PDA

View Full Version : 'Saved by the Belt' stories

Joolsplus2
03-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to share a few recent tragic crashes that had happy endings, thanks to proper restraint use...
You guys here are all doing such a good job of keeping your kids and yourselves restrained, and trying to get the word out, too (despite all the usual obstacles we all face, of people arguing 'we never used a seatbelt and were fine', or, 'my doctor said I had to turn my 10 month old FF because he was too big to RF', etc).

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=157601
"When the highway patrolwoman arrived, she asked my dh how many casualties were in the car, when he said none, she told him she'd never seen an accident this severe without casualties"

And Ketchupqueen, a very popular poster at c-s.o was on her way to Lifesavers with her family yesterday, and was in a severe one-car rollover..

"Seat belts and car seats just saved my family's lives.
(As did proper car maintainance, and cargo storage.)

On our way to Phoenix, just a few miles away, my husband (driving our 2002 Odyssey) hit an obstacle in the road. We don't know what it is, but we all felt the bump, then were airborne, and onto a gravel shoulder. We skidded on the gravel. The van hit a barrier (right at the rear driver's side, where my 4 year old daughter was seated.) It then flipped across the highway. My husband was braking the whole way. (He had just had the tires rotated and pressure checked, and the brakes replaced.) It slowed us considerably. We went into a ditch at an angle and became airborne. We went down on the passenger side of the vehicle, nose first, and then flipped over upside down.

My daughters (the 4 year old, almost 5, and her 2 sisters, 6 almost 7 and 2 almost 3) were screaming. This meant they were alive and I was glad. My husband and I were suspended by our (properly worn) seatbelts. I had significant neck pain. My husband was able to exit the vehicle fairly easily, but I was trapped; I had to be extracted with the Jaws of Life (after fending off a bystander who wanted to cut my belt with a pen knife and pull me out, yelling at him, "Do not cut my seatbelt! Wait until the EMTs arrive to hold c-spine! If you want to do something, get me a jacket and treat me for shock!")

My 4 and 6 year olds were harnessed properly in properly installed and used, tethered seats. (The 6 year old is usually boostered, but because it was a late night trip I didn't want to risk her falling asleep and falling out of position.) My 2 year old was rear-facing. The heavy cargo in the van was all packed tightly down in the bottom of the trunk, compartmentalized behind and under the seat as much as possible before we left. My husband and I had our seatbelts and headrests properly fastened and adjusted and were seated in proper position.

My husband has a mild lung contusion and abrasions from his seatbelt and "road burn." I have a lot of stitches in my arm (which dragged along the ground outside the car-- the trauma surgeon says that the braking slowed us enough to save me from having it ripped off) and on my face and bruising all over. My 6 year old has minor abrasions (more road burn) and bruises. My 4 year old, with the most severe injuries, suffered a severe cut to her foot (aptly and completely repaired by great surgeons) and a broken leg (remember, she was AT the first point of impact, a side impact.) My 2 year old, who was in the rear-facing seat, was completely unharmed. Not a mark on her. Nothing. Despite the fact that we landed on the side of the car she was on (she was behind me, I was in the second row passenger seat, and the forward-facers were second and third row driver's side.)

Please know that your passion, all of you, pulled me into the wonderful world of occupant safety. It saved my children from severe injury, and quite possibly saved their lives. I know that luck played a big part in our survival (I was not in my usual seat in the front passenger compartment, which was completely destroyed.) But I also know that that same luck, if I hadn't been motivated by all of you, every one of you, to learn how to maximize our safety on the tiny off chance we got in a crash THAT trip, saved us.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so much! KEEP DOING THIS WORK."

There's another blog with more description... http://carseatnanny.blogspot.com/2011/03/why-i-do-what-i-do.html
And an extremely graphic series of photos...don't click if you are squeamish... http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd516/ketchupqueencrash/MSKs%20pics/

And here's another blog comparing this crash to one with almost no damage to the car, but the toddler in the back seat was improperly restrained and died... http://zollyzoo.com/jennblog/?p=3891

DebbieJ
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Wow. Thanks for sharing this.

niccig
03-27-2011, 01:11 PM
OMG...I'm so glad she's OK..I've read a lot of her posts over on car-seat.org. I've got goose bumps reading this.

blue
03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow, Thanks for sharing Jools... I remember reading some of Ketchupqueen's posts on car-seat.org. I am so glad to hear they all made it out of the crash......... I like that she mentioned the other things she did to help keep every one safe in the event of a crash. Like tire pressure, breaks checked, adults proberly restrained, and one I need to work on: "The heavy cargo in the van was all packed tightly down in the bottom of the trunk, compartmentalized behind and under the seat as much as possible before we left".... It's a good reminder for everyone (and me ;))..I am so glad they all made it!

ThreeofUs
03-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you so much for sharing!!

