PDA

View Full Version : sand and stroller?

Edensmum
03-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Can your average AT stroller handle the beach? The sand covered play grounds? I took my Fizz through a little bit on sand at a resort and bent it. I didn't realize there was any deep sand, but and air tire stroller is a different thing.

okinawama
03-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I had hoped that my BOB would be a great sand/beach stroller, but for me, it never really was and I rarely ever took it with us. I found that trying to get through even semi deep sand/dunes was more work than it was worth. My friend that lived on the beach with us had a phil and ted's and she had the same experience. Both of us learned to pack well and carry the kids or walk slower.

mackmama
03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
I take the MB Terrain on the beach and am pretty impressed with how it handles. I definitely prefer pushing it near the water on the packed sand, but it goes through the deep sand pretty easily with a little bit of muscle. Locking the front wheel seems to make it a little easier.

jbbhb
03-28-2011, 12:13 AM
I take my BOB revo on the sand here all the time, if its really deep I lock the wheel. My husband prefers to pull the stroller backward over the deep sand. Its a bit of a workout, but worth it :)

PGTB
03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I've never seen a stroller effortlessly glide on the sand (unless it's maybe by the water where it's nicely compacted). They all seem to get dragged/pulled through the soft sand handle first and often tilted on their back wheels. I think the only thing that would have easy push on the soft sand is something with really fat air wheels (like balloon type of wheels for greater surface area), not just regular stroller tires that tend to be on the thinner side and would just sink in. Or maybe I am wrong.. this is just what I observed: people dragging plastic Evenflo/Graco/Peg strollers and even umbrellas through the sand with the same ease as the famed Bob. One guy tried to push the Bob and got stuck, ended up tilting it back and pulling behind him. and it was just loaded with beach stuff - no baby in it.

If you find a perfect beach stroller, please tell me :)

strollerqueen
03-30-2011, 03:22 AM
I've never seen a stroller effortlessly glide on the sand (unless it's maybe by the water where it's nicely compacted). They all seem to get dragged/pulled through the soft sand handle first and often tilted on their back wheels. I think the only thing that would have easy push on the soft sand is something with really fat air wheels (like balloon type of wheels for greater surface area), not just regular stroller tires that tend to be on the thinner side and would just sink in. Or maybe I am wrong.. this is just what I observed: people dragging plastic Evenflo/Graco/Peg strollers and even umbrellas through the sand with the same ease as the famed Bob. One guy tried to push the Bob and got stuck, ended up tilting it back and pulling behind him. and it was just loaded with beach stuff - no baby in it.

If you find a perfect beach stroller, please tell me :)
Ah, but you've never seen my 24" fixed wheel Baby Jogger. That baby not only glides across soft sand, it sails! Truly a marvel. :love-retry: Since they are pretty scarce, the next best choice is a fixed 20" wheel. The bigger the better, and fixed performs much better than swivel. :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: