PDA

View Full Version : doing the "right thing"

it's me
03-26-2011, 08:33 AM
do you feel guilty test driving strollers at brick and mortar stores and buying online? what if it's a small boutiquey store instead of a BRU? in my neck of the wood, there are some great small stores that have been closing left and right the past couple of years. they just can't stay open in this economy.

on the flip side...

the return policies are less accommodating
i have to pay sales tax
there are rarely coupons to use
even without coupons factored in, there prices are higher

roseyloxs
03-26-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't have any said stores in my area but yes I think I would feel a tad guilty but I would probably buy online anyway. I might give the store owner a chance to give me a deal, cover my taxes, throw in some free accessories or something of that nature. If I really liked them and thought they were helpful, I may be willing to spend more with them for the service.

When I visited a Galt Baby in the Chicago suburbs she told me they can't lower the price on their strollers due to the agreements they have with the manufacturer's but they could maybe throw in some free accessories. I was shopping for a friend who wanted the BJCE. I ended up buying online for about $350 from diapers.com. I could have found a better deal but she wanted the brand new 2010 not the 2009. After you include the 10% tax that Galt Baby would have to charge I saved almost a hundred dollars. Also Galt Baby's service wasn't outstanding by any means so I didn't feel guilty at all in this instance.

scriptkitten
03-26-2011, 10:11 AM
retailers are going to have to figure out a way to compete or they will be relegated to "showrooms"

its not just baby stores.. its computer stores, apparel, and basically any category where people can find better deals and CS online.

Melaine
03-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't feel even slightly guilty doing that. I would, truly, prefer to buy locally and in person and you never can tell when you might run across a B&M deal. I have no problem testing something in store and buying later online.
I love the idea of shopping only locally, but the truth is I just can't afford to do so.

crl
03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I think I would feel guilty.

But the couple of times I have tried to test things (strollers and highback boosters) in our local expensive baby boutique, they haven't helped me AT ALL. I have been given wrong information in a patronizing tone or ignored. I was actually prepared to pay full price for a booster, but after hanging around for thirty minutes, obviously trying to reach products and get someone's attention, I left and ordered online.

So, in my particular case I don't feel at all guilty. That store deserves to go out of business.

Catherine

Melaine
03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Just out out of curiosity, do you feel like you need to buy a car at a dealership after test driving one? To me it's the same thing, you are looking to see what you want and see if you can find it at the right price. If they have something you like, at the right price, then you buy. If not, then you go elsewhere.
To me this just doesn't come close to being a right/wrong issue.

crl
03-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I think that is an imperfect analogy. Car dealerships are on more even footing. They are all maintaining a show room and a sales force. And you are going to pay your taxes on that car no matter where you buy it.

In contrast, we use the sales people of the local baby store to educate ourselves and provide access to trying out the product, but we do not pay for it. Instead we buy from an online source with fewer employees and no store front to maintain. We "save" sales tax because the online store isn't required to collect it (assuming they don't have a physical presence in your state). But legally, you, as the purchaser, are supposed to be paying those taxes into your state. No one ever does of course. And that is lost tax revenue. Money that could be used for all the public goods and services the state and locality provides

So there is a murkier right and wrong here related to jobs. And there is actually a true legal wrong when we all evade paying taxes by shopping online.

Catherine

infocrazy
03-26-2011, 10:59 AM
No. And really, I probably wouldn't have gone to the store in the first place if they didn't have it. I think that having these will sometimes bring new customers in who might buy something else in the store.

scriptkitten
03-26-2011, 11:03 AM
When I think the salesperson has benefited me to the extent equal to the savings I'd get online, I buy locally.

My philosophy extends to any type of b&m shopping. It's up to the retailer to make me spend my money at their store.

I have no guilt when I go to a store and either get a crappy demonstration or the retailer is price gouging.

PGTB
03-26-2011, 11:19 AM
In our neck of the woods most of these little stores are large online retailers and Amazon merchants. Albee Baby, Little Folks, Schneiders, you probably have seen some of these names.

They essentially maintain the store fronts, but these stores are also very crammed, hard to try the strollers to see how they ride and the customer service is depending on who you get (sometimes great, sometimes not so). I found BBB to be a better place to try strollers, more space to actually ride them around the store and more sales personnel.

