PDA

View Full Version : Installing graco safeseat without a base. Does the seatbelt go over or under the baby

aahjed
03-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I've read the manual and watched videos, but they never show the baby in the seat. If I install it like in the pictures, then it seems like baby's legs go over the seatbelt--I can't get her legs under the seatbelt once it's installed.

rin
03-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Well, if it's anything like installing the Chicco Keyfit 30 without a base, you can only install it w/a seatbelt once the baby's already harnessed in, so you buckle in the baby, then take the whole seat and buckle that in (with the belt going over the baby's legs).

YouAreTheFocus
03-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, it is pretty hard to get them in there after it installed. When we used it w/o the base, like on the plane or when travelling, we would put the baby in the seat and then do the belt. (And yes, the belt definitely goes over the baby!!)

Neatfreak
03-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Similarly, when I'd install our Graco Snugride w/o the base, I needed to put my baby into the seat first, and then strap in the seat.

aahjed
03-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Thank you! I wish the manual would show the baby in the seat. Or maybe I'm just slow :).

So now that I know the baby is harnessed in before buckling the seat, any tips for getting a tight fit since my usual trick of putting my knee with all my weight on the seat clearly won't work

kaharris83
03-26-2011, 02:34 AM
We have the Safeseat and we install the seat without the baby in it, and then slide baby under the seatbelt. It's a PITA, which is why we usually take the base with us when we travel. That's the only time we use that seat anymore. You can't use the base on the plane though which is where we slide him under the seatbelt.

Joolsplus2
03-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Now, assuming you have a big empty minivan, here's how you do it... :ROTFLMAO: http://www.youtube.com/user/CarSeatSite#p/u/15/g9BdYRVu90g but really most us do have the baby already in the seat, and I just want you to get an idea how it looks to make the belt tight enough. Never, ever, push the head up towards the back, it will flip like crazy, so that's why she doesn't show herself doing that. It's normal, not unsafe, just don't do it: only check for movement at the belt path and you'll be good.