PDA

View Full Version : Hit me with your favorite quick, kid-friendly recipe for ground turkey

PAfirsttimemom
03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Title says it all. Turkey is thawing in the microwave as we speak. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Whatever you would use ground beef for is fair game. Meatloaf baked into muffin tins "frosted" with mashed potatoes is always yummy. Hamburgers, tacos, sloppy joes, pasta with meat sauce...

This is one of my favorite quick meals. It's like a Hamburger Helper type thing but homemade. Here it is (though the orginal calls for non-fire roasted tomatoes) Add a bit of paprika for flavor and don't cook the noodles for 10 minutes! Check them after 5 minutes:

Spanish Noodle Skillet
adapted from the More-with-Less Cookbook (http://astore.amazon.com/pinkofperfect-20/detail/083619263X)
Serves 4-6
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water
4 cups egg noodles
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Sauté onion, green pepper, and ground beef together until meat is browned. Season with salt and pepper, and add oregano. Stir in tomatoes and water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Bring to a boil, and add egg noodles. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 additional minutes. Stir in grated cheese and serve.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
i make these all the time on our George Forman grill. pretty simple so i often have DH make it. :)

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/actually-delicious-turkey-burgers/Detail.aspx

Babymakes3
03-27-2011, 05:59 PM
I made Pioneer Womans Meatballs last night! They were a big hit! I also did pasta and fresh green beans.

billysmommy
03-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I make homemade mac and cheese and put either
ground turkey or ground beef in it. Super easy and
very yummy!!!

shawnandangel
03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Whatever you would use ground beef for is fair game. Meatloaf baked into muffin tins "frosted" with mashed potatoes is always yummy. Hamburgers, tacos, sloppy joes, pasta with meat sauce...

This is one of my favorite quick meals. It's like a Hamburger Helper type thing but homemade. Here it is (though the orginal calls for non-fire roasted tomatoes) Add a bit of paprika for flavor and don't cook the noodles for 10 minutes! Check them after 5 minutes:

Spanish Noodle Skillet
adapted from the More-with-Less Cookbook (http://astore.amazon.com/pinkofperfect-20/detail/083619263X)
Serves 4-6
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups water
4 cups egg noodles
Sauté onion, green pepper, and ground beef together until meat is browned. Season with salt and pepper, and add oregano. Stir in tomatoes and water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Bring to a boil, and add egg noodles. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 additional minutes. Stir in grated cheese and serve.

Beth

That sounds so yummy, I'm going to try it this week! Thanks for the recipe Beth.

OP, anything goes with turkey. I love turkey meatballs:

2# ground turkey
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup dried parsley
1/2 cup romano cheese
1/4 teaspoon ea. of salt and pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 egg

Mix turkey with water and then mix in other ingredients until meat seperates from bowl. Make sure not to overmix the meat. Brown in a skillet with olive oil. Throw into pot of spaghetti sauce and let simmer 1-2 hours. (You don't have to put them in the sauce but I like to)

PAfirsttimemom
03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I made Pioneer Womans Meatballs last night! They were a big hit! I also did pasta and fresh green beans.

Is there a link to this?

Thanks for the quick suggestions, everyone!

sarahsthreads
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I do a turkey chili:

1 lb. ground turkey
2 cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you like your chili)
cumin to taste
small amount of chili powder (depending on how much your kids can handle!)
salt & pepper to taste

Brown the turkey (I usually put a tiny bit of oil in), add the onions and saute until soft, add the beans, chicken broth and spices and simmer for 20 minutes or so. (The longer you simmer it, the better it is, but the canned beans are already soft so it really only needs to all heat up.)

Serve with some shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

Sarah :)

clc053103
03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
turkey Meatloaf.

I add one egg, some bread crumbs, an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, fresh ground pepper, and a few shakes of worcheshire sauce (I know that is spelled wrong!). Throw it on a broiler pan in a meatloaf shape so the grease drains off.

Admittedly, I also LOVE Hamburger Helper made with ground turkey.:bag

Tondi G
03-27-2011, 07:26 PM
my boys would probably ask for Tacos if I had ground meat. It would work for spaghetti and meatsauce as well.

Clarity
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I agree, you can use it in place of anything you'd make with ground beef. I prefer ground turkey to ground beef in my spaghetti w/meat sauce. I think it adds nice flavor. I'm making homemade ground turkey sloppy joes this week.

Babymakes3
03-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Is there a link to this?

Thanks for the quick suggestions, everyone!

Yup! The recipe is posted in this review!
http://www.thegoodtastereview.com/2010/pioneer-woman-cookbook-comfort-meatballs-recipe/

I just used my own bbq sauce instead of hers though bc I knew ds liked that for sure.

PAfirsttimemom
03-27-2011, 08:40 PM

Spanish Noodle Skillet
Serves 4-6
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups water
4 cups egg noodles

Beth

We had this. I had most everything on hand except the green pepper and part of the cheddar (ran out so used part mozzarella). Very tasty! Thanks to all. Will bookmark your suggestions for the future.

lil_acorn
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
I make turkey burgers - add a little S&P, worcestershire sauce. Add soem bacon or avocado if we have it at home too.

american_mama
03-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I know the OP has made her meal by now, but for anyone else, I make Barefoot Contessa's Turkey Meatloaf recipe, which I got off BBB years ago.
http://www.food.com/recipe/barefoot-contessas-turkey-meatloaf-77992
My kids really like it, but they are big meat eaters.

I make a half recipe, since the original calls for 5 pounds of meat. I also make every part of it easier: I use dried thyme, regular table salt (half a recipe would be 1 tsp kosher salt, which is more like 1/2 tsp table salt), ketchup instead of tomate paste (like I'm going to open a can of tomato paste to use a measly 1 tsp?), and I usually skip the ketchup on the top.

Half recipe makes one pan of meatloaf, on the small side. I'm usually disappointed that there's not enough for significant leftovers.