PDA

View Full Version : S/O Question: The oddest place/situation you've nursed your baby?

artvandalay
03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Here's mine: My boys love trains. We go to this outdoor train place once a year. It has all these different sized trains to ride (Big steam engines, smaller engines and tiny ones that you sit on top of).

We were there and I had to nurse my middle child. There was no place to do it. The car wasn't close, it was packed and I couldn't find a place to sit - so I looked around and saw that the mid sized train had a box car you can ride in. It was a tiny boxcar, though, so I didn't know if it would work.

So, DH, my oldest son, baby and I stood in line and grabbed the box car. It was a tight fit but the 4 of us fit in it, we were completely incognito in there and kind of smushed...but it worked fine! And to this day when we go back there we always laugh about it!

crayonblue
03-25-2011, 07:45 PM
I can't think of an odd place but when my youngest was 4 months old and getting her legs casted, the doctor asked if I wanted to nurse her while he put the casts on!!! NO! She was crying and he was just trying to be nice but that would have been very, very weird!

artvandalay
03-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I can't think of an odd place but when my youngest was 4 months old and getting her legs casted, the doctor asked if I wanted to nurse her while he put the casts on!!! NO! She was crying and he was just trying to be nice but that would have been very, very weird!

That's weird!! Maybe he was hoping to catch a peek?;)

egoldber
03-25-2011, 07:52 PM
I can't even hazard a guess. I was a reluctant NIP nurser with older DD, but by the time younger DD came along I was so over it. I nursed on school field trips (for older DD), all over WDW (including many rides), museums, planes, any store, and perhaps every Starbucks in NoVA. ;)

elektra
03-25-2011, 07:54 PM
In these outdoor covered waterbeds in the outdoor pool/bar on the rooftop of The Standard hotel in LA.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.oyster.com/los-angeles/hotels/the-standard-downtown-la/photos/pool-the-standard-downtown-la-v552855-290.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.oyster.com/los-angeles/hotels/the-standard-downtown-la/&usg=__XqyiKiiwqCuS2C45yT_xl4NesQY=&h=218&w=290&sz=23&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=EgTlvO8jGOsBcM:&tbnh=153&tbnw=212&ei=DiuNTffEFYessAPCot2QCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bstandard%2Bin%2BLA%2Brooftop%2B pool%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D50w%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1602%26bih%3D797%26tbm%3Disch% 26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=333&oei=DiuNTffEFYessAPCot2QCQ&page=1&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&tx=52&ty=92

alexmommy
03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Not a terribly weird place, but on a park bench at the Smithsonian mall on July 3, crazy busy with people and tourists. I used a nursing cover as the world walked by. Incidentally, while nursing, DS chose that time to have a major blowout--all over him, my jeans, and my Ergo that was next to my leg. Fun times.

schrocat
03-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Sitting on a tiny bench in the children's section at Barnes and Nobles. The baby was hungry and the only other person was a lady reading a book nearby. She gave me curious looks but I was facing away from her.

Pear
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
On a bench at a busy outdoor mall right next to some patio dining along a very busy walkway. It was the only place to sit that wasn't in the glaring sun. I normally try to find a quieter spot so DD doesn't get distracted and just pop on and off to people watch while I try to keep my hand ready to pull my shirt down. It was the ultimate in baby distraction and getting enough into her took forever.

MommyAllison
03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Most uncomfortable (physically) is definitely nursing in the car (while driving, leaning over the RF car seat) - not comfortable at. all.

The most awkward place that comes to mind is when I was a bridesmaid in BIL's wedding, DD was 7 months and needed to nurse during the reception, but I had to totally unzip my dress. I ended up in the room the caterers were working out of, while they were busily carrying trays of food out, with me and DD sitting there with my dress halfway off. And then I got to do it again a couple hours later - yay! :)

LMPC
03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I NIP all the time but the oddest place I would say was either the Meineke where I get my car serviced (so much testosterone in that place) or a nice nice restaurant that DH took us to for my first mother's day. I never used a cover, so it was pretty apparent as to what we were up to.

wimama
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM
In the security line at the airport.

