PDA

View Full Version : Double Stroller vs. Baby Carrier+Single Stroller

LoveBeingMrs
03-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Just curious as to which method people prefer. Please vote! :yay:

ETA: We're not even thinking about having DC#2 (at least not for another two years), but I'm already thinking about the stroller situation! :P

We'll most likely get a ride-on board for our Bee+, and a rumble seat for our Vista. I already have an ERGO, but considering getting a Beco or Moby for the infant stage. If the rumble seat doesn't suffice, I guess I'll eventually get a double for walks around the neighborhood.

Before I had DS, I thought about getting a double stroller from the get go, and just using the extra seat to hold bags (kind of like the Donkey!!).. lol. Thankfully, the wonderful ladies on this board convinced me to wait until I actually have two children to get a double! :)

roseyloxs
03-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I answered single + carrier but my real answer is single + ride along board or carrier depending on which of the kiddos is blessed with using the stroller.

GvilleGirl
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
I think it depends on the age of the kids and what you are doing. I have two under two and usually have a tandem. When I flew I did bjorn and carrier but I can't imagine doing that for something we were out all day for.

LoveBeingMrs
03-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Good ideas, mamas! I only have one DC, and I haven't started researching what to do with two! :p I wish there was a way to edit the poll to say "which method do you prefer for long outings" and "single stroller plus"

Multimama
03-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Well, I didn't vote because I don't have 2 kids, but I hope that if we ever have another we would be able to get away with a single and ride-on board and carrier. But I'll have a 3+ year gap if we have another so that should be doable. If I had kids closer in age than 2.5 years I think I'd want both kinds of doubles. But like I said, I'm just guessing. :)

citymama
03-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Depends on the age of kids. With mine (4 yrs apart) we do carrier and walk.

crl
03-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Mine are 6 years apart. So pretty obviously we just have one rider. When dd was under six months, I used a carrier a lot. Now that she is heavier I use the stroller quite a bit. I do think it depends a lot on the age spread. Farther apart makes it easier to do a single and either a carrier for the baby or a ride on board for the older child I would think.

Catherine

MamaBear
03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Mine are three years apart, so almost always a single with a ride-on board. Very rarely now, I use the Mutsy DuoSeat, and sometimes use the double Chariot. I don't have a 'real' double.

jacksmoma
03-26-2011, 05:14 PM
just had to chime in!!! i think a double is TOTALLY needed if your kids are less than 3 years apart...my almost 3 1/2 year old still needs to sit in a stroller often like big stores and walking near streets. we tried ikea the other day with a single and it was a DISASTER!! my 3 year old would not follow us and so in the strolller he went but then there was nowhere for my almost 2 year old! espc. when i'm doing things on my own (most days) a double is a lifesaver! i would rather have a double (bob duallie) and no single and have an extra seat open :)

sweetsue98
03-26-2011, 06:05 PM
I will preface with I only have DD that is 11 months so I don't have experience with a second. I voted double stroller because my back can't handle a carrier for long periods of time. When DD was 2 months I used the bjorn for short walks but as she got heavier it was harder to use.

roseyloxs
03-26-2011, 06:19 PM
just had to chime in!!! i think a double is TOTALLY needed if your kids are less than 3 years apart...my almost 3 1/2 year old still needs to sit in a stroller often like big stores and walking near streets. we tried ikea the other day with a single and it was a DISASTER!! my 3 year old would not follow us and so in the strolller he went but then there was nowhere for my almost 2 year old! espc. when i'm doing things on my own (most days) a double is a lifesaver! i would rather have a double (bob duallie) and no single and have an extra seat open :)

This is when a carrier would come into play. I would throw my 2 year old on my back. You can live with out a double but need to be willing to babywear beyond the newborn stage. I understand its not for every mom or even some cases the child.

I will preface with I only have DD that is 11 months so I don't have experience with a second. I voted double stroller because my back can't handle a carrier for long periods of time. When DD was 2 months I used the bjorn for short walks but as she got heavier it was harder to use.

You probably have a bad carrier, most bjorns are included in that category. At about 6-9 months I move my child to my back which is much more comfortable and with a very well built carrier they feel almost weightless. I can easily carry my 2 or even my 4 year old for several hours on my back.

Kaylee31
03-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Hmm, what about an "all of the above" option? :p
I only have one child, and DS will most likely be close to 3 or older when we have our next DC. I think I will prefer a SBS AT double; and also a single stroller w/a riding board on the back & a carrier too (so I can alternate riders when need be).

roseyloxs
03-26-2011, 06:32 PM
I only have one child, and DS will most likely be close to 3 or older when we have our next DC. I think I will prefer a SBS AT double; and also a single stroller w/a riding board on the back & a carrier too (so I can alternate riders when need be).

Sounds like what I do. I had an AT double for the neighborhood. Never went in the car. Always used a single and Valco HH for the car. Although my son almost never rode in the double anyway and my kids were less the 2.5 years apart.

LoveBeingMrs
03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
We're not even thinking about having DC#2 (at least not for another two years), but I'm already thinking about the stroller situation! :p

We'll most likely get a ride-on board for our Bee+, and a rumble seat for our Vista. I also have an ERGO, but considering getting a Beco or Moby for the infant stage. If the rumble seat doesn't suffice, I guess I'll eventually get a double for walks around the neighborhood.

