-25-2011, 01:07 PM
In a department store or Target, I usually nurse in a dressing room (unless it's Nordstrom- which has a nursing room). I NEVER nurse in public bathrooms. So unsanitary. In a restaurant, I'll nurse facing a wall. In the mall or park, I will just sit down on a bench. I'm not immodest. I either use a blanket, or one of these- http://shop.bebeaulait.com/originals
As for the car, I only nurse there if there is literally no where else to go.

citymama
03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I usually nurse in the fitting rooms. Grab a few things off the rack, ask for the family fitting room ( more spacious) and get nursing! The car is a good back-up. I *never* nurse in the bathrooms. If needed, I'll nurse in the cafe next door or bench or wherever I can sit comfortably (to he$$ with anyone who has a problem with it). Carry a baby blanket in case you need a coverup.

boltfam
03-25-2011, 01:14 PM
I nurse in the car fairly frequently, but it's usually before or after I go into a store. If I was already in the store (say Target), I like the advice of nursing in a dressing room.

Melanie
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I have to get out of the house with my 6 week old nursling, who I'm feeding on demand. He can usually go 2-3 hours between feedings, but there's no guarantee. What do you do when you need to nurse in public? If we head out, as is my dream, today to Target, where do I go if I have to feed him? The car? The bathroom? I need to be able to sit.

How did I never see this problem before I had it? What have you done to make it work?

The car, the dressing room (just grab some clothing to try on and go on it), a seat in their 'cafe,' wherever. I think a mom sitting quietly with a nursing baby draws no attention, as long as you don't do the huge blanket tent. But I realize everyone has a different opinion on that one. I prefered no one really know I was nursing to the "I AM NURSING DO NOT LOOK AT MY BREASTS" message. ;) Still nothing ever showed, it was modest.

With my first it was a skill to be worked on, though we had all sorts of BFing issues. With my second it went easier. I often carried her in the sling (though I personally couldn't nurse in it, I hear those with smaller perkier breasts find it to be a great help), so I would just sit down, slip it in such a way to be out of the way and the tail of the sling generally covered anything the casual observer would see. If not, my shirt usually would in addition to wearing a Belly Band.

The only bathrooms I ever nursed in were those nice ones at Nordstroms with the sitting area. I love Nordstroms. Most places do not have those anymore, though many malls have 'family rooms' with private nursing areas in them. I felt they were a little like solitary confinement, but it was useful for the older nursing infant who would get easily distracted in public.

6 weeks? Good For you!!!

lizzywednesday
03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
At Target, I used to nurse in my car before we went inside, but that was before I had the idea to use the dressing rooms!

At the mall, I'll use the dressing rooms, but honestly have no problem finding a bench in a quiet corner and using a cover (like the one linked in another post.)

Heck, I nursed my DD on a park bench with tons of people swarming around during my alumni reunion weekend last May ... and at a picnic table during a charity event in June ... and in the middle of my dad's engagement party in July ... and during a rehearsal for my choir in October ...

But, honestly, the nursing cover makes a difference until you learn to latch the baby without flashing the world.

MamaMolly
03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I often carried her in the sling (though I personally couldn't nurse in it, I hear those with smaller perkier breasts find it to be a great help),

:ROTFLMAO: and see here is where I find having larger, floppy, saggy ones make the sling nursing easier. Dolly does have to lay down for it , though. ;)

mjs64
03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
The dressing room is a great idea. Don't know if I'm ready for a bench or cafe yet, but maybe I will be soon. For the grocery store, I guess then it's the car.

Am I, by the way, crazy to take a 6 week old to Target?

Melanie
03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
:ROTFLMAO: and see here is where I find having larger, floppy, saggy ones make the sling nursing easier. Dolly does have to lay down for it , though. ;)

I would have smothered a baby. LOL. I'm glad it works for you, though! :)

Melanie
03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
The dressing room is a great idea. Don't know if I'm ready for a bench or cafe yet, but maybe I will be soon. For the grocery store, I guess then it's the car.