We happen to have to fly home from Las Vegas the same day some guy in London tried to smuggle liquid explosives onto a plane. They were allowing absolutely no liquids through security, so pumping a bottle wasn't an option. It was so, so very hot in the airport. There was a 1 1/2 or longer line for security that day. The line snaked back and forth through the airport. And, the air conditioners for the airport were overloaded by all the people standing there. It was so bad they were handing out bottles of cold water. And, after about an hour into this, my then 3 month old DS decided he needed to nurse. I wasn't about to step out of line. So, I put my coverup on and nursed him. I was about ready to kill anyone that gave me an odd look or said anything. No one even batted an eye. They were probably all just happy he wasn't crying.;)

mumofboys
03-25-2011, 08:41 PM
I NIP all the time, but one of the more unusual times was while doing a front carry in the Ergo, while walking in front of the White House, hurrying to catch a train.

Kymberley
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
DS in the Ergo while walking around IKEA. It was HOT, and the poor baby was sweaty, but he was happy!

kdeunc
03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Aboard Spaceship Earth at EPCOT sharing a car with FIL. You do what you have to do! :D

Dr C
03-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Hustling down a beach on an island off the NC coast, trying to catch the last ferry back to the shore. DD was in the Ergo. It wasn't pretty but luckily the beach wasn't very crowded!

happy2bamom
03-25-2011, 09:00 PM
On an airplane, in the middle seat, and I didn't know the people sitting on either side of me.

I also NIP at a very romantic, upscale restaurant where there were no other children except for our new born. The inlaws were watching our 2 yo, but I couldn't bear to leave the baby with them. For the record, I nursed him right at the table b/c I didn't want my expensive meal to get cold.

SnuggleBuggles
03-25-2011, 09:11 PM
While wearing a 2mo ds2 in a Bjorn, walking through the zoo, wearing heels, in the rain. I'd promised ds1 a trip to the zoo and the day before had been sunny and gorgeous but we didn't go. Feeling super guilty I picked him up at school the next day and hustled to the zoo. Unfortunately the zoo was going to close in an hour so there was no time to wait for ds2 to eat so we just went for it. As you can imagine, we encountered no one during this trip so no worries about who I might have flashed while trying to get everything lined up!

Beth

Smillow
03-25-2011, 09:11 PM
On a couch in the AS-IS section of Ikea - DS was ~14 months old at the time.

crayonblue
03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
That's weird!! Maybe he was hoping to catch a peek?;)

Oh gosh, I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ilfaith
03-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Gosh I NIP-ed everywhere. Planes, trains, automobiles (leaning over the car seat on road trips). I nursed DS1 in my stadium seat at a Jacksonville Jaguars game (fearing that I was going to appear on the Jumbotron the entire time). I nursed DS2 on the "It's a Small World" ride at Disney (also the Hall of Presidents, and pretty much any ride/show where I was sitting). I nursed DS3 in the classical sculpture wing of NYC's Metropolitan Museum of Art (guess all those nudes made him hungry).

MamaMolly
03-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I've nursed just about everywhere. Train museum? Yep. Airport security line? Yep. Walked right through the metal detector with her on the boob. Fancy shmancy restaurants? Yep.

billysmommy
03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
With Ds1, I was very uncomfortable NIP but once DS2 came along, well ya gotta do what ya gotta do :)

The weirdest place was probably while on the merry-go-round at the zoo, Ds2 was 2 weeks old and I was standing next to Ds1 while he was riding the horse. He was also nursed while in our seats at a Red Sox game, while riding a tractor at the IL's and while on a hayride. Those last 2 were kinda hard since it was so bumpy, not really recommended :rotflmao:

lovebebes
03-25-2011, 10:22 PM
oh man...everywhere. ive been NIP for over 7 years now (lol, thats a combined total) and so you name it- Ive done it!
The most recent one would have to be DH handing me the bebe to nurse right in between takes of a big commercial shoot, while everyone sort of stood there and knew exactly what I was doing. Then Id hand her back to him and go right back to work.

Nooknookmom
03-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Airplane, train, ski boat (wearing a bikini with a beach towel over us), the beach...I took DD everywhere and she was attached to a boob at some point!

Roleysmom
03-25-2011, 11:11 PM
while holding seven-week-old DD2 in my arms while standing in the 2.5 hour line to get the N1H1 shot for me and DD1. Eventually one of the public health staff saw us and directed us to a place where we could sit (with all of the pregnant women, LOL) and wait until our number was called.

american_mama
03-25-2011, 11:14 PM
150 feet underwater.... in the Chunnel, surrounded by drunk middle-aged British couples cooing over my newborn. We drove our car, which means you drive into a giant windowless railroad car which pulls you and many others vehicles through the Chunnel. You can sit in your car, get out an walk, whatever, so I sat in my passenger seat with the door open while the drunk Brits on some sort of couples weekend milled around. I had a photo, but it was lost in one of my many technical problems with digital cameras. For anyone curious, the railroad car looked just like this in the second photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurotunnel_Shuttle

I also nursed with DD2 in a sling while going through the house during our home inspection.

Fun question.

jbowman
03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
In front of the Parthenon on the Acropolis in Athens!

PMJ
03-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Car seat while driving

A dressing room

Pyrodjm
03-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Twelve rows behind the basket in Madison Square Garden.We were at a Knicks games.

DebbieJ
03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
In front of the Parthenon on the Acropolis in Athens!

Hey stranger! Good to see you!

DebbieJ
03-26-2011, 12:07 AM
I can't really think of anywhere exotic.....

Rides at WDW
Airplanes
Shedd Aquarium
Zoo
At the physical therapy clinic while DS1 had therapy

elizabethkott
03-26-2011, 12:12 AM
In the auditorium at the high school where I teach during an all-day Saturday rehearsal.
I was totally all the way back and in the dark, and I doubt that any of the kids saw me, but the assistant principal was in the building that day and of course had to choose that exact moment to "drop in" and see how rehearsal was going... he's been really really nice to me ever since...
:D

belovedgandp
03-26-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm definitely in the anywhere and everywhere category. I didn't realize that about myself until two friends of mine met each other at an unrelated third location and identified me by the fact that I nurse anywhere.

3 MO to WDW, so everywhere there
couple of funerals and one wedding

Beth24
03-26-2011, 01:32 AM
At my DS's Bar Mitzvah!

JTsMom
03-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I nursed DS1 through several echocardiograms (u/s of the heart). He has sensory issues, and those tests were like torture for him, and he'd scream and cry his poor little head off unless I did, which would make it impossible to get a good reading. The techs just worked around me.

DS2 is distracted too easily for much NIP, so we mainly stick to the car.

artvandalay
03-26-2011, 08:33 AM
I love reading the replies on this thread!

momm
03-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Nowhere too exotic
The Melting Pot - while the waiter tried his hardest not to look :D
Right here on my couch when two child-free friends were visiting - just had my C-section and was unwilling to climb upstairs over again
Once in my sleepy wrap at the library, lol

Both with covers, but still was fun to see people trying their hardest not to look.

artvandalay
03-26-2011, 08:56 AM
I can't really think of anywhere exotic.....

Shedd Aquarium

We were just there. I had asked someone working there if they had a spot where I could nurse DD. The girl working there told me I could use the bathroom :irked:

So, we caught the dolphin show and I just nursed her there in the stands.

BTW: The dolphin show isn't as good as it used to be. I was kind of dissapointed.

georgiegirl
03-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Various rides at WDW
Nursed 10 mo old DS while he was getting his first haircut (only way to keep him calm with those clippers buzzing)
At the Iowa Capitol building (this was for a nurse-in)
Train at the zoo
The el in Chicago

Roleysmom
03-26-2011, 10:11 AM
We were just there. I had asked someone working there if they had a spot where I could nurse DD. The girl working there told me I could use the bathroom :irked:

So, we caught the dolphin show and I just nursed her there in the stands.

BTW: The dolphin show isn't as good as it used to be. I was kind of dissapointed.

I've nursed during the new dolphin show too. There were a pack of kids on a field trip in front of me and I was a little self conscious of the 12-year-old ish boys right near me, but I tried to be discrete.

newg
03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
I have one of those hooter hiders so I feel pretty comfortable nursing in public. The airport terminal, a flower show, the Hinsdale oasis on I-80 in Chicago, the zoo, plus countless stores (nursing rooms and dressing rooms) and the car.

daisymommy
03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
:bighand: I so wish the rest of the U.S. mothers could read this thread and see that it can be done, you can nurse your baby in public and have a life, and it's not the end of the world or anything to be embarrassed by! I think so many people think "I'm the only one...I can't nurse in public..." without realizing there may be moms all around you doing it too!

