PDA

View Full Version : Chicco cortina? Or other Option?

Swallowbird23
03-28-2011, 10:05 AM
So we bought the Uppa baby Vista but will also need a second stroller. My MIL will be watching our baby at her house while I work. I don't want to be lugging the stroller back and forth all the time.

We are strongly considering the Chicco Keyfit (in the Adventure color so it's gender neutral) It's not the softest fabric but it seems to get great reviews.

MIL is young and healthy, but I worry about the weight of the Vista and her having to lift it in and our of her car (she has the big Lexus SUV, so it's quite high off the ground and I know the Vista isn't the lightest of strollers) However, she is also active so I'm sure she'll be out and about a bit and going for walks in the neighborhood (nice sidewalks) fairly often.

So...Should we just buy the whole Cortina travel system to keep with MIL? Or is there another inexpensive option that would work from birth on up?

My other option is to just suck it up and transfer the Vista on a regular basis in the beginning and then buying MIL and nice umbrella stroller once the baby is old enough for that option? Is a nice umbrella stroller even a decent option for neighborhood walks (as well as errands, etc)

I don't have a specific price point, but would like to stay relatively inexpensive (without being too cheap and having to replace too soon)

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2011, 10:12 AM
It looks like the Cortina is 22lbs, if I am reading the product info right. That's still pretty heavy and would try and find something even more light weight. Hopefully some of the stroller geniuses here have ideas. :)

Beth

lizzywednesday
03-28-2011, 10:16 AM
We have the Chicco Cortina and I hate it. (I love the "Adventure" color, though.)

I don't feel it steers nicely, the wheels are wobbly and it takes up my entire cargo area. (I drive a PT Cruiser.)

It's also fairly heavy. I mean, it's not a honking 28lb beast, but it's heavy and bulky and, honestly, if I had it to do over again, I'd just get an umbrella stroller with a full recline and be done with it.

But, DH fell in love with the Cortina after seeing another college pal's 6'6" DH pushing it around (DH is 6'4") and he put it on our registry.

I am not petite (I'm 5'8") so it's nice to have a stroller that doesn't assume I'm 5'4", but, HOLY COW do I despise this stroller!!!

Go with the KeyFit seat (it's great, though heavy) but figure out another stroller.

Edensmum
03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I just got a Zooper Waltz and I really like it. It says it's 20lbs but it's not a heavy stroller and very compact. I have others that same 21lbs and they are much heavier IMO. I think the Zooper does all that the Chicco does and has an AWESOME canopy. It will take the carseat, and comes with great accessories included. You can get them from previous years for a pretty good deal.

Multimama
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
As usually, throwing in my vote for the First Years Indigo as the inexpensive can-be-used-from-birth and works with the Keyfit stroller of choice. For me, having the parent facing option with a newborn is non-negotiable and the Indigo is the best budget reversible out there.

mariza
03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
How about the Indigo? It seems to get a good amount of love here for a "cheapie stroller". If I had a new baby now, it;s probably what I would get for me, so I think it's perfect for an in-law stroller.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Indigo-Stroller-Urban/dp/B002WB2GL6

jlynn32
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
As usually, throwing in my vote for the First Years Indigo as the inexpensive can-be-used-from-birth and works with the Keyfit stroller of choice. For me, having the parent facing option with a newborn is non-negotiable and the Indigo is the best budget reversible out there.

:yeahthat:

We bought the Cortina and hated it!!!! Loved the carseat though. We then bought the Inidgo and LOVED it!! I had bought a baby trend snap and go and did love that, but the carseat option on the Indigo is awesome. I felt it was an even better fit for our key fit then the snap and go! I vote Indigo!!

Jelly Bean
03-28-2011, 12:06 PM
For an all-around great stroller for MIL, the BJCM can't be beat! It's 16 lbs, has an easy fold (my parents could never get the hang of any other stroller I use!), huge sunshade, fine for indoors and out...my mom watches DD and so that's what we bought for her. My best friend's MIL watches their DD and she has the BJCM too. FWIW, both my best friend and I have Vistas and would not want to tote it back and forth.

Kaylee31
03-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I second the BJCM-- light, easy fold, huge canopy, flat recline, can take a carseat. I had the Indigo too, and gave it to my mom once DS no longer wanted to face me; and she uses it occasionally. I do love the parent-facing feature on the Indigo, and plan on using it for my next DC. It's a good stroller for the money, but not one I would really use once my DC was past 18 months or so. Overall, the BJCM is nicer and has a better push outdoors.
From what I've heard, the Cortina is one of the best of the travel system strollers...but that's not saying much, considering...:p

lyt202
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
We have both a BJCM and the Indigo and if the sidewalks are fine I would recommend the BJCM over the Indigo. The 2011 has the board and upright straps so should solve my main issue with the BJCM, which is the slumpiness of the seat. The parent facing feature of the Indigo is great but it is heavy and too similar to the Vista. Plus, it is a tough push when the kids starting getting heavier.

Swallowbird23
03-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Well, sounds like the BJCM is a fairly good option. Does it lay flat enough for a newborn without the carseat attachment? I went to the BJ website and I think I read it that it did but please correct me if I am wrong.

We did test the BJCM in the store recently and were happy with it, so we'll check it out again. I'll also try to find the Indigo to try out. I haven't paid attention it that one so I'm not sure where it is carried in store around here. I'll keep my eyes out though.

Thanks!

lyt202
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
The BJCM lies flat enough to use with a newborn although I would recommend adding a snuzzler to make it cozier.

poohbear
03-28-2011, 08:39 PM

:yeahthat: I have a cortina and dont' love it. The indigo is cheaper and cooler. Or just get a snap n go that will accomodate a Chicco (the baby trend does - we have one), and then get a used P3 or something when you no longer need the carseat... I would still recommend the indigo over either of those options.

ashleybama24
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
My parents have great streets and any stroller does well in their neighborhood. My mom also has the big Lexus SUV (it does lower though when it is parked) and had no problems getting a variety of strollers in and out of their car. Granted they can't figure out how to fold them half the time but that is another issue.

I absolutely hated the Cortina...it's heavy, bulky, and doesn't steer well but I love the Keyfit carseat. It's also HUGE when it is folded. I would wait until you go back to work to get a second stroller. You might find by the time your MIL will be watching your child she will be doing more outings (zoo, children's museum, parks) and might need something with better tires. Plus your child will be bigger (3mo? 6mo?) so you won't need to have something that reclines so flat or that needs to accomodate a carseat. Or you might discover that you want to be a stay at home mom and you won't need your MIL to watch your child or have a second stroller.

Penny's Pappa
03-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I guess I'll be the odd one out and say that we really like our Cortina; however, the criticisms here are spot on (though I won't agree with the steering comments -- I think it steers very well). We just don't really see those shortcomings as much of a problem I guess. We both have hatchbacks with lots of cargo room, and 20+lbs really isn't that heavy (perhaps relatively so, sure, but not in the grand scheme of things), so we don't have problems getting it in and out of the cars. If you had a deep trunk, I could see this as a problem though.

My biggest complaints about the Cortina, are that it's very tough to fold/unfold the handle with a baby in your arm, and that the back doesn't come upright enough once you're using it as just a stroller.

As the much more experienced folks here will tell you, I'm sure there are better options out there though.

lovemybean
03-29-2011, 08:13 AM
I have the Cortina. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I think it worked out well for me as the travel system. But it is bulky and I have a small car (Corolla), so it took up my whole trunk. Now that my son is older (16 months) I am looking for something more lightweight.

Carra

poohbear
03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I should add that I didn't "hate" the cortina. It just was a great snap n go, not a great stroller. We eventually replaced it with a BJCM, and a Triumph, and an Albert Thurston, and A Bob, and...

I would go Indigo or BJCM. BJCM reclines flat enough for a newborn. I would get a snuzzler though for it and it would be perfect and will last forever :)