For me, I would have worn a baby at that age close to me and taken them. I wouldn't use a cart (without disinfecting the handles). I just found that having a sweet newborn in a car seat or stroller seemed to attract well-meaning attention (and germs) more than wearing them close to you. People seemed to respect that as my own body space.

wendibird22
03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
If in the mall I would usually find a dressing room. Motherhood stores advertise their dressing rooms for nursing moms and I've heard (but no BTDT experience) that PBK has a back room for changing and nursing (not sure if that's all locales or just mine). I nursed a lot in the car. I didn't mind it. I was comfy in the back seat and it was private. So for grocery stores, and places like Target, I'd nurse in the car before heading into the store.

ladysoapmaker
03-25-2011, 02:06 PM
@ that age I generally used the sling and just nursed the girls when they were hungry. DS#2 I didn't get the sling that early but then again I was completely broke and the only time I took him out was to go to my college orientation and I had a blanket and was in a comfortable chair at that point in time.

Jen

vonfirmath
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM

I used dressing rooms. (including one in a Target at Northgate Mall -- and I didn't even have any clothes, just asked the attendant if I could use the big one because I needed to take my stroller in and feed my baby)

lizzywednesday
03-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Nope. Getting out of the house outweighs any concerns about germs. If you're worried that people will try to touch your LO, and you have a carrier (sling, Bjorn, wrap, whatever), wear the baby. I found that people were a lot less inclined to touch my DD if she was strapped/tied to my chest!

Besides, I heard from friends that it's really nice weather in So CA today. Enjoy it.

mikala
03-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree with the other posters. The dressing rooms at Target are great and you don't even have to pretend to try on clothing. Just say you want to feed your baby and they'll wave you on back. Other stores are often the same way especially during the week when there aren't lines for the dressing rooms.

I nursed everywhere when out and about. The Target cafe type area was great, lawn furniture displays, out of the way park benches, using a sling or the Ergo, etc. The car also worked in a pinch.

I was always pleasantly surprised by the number of positive comments I received when people realized I was nursing a baby. They'd sometimes start to talk and then realize I was otherwise occupied. Little old ladies would reminisce about when they were our age they didn't feel comfortable nursing out in public and ended up at home all day with their babies. They would talk about how wonderful it is that people can go out and do things now!

Nursing cami bras were extremely useful for me because I hated the feeling of an exposed back and belly. With the tank I was barely revealing any skin and didn't even need a nursing cover most of the time. I also practiced nursing at home in front of a mirror once to reassure myself that I wasn't exposing more than I expected.

Good luck! You're doing an amazing thing for your baby and nursing in public will get soooo much easier with time.

3blackcats
03-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Nope, my 2 week old was there yesterday. I wore her in a carrier so no one would touch her.

sweet_pea
03-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Just wanted to add that if you ever have to go to BRU, they have a special baby room for nursing, etc.

Pear
03-25-2011, 02:39 PM
At Target I would probably go to the internal Starbucks and get myself a treat. The chairs are comfy. If no Starbucks then just take a seat in the food area. Probably get the best positioning sitting on one of the benches.

wellyes
03-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree with the other posters. The dressing rooms at Target are great and you don't even have to pretend to try on clothing. Just say you want to feed your baby and they'll wave you on back. Other stores are often the same way especially during the week when there aren't lines for the dressing rooms.

So true, in 21 months of nursing (egad), I have never had a dressing room attendent even raise an eyebrow at my request to use a room to nurse.

