PDA

View Full Version : What to serve at 1.30-3.30 birthday party?

citymama
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
What would you serve at a 1.30-3.30 party for a 5th birthday? Location is a science and nature museum. I'm assuming kids will have eaten lunch and we can have snacks like hummus, veggies, cheese, crackers, fruit and drinks and then serve cake. Yah? Please tell me I don't need pizza or lunch!

Also, for those of you who've had parties at museums or places like that - do people go exploring the museum after/before the party, or during? What do the kids do in the party room for those two hours? The reservation fee includes the room and museum entry, but no organized activities specially for the party.

TIA for any advice!

mctlaw
03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Every party I have heard of like that has a set amount of time to play or explore, and then they call/page/intercom for the party attendees to report to the party room for the allotted cake/food/present time.

I think your food plan sounds fine. My only concern might be if the party was in a somewhat remote location where people might have been traveling to get to the destination during their normal lunch time. If that's not the case, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

SnuggleBuggles
03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Your menu sounds perfect.

We went to a 4yo party today that was at the same time as your party and they did have pizza. The host is a good friend so I helped out by serving pizza and clearing things away. the pizza was barely touched by any child- each kid got a piece and some had 0-1 bites out of them. I had told her before that it was unnecessary to serve pizza at a 1:30 party, people will have had lunch, but she feels all parties should have pizza.

At museum parties there has always been a staff host that pretty much shepherded us to some part of the museum and everyone could explore that part of the museum. People weren't supposed to venture out of that area. Before the museum time and after there was time for a craft and games, presents, food and cake.

Beth

boolady
03-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Your menu sounds perfect.

I agree! Sounds great!

vdrake71
03-28-2011, 12:17 AM
I would recommend looking into a craft during that time. Also, we have been having the kids decorate their own cupcakes for birthday parties. It kills time and the kids really enjoy it.

Melanie
03-28-2011, 01:22 AM
I think your menu sounds perfect and for drinks I'd just do water, in case they spill.

Percycat
03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
I would recommend looking into a craft during that time. Also, we have been having the kids decorate their own cupcakes for birthday parties. It kills time and the kids really enjoy it.

We have also made a simple craft or decorated cupcakes at museum parties. Last year, our kids science musuem had a special earth day event where the kids made individual dirt cakes. You could have the pudding mixture already served in clear plastic cups and let the kids top with crushed oreos and gummy worms. Since your museum is a nature museum, a dirt cake might fit with the theme. My daughter still talks about making this for earth day.

angela