PDA

View Full Version : How to keep DS in his room all night?

sidmand
03-26-2011, 08:04 AM
This is partly a b*itch but more for needing ideas so I think it's more useful in the Lounge.

DS is almost six. He is on the spectrum but he's very smart and very aware and for the most part he knows what he's doing. We had a long discussion last night (because I've been completely exhausted all week and just wanted some sleep--I went to bed when they did) about how he had to stay in his room until the clock said seven zero zero. We even moved a different clock into his room because he said he liked that one better. He said what if I get up at eight zero zero? I said that would be great but unlikely.

He's been saying he's been getting up at 6:30 because the sun is coming through his window. Last night I duct taped the shade to the side of the window so no sun would come in.

So at 5:30 I wake up to go to the bathroom and he's in the playroom watching TV. This is not the first time it's happened either. I've found him at 2:30 and 4:30, etc. I can't always be worried he's gotten up to do that (I often wake up and *think* I'm hearing a TV when I'm not, although this probably only happens about once a month). If he did it again I had said I was going to put one of those baby-proofing knobs on his door ('cause he still can't do that) but then I realized he does need to get out in case he needs the bathroom.

I sent him back to his room to sleep this morning but told him he could also play quietly. Of course he was shouting/singing at the top of his lungs instead and never went back to sleep. I'm so frustrated. DH says he tends to forget what you've told him at night by morning. Well, not if it involves Mario Kart or a treat he doesn't. In fact, he has one of the best memories of anyone I know for things in general.

We used to reward him for staying in his room until a certain time but I think I'm beyond rewarding him for that. He's old enough to know better than to do what he's doing. I just don't understand. I had to go back in his room three times to tell him to be quiet this morning because people were still sleeping. I told him he couldn't come out of his room (except for the bathroom) until someone LET him out. And then at 7:30 I come downstairs and he's watching TV and told me he did wait until 7:24 to come out. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead:

MommyAllison
03-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Is he mostly getting up to watch TV? If so, can you unplug the TV or turn off the power strip (if he doesn't know how to fix that)? Or do you have a standalone potty seat you could put in his room, then put the baby proof knob on? I'm so sorry. :( Hope you find something that allows you to get some (restful!) sleep!

boogiemom
03-26-2011, 02:51 PM
We have a set time that our boys are allowed to come out of their rooms in the morning as well. Have for a few years. On the occasions when they have decided to disregard the rules, we have had to institute an addendum to the original rule. :) If they choose to get up prior to the time that has been set, we note the time that we are awakened or notice they are up and they have to go to bed early by that same amount of time. So, if we say they can come out at 8a and we hear them at 7:30a then they have to go to bed at 7:30p rather than 8p. We simply told them that they were not allowed to take our time. They are usually involved in something fun in the evening and really don't like having to stop early to go to bed. It's worked for us. Good luck.

sidmand
03-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I had thought about putting a child-lock or something on the TV. But I've also come downstairs and found him just sitting on the couch (sucking his thumb with his puppy) and staring at a blank TV screen when he couldn't turn it on! So although that would alter the TV watching part of the equation, I don't think it would keep him in his room.

The going to bed earlier is a good idea, but what to I do when it's the middle of the night? We have discussed it today (he and I) and I told him unless he stays QUIETLY in his room (and that I would prefer he goes back to sleep) then there will be no Wii at all the following day. He says he understands. I hope he really does. We'll keep reinforcing it all day and keep remind him before he goes to bed and hope it sticks.

Otherwise the potty in his room and or making it impossible to watch TV may deter him a bit. Those will be the next steps!

Jen841
03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
We have the 7:00 rule. Mommy and Daddy should not hear them until then. They are allowed to go to the bathroom.

The TV can never go on b/4 then.

Wii can be taken away, but multiple days if they repeat a behavior.

The thing that got my kids to stay in was breakfast cereal. I NEVER buy sugar cereal, and if they stayed in their room the got to have the cereal they picked out. If they got out one of us would eat the cereal at breakfast : )

My kids will do anything to earn a trip to Chuck E. Cheese. We did rewards to encourage things. We had "little" prizes along the way.

hillview
03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
I instituted a prize to stay in bed til 6 am. It worked the 2nd night for DS2 and 1st night for DS1. Then it was a prize (toy at target) after 5 times in a row which they both got. We are now up to 10 times in a row and then will be done. Today I set up the Ok To Wake clock which I think will help a lot too.
http://www.amazon.com/Wake-Childrens-Alarm-Clock-Nightlight/dp/B002RNKOM2

GOOD luck!
/hillary

ha98ed14
03-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Ok, this might sound a little extreme, but it might work. You could give it as a "If getting up before 7:00 happens one more time, this is the consequences."

Get as large a potty chair as you can find. Put it in his room, and tell him if he needs to use the bathroom, he should use this potty chair, but he may not leave his room until you come get him in the morning. If he leaves his room again, get the knob cover or take off the knob and install it backwards (or both).

Do that for a few days and see if it makes an impression?

elephantmeg
03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
we use the clock that turns green and we put them back in their room if they get up earlier.