The only place I've really NIP was Borders, on a bench, with a big stroller in front of me. I sat in a very unpopular section (new age) and on a busy day only 1-2 people even walked by. I felt a twinge or two of anxiety but it was really no big deal. I don't think anyone noticed, or if they did, they were discreet and left me alone without making me feel weird or shunned.

trcy
03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I pump a bottle before leaving the house.

new_mom_mry
03-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok, not to divert everyone's attention to a different issue, but it's a very related question and I am in a similar predicament where I've wondered where to nurse when we go out BUT my DS only likes nursing in the side by side position when we are laying down. Maybe it was a mistake, but I started nursing him in this position when he was little because it's so convenient and "restful" and now when we are at home, I just take him to our bedroom and nurse him this way during the day and at night. When we do go out with him, we always try to time our outings to occur between feeding sessions because I know that he won't want to nurse unless he is cozy and laying down next to me. What compounds the problem is that he seems to be very easily distracted and doesn't do well with nursing when there is any noise.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Any tips for getting him to nurse in other positions so we could go out more??? I've tried nursing him while sitting down at home to get him used to this position, and he ate significantly less after much, much resistance, which affected his whole feeding/sleeping schedule for the day :(

goldenpig
03-25-2011, 03:51 PM
The Hooter Hider/Bebe Au Lait cover was great. I felt a lot more comfortable nursing in public with it. I could do it anywhere, even in restaurants, parks, etc. and not feel self-conscious. I also did a LOT of nursing in the car. Occasionally in dressing rooms/mother's rooms (like at Babies R Us). Even once in a while in a bathroom, if it was a big one and had one of those lounge areas with a bench (but never in a stall, yuck!). Also, once you get used to it, you can carry the baby in a carrier like the Ergo and nurse while carrying. Very convenient because then they fall asleep in the carrier.

new_mom_mry, just keep trying. If he's only been fed one way it's natural that he'd prefer that way, but if you keep working at it maybe he'll eventually accept other positions. Try sitting in a dark room with minimal distractions, maybe that would help him focus. Or if you're out and he still needs to lie down maybe you could sit in the car and recline the seat back all the way.

carolinamama
03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
With my first, I nursed in the car all the time. I just felt more comfortable there. I did nurse DS2 in the car some, but by that time I was feeling more comfortable with nursing more in public - on a bench in a mall, sitting in a corner of a museum, or sitting in a restaurant (back to other diners and only with people who were really comfortable with the situation like my mom or friends who also bf). I personally wouldn't nurse in a bathroom. It just sounds gross to me. I do try to find a fitting room or somewhere somewhat private, but if I was out with both boys and I had to watch DS1 at the same time, it was really challenging to keep him corralled for a whole feeding unless he was playing in an area.

catsnkid
03-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I took my baby out very early but it was summer. Sometimes the car, sometimes changing rooms, a few restrooms with chairs. NIP at a quiet Panera bread and a small bookstore where I was the only customer. The only time I had to do a bathroom was at Whole Foods.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-25-2011, 04:38 PM
This time of year, I liked to nurse in the patio furniture section of Target. :p

Katigre
03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
I nursed standing up from really early on so would just do it in the aisle wherever I was (I wore nursing camis under my tshirts so everything was covered and used a nursing cover in the early days). Some places I've nursed at Target if I needed to sit down included the summer gear section (they have the patio furniture) and the baby section which has some gliders on display. You can also go to a dressing room. A bathroom doesn't offer anywhere to sit down (at least not our Target bathrooms). I've also used the benches by the Pharmacy.

logan's mom
03-25-2011, 05:35 PM

I was going nuts being in my house all day by about the 4 week mark. I took DS all over the place. We'd go to Target, the mall, bookstore, and just wander around.

I always nursed in the fitting rooms. I just asked politely if I could use on of the rooms to nurse and never had any issues.

If you have a BuyBuyBaby or BRU nearby where you are going to be shopping, they have nursing rooms that you can use.

SnuggleBuggles
03-25-2011, 05:39 PM
The car. But, really, I just would get totally ready for an outing, nurse then run out the door with the baby with every intention of being home before the next feeding. That was how I did things with ds1.

With ds2? I had to be all over the place so I nursed just about everywhere! With ds1 I think I didn't really NIP till he was 4m old and dh was in the hospital- I had no choice but to feed the baby in the waiting room and then for the million Dr. appointments over the next months. I didn't know how I would do it b/c I really thought I needed a certain set up. I found I could do it with creativity anywhere though.