Before I had DS, I thought about getting a double stroller from the get go, and just using the extra seat to hold bags (kind of like the Donkey!!).. lol. Thankfully, the wonderful ladies on this board convinced me to wait until I actually have two children to get a double! :D

MommyAllison
03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
My kids are 2.5 years apart, and with DS being born in the spring, we used our MBUD a *ton*. We walked to the park pretty much every day, sometimes more than once, and I loved having a true double stroller. DD still fits in the MBUD now, though we rarely have her ride, but I'm so spoiled by the AT tires that I can't go back to our P3 now. :) 99% of our stroller usage is outside though.

Our next baby will be 3.5 years younger than DS, and DS will turn 4 by the time the weather is nice enough for strollers, so I'm not sure what we'll do. We're keeping the MBUD, because who knows what the spacing will be next time, but I'd really like a single AT, too. We have 2 parks within 5-10 minute walks from home, but both require crossing a *very* busy street, so I think we'll use the MBUD even when DS is 4, for that reason.

Katigre
03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
My kids are almost 3 years apart and I did not get a double stroller. I did not miss it and when needed would carry DD on my back or in a carrier and push DS (this was generally only on longer walks where DS would walk the first half and be pushed home the second half). Once he was 4 a stroller was really irrelevant for him and I'm glad I didn't splurge on a double.

arivecchi
03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Voted other because it depends on the situation.

Outdoors/long walk: side by side double

Indoors/car/PT: single with toddler board and/or baby carrier

purpelina
03-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I voted "other", because like Arivecchi said, a lot depends on the situation.

My kids are 3 years apart, I never had a double, because I didn't want to wrestle with it, and I wanted the mobility and being able to get into cabs, and even crowded busses if I had to.
I was thinking about doubles, and considered a phil & teds one,, but decided against a double all together.

I used a single, sometimes I also had a carrier with me (in case I thought my oldest would be tired), but really used carrier just a few times. My youngest didn't like being in a carrier, and my oldest always was a good walker.

When we had a long outing, we always went either with my dh, or with friends, so I used 2 singles.

That's what worked for us.

momtoax3
03-26-2011, 10:56 PM
I voted side-by-side double, but then my girls were only 15 months apart! I tried a tandem, briefly, and wanted to throw it out the car. My first sbs double was the BJCMD...a must for a mall/car stroller.

Of course, even though they are only 1 and 2, I have a wide variety of strollers now:
For one kiddo - Mac Triumph (might be selling) and Indie single
For one or two kiddos - Uppa Vista w/rumble seat (will likely sell in the fall), likely will add an Ergo carrier to the mix soon b/c my 2 year old LOVES being piggyback carried by dad.
For two - Indie Twin (BJCMD in process of selling)

drcarpiodds
03-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Voted other: all of the above. SBS (BJCED) for outdoor walks around the neighborhood or on our nearby trail. Tandem (britax b ready and phil and teds, bob with #2 on footwell) for shopping, malls, amusement parks, and other tight spaces. Ergo and single stroller (mini or bob) with an infant and toddler for quick errands. Each stroller has its purpose ;)

sweetsue98
03-27-2011, 12:33 AM
This is when a carrier would come into play. I would throw my 2 year old on my back. You can live with out a double but need to be willing to babywear beyond the newborn stage. I understand its not for every mom or even some cases the child.

You probably have a bad carrier, most bjorns are included in that category. At about 6-9 months I move my child to my back which is much more comfortable and with a very well built carrier they feel almost weightless. I can easily carry my 2 or even my 4 year old for several hours on my back.

Omg! You have to let me in on the secret. My DD is 25 lbs and the thought of carrying her for hours makes my back hurt.

MoJo
03-27-2011, 07:22 AM
As of today, we're an "all the above" family. Mine are exactly two years apart. We've survived the first nine months with a carrier for the baby and a stroller for the toddler, followed by the stroller for the baby and the toddler walking (which is just not fun for me for a whole lot of reasons). My side-by-side double just arrived Friday; I put it together yesterday, and I'm hoping to test it out today!

LoveBeingMrs
03-27-2011, 11:35 AM
My side-by-side double just arrived Friday; I put it together yesterday, and I'm hoping to test it out today!

Which one did you get??! :D

liamsmom
03-27-2011, 12:38 PM

:yeahthat: I voted other since I only have one kid, but I think about this all the time. :rotflmao: It will probably be a 3-4 year age difference between kids. I know I'd like an AT double for trips to the park. But I've learned a lot about babywearing, and I think (depending on DS' toddler behavior) that I could get by with one stroller and wearing the baby/ride on board for places like the mall.

Voted other: all of the above. SBS (BJCED) for outdoor walks around the neighborhood or on our nearby trail. Tandem (britax b ready and phil and teds, bob with #2 on footwell) for shopping, malls, amusement parks, and other tight spaces. Ergo and single stroller (mini or bob) with an infant and toddler for quick errands. Each stroller has its purpose ;)

This makes the most sense to me. I do wonder about the MB +1. It could serve as an all-around double--for AT walks and tight spaces indoors. It's way too early to say, but I think it will come down between choosing between the BOB Duallie and MB +1. ...Plus you know, an ideal reversible stroller for the baby. :rotflmao: