PDA

View Full Version : night terror trigger- what to do?

LarsMal
03-28-2011, 08:42 AM
M had het first night terror last night. It really freaked us out! It happened around midnight and DH and I were still awake at 2AM (while M slept peacefully).

I know they can be linked to certain meds, like Singulair, but she is on Zyrtec. She's been on it before with no issues, so I'm not convinced that's the trigger. I read they can also be related to being overtired ( which is very possible) or something stressful.

M, who is a very friendly and outgoing kid, came home from school the other day with scratches on her legs. They were definitely done by a person, not an object. She told me one of her friends did it b/c M said she didn't want to play a game with her. When I probed her about it she started to back-track and change her story, then she blamed it on a different kid (a "bad" kid) because I said I was going to talk to the teacher. The teacher said there was "no way" one of the kids did it, that M probably did it to herself. They do not look like scratches you would do to yourself! I kind of let it go, but then the night terror happened. M was screaming out and kicking her legs, screaming STOP! Then she sat up, eyes wide open (still asleep) and was saying things like "leave me alone", "I don't like when you do that", and "I won't tell my mommy"- that's the one that really got us.

So...do I talk to her to see if she remembers the dream? Do I try to get the true story about the scratches? Or maybe just ask the teacher to keep a close eye on the girls? Or do I just let it go and keep my Momnmy radar on and keep a close watch on her? I'm just not sure which is the right approach to these things.

hillview
03-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Hummm I'd be concerned as well. Sometimes my kids will tell a pretend friend (or stuffed animal etc) what happened and I over hear. I would tell the teacher about the night terror and her comments. I'd also let her know that she can tell you anything and that if she doesn't want you to go to the teacher you won't -- that way if you find out what happened, you can talk to her about options on what to do.
/hillary