Beth

sunnyside
03-25-2011, 06:03 PM
When my baby was 6 weeks old, I nursed her in my arm while shopping. She was easy to carry and nursed so often, it just worked for me. That said, I nearly always nursed in the car before or after as well, because she was too hungry to go back in her seat yet. No one should make you feel uncomfortable especially with such a tiny one. As you practice, you can get more used to it. I was a little nervous from time to time, but nursing a baby is really the nicest thing ever. IF anyone has any problem with it, it is THEIR problem. But if you are more comfortable, I recommend the family dressing room. I have nursed in the ones in Target many times. Now that my baby is an 8 month old giant, that is where I go usually.

Go wherever you are comfortable and remember, it is your and your baby's right to nurse. I found that people never gave me any hard time ever, and if anything occasionally someone said something about how sweet it is. I hope that helps some!

Congratulations on your new love!

smilequeen
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Nurse wherever you are comfortable.

I nurse wherever I can find a comfy seat. At Target I like to go to the cafe/Starbucks and have myself a cup of coffee while I sit. I nurse in the car only if the baby is hungry as soon as we get somewhere or right as we're leaving (or if there is truly nowhere to sit). I like the nursing rooms at the mall b/c they have toys and a TV for the older kids or the bathroom at Nordy's b/c they have big comfy sofas. Basically whatever is convenient and comfortable for me. I do use a Bebe Au Lait, but they are totally unneccessary. I just find it easier to use the cover and flop out my big ole G cups without having to try and cover them with my shirt in some weird way while wondering who's looking at the mummy tummy that is still flabby even under a tank top...yeah, I'm that hot ;)

Grocery store is tough, so I always nurse before we leave.

sunnyside
03-25-2011, 06:05 PM

You are not crazy to take the baby to Target. I was home alone for the first 3 months with my baby and if we needed something, I had to go get it. So once my family left when she was 4 weeks old, we were all over. You'll be fine and it will be nice to get out.

candaceb
03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

my little guy made his first trip to Target at 8 days old. I am pretty sure he's been to Target more than any other place other than home since he was born. I had one of my first solo outings there and planned out the whole trip with coupons coordinated to the list so that I could make the round trip in-between feedings.

I am adding to the recommendations for a Hooter Hider. I love that thing. My first one was butt ugly (a hand-me-down) so once I knew I was married to the thing I got a really cute one. My little guy loves to pull off and look around so nursing in public would be a definite peep show without it. However, now that he's older I'm afraid that he's going to pull up the cover, so I have to be a little more careful about how much I reveal under the cover.

When I was first going out and needed to NIP, I would trip to find places that have comfy chairs - the furniture department at Macy's, the chairs at the back of HomeGoods, etc. The Starbucks area at Target is a favorite too.

Don't worry - you will be able to go out again. The first time I went to the mall seemed like I was conquering Mt. Everest, but now I just do what I've got to do.

artvandalay
03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
You're not crazy - take your baby out! Target is fine. What I would do is nurse at home, or in the car before you go in. I've never nursed in a bathroom or fitting room. I nurse in my car frequently. I like having a minivan - I'm up higher so it's not as noticable, and I always use a blanket. No one even knows there's a baby under there when I nurse in the car. You will get used to it, don't worry. You will find what you are comfortable with.

My mall has a nursing room, so I go there when I need to nurse. If we go to a restaurant, we always ask for a booth. I sit all the way in - next to the wall. If I have to nurse the baby there, it's really not that noticable, and I have one of those "hooter hiders" that I use. If we couldn't get a booth and I had to nurse DD, I would just go out to the car. I'm just more comfortable there.