MamaMolly
03-27-2011, 09:51 PM
What a wake up call. I'm cleaning out the car in the morning, before I put my girls back into it. All the crapola is getting thrown away or properly stored. Thank you for this post!

catsnkid
03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
We had a scary crash 8 months ago with DS. He was absolutely fine in his RF seat. I had severe bruising and stiffness for a few weeks.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-28-2011, 01:22 PM
when I click on the link it tells me I do not have access to that page.

smiles33
03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Wow, Thanks for sharing Jools... I remember reading some of Ketchupqueen's posts on car-seat.org. I am so glad to hear they all made it out of the crash......... I like that she mentioned the other things she did to help keep every one safe in the event of a crash. Like tire pressure, breaks checked, adults proberly restrained, and one I need to work on: "The heavy cargo in the van was all packed tightly down in the bottom of the trunk, compartmentalized behind and under the seat as much as possible before we left".... It's a good reminder for everyone (and me ;))..I am so glad they all made it!

:yeahthat: I'm so thankful she and her family are safe and relatively unharmed given the severity of that crash. I had total goose bumps, too!

What a timely reminder re: other car safety issues, too! Our SUV has a tote bag of emergency equipment that is usually bungee corded down but DH undid it recently because we had to move something. I am going to ask him to re-bungee cord it as soon as he gets home!

Joolsplus2
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
when I click on the link it tells me I do not have access to that page.

Bah, I didn't realize it was in the community member forum.

"Totalled our suburban. Dd1 is 11 and has a broken foot (3fractures). We took her to okc children's but ortho can't do surgery until Thursday or Friday.
On our commute to school, we drive on narrow roads with no shoulders. On one of the straight aways, I saw a dodge crew cab swerve and overcorrect. He came in and out of our lane twice and I slowed and pulled off the road with the passenger tires in the ditch. I did everything I could to get away but I knew he was going to hit us. He hit us on the drivers side before my door and scraped all the way down. My seat was pushed over where the console should be. Dd 1 was sitting behind me. Both of our faces look like we have been thru a meat tenderizer.
Some lady had narrowly missed being hit and watched the accident in her rearview mirror. She stopped and ran back. The driver of the truck crawled out and crawled the 40+ yards on his hands and knees because he heard my babies screaming. The lady grabbed my Liddie (nearly6) thru the window and took of running toward her car with her. I lost it. She never introduced herself, just snatched her and ran. That's when I realized the suburban was on fire. The man who hit us was on his hands and knees throwing dirt under the car. Then he reached thru the smoke and jerked the fuel line out with his bare hands. Josie was going to get Liddie and jumped out of the window because none of the doors would open. She had unbuckled Samuel and threw him to me. When she stood up she said "my foot is broken" and some man picked her up and carried her to the lady's car. They got dd2 and my baby out. Everyone was covered in glass.
When the highway patrolwoman arrived, she asked my dh how many casualties were in the car, when he said none, she told him she'd never seen an accident this severe without casualties.
The other driver was declared 100% at fault and has accepted full responsibility. He is very upset and is a very nice man who just slid off the road and could not regain control."

(There's a picture of a white suburban with damage on every single surface from rolling over).

KDsMommy
03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
OMG I am in tears reading these stories. Thank you so much for posting. I will be sharing these.

Joolsplus2
03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Apparently there's going to be some sort of formal press release of Ketchupqueen's crash via safetybeltsafe, I'll post it as soon as I see it.

o_mom
03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Here's pictures of Ketchupqueen's van (shared with permission):

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/trbo_wgn/da23bac0.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/trbo_wgn/65f395e0.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/trbo_wgn/c3a7bd9a.jpg

Kitten007
03-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Wow. :47: I can't believe these two stories. AMAZING MIRACLES!!! That is why I always check here when I have questions. My complete trust is in Jools knowledge. Thank you so much for sharing.

o_mom
03-28-2011, 06:56 PM
For contrast, a poster over at www.car-seat.org (http://www.car-seat.org) posted about a crash last week where an unrestrained little boy was killed. This is the total damage to the car that he was riding in:

http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/2490/249064/24906442.JPG?filter=ksl/img200

From http://www.ksl.com/public/index.php?nid=148&sid=14845286 posted first by jennzee at www.car-seat.org (http://www.car-seat.org).

Joolsplus2
03-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks, O_mom :applause:
Yeah, that contrasting story is very eye opening, isn't it? Poor baby :(

blue
03-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Wow. :47: I can't believe these two stories. AMAZING MIRACLES!!! That is why I always check here when I have questions. My complete trust is in Jools knowledge. Thank you so much for sharing.

:yeahthat: Thank you for sharing.

Joolsplus2
03-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Updated in the first post with links to pictures and blogs, all shareable (please, share them, Ketchupqueen really wants to spread the word :thumbsup:)