Honestly, in my stroller shopping days, I found that I knew more about strollers than most avg sales-people on the floor. I would actually show other buyers how to fold the strollers (I learned from watching youtube and other video reviews) and talk about features.

When I was ready to pull the trigger to buy a stroller at one of the stores, they were trying to sell me open box for the full price and would not give in. They said they would order for me but never called back. I am guessing they have enough online sales to stay in business and are concentrating on that more.

MamaBear
03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
There isn't as much variation in pricing in Canada, so unless one is able to buy from the US it is kind of a moot point. That said, there's one bricks-and-mortar boutique here that I have frequently gone in just to play. They have so many of the products that I like, but their CS is so horrid (snotty, snobby, condescending, misleading, and, when I *did* try to buy something there, flat-out lying) that I will buy anywhere but there. They're usually the shop closest to us that has whatever item, but I have literally driven through the whole city and two 'burbs away to avoid buying from them.

But it was awfully fun going in with my Bee+, which I bought directly from Bugaboo because it hadn't been released in Canada :yay: And I went in with my Mutsy once and another customer started asking me about *my* stroller rather than what was on sale there :bouncy:

ckelly
03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I had to drive 3 hours to a BBB to test drive only to find the store guy really unhelpful and not very knowledgeable. He wouldn't even go find the manual to show me how to fold it. I was told I would be able to figure it out myself when I bought it. So I bought it...from Amazon ;)

Multimama
03-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I haven't read all the responses, but what a timely thread for me!

Yesterday I bought a stroller online and I feel *really* guilty because my local stroller store that I :heartbeat:, and am practically on a first name basis with, carries the brand. And they offer really good deals on their strollers and try to be competitive with the online market. But their best deal was still 50% more than this online deal.

And I do feel guilty. I love their store. And I want it to stick around. And if they go out of business I would honestly feel it was not worth the 50% savings I got if my (relatively miniscule in the grand scheme of retail) purchase contributed to them closing down.

But, you know, I plan to buy some accessories for the stroller there. So they will benefit from my online purchase. And I think by being in the store, recommending the store to others, and when asked advising people to buy X stroller (rather than Y, inappropriate and usually less expensive, stroller), makes a contribution even when I don't actually lay out a lot of cash there.

And if I ever become wealthy enough to actually be able to afford it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy there locally rather than save a bit online. In fact, if I ever actually buy a Bumbleride, I'm sure it will be from them.

erv917
03-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I had this dilemma recently (albeit with a light fixture, not a stroller). I had gone shopping at a local store, and they were very helpful with talking things through with me and helping me to pick out a fixture. I didn't order right away because I brought a picture home to show DH to make sure he liked it too, and I also happened to google the fixture and saw it for about 25% less at an online store. I was tempted to order it directly from the online retailer, but then like you I felt guilty about not supporting the "little guy" (but of course still reluctant to spend $ unnecessarily). So, I decided to call the store and talked to the salesperson who had helped me and pretty much leveled with him--I had really appreciated his help and customer service, but I had seen the same item online for $x, and would his store possibly be able to match that price? He said yes pretty much with no hesitation, and I was SO glad that I had checked. I was able to support the local store, AND get a good price. I felt pretty sheepish at first, but his response made me think that such a request was not that unusual and definitely made me think it's worth a try for similar situations in the future. I can't say for sure what I would do if he hadn't matched it, I suppose it would depend on the situation and the amount of the price difference, but it worked out well and required all of 5 minutes extra of my time in this situation.

Good luck, HTH!

lhafer
03-26-2011, 01:52 PM
do you feel guilty test driving strollers at brick and mortar stores and buying online? what if it's a small boutiquey store instead of a BRU? in my neck of the wood, there are some great small stores that have been closing left and right the past couple of years. they just can't stay open in this economy.

on the flip side...

the return policies are less accommodating
i have to pay sales tax
there are rarely coupons to use
even without coupons factored in, there prices are higher

I absolutely do NOT feel guilty for doing something like that. I understand they need to stay in business. And I personally feel like in today's world - in order for smaller boutiques and businessed to stay in business it would greatly behoove them to have online stores AND B&M stores. They might not loose their business so fast.

Just out out of curiosity, do you feel like you need to buy a car at a dealership after test driving one? To me it's the same thing, you are looking to see what you want and see if you can find it at the right price. If they have something you like, at the right price, then you buy. If not, then you go elsewhere.
To me this just doesn't come close to being a right/wrong issue.

I test drive a car, and then go find exactly what I want and get an online quote. I've done it for a few cars now. They get my business, and I get a better deal. And it would keep me going back to them in the future.

And there is actually a true legal wrong when we all evade paying taxes by shopping online.

Catherine

I disagree. I feel like our taxes are paid in other ways. Where I live we do not have state income tax, but many people gawk at our property taxes. We pay a lot out of our paychecks for taxes every paycheck. We pay every time we go to the grocery store, or buy something at the convenient store. So if I can save a little money when I buy ONE thing by buying it online and I can do it tax free AND no shipping? Yeah - I will buy it online. It's not like I buy a stroller every week. I do buy groceries and sundries every week. And like a PP said, if there's a B&M store that I love, but don't want to stomach the tax by buying it there, I would then buy accessories, etc to make up for it.

crl
03-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I disagree. I feel like our taxes are paid in other ways. Where I live we do not have state income tax, but many people gawk at our property taxes. We pay a lot out of our paychecks for taxes every paycheck. We pay every time we go to the grocery store, or buy something at the convenient store. So if I can save a little money when I buy ONE thing by buying it online and I can do it tax free AND no shipping? Yeah - I will buy it online. It's not like I buy a stroller every week. I do buy groceries and sundries every week. And like a PP said, if there's a B&M store that I love, but don't want to stomach the tax by buying it there, I would then buy accessories, etc to make up for it.

I don't understand. Are you arguing that it is not against the law to evade sales tax? Or are you arguing that it isn't morally wrong? Because the first is pretty clear cut in most states. It is simply illegal not to pay sales tax. On morals, well, I'm not up for that debate.

Catherine

Catherine

roseyloxs
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't understand. Are you arguing that it is not against the law to evade sales tax? Or are you arguing that it isn't morally wrong? Because the first is pretty clear cut in most states. It is simply illegal not to pay sales tax. On morals, well, I'm not up for that debate

:yeahthat: The only way you wouldn't be breaking the law is if you come from a state with no sales tax like Oregon.

TwinFoxes
03-26-2011, 02:43 PM
When I think the salesperson has benefited me to the extent equal to the savings I'd get online, I buy locally.

My philosophy extends to any type of b&m shopping. It's up to the retailer to make me spend my money at their store.

I have no guilt when I go to a store and either get a crappy demonstration or the retailer is price gouging.

This is how I feel. I don't think it's wrong at all for someone to try but buy elsewhere. But when I bought my BJCMD I tried it out in the store and the owner was very helpful and attentive. It was a good price, but not the rock bottom. I bought it there anyway.

The car analogy doesn't quite work for me, because I think car dealerships work with higher margins. My one car won't hurt them. But I worked in a small bike shop in college. Literally a couple of high end bikes could make a huge difference to the owner. In my head small boutiquey stroller shops are probably similar.

ashleybama24
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I always feel guilty especially when someone takes time to show me various stroller models and all the functions. Most of the local stores around here email coupons and claim they will price match but I find that that taxes make it not economical. I have ordered from smaller baby boutiques online rather than a bigger retailer though in order to support a smaller business.

lhafer
03-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I always feel guilty especially when someone takes time to show me various stroller models and all the functions. Most of the local stores around here email coupons and claim they will price match but I find that that taxes make it not economical. I have ordered from smaller baby boutiques online rather than a bigger retailer though in order to support a smaller business.

I would totally do that as well. And that's what I was trying to say earlier. It would be better for smaller businesses to either go online or have both B&M stores and online stores if they want to stay with today's markets.

Multimama
03-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Because the first is pretty clear cut in most states. It is simply illegal not to pay sales tax.

Okay, I'm confused. I have never heard before that it's illegal not to pay sales tax on an item you bought out of state. How does this work? Suppose I buy something on Amazon and I don't pay sales tax on it. But you're saying that legally I'm supposed to pay the tax I would have paid on it if I would have purchased it from someone in my state, right? So how would I do that?

I'm just asking because I'm curious about how this is supposed to work. And also because I had no idea that this is illegal. I *did* always think it was strange.

crl
03-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Yep. In most states, you, as the purchaser, are obligated to pay the sales tax. Sometimes it is called a use tax when the purchaser is paying. You would contact your state revenue department and pay them. No one ever does this, of course. But legally we are supposed to.