But, in a pinch, I will nurse almost anyplace. Recently we were at the aquarium, and I had to nurse DD during the dolphin show in the stands:D I just make sure to always have my hooter hider with me. (what a dumb name, I know!)

ohsara430
03-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Definitely take your baby out. I usually nursed either in the car or a fitting room. I personally was not comfortable "out in the open" so to speak because DD would always pull the cover off and it was just too stressful for me. I nursed her for a year and never had an issue with going to the car or using a fitting room. Nurse wherever you are comfortable :)

Dr C
03-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah, definitely get out of the house. Just wash your hands or use sanitizer often.
At Target I nursed in the dressing rooms.
My absolute favorite place to nurse in public is in our Nordstrom's--there is a women's lounge in the ladies room (not where the toilets are) and it's perfect. Many nice department stores have a similar setup.
Baby stores (BRU and BBB) have special nursing rooms often.
In a restaurant, we'd sit in a booth and nurse against the wall. Esp if the walls are high, nobody is the wiser!
In a pinch, I nursed anywhere. But I HATE nursing in bathroom stalls. Also HATE nursing in the car.

Edensmum
03-25-2011, 09:06 PM
This is the perfect time of year for this, head the the lawn and garden section, there are plenty of comfy patio chairs out to sit in. I nurse there all the time.

alirebco
03-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I never nursed in a bathroom - the only exception being the Nordstrom's women's lounge which is separate than the actual bathrooms but right next to them.

At retail stores, I have nursed in dressing rooms, anywhere I can sit (cafe), and even just sat down at the end of an aisle that isn't busy and nursed if I had to.

I've never had anyone say anything rude to me and I only using the Hooter Hider for about a month until I got the hang of latching DS on without showing my whole boob.

mjs64
03-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. This afternoon, I nursed him, got ready myself (15 min.), packed our diaper bag, and drove to Target (another 10 min), and, of course, by the time we got there, he was wailing. So I nursed in the car, which was uncomfortable, but it worked. We went into Target in the Beco Gemini, and he was blissfully asleep the whole time. I am encouraged though by all of you to get out of the house more. I can't wait! Disaster averted; baby fed; Mommy not so terrible after all (this is my constant, constant worry). Maybe I will find my new normal sooner rather than later. These 6 weeks have been amazing but INTENSE.

Gracemom
03-26-2011, 07:32 AM
I kept a nursing pillow in the car because it made it so much easier and comfy for me to nurse, especially in the beginning when we were still getting the hang of it. Good for you for getting out there! It gets a lot easier!

artvandalay
03-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. This afternoon, I nursed him, got ready myself (15 min.), packed our diaper bag, and drove to Target (another 10 min), and, of course, by the time we got there, he was wailing. So I nursed in the car, which was uncomfortable, but it worked. We went into Target in the Beco Gemini, and he was blissfully asleep the whole time. I am encouraged though by all of you to get out of the house more. I can't wait! Disaster averted; baby fed; Mommy not so terrible after all (this is my constant, constant worry). Maybe I will find my new normal sooner rather than later. These 6 weeks have been amazing but INTENSE.

Good for you! Agree with the PP you could keep a nursing pillow in the car to make you more comfortable... or next time try the fitting room, you might like that better.

And please read my spinoff thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=393878

You will see that us nursing mommas have fed our babies almost everywhere! It's a fun thread and might give you some more inspiration ;)

Roni
03-28-2011, 12:08 PM

No, you aren't crazy. :)

Those are all good suggestions. Changing rooms work really well. I'm on nursling #3, and I've nursed pretty much everywhere. I don't LIKE to NIP (nurse in public), but I do what I have to do. With my first, I was nursing on a bench at the mall, & a lactation consultant came up to me and said, "Good for you." That was so encouraging, & I've never forgotten it. I've realized that the more people NIP, the easier it is for everyone who wants to nurse but is afraid to. I definitely try to be modest, of course.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-28-2011, 12:32 PM
haven't read all the replies, but u mentioned you have a beco..i dont' have one but i have a Pikkolo and i found it really convenient to nurse in it. i nursed in the car a couple times but unless you have a van i found it to be uncomfortable, esp in the summer when it's hot.

and yeah, i was nervous about going too when my son was young..i think the first time i took him out by myself was at 6weeks too, for my OB-GYN postpartum appointment! and yeah in the beginning i was always worried about having to nurse in random places. but honestly it ended up never being a big deal. i never had anyone give me problems about NIP.