PDA

View Full Version : Couch to 5K support group thread

Pages : [1] 2

jenfromnj
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Judging from the C25K thread in the Lounge, there are at least a few other people who are about to start this program, and a couple mentioned interest in a "support group" of sorts. It seems like a great way to keep each other motivated, share information we find, and just generally make it a bit more fun (I wish I was one of those people who thinks exercise is so much fun, but alas, I'm not).

I am hoping to start the program this week or next--hoping the weather here in NJ gets a bit better, since I really would like to try running outside. I am pretty out of shape at the moment, but have really gotten into running in the past and found success with it.

I'll definitely be using the podcasts in one version or another--any feedback on which ones are best would be appreciated!

Feel free to contribute any thoughts, info, whatever strikes you!

artvandalay
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Woot!:boogie:

I'll start next week. I need a week to prepare myself mentally :hysterical:

WolfpackMom
03-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Im down for giving it a try. Just got my new Bob and have been walking almost daily with it, no reason why I cant get back into running. :)

willow33
03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm on Week 6!! I've been using a Couch to 5K app on my iphone (green icon one) that allows me to use my own music which I love! I tried a few other podcasts the first couple of weeks, but I hated the music. I'm doing it on my treadmill while my DD naps. I'm also doing it every other day instead of only 3 days/week, but may have to repeat some of these later weeks...it gets tough!! I'm so proud of myself for sticking with it though! Good luck to those that are starting and feel free to ask me any questions.

artvandalay
03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm on Week 6!! I've been using a Couch to 5K app on my iphone (green icon one) that allows me to use my own music which I love! I tried a few other podcasts the first couple of weeks, but I hated the music. I'm doing it on my treadmill while my DD naps. I'm also doing it every other day instead of only 3 days/week, but may have to repeat some of these later weeks...it gets tough!! I'm so proud of myself for sticking with it though! Good luck to those that are starting and feel free to ask me any questions.

Good for you for doing it every other day :thumbsup:. That's awesome. I'm planning on doing it on the treadmill while DD naps as well. I might venture outside occasionally. It's still pretty chilly here in the Midwest but hoping soon it warms up.

JoyNChrist
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm gonna start next Tuesday! (Gotta get a pair of running shoes.) I have the iPhone app already (the one with the green icon like willow).

I'm excited! Definitely gonna be running outside - it's already well into the 70's here. :)

Simon
03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Yay for C25K :yay:

I skimmed the other thread in the lounge too fast and didn't see that you had already moved over here.

I know I am new to the board, but I am so excited to not be starting all alone this time. I am going to try for an every other day schedule, though that will be tough.

katydid1971
03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
OK I'm in for a try. Do we have a start date. It would be good for me if I HAD to start on a certain date (week) to be part of the group, I am really good at putting stuff like this off :innocent:

hellokitty
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Woot!:boogie:

I'll start next week. I need a week to prepare myself mentally :hysterical:

I am with you. I started last wk, but the weather got cold again. So, I am going to re-start again when it warms up, which hopefully will be this wknd.

MWmom
03-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I've been toying with the idea of starting the program again. I did it b/f DD about 3 yrs ago. Although I'm not a runner I it went well. I did repeat or extend weeks as needed. I'll start next week too.
{now that I said it I have to do it right? :p }

lkarp
03-28-2011, 10:40 PM
I started last week and am doing okay, but could definitely use support! The running part for me is pretty difficult, but once I've finished and caught my breath I feel really energetic. I don't have a treadmill, so am running laps around my backyard (It's about the size of an indoor track). The kids are napping and playing while I do my run, so it's working for us. I hope to make it out of the yard during the weekend while DH is home.

minnie-zb
03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I want to participate. I could really use the moral support and the kick in the tush on the days I'm being a slug. I'm much closer to a slug vs. a sleek cheetah. :)

artvandalay
03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
OK I'm in for a try. Do we have a start date. It would be good for me if I HAD to start on a certain date (week) to be part of the group, I am really good at putting stuff like this off :innocent:

How about this weekend (April 2nd) as a start date for everyone who has not started yet - and also for everyone who fell off the wagon :D

I downloaded the Chubby Jones podcast onto my phone. I listened to the one without music and the narrator had the computerized (think Stephen Hawking) voice...so I think I'll try Chubby first.

BigDog
03-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Started day 1, week 1, today. It sucked. But mind you, I AM NOT A RUNNER! I've always been a great walker though! My new running shoes felt good, but the junk in the trunk bouncing around did not. However, I am motivated to continue! Will keep you posted! BTW, I'm using the Get Running iPhone app which works great.

jenfromnj
03-30-2011, 05:14 PM
How about this weekend (April 2nd) as a start date for everyone who has not started yet - and also for everyone who fell off the wagon :D

I think this is a good idea! Let's make this coming week "Week 1", and aim to get the 3 workouts for Week 1 in sometime between this weekend and next weekend. Does that work for everyone?

This is probably going to be ugly for my out of shape self, but I think knowing that others are suffering along with me will help. :)

artvandalay
03-30-2011, 05:28 PM
GUESS WHAT? I started it!! And I just said I would start next week. I don't think I will get a chance to do it again until Saturday. I need to figure out how to log this into MyFitnessPal.

The baby was napping and I just grabbed my phone and went for it. It wasn't bad at all... in fact, using the podcast music it was fun! I used the Chubby Jones podcast that was recommended here and I LOVE the music on it! Especially the song "Sex Bomb". I was shaking my rear during the walking parts and my son was looking at me like WTH who is this woman?:hysterical:

I used the treadmill... and I think it's going to take some practice to figure out what what settings I should be using. I ran at a 5.0 and walked at 4.2. I didn't use any incline.

I need to find some earbuds that stay in my ears and oh yeah... i should probably invest in a couple of new sports bras...

MWmom
03-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Sounds good. My plan is to buy the shoes this week & start running by Monday.
What podcasts or apps are you all planning on using? I like the idea of a voice over my music. But am open to ideas. Free would be my preference. Oh... I have Android so the green icon - get running I think- is out.

JoyNChrist
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I think this is a good idea! Let's make this coming week "Week 1", and aim to get the 3 workouts for Week 1 in sometime between this weekend and next weekend. Does that work for everyone?

This is probably going to be ugly for my out of shape self, but I think knowing that others are suffering along with me will help. :)

This is perfect! I'm going to get running shoes this weekend. :)

clc053103
03-31-2011, 08:41 AM
:cheerleader1:I completed this program in the fall/winter, so I wanted to chime in as a cheerleader!

I am not a runner, I am slow and awkward and all that. So I can say with confidence, that if I can do it, YOU can do it too!!!!!! Just stick with the program, and don't give up. Even if you have a day where you just aren't feeling it, get back out there two days later you could feel totally different.

One of the tools I used was mapmyrun.com, to map out routes in my area and track my mileage. Also, once you've give it a week or two and are committed to the program, go get fitted for a nice pair of runnign shoes