PDA

View Full Version : Help me recommend a stroller for new parents living in the city

Edensmum
03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
My baby brother is having a baby. They will be living in an apartment in one of the burrows of Manhattan.
Off the bat the Indie came to mind. Has the parent facing basinet feature and is AT and fairly lightweight. Any thoughts that might be more appropriate?

arivecchi
03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Do they have an elevator building? Do they have a car? Do they take public transportation?

Edensmum
03-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes to all of your questions.

scriptkitten
03-27-2011, 09:38 AM
The Indie might be too bulky for PT as not all of the subway stations have elevators and the ones that do often are gross.

She might do better with a Baby Jogger City Mini or something else with a simple fold.

It all depends on how often she uses the subway or buses. If she rarely uses those things, then maybe she can do a Swift or another AT and just use an Ergo type carrier for when she takes the subway. Once the baby is bigger she'll probably end up wanting a Maclaren or Uppa G-Series.

arivecchi
03-27-2011, 09:41 AM
I would have two strollers then - a lightweight one for car use and PT - like an umbrella or Bee and a more full featured one for the neighborhood. They could also get a do- it stroller and a baby carrier for PT - like the Indie, swift, quad, cam, frog. Those are all ok for city living but probably too large for NYC PT.

PGTB
03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
My baby brother is having a baby. They will be living in an apartment in one of the burrows of Manhattan.
Off the bat the Indie came to mind. Has the parent facing basinet feature and is AT and fairly lightweight. Any thoughts that might be more appropriate?

Will they need to fold the stroller at the apartment? Do they have space to store it unfolded?

TraciSK
03-27-2011, 11:07 PM
I searched high and low and did tons of research on strollers because living in the City, it's the only way I transport my daughter. Here's what worked best for me.

I started off with the Snap n Go and car seat. I know people are going to dismiss this because of the potential to overuse a car seat, but it's the only way I was comfortable taking a taxi or a bus those first few months. In NYC taxis and buses are a way of life and a car seat is a must to keep your little one safe. I didn’t feel like my daughter spent too much time in the car seat because she was only in it when we were out of the house and in the very beginning I didn’t spend hours away from home. Plus the huge basket on the Snap n Go is great for carrying groceries back from the store.

When my munchkin got a little older, I got the BJCM because of the quick and easy fold. I love it and because it folds in half, we hang over a closet door and it's out of the way (key bc most NYC apartments have limited space). I love this stroller. It's my go-to everyday stroller option. It's great for long walks, with an easy push and one-handed steering.

Now that she's 18mos and spring / summer will be here I wanted an even lighter weight stroller I could throw over my shoulder for taking the subway and I got the Aprica presto. That's a personal choice because I liked the higher seat. I thought that was important because DD is less likely to get smacked in the face with shopping bags and sits higher than most car bumpers when we're trying to cross the street and some jerk is blocking the crosswalk which happens all the time.

You will see at lot of Bugaboos and Uppa Vistas in the City. Most of my friends swore by the big luxury strollers for the bassinet which was great to have when you have an infant. Now that most of us are in toddlerhood the Bugs and Vistas are collecting dust and taking up precious space. Many of my friends complain that their DC doesn't like the stroller and you are limited to walking if you use that stroller because it can't be used on public transportation (since it doesn't fold easily). At this point, many switch to a Mac, G-luxe or other umbrella stroller.

BJCM are becoming much more popular and I think it's a great stroller for NYC because it's light weight, folds easily, reclines and is easy to maneuver in tight spaces. I would start by looking at this stroller. Plus the cost of the BJCM and Mac are less than one of the luxury strollers.

Regarding AT - I didn't even consider it as a factor. It's NYC. The sidewalks are all paved and very rarely do you go over rough terrain where AT would be necessary. The BJCM has a great, smooth ride.

I hope all of this helps. If you have more questions, I'm happy to answer them.

mackmama
03-27-2011, 11:32 PM
I would say the Bugaboo Bee+ because it is lightweight, parent-facing, suitable from birth, and folds pretty small (although it is a 2-handed fold). I also agree the BJCM would be a good option.

PGTB
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I searched high and low and did tons of research on strollers because living in the City, it's the only way I transport my daughter. Here's what worked best for me.

