PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of a range oven with two doors?

julevizamom
03-27-2011, 09:25 AM
We've been looking at new appliances and since we can't really fit a double oven without sacrificing cabinet space, I'm intrigued by the range ovens that have a top and bottom oven. Here's the one we're looking at: http://hhgregg.com/ProductListing.asp?SID=n&CategoryID=455&pCategoryID=454&CategoryName=Cooking+Electric&SubCategoryName=Free+Standing&PageNo=1&Price=&brand=KitchenAid
The top is really one rack, and the bottom has two. The advantage is that the top one is really accessible and makes it much more energy efficient b/c you're not using a whole huge oven just to cook on one rack. The disadvantage is that the bottom oven is kind of low and it would be tough to haul out a big Thanksgiving turkey, but I guess that's only once a year. What do you all think?

SnuggleBuggles
03-27-2011, 09:30 AM
My ILs have one like that and really like it. 2 ovens is very handy.

Beth

vludmilla
03-27-2011, 10:05 AM
We have the GE Cafe which has a lower oven that goes to 450 degrees and is good for baking or cooking things like a casserole. I love it. The main oven is still quite large, I think 5.0 cu ft and the lower oven is about 1.0 and fits two 9x12 casserole dishes side by side. It worked beautifully for me cooking Christmas dinner for a large group. We got ours for much cheaper than the list price, I think $2000.

KrisM
03-27-2011, 10:18 AM
We've had a Maytag Gemini since September and LOVE it. I use the top mostly and it preheats quickly and cooks just fine. I like having the second for baking cookies faster and doing things at 2 temperatures. Our top oven also toasts, so we got rid of our toaster oven, which was very nice.

My only complaint is that the bottom oven is pretty low. Getting heavy things out of it could be tough. But, I haven't done a turkey, so it's been fine so far.

belovedgandp
03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I have had a Maytag one for over two years now and LOVE it.

You've hit the biggest downside; getting heavy things out. It is way down there, but totally doable. The first time it takes you by surprise but then you position your body better and it's no big deal for the few times a year there's something massive in there.

I use the smaller top oven 80% of the time. It heats up so quickly. I'd never owned a toaster oven before (not one for small appliances) but I do use the toaster capacity on this one and like it.

The bottom oven has been fine for large items and multiple things on the shelves. The top oven is a little narrower on mine. I did have to buy a couple of new cookie sheets. My old ones were about a 1/2 inch too wide to fit in the top oven (still fine on the bottom).

julevizamom
03-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm glad to hear the positive reviews. This is really the best source for unbiased opinions! It's interesting that there are two types of double-door ranges...I didn't know about the GE Cafe one with the single rack on the bottom part. I'll have to check that out. Thanks, all!

niccig
03-27-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm glad to hear the positive reviews.

When we eventually redo the kitchen, this is what I'm thinking of doing too - I could really use the extra oven. I often change what I'm making because I have 2 things to cook at 2 different temps. My mother has a beast of a stove that has 2 ovens, separate broiler and warming drawer - it is heaven to cook in her kitchen, but we'll never be able to afford the stove, nor have room - it was her dream stove.

julevizamom
03-27-2011, 12:46 PM
When we eventually redo the kitchen, this is what I'm thinking of doing too - I could really use the extra oven. I often change what I'm making because I have 2 things to cook at 2 different temps

Yep, it just seems like a great alternative to a wall oven, and the energy efficiency is a total bonus.

KrisM
03-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Mine is white, not SS, but you could check a Sears Outlet if you have them. I paid under $700 for mine in the fall.

Mommy_Again
03-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Love it. Use the top one 90% of the time and it's quick and energy efficient (at least that's what I tell myself). The second oven is a godsend when I entertain.

marit
03-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't have experience with double door ovens, but I LOVE my Kitchenaid oven. Just sayin'...

ellies mom
03-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I absolutely love our double oven. It is a Jenn-air. We mostly use the top one and it heats up so fast and it very easy to get in and out of. I love that I can cook things at different temps or bake bread while making dinner. Both ovens broil, bake and keep things warm. The lower oven has convectron baking and a proofing setting for bread which I never noticed until I went over just now to see what the options are. Cool, that will come handy the next time I make bread.

The only thing that baffles me is that the middle of the five burners on the cook top is a really small one. In my world, that should be the huge "Let's boil up some Lobsters" burner. But seriously, that is my biggest complaint that is specific to the Jenn-air.