I nursed DS#2 while he was having both an EKG and a heart echo. done at the cardiologists office, before having heart surgery at 3 weeks. The techs said they couldn't believe how content and still he was, that most babies cried the whole time. Yep, he had his milk and he was happy as a clam!

But yes, Starbucks, restaurants, library, Borders, grocery store while being carried in a sling, at my Dad's wedding, the park, Smithsonian museum in DC, airplane & airport...the fun just keeps on going! And you would be surprised at the number of times people came up to talk to my baby or play with their toes are whatever, and only then realized they were nursing ;) I got really good at nursing without a cover, and people had no clue what was going on.

lovebebes
03-26-2011, 11:41 AM
oh my..im such an idiot how could I have forgotten this one!

ok here goes....

WHILE SAYING MY VOWELS TO DH AS WE WERE GETTING MARRIED.

lmao. this is 100% true. DD was exactly 4 weeks old:heartbeat:...i have pics to prove!

artvandalay
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
oh my..im such an idiot how could I have forgotten this one!

ok here goes....

WHILE SAYING MY VOWELS TO DH AS WE WERE GETTING MARRIED.

lmao. this is 100% true. DD was exactly 4 weeks old:heartbeat:...i have pics to prove!

That's awesome! :bowdown:

That definitely blows away my story :hysterical:

JTsMom
03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I nursed DS#2 while he was having both an EKG and a heart echo. done at the cardiologists office, before having heart surgery at 3 weeks. The techs said they couldn't believe how content and still he was, that most babies cried the whole time. Yep, he had his milk and he was happy as a clam!

Darn it! Here I thought mine was unique! ;)

randomkid
03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Most uncomfortable (physically) is definitely nursing in the car (while driving, leaning over the RF car seat) - not comfortable at. all.

OK, I'm having a really hard time visualizing how this is done. Two PPs said in the car, while driving, with DC in carseat. How is that done? Seems really unsafe and not sure what kind of vehicles you have, but in a minivan, you'd have to have really long boobs - lol!

Jeanne
03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
In the confessional standing up in the pitch black during Christmas Eve mass in a packed standing room only church with only the velvet curtain separating me from view. It was pouring outside and the mass was LONG. No where else to go and my first decided to cluster feed that night.

I knew I could do anything after that! I was a new mother and she was only 3 months old.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-26-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't think anywhere is really odd or weird but I have nursed everywhere.

The most unexpected was probably while negotiating the purchase of my minivan. I didn't expect it to take that long and we didn't have any snacks for her. I just kept talking to the salesman and latched her on and he acted like nothing was going on.

I've always nursed on planes with her in the carseat, rearfacing, next to me. I just lean over and do it. But the oddest reaction was when I did that with my youngest, who is adopted and is a different race. The lady in the seat next to me looked over and smiled, and then looked at the baby, then me, then the baby again, and then stared at me like she was trying to figure out how this blonde lady could possibly be Chinese. . .

cheri
03-26-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm in the anywhere and everywhere group, too (moving cars, tourist attractions, restaurants, aquarium, etc.)

But probably the best one was at the doctors' family picnic for my hospital. I practice in a very small, pretty conservative town. Only about 10% of the docs are female, and there were only three of us under the age of 40. When DD1 was 6 months old, I took her to the annual picnic (my first) and nursed her while sitting at the picnic table, carrying on a conversation with several people. To their credit, no one batted an eye (although I'm not sure what they said later....)

Beth24
03-26-2011, 11:13 PM
OK, I'm having a really hard time visualizing how this is done. Two PPs said in the car, while driving, with DC in carseat. How is that done? Seems really unsafe and not sure what kind of vehicles you have, but in a minivan, you'd have to have really long boobs - lol!

It is not very comfortable, but it can be done. You have to kneel on the floor next to the sets and lean way over the seat, like you are trying to lie on top of the baby's car seat. I did it on our last long car trip and my 13 YO DS didn't even notice!

doberbrat
03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty much a nurse wherever you are sort of person but the oddest for me was nursing while getting a chiropractic adjustment. baby was screaming and I was laying on my back anyways.....

