PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in new cookware? Any good brands to buy?

jess_g
03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
We need some new cookware for everyday cooking. I have not bought any in a long time. Any ideas on what to look for and what brands are best? We don't want to spend a lot but will pay for quality.

ETA: I would prefer non stick and it must go in the dishwasher.

Thanks, Jessica.

smiles33
03-28-2011, 12:11 PM
I hand-wash all of our cookware, but I just read on All-Clad's website that their Stainless and LTD2 lines are dishwasher-safe. They have nonstick frying pans in both lines, though we only have their standard stainless pans and pots. DH switched a few years ago to using a seasoned cast iron frying pan instead of a nonstick fry pan to avoid the chemicals in the nonstick linings.

We have gradually upgraded to several All-Clad pieces because of its great performance (even heating, easy to use/clean, etc.). It's very pricey but I anticipate it should last for decades (as opposed to buying cheaper pans we replace every couple of years).

Have fun shopping!

mackmama
03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I like the Calphalon Unison nonstick cookware from Williams Sonoma.

trcy
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I saw a nice looking Rachel Ray set on QVC Comes in a few different colors
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K125799.desc.Rachael-Ray-10-Piece-Cookware-Set---Yellow

emily
03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure this is the same set as the set in the stores, but I've heard good things about it. The ones in the store felt substantial. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503441&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|56625|55004&N=4047399&Mo=19&pos=1&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=55004&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10598-Cat56625&topnav=

I actually have a Calphalon set. It's fine. I, too, am in the process of switching my SS to All Clad as I find good deals.

I've read that even if it says dishwasher safe, it's generally not a good idea to put it in the dishwasher. It just won't last as long.

Binkandabee
03-28-2011, 12:56 PM
We have this cuisinart set and it's great, especially for the price. I have put every single piece in the dishwasher (a piece goes in at least daily) and have had no problems. I've had the set for 5 years now. I think they are a perfect weight, they heat evenly...it's just a really, really great set!

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-77-10-Stainless-Steel-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008CM68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301331098&sr=8-2

Jeanne
03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I have AmericaCraft all stainless cookware and I LOVE it. I'm so sorry I waited to make this investment so late in life. I should have done this 20 years ago. It's waterless cookware and even though I despise cooking in general, I love to use this stuff. Everything cooks super fast and tastes so much better. Worth.every.penny.

khalloc
03-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Love my All-Clad. Its pricey, but worth it.

american_mama
03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
>> It's waterless cookware

What does that mean?

To the OP, I just bought new cookware in the fall. The first thing for you to decide is how much you want to spend since prices vary hugely, from $50ish to $600 and up for similar sets. You can also buy individual pieces, which many here recommend, but I didn't like that because I needed lots of new pans so a set made more sense.

Pots and pans come in three types, to my knowledge: all-clad (sometimes call tri-ply), plain old stainless steel, and non-stick. All of them have a sandwich of stainless steel/aluminum/stainless steel on the bottom, and the all-clad is made of that same sandwiching on the sides, for supposedly quicker heat transfer and more even cooking. The all-clad/tri-ply style is supposed to be the best and is the most expensive, with the All-Clad brand being the most expensive within that category. I never looked at non-stick, but I don't think the non-stick options come with the tri-ply option. Oh, and I think non-stick comes in two varieties: traditional with that teflon-like coating and anodized aluminum. I think the anodized aluminum is made very differently and is better about not scratching or flaking.

The brands I was most interested in were Calphalon (Bed Bath and Beyond carries lots of their lines) and Tramontina (Brazilian brand sold at Tuesdasy Morning and Walmart online or in store). These were accessible and generally well-recommended. Most department stores have at least one brand, and most celebrity chef's have a brand. Aside from what I just described above, good luck figuring out the differences among them. I went by price, comfort in my hand, reputation, and being able to buy/try in real life.

I ended up with a set of tri-ply at Sears, Kenmore brand. I am becoming disillusioned with it since it stains. I have posted about my research several times here, so you can do a search for it.

goldenpig
03-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a stainless All-Clad set that I bought almost 10 years ago with an amazing Gold Box deal (about 50% off and a free tool set!)--it's still in great shape. Definitely go with stainless if you are going to buy pricey pots, because all nonstick needs to be replaced after a few years.

Over the past year I've slowly been replacing my old nonstick cookware because the surfaces were wearing away/chipping and it made me really nervous. I wanted to get nonstick pots that are "greener" and healthier.
First I bought a cast iron skillet from Lodge:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1301337563&sr=1-1
It's OK and very cheap, but pretty heavy and you have to season it and can't wash it with soap or in the dishwasher. And it's not super non-stick so not good for things like eggs.
Then I bought a Calphalon Green Gourmet Wok which is a "green" nonstick with a ceramic surface (safer than nonstick if it chips because it has no PFOA/PFTEs):
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GreenGourmet-Anodized-Eco-Friendly-Nonstick/dp/B0026MS9KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301337373&sr=8-1
I've had it for half a year and it's held up really well so far. I usually hand wash though since it's so large.
Then recently I bought a 10 inch nonstick skillet and saucepan from Bialetti Aeternum:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00448EUA0/sr=1-3/qid=1301339578/ref=pop?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1301339578&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Aeternum-2-Quart-Covered-Sauce/dp/B0046RDVRM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1301339521&sr=8-3
I just got these but so far I LOVE them! They also have a ceramic surface which is healthier, and they're a pretty red and white color. I don't remember if these are dishwasher safe or not but it's easy to hand wash since it's nonstick. They also have a covered wok-type pan but I already have the Calphalon.
Hope this helps!

JoyNChrist
03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't own these, but my close friend received some of the Calphalon "Green" cookware at her recent wedding shower, and she says it's awesome. When we get around to upgrading ours, I'm going to look into that.