PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Nosefrida?

momm
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII

Is it worth a buy?

Is it of use only during colds? Or can I use it for regular maintenance of my 6mo old's nose? Like daily boogers etc.?

Till when is it of use? i.e. can we use it on toddlers?

Any experienced mommas's tips will be appreciated! I use the rubber bulb thing and it seems cruel now that he's getting a little older

thanks in advance!!

pantrygirl
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
We have a Nose Frida.
We found it more helpful than the ball suction doodad.
It's not pleasant. What I mean is, don't expect your kid to be like the kid on the website all smiles about it.
We used it since our daughter was an infant. She's not keen on it but boy howdy does it get alot of the loose boogies out and quick.
It's only really good for loose and not dry boogies. We remedy the dry boogies with boogie wipes.
My daughter is 2 now and we still use the nose frida although I know many of our fellow parent friends stopped using it around 1 when their kid could swat at it and push it away.
She can blow her nose but sometimes can't get all of it out.
Our daughter isn't keen on it but she knows when she needs it. We'll ask her and she will say no but then after awhile realize that it makes her feel better and has at times actually requested it or brought it to us to use.
What helps with her compliance is that we let her use it (clean of course) on her dolls. She does her doll and then she gives it to us to clean.
She also likes to hold the case. Since she was one, she'll hold the case and take the nose frida apart and put it back together. It's like a toy for her.
Hope this helps. :waving4:

artvandalay
03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes! I have it. Get it!

It works really well for my baby, better than those bulb syringes. What I do if DD has some congestion is squirt some baby saline mist in both nostrils.... wait a minute or two. Then lay her down and use it.

She squirms when I do it and she does not like it BUT I only do it for a few seconds and only when she's sick/congested. After you use it you have to hold the tube in a way so the snot doesn't run back out onto the floor.

I did this over Christmas when we had tons of family over... and my cousins were very curious to watch me using it... they thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen!

We have that same one you linked to from Amazon - and it did not come with a case. It would have been nice if it did

joules
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
We have something similar:
http://www.amazon.com/Nasal-Aspirator-Vacuum-Suction-Pigeon/dp/B0015TM0M6/ref=pd_sim_ba_1

But as PP mentioned, unlike the reviews DS does not love this thing. It's a real fight to try and use it - it's a 2 person job since you need 2 hands to work the sucker and the other person holds down the baby. But it works really well - a lot better than the bulb ones. I'm hoping once he gets older and realizes it helps him, he'll be more receptive to it.

If you want to use it for everyday boogers, you'll probably have to use the saline first, pinch the nose a few times to get everything going wet, and then use the sucker.

For normal everyday dry boogers, we use this when DS is asleep:
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Cleaning-Tweezers-Pigeon-Japan/dp/B000FI0HUU/ref=pd_sim_ba_5

smiles33
03-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Wow, joules, those tweezers are crazy! I would be so paranoid that I'd poke DD when she shifted. :)

We also have Nosefrida (with the case) but only use it when DDs are super sick (meaning non-stop runny noses) and too young to blow their own noses. They both hate it and it just isn't worth the fight to use more regularly.

joules
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
We remedy the dry boogies with boogie wipes.

How do the boogie wipes work? Do you twist it up to reach inside the nose?

Wow, joules, those tweezers are crazy! I would be so paranoid that I'd poke DD when she shifted. :)

No accidents yet. *Knock on wood*. I've actually tested it out by trying to poke myself with it. haha. It didn't hurt, but then again it's not like I jammed it up my nose. I don't go too far into his nose with it.

After I purchased it, I remember that my parents had something similar when my sister was little...but it was made of metal. I asked them about it and it turns out it was a bobby pin that my dad twisted to make it work like a tweezer. They never had any accidents with that either.

artvandalay
03-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I've never used them, but I think boogie wipes are wipes that have saline in them.

fedoragirl
03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I just got it after recommendations here. I really like that it gets all the gunk out. I hate using the bulb thing now.
I also spray Saline water in the nose and use it. We have to be super quick about it because DD loves to pull the suctioning part out of my mouth. And I find that I have to use a lot of strength/air to make it work.
Also, I don't know if you're supposed to change the filters after every use. That would get expensive.

barkley1
03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
We use it and like it (us, not DS). He puts up the same amount of fight for it that he does w/ the bulb, and it works so much better so we still use it, and he's 20 months.

We use it when he's having trouble sleeping due to congestion.

We've had it for 6 months, though 2 colds and haven't changed the filter yet. I didn't know you were supposed to every time. Seems like you could just wash it really well and reuse.

I let my husband do the "sucking" b/c he has more lung power than me; I do the holding of flailing arms and legs. LOL

It gets SO much more snot than the bulb thing.

fortato
03-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Boogie Wipes for dry boogs or runny noses, and the "BabyComfyNose" for congestion.

BabyComfyNose is like the Nosefrieda- but you don't need a special filter- you can just use a tissue...
http://babycomfynose.com/

It works wonders... when you juuuuuust can't get the stubborn snoogie out of there!!!!

lmh2402
03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
agree with pretty much everyone else

we've got it. it definitely more effective than the bulb syringe

but DS absolutely loathes it

actually, he is better with it now than he used to be. now i can tell him it will be super quick. and i say "only one time on each side."

we use saline spray first. he actually really likes the saline - he asks for it whenever his nose itches. i think he knows it's helping him.

so, in all - yes, it's effective. but we use it only in cases of horrid congestion b/c it's not worth the agony.

mikala
03-28-2011, 03:02 PM
We have a Nosefrida but I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand it seems to work well and on the other DS hates it with a passion and has been diagnosed with an ear infection after all 4 colds where we've used it.

It seems much more likely to be a correlation than causation but it's happened enough that I'm weary of the NoseFrida and any other device that sucks stuff out of the nose. It makes sense that really snotty nose=high likelihood of an ear infection but even a mild suction like this seems to really hurt.

catsnkid
03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
We have it but I haven't really used it much this year. I fond it good for clearing big goobers that wouldn't come out and getting rid of congestion. DS does not like it.

PGTB
03-28-2011, 04:44 PM
I have it and use it for when DS has running nose type of cold. DS really hates Nosefrida and swats at it, it takes two of us to use it and it's only effective when the stuff is really loose and is coming down. but it works well for it. It doesn't work much better IMO than a bulb syringe for drier type of boogers, because syringe is very fast to use and easier than Nosefrida on a really strong wiggly baby.

For dry boogers I just moisten a regular q-tip with saline or water and gently try to remove them when they are visible and close to the surface. I don't push it inside to try to take everything out, I just leave it or put saline in and wait for this to come out.

YouAreTheFocus
03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Husband & I love the Nosefrida. Our baby, not so much. We do a couple sprays of saline in each nostril, wait a couple minutes, then suck everything out w/ the Nosfrida. It is a 2 person job b/c he fights it like crazy! We tried a few different bulbs, none worked well for us.

WatchingThemGrow
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
We use it and usually take it on vacation with us. Forgot to pack it, as we've been using it with clogged up DS2 all week. And...the whole drive he was clogged, stuck together, and highly annoyed. Breathing/snoring, etc. made him sound like a mess. Poor guy.

momm
03-29-2011, 07:32 AM
great! thank you all for the reviews! Who knew one day I'd be saying "snot sucker" without batting an eyelid