I started off with the Snap n Go and car seat. I know people are going to dismiss this because of the potential to overuse a car seat, but it's the only way I was comfortable taking a taxi or a bus those first few months. In NYC taxis and buses are a way of life and a car seat is a must to keep your little one safe. I didn’t feel like my daughter spent too much time in the car seat because she was only in it when we were out of the house and in the very beginning I didn’t spend hours away from home. Plus the huge basket on the Snap n Go is great for carrying groceries back from the store.

When my munchkin got a little older, I got the BJCM because of the quick and easy fold. I love it and because it folds in half, we hang over a closet door and it's out of the way (key bc most NYC apartments have limited space). I love this stroller. It's my go-to everyday stroller option. It's great for long walks, with an easy push and one-handed steering.

Now that she's 18mos and spring / summer will be here I wanted an even lighter weight stroller I could throw over my shoulder for taking the subway and I got the Aprica presto. That's a personal choice because I liked the higher seat. I thought that was important because DD is less likely to get smacked in the face with shopping bags and sits higher than most car bumpers when we're trying to cross the street and some jerk is blocking the crosswalk which happens all the time.

You will see at lot of Bugaboos and Uppa Vistas in the City. Most of my friends swore by the big luxury strollers for the bassinet which was great to have when you have an infant. Now that most of us are in toddlerhood the Bugs and Vistas are collecting dust and taking up precious space. Many of my friends complain that their DC doesn't like the stroller and you are limited to walking if you use that stroller because it can't be used on public transportation (since it doesn't fold easily). At this point, many switch to a Mac, G-luxe or other umbrella stroller.

BJCM are becoming much more popular and I think it's a great stroller for NYC because it's light weight, folds easily, reclines and is easy to maneuver in tight spaces. I would start by looking at this stroller. Plus the cost of the BJCM and Mac are less than one of the luxury strollers.

Regarding AT - I didn't even consider it as a factor. It's NYC. The sidewalks are all paved and very rarely do you go over rough terrain where AT would be necessary. The BJCM has a great, smooth ride.

I hope all of this helps. If you have more questions, I'm happy to answer them.

I live in Manhattan as well and have to agree with the most points in this post, it is very good at summarizing lots of important points about stroller choices in NYC. I just have to add that the choice of a stroller is still going to depend on particular preference and the variations of lifestyle, so I will add my perspective here, which is a bit different from PP.

My recommendation is to get a used Bugaboo or a new one (depending on their budget) then sell it later when a need for a full featured stroller is no longer there. I bought my Cam used from a family that downgraded to the umbrella when their baby neared two years old. They have a great resale value and no reason to have it sitting in your apartment gathering dust if not using it. Vista or Mutsy would be other alternatives, personally I prefer Mutsy, then Teutonia then Vista because Vista doesn't have much suspension and has EVA wheels. The reason why Bugs and Vistas are much more popular than AT strollers is because they have reversible seats, bassinets and shorter footprint and tighter turning radius - easier to navigate in crowded spaces, small elevators, doorways, etc.

If they are set on getting an AT stroller and don't care about reversible seat, I don’t see why not, there are AT strollers in NYC. I know at least two families that use them as their main stroller (Bob and MBUS), I've also seen Indie. Maybe having access to the car allows them to go out of town most weekends where they will need AT capabilities on more rural terrain. If they just want cushier ride for the city's sidewalks I also don't blame them wanting air tires or a bit of a suspension - NYC sidewalks can be pretty rough, although, of course you will be totally fine with whatever stroller you choose. Personally, I prefer something with a smoother push for really long walks, I cannot imagine walking 5-8 miles on regular basis every weekend with the umbrella or a plastic wheel stroller with no suspension. It can be done and is done, I just personally don't like it given there are other options.

Choosing AT stroller I would go for something that has a flat seat, so can be suitable for a newborn with a carrycot or a snuzzler. I think Indie and Mountain buggy has that feature, Bobs don't recline fully flat and you would be forced to use a car seat for a newborn.

The umbrella stroller would come into the picture anyway when the baby gets older.

As far as storage and public transportation is concerned, my experience has been different from the PP. It helps if your stroller can fold easily and compactly, but IMO, folding the stroller every day is just a PITA because you need it several times a day and it's much easier if your stroller just sits there in the hallway unfolded, loaded with necessities and ready to go. Same with the public transportation, if you fold your stroller you have to take the baby out plus take the stuff out of the basket and off handles, remove the footmuff if necessary. It is very hard to do with a small child who cannot yet walk and traveling by yourself. Possible if you have two adults, but still will add time. I found this bothersome personally, so we rarely take PT - usually take a subway where we can both carry the unfolded stroller with the DS in it up/down stairs. It's awkward and heavy, but it's fast this way and there is no protesting from DS and no need to wake him up if he is napping. Alternative to this is to bump the stroller with large back wheels up/down stairs, but it's also slow and not something I would do with the small child, so you might still need to take your baby out.

Currently, buses are off limits for us, but it's a non-issue. Later on, when DS starts walking and the weather gets better, things would be easier and maybe we'll get an umbrella for PT. Still, personally, I am spoiled when it comes to the stroller push and prefer a stroller that would glide smoothly and where we won't be feeling every bump, which is why I was starting to look into Micralite Fastfold (air tires on the back, 14 lb weight, standing umbrella like one handed fold).

HTH

PGTB
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I would say the Bugaboo Bee+ because it is lightweight, parent-facing, suitable from birth, and folds pretty small (although it is a 2-handed fold). I also agree the BJCM would be a good option.

I have a Bugaboo Bee + as well and I recommend it as one and only stroller, although it is not really AT. If they need AT capabilities, it won't work for them at all, it has small wheels and will be bumpy on rough terrain. It has a great suspension and easy push, but still, it is mainly to be used on city sidewalks and occasionally to traverse the grass lawn, dirt road, etc. It doesn't have a bassinet, but has a nearly flat seat and can be used with the newborn nest from Bugaboo. It's a GREAT car stroller, we always take it with us when traveling anywhere, plane, automobile :) It also folds easily and can be stored in the closet if they are willing to do this every day. Plus, it has a compact footprint.

BJCM is a very popular stroller here, they get recommended to first time buyers often because they also take a bassinet (although it costs as much as the stroller itself or more I think) and the car seat and have a nearly flat recline. People fall in love with them because of the fold, but personally, I've not seen anyone board a bus with them, it's usually a compact umbrella I see on the bus. I see it used with carseats for newborns all the time, not something I would recommend. Also, BJCM footprint is not smaller than a Frog or a Cam or a small AT like MB Swift and the ride won't be as smooth. MB Swift has 10 inch air tires and can be a good alternative to BJCM except fold of course. BJCM is actually wide for a compact stroller, it would not fit in most tight places in restaurants like the typical umbrella would and you would still have to fold it or leave it by the door. Personally, I would get an umbrella over the BJCM because of the smaller footprint and ability to carry it by a strap on the shoulder.

arivecchi
03-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree with PGTB. The BJCM is too wide for city restaurants and buses. I have seen them get stuck in the turnstile area in Chicago buses.

TraciSK
03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
I agree with PGTB. The BJCM is too wide for city restaurants and buses. I have seen them get stuck in the turnstile area in Chicago buses.

I would like to respectfully disagree. I use my BJCM regularly in NYC restaurants and rarely have a problem unless it's a place that requires all strollers to be left at the door.

As for taking the BJCM shopping or around town, the only places I've had accessibily issues are places that have stairs which no stroller is getting around.

I also take my BJCM on the bus and I see them on the subway. Yes, it's a pain to pull DD out of the stroller so that I can fold it, but it can be done.

And by the way, it's a law that all strollers must be folded on an NYC bus or the driver won't move. I've seen it happen a few times and it's never pretty to watch new parents struggle to fold the stroller with a bus load of angry New Yorker's glaring at them. One time a nanny had to get up and help a couple with a newborn fold their bugaboo. I felt so sorry for them.

I do agree that all of this is personal opinion and you have to find the stroller that meets most of your needs. That's why forums like this exist because let's face it, there is not one perfect stroller for everyone.

scriptkitten
03-28-2011, 09:23 PM
And by the way, it's a law that all strollers must be folded on an NYC bus or the driver won't move.

thank goodness that's not the law in Boston. you'd have no choice but to babywear a twin until they were at least 2.5.

i cannot imagine having had to unload both twin infants (or young toddlers) and fold a stroller before getting on a bus.

mmommy
03-28-2011, 10:04 PM
A lot of the choice will really depend on what kind of city dwellers your brother and his SO are. Do they tend to stick around their neighborhood? Do they travel around the city a lot?

I'm also in NYC. I take DD all over the place. I'd suggest an ergo for early on (heck, later too - I used mine this winter to back carry 2yo DD when we were snowed in) and then 2 strollers for later - one with an easy push and something light and easy to fold like a volo for taking on public transport.

The first stroller will completely depend on what sort of space they have - we use a Techno and love it, but we need to fold to get it out of the way. I hear a bunch about Macs not having a good one hand push, but I do it all the time while drinking a coffee. Some crazy sidewalks can be problematic, but it has never been an issue for me. And DH likes never having to worry if the stroller will fit into anywhere he wants to go without making it impossible for others to be there as well (think little bodegas for example)

The lightweight stroller is key for travel so the parent can carry the child up and down stairs while they're strapped in the stroller. Really, getting your child out and back in again is ridiculous. I know lots of people who have BJCM and the Bugaboos, but they don't take those out of their neighborhood. That's what the volo is for.

arivecchi
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I would like to respectfully disagree. I use my BJCM regularly in NYC restaurants and rarely have a problem unless it's a place that requires all strollers to be left at the door.
I also take my BJCM on the bus and I see them on the subway. Yes, it's a pain to pull DD out of the stroller so that I can fold it, but it can be done.

I have seen BJCMs get stuck on buses while Macs breeze by. BJCMs are popular here too. They are just not great for PT. Thank God we don't have to close our strollers here! That's awful!

scriptkitten
03-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I have seen BJCMs get stuck on buses while Macs breeze by. BJCMs are popular here too. They are just not great for PT. Thank God we don't have to close our strollers here! That's awful!

i think we all have different buses. I drive my Vibe right in the front door and turn the corner and park her right in the VAST handicapped area that takes up practically 20% of the bus. plenty of times, i'm not even the only stroller and there's still room for other people getting on and off.

when i lived in nyc, and i was childless and ignorant i probably would have shot death daggers at anyone trying to bring a stroller onto a packed bus. i remember having a hatred of anyone with big strollers or gosh-forbid double strollers and i'd think to myself "those horrible selfish parents ought to make their 3 yr old WALK. how dare they take up so much room and coddle that toddler!!!"

then, i had twins and bought a BOB duallie.

until my kids can be trusted to never leave my side and never ignore my safety instructions AND walk for 2-5 miles at a quick pace while holding their own gear they will be riding in that Duallie.

life changes your perspective.

mackmama
03-28-2011, 11:03 PM
when i lived in nyc, and i was childless and ignorant i probably would have shot death daggers at anyone trying to bring a stroller onto a packed bus. i remember having a hatred of anyone with big strollers or gosh-forbid double strollers and i'd think to myself "those horrible selfish parents ought to make their 3 yr old WALK. how dare they take up so much room and coddle that toddler!!!"

until my kids can be trusted to never leave my side and never ignore my safety instructions AND walk for 2-5 miles at a quick pace while holding their own gear they will be riding in that Duallie.

:rotflmao: This cracked me up. Life certainly is an eye-opener, that's for sure!

arivecchi
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
i think we all have different buses. I drive my Vibe right in the front door and turn the corner and park her right in the VAST handicapped area that takes up practically 20% of the bus. plenty of times, i'm not even the only stroller and there's still room for other people getting on and off.

LOL. I probably thought the exact same thing when I lived in NYC and Chicago as a single woman. Now I :love-retry: my side-by-side Duo! Get outta my way! :ROTFLMAO:

TraciSK
03-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I know I was the jerk on the bus with the glaring looks before I had my daughter. Now on the rare occassion I'm out and about solo, I offer other mamas a hand. I'm hoping the karma balances out :)

Mayzaid
03-29-2011, 08:19 PM

This was definitely me, even when I had DD #1 an extremely well behaved DC. DS has since changed my perspective immensely, now I know why people have their 3 yo strapped in a stroller, some DC's have no fear or regard for their personal safety and it has nothing to do with parenting. Now that I am expecting DC#3 and DS will be only 2.8 both DH & I see the absolute necessity for having a double stroller especially for when I am out by myself with all 3 DC's. Yes I have become what I once despised a dreaded parent desperately clutching a double stroller for a newborn and yes a 3 year old.

I have lived and learned and shall go on learning.

purpelina
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
it's all good - we are ever changing! I wonder what kind of little old ladies will we become... I plan to be the one who doesn't offer unsolicited advice, and is best friends with her teenage grandchildren (or great grand children?).

I'll be living in NY and they(grandkids) will prolly count on me for a place to crash...
We'll see!