;) It was a first for the chiro as well....

longtallsally05
03-27-2011, 12:01 AM
on the floor of a Tokyo subway station...in the first pew at church during midnight mass on Christmas Eve...at Chicago O'Hare airport in a packed departure gate while elbow to elbow with fellow passengers-to-be...these are some of the ones that stand out in my mind.

lovebebes
03-27-2011, 02:25 AM
But the oddest reaction was when I did that with my youngest, who is adopted and is a different race. The lady in the seat next to me looked over and smiled, and then looked at the baby, then me, then the baby again, and then stared at me like she was trying to figure out how this blonde lady could possibly be Chinese. . .
:hysterical:

sunnyside
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
I nursed my baby while having my teeth cleaned when she was about 6 weeks old. I pretty much nurse her where ever I am when ever she is needing it. I hate waiting because she just fusses.

nmosur
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
I have to know.... Which commercial shoot and what were you doing in it???

oh man...everywhere. ive been NIP for over 7 years now (lol, thats a combined total) and so you name it- Ive done it!
The most recent one would have to be DH handing me the bebe to nurse right in between takes of a big commercial shoot, while everyone sort of stood there and knew exactly what I was doing. Then Id hand her back to him and go right back to work.

lovebebes
03-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I have to know.... Which commercial shoot and what were you doing in it???

it was a car commercial that i was in :)

eta: im sorry i cant tell more because if i do it will be possible for anyone who reads this to find out information about me...im not famous or anything but i am in the ent. business... once years ago, before i had kids i was a member of a board that i *thought* was harmless but turned out it was trolled and stalked and what not and i made a mistake without thinking that led people to kind of figure out more info about me than what I think any of us would want to share on a public board...it wasnt pretty and taught me a lesson about sharing info online...at least i hope it did lol.

hillview
03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
With DS1 I nursed inline at a BBB getting sheets. I had a cover and no one seemed to notice. With DS2 I nursed in lots of random places, many times with medical staff all around us so he will keep still while they looked at his head or did a scan.
/hillary

liamsmom
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
My first experience NIP was in a bar--at 2pm, it was completely empty! I was visiting my friend who worked there and had a late lunch. But while I was nursing, all I could think was "breast feeding in a bar. Hmmmm"

On the way back from a wedding, I had to nurse DS in the car. We were both in the back seat and I undid my seatbelt so I could lean forward to DS. It killed my back.

wencit
03-27-2011, 10:55 PM
On the toilet at home. I had terrible diarrhea, but DS2 was screaming his head off, and I just wanted him to be quiet.

Beth24
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
On the toilet at home. I had terrible diarrhea, but DS2 was screaming his head off, and I just wanted him to be quiet.

I've done that too! When you gotta go you gotta go!

lizzywednesday
03-28-2011, 08:49 AM
I nursed DS1 through several echocardiograms (u/s of the heart). He has sensory issues, and those tests were like torture for him, and he'd scream and cry his poor little head off unless I did, which would make it impossible to get a good reading. The techs just worked around me.

:yeahthat: for my DD recently, but we *still* couldn't get a good reading. Grrr. (She doesn't have sensory issues, though. She's just squirmy.)

But, frankly, I don't consider that to be all that "exotic" or "strange." I consider that downright necessary

My shining moments include:

* the courtyard of my college during alumni reunion/freshman orientation weekend (swarming with old men and 18-year-old kids on cell phones)
* the middle of a buffet restaurant where my dad's engagement party was being held
* the main dining room of a busy NJ diner
* DURING a choral performance in a church (while seated behind a performing soloist and surrounded by high school kids)
* on a NJ Transit train (several times)
* in the front row of a crew training meeting for a breast cancer charity walk
* during a baby shower
* during rehearsal while holding music
* before a memorial service that I was singing at
* the car (backseat, front seat, whatever)
* the "ladies lounge" at Nordie's

... so, in short, pretty much anywhere. I have not yet had the opportunity to nurse at historic landmarks or amusement parks or whatever but DD does come pretty much everywhere with me, so when she needs to nurse, that's what we do.

Now, ask me the most unusual place I've pumped, and I've got a good one - the front seat of a passenger van driving the streets of NYC.

kboyle
03-28-2011, 12:47 PM
for oddest situation i was nursing ds1 who was 2 wks old on the couch sitting next to my FIL who was watching the video of the baby's birth...on FILs bday...in the middle of a 4th of July party...

nothing funnier and more uncomfortable than FIL trying to look away from the birthing video to look over and notice his DIL was nursing. i'd never seen him run away from the room so fast, lol.

after ds1 i had no problem NIP, so if you can think of a odd location I've probably nursed there too.

GaPeach_in_Ca
03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a good picture of this that I am looking for, but in the meantime, here is DS having a snack at Yosemite, too bad I look so grumpy! :)
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/SiValleySteph/lucas_NIP.jpg

katerinasmom
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
I never used a cover, so it was pretty apparent as to what we were up to.

I never used a cover either. However, hardly anyone realized what I was doing until they look real hard. My SILs always used a cover and I always felt it was so much more obvious that they were nursing. I can't tell you how many times I was nursing and one of my now ex-relatives would come over to say hi and as they were leaning in to kiss me hello suddenly jumped back when they realized what I was doing.

lovebebes
03-30-2011, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=GaPeach_in_Ca;3089205]I have a good picture of this that I am looking for, but in the meantime, here is DS having a snack at Yosemite, too bad I look so grumpy! :)

lol the classic- The Grumpy Nursing Mother.

salsah
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
i don't think anywhere is odd. maybe while going to the bathroom.

BabbyO
03-31-2011, 12:53 PM
I've never had a problem NIP so I don't really restrict myself at all... I also don't use a cover-up because DS always pulled anything over his head off, just used my shirt to cover as much of the boob as possible:

-While walking house to house during a community-wide rummage sale, with my dad.
-Christmas shopping in Kohls...I think I was even went through the check out.
-Church-many times
-My brother's wedding (those bridesmaid dresses are really not conducive to nursing)
-During 2 separate (at different theatres) live plays. Most people didn't notice until DS took to slurping really loudly! :)

Now, my craziest pumping experience was on a work trip. There were 5 of us in a van and the driver was not particularly sensitive to my needs to pump. Our trip took longer than expected because we had to make an unscheduled stop. I just pulled the pump out, threw my sweatshirt over me like I was cold and pumped. No one knew, and I know that because one of the other passengers asked if I was doing ok or needed him to speak up so we could make a stop for me to pump. I told him, "nope, I already did" and he looked at me totally dumbfounded!

wendibird22
03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
At a conference I was co-running for some of my college students. DD1 was ~6mo. We had just finished up a busy registration period and I snuck off over to the side to a somewhat secluded area of an academic building. Well, not secluded enough because one of my male former students turned colleague coplanner came on over the chat and got a bit of an eye full.

In the ER when DD2 was 3wk old and I had contracted a horrid stomach virus and needed fluids. It was just past peak H1N1 time and everyone kept telling DH and I that DD2 shouldn't be here and I kept asking them how they propose that I send my boobs along with her. I was in a crowded ER and people kept coming in and out of my curtained cubicle and since she was a newborn she was pretty much constantly attached. DH was very worried about my privacy but I was so freakin sick I could've cared less who saw my boobs.

Park bench Downtown Disney.

momtobeoverseas
03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
so many.. but my favorite was in an art museum, on a bench in front of a Madonna and Child painting.

daisymommy
03-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Just wanted to say that I keep hearing many people say they don't understand people using nursing covers, because it makes it more obvious that a mom is nursing, and doesn't fool anyone.

Most moms I know don't use a cover to try to hide the fact that they are nursing--that's not why I used one--it was for modesty in those learning curve times when you are still having trouble not flashing your entire breast to the world. Many people are scared to nurse in public for fear of people seeing too much skin. If a cover helps them feel more relaxed and comfortable with NIP, then lets support them in that and not make them feel embarrassed about it, or like they stick out like a sore thumb or something. That's the last thing they need.

luckytwenty
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Does this count? I pumped (hand pump) in the bathroom during a U2 concert when my daughter was 8 days old. Bought the tix the day before my BFP and no way was I not going! But I didn't want to bring her, so I had to pump twice during the night to keep up with her one week old schedule.

As for nursing, I've done it everywhere!! I nursed my newborn son while he was getting heel sticks to test for jaundice because he didn't cry when that happened. I have nursed on a furniture display in a store, on city park benches, airplanes, everywhere.

As for NIP, I am all for nursing covers. I am NOT comfortable NIP mainly because I get uncomfortable when other people are clearly uncomfortable. I know it would be nice to say "That's your problem, not mine!" but alas, I am a people pleaser. I have nursed everywhere