PDA

View Full Version : My Deep Freeze Died

HIU8
03-27-2011, 07:28 PM
And I need to replace it ASAP. I have a 20 cubic ft upright deep freeze (no ice maker) from my parents. It's roughly 35 or 40 yrs old. It's lasted a LONG time. It finally began intermittently shutting off (or not freezing) and I lost a HUGE pot of chicken soup and 4 bags of veggies and a lot of cut up chicken. So, we are saying goodbye to it and replacing it. I'm going to Sears to see what a new one costs (last years model, no go ga's on it whatsoever). I'm also going to check out Sears outlet to see how much we would save by going there. It has to be an upright and at most 20 cubic feet (that is the max for the space we have to put it).

What we have is a Kenmore. I know I won't get another one that will last as long as our current one has. Other than Kenmore, what brand should I look at?

hellokitty
03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
We have a frigidaire and are really happy with it. Sears always seems to have some open box ones on their floor, maybe you can score a good deal.

katydid1971
03-27-2011, 08:15 PM
FWIW Kenmore is lots of different brands. I just got a new freezer for our garage there last week. Its a Kenmore made by Haier which is also the brand Costco carries. Kenmore has other freezers by Whirlpole (I think) This is the one I got. It has a very small footprint which is what I wanted.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04629702000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Freezers+%26+Ice+Makers&sName=View+All&sbf=Brand&sbv=Kenmore

mushka
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
we just got one in costco. It was about $170 Haier

erikh
03-27-2011, 09:09 PM
I would look at a chest style and just big enough for what you normally keep in it. A chest style is alot more efficent that an upright freezer. Cold air is heavier than room temp air, on an upright all that cold air spills out when you open the door. On a chest freezer most of the cold air stays in when the door is opened. As stated earlier kenmore does not make stuff, they just re-brand stuff.

HIU8
03-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I really dislike the chest style where I would be digging for stuff. I'm really only looking at uprights to be honest.

katydid1971
03-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I really dislike the chest style where I would be digging for stuff. I'm really only looking at uprights to be honest.
:yeahthat: That's why I went for the small upright. I would totally lose stuff in the bottom of a chest freezer.

HIU8
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Right now I've got my small freezer (above the fridge) in my spare fridge chocked full. I cannot see what I have and it falls out when I open the door. Plus, I have my freezer upstairs completely full and I have to dig to get stuff out of there (a side by side fridge/freezer). I just lost the 20 cubic feet of space I was using to be able to see what I have (and it was getting full--esp with the holidays coming and doing the pre-cooking). I may go down to a 16 cubic foot freezer but I think that's all I can downsize to and still get to everyththing. We are going to be buying this coming weekend.

hellokitty
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Just in case you end up with a chest freezer mine came with baskets and I also used some boxes for the stuff at the bottom to keep it organized (1/4 of a cow). I kwym about things getting lost, esp since I am a short person, I literally feel like I dive to the bottom to get things out. However, using the baskets and boxes has helped a lot. We had a smaller chest freezer before and I did not try to use any containers to organize and I felt like I had to swim through pkgs of frozen food every time I looked for anything. So, I understand why you'd want to get an upright. Someone gifted us our most recent chest freezer (works in the industry), so we just accepted what we got. I knew from our past exp with our small chest freezer that I needed to organize and to me it's helped a lot. I can also tell my DH exactly where to find something if I send him down to the basement from the freezer.