So, setting aside morals, it is legally wrong to buy online from an out of state seller in order to evade sales tax.

Catherine

ETA link: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/sales-tax-internet-29919.html

vludmilla
03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Okay, I'm confused. I have never heard before that it's illegal not to pay sales tax on an item you bought out of state. How does this work? Suppose I buy something on Amazon and I don't pay sales tax on it. But you're saying that legally I'm supposed to pay the tax I would have paid on it if I would have purchased it from someone in my state, right? So how would I do that?

I'm just asking because I'm curious about how this is supposed to work. And also because I had no idea that this is illegal. I *did* always think it was strange.

You pay when you file your state income taxes. If you use something like TurboTax, it prompts you to indicate how much sales tax you owe. Every once in a while a state will go after people who are avoiding paying sales tax with online purchases. I think it is rare but I know that NY pursued people who were buying cigarettes online and not paying taxes on it. I wonder how many people track all of their online purchases and then claim it pay the sales tax?

crl
03-26-2011, 03:13 PM
You pay when you file your state income taxes. If you use something like TurboTax, it prompts you to indicate how much sales tax you owe. Every once in a while a state will go after people who are avoiding paying sales tax with online purchases. I think it is rare but I know that NY pursued people who were buying cigarettes online and not paying taxes on it. I wonder how many people track all of their online purchases and then claim it pay the sales tax?

Some states have it on their income tax forms, but not all. You may be legally obligated to pay even if your state doesn't have it in their form.

Catherine

Multimama
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Some states have it on their income tax forms, but not all. You may be legally obligated to pay even if your state doesn't have it in their form.

This seems like it's putting a lot of the burden on the purchaser. I didn't even know I was supposed to pay sales tax on out-of-state purchases. I don't usually keep track of them at all. By this system I would need to calculate it all myself and then submit it somehow, either at tax time or another time?

It seems like at a minimum when you purchase an item online it should say on your invoice something like: "You as the purchaser are responsible for paying your sales tax. In your state, your tax on this item would be X." It could even say, "*Click here* if you would like to pay this tax now," and then it would take you to some page for your revenue service where you could pay the tax by credit card.

I know not knowing about these things is not considered a valid excuse for not doing them, but it could certainly be made a lot easier for people to be law-abiding in this regard.

it's me
03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
i decided to go with the phil and ted at my local brick and mortar and i don't regret it at all. customer service was fabulous. highlights...

they bought back my old stroller at fair market value (probably more than i could have CLed it for)
they gave me a 10% off discount on stroller accessories (which essentially brought it down to amazon prices)
they threw in above discount to a few other items
were generally really helpful

it's been interesting to read all of these responses. thanks!

Multimama
03-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Congratulations on your new stroller!

I would love it if my local store bought back strollers. Maybe then I wouldn't have so many! :p

purpelina
03-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Congratulations on your new stroller!

I would love it if my local store bought back strollers. Maybe then I wouldn't have so many! :p

:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
03-26-2011, 05:08 PM
I think I would feel guilty.

But the couple of times I have tried to test things (strollers and highback boosters) in our local expensive baby boutique, they haven't helped me AT ALL. I have been given wrong information in a patronizing tone or ignored. I was actually prepared to pay full price for a booster, but after hanging around for thirty minutes, obviously trying to reach products and get someone's attention, I left and ordered online.

So, in my particular case I don't feel at all guilty. That store deserves to go out of business.

Catherine

Same experience here. Had anyone even just come over and asked if I had any questions of the time I would have happily handed over my money!

So, service like that? No guilt. Really good service? I'd be inclined to buy B&M if they have a good return policy or CR reputation. I hate the idea of shipping a return back so B&M shopping appeals to me even if cost is a bit higher.

eta- congrats on your new stroller!!

Beth

it's me
03-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I would love it if my local store bought back strollers.

well, that's just the thing. at first, i couldn't understand why they'd do it, especially since they price fair. i mean, it'd be one thing if they were able to flip it for a higher price. but it makes total sense because it kept my business. i mean, i could have sold it myself, but then it'd be such a hassle to deal with it. and if couldn't find a local buyer, then i'd have to deal with finding/making a box. so much work!

instead, i just rolled it in and received the value as a credit towards a stroller i was buying and know for certain that i won't be returning.

everyone wins!

ThreeofUs
03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Congratulations on your new stroller! Sounds like you have a great place to shop.

I don't feel guilty for buying on line at all. Heck, I negotiate with on-line merchants when I can get a better price from another on-line retailer.

But if a local store would
1. approach the price of on-line
2. give me great service
and
3. stand behind their products,
I'd be happy to buy there.

I don't have any around here like that. :(

lhafer
03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Yep. In most states, you, as the purchaser, are obligated to pay the sales tax. Sometimes it is called a use tax when the purchaser is paying. You would contact your state revenue department and pay them. No one ever does this, of course. But legally we are supposed to.

So, setting aside morals, it is legally wrong to buy online from an out of state seller in order to evade sales tax.

Catherine

ETA link: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/sales-tax-internet-29919.html

As someone who just had to pay an additional $10,000 in taxes (making total taxes $50,000+ paid to the govt) last year because on paper it looked like my husband's reimbursement payments for school were extra income and it bumped us up to the next bracket...let's just say, I think Uncle Sam sees plenty of tax money from our house. ;)

roseyloxs
03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
As someone who just had to pay an additional $10,000 in taxes (making total taxes $50,000+ paid to the govt) last year because on paper it looked like my husband's reimbursement payments for school were extra income and it bumped us up to the next bracket...let's just say, I think Uncle Sam sees plenty of tax money from our house. ;)

ouch...

Melanie
03-26-2011, 08:00 PM

I agree. Especially with big box stores when you often get zero help or I know more than they do.

spannaz
03-26-2011, 09:55 PM

Please pardon the lack of knowledge and off-topic nature of this question, but in the US when you jump up to the next tax bracket, do you get charged the new income tax on your whole income, or just the portion of income in the next bracket? Here in Canada, if we jump to the next tax bracket, we are charged the extra income tax on the extra amount we earn. Or is that the same in the States?

Sorry again about the off-topic nature, but I'm just curious :loveeyes:

lhafer
03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Please pardon the lack of knowledge and off-topic nature of this question, but in the US when you jump up to the next tax bracket, do you get charged the new income tax on your whole income, or just the portion of income in the next bracket? Here in Canada, if we jump to the next tax bracket, we are charged the extra income tax on the extra amount we earn. Or is that the same in the States?

On the whole income. And when I worked, I was taking almost half my pay towards taxes because his salary was in one bracket, and then my salary pushed us unti another bracket, so I got reemed on my salary. which is why I am now a SAHM and it hasn't hurt us as much.

And since we got pushed into the alternative tax (whatever it's called) on supposed income we never really had, we were unable to claim his education, our house or our child as tax deductions. And we also got hit because we sold our house, and had to bring $21,000 to the table at closing. Not to mention the money we had to have for the house we built.

Yeah, 2009 really and truly sucked.

edurnemk
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Yes I do feel guilty, which is why I bought my Vista from the B&M store, even though I originally had no intention to do so, since I wanted to save at least on the sales tax (10% in IL). But the saleslady spent so much time helping me choose a stroller (on more than one visit to the store), and she knew so much about strollers, that I felt like I'd be stealing from them if I bought it elsewhere, YKWIM? In fact I probably would've gotten the Cam, if it wasn't for her, she did a really great job.

So I took a deep breath and said "OK, I'll take this one in red". The plus is she assembled it for me and took it out to the parking lot and put it in my car. I felt the extra $ I paid was for the great service (I had no idea you were supposed to pay sales tax on out-of-state purchases).

If the service is bad, though, I feel no guilty from shopping elsewhere.

KrisM
03-26-2011, 10:55 PM

It's the same here. You only pay the higher amount on the part over a certain amount. For example, these are the brackets for married filing jointly:
$0 – $17,000............10% of taxable income
$17,000 – $69,000.....$1,700 plus 15% of excess over $17,000
$69,000 – $139,350....$9,500 plus 25% of excess over $69,000
$139,350 – $212,300..$27,087.50 plus 28% of excess over $139,350
$212,300 – $379,150..$47,513.50 plus 33% of excess over $212,300
$379,150+................$102,574 plus 35% of excess over $379,150

So, if last year, you made $68,000, you paid $1700+.15*(68,000-17,000)= $9350. If you increase your earnings to $70,000, the new tax is $9500+.25*(70000-69000)=$9750.

KrisM
03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
On the whole income. And when I worked, I was taking almost half my pay towards taxes because his salary was in one bracket, and then my salary pushed us unti another bracket, so I got reemed on my salary. which is why I am now a SAHM and it hasn't hurt us as much.

And since we got pushed into the alternative tax (whatever it's called) on supposed income we never really had, we were unable to claim his education, our house or our child as tax deductions. And we also got hit because we sold our house, and had to bring $21,000 to the table at closing. Not to mention the money we had to have for the house we built.

Yeah, 2009 really and truly sucked.

You don't pay the tax rate on the whole income. Take a look at the tax tables here: http://cashmoneylife.com/marginal-taxes-and-2010-federal-income-tax-brackets/. Everyone pays 10% on part of their income and then 15%, etc as it goes up. No one will pay 25% on all of their income.

spannaz
03-26-2011, 11:56 PM
It's the same here. You only pay the higher amount on the part over a certain amount. For example, these are the brackets for married filing jointly:
$0 – $17,000............10% of taxable income
$17,000 – $69,000.....$1,700 plus 15% of excess over $17,000
$69,000 – $139,350....$9,500 plus 25% of excess over $69,000
$139,350 – $212,300..$27,087.50 plus 28% of excess over $139,350
$212,300 – $379,150..$47,513.50 plus 33% of excess over $212,300
$379,150+................$102,574 plus 35% of excess over $379,150

So, if last year, you made $68,000, you paid $1700+.15*(68,000-17,000)= $9350. If you increase your earnings to $70,000, the new tax is $9500+.25*(70000-69000)=$9750.

Thanks for clarifying :D. I love learning something new everyday. Do you also pay state income tax? We pay provincial and federal income tax, so in Alberta we pay an additional 10% on top of our federal tax (15%, 22%, 26%, and 29% going up in approximate $40,000 increments).

Thanks again for letting me ask this seemingly boring and off-topic question :tongue5:

KrisM
03-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for clarifying :D. I love learning something new everyday. Do you also pay state income tax? We pay provincial and federal income tax, so in Alberta we pay an additional 10% on top of our federal tax (15%, 22%, 26%, and 29% going up in approximate $40,000 increments).

Thanks again for letting me ask this seemingly boring and off-topic question :tongue5:

It varies by state. I'm in Michigan and we pay about 4% in state tax and 6% in sales tax on most things. We also pay property tax. Some states have no sales tax, some have no income tax.

crl
03-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Yep, varies by state. I live in CA. We pay income tax and sales tax. If we owned a house we would pay property tax on it. We pay tax on our car. We also pay locality sales tax.

Catherine

liamsmom
03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
This seems like it's putting a lot of the burden on the purchaser. I didn't even know I was supposed to pay sales tax on out-of-state purchases. I don't usually keep track of them at all. By this system I would need to calculate it all myself and then submit it somehow, either at tax time or another time?

It seems like at a minimum when you purchase an item online it should say on your invoice something like: "You as the purchaser are responsible for paying your sales tax. In your state, your tax on this item would be X." It could even say, "*Click here* if you would like to pay this tax now," and then it would take you to some page for your revenue service where you could pay the tax by credit card.

I know not knowing about these things is not considered a valid excuse for not doing them, but it could certainly be made a lot easier for people to be law-abiding in this regard.

:yeahthat: This is quite timely, as we just did our taxes last week. Our accountant asked about online purchases and my face fell. (I would seriously need a box to hold all of my receipts for a year of online purchases.) Then she said, "Never mind. Don't worry about it." I don't know what to make of that. (And I'll probably delete this post due to IRS paranoia.) But it seems incredibly difficult to enforce this with ALL online purchases.

liamsmom
03-27-2011, 01:09 PM
In regards to the OP, I think it depends on the situation. If I were in a Mom&Pop B&M store and the salespeople took the time to help me out, I'd feel really guilty. If I couldn't justify the expense of buying a stroller from them, then I'd at least buy something and try to regularly support their business.

But where I live, we only have big chain stores like BRU, BBB, and Target and I don't feel guilty at.all. by buying online and not giving them my money. Especially BRU, since it pretty much ran the only baby gear store in town (of 30+ years) out of business--a year or two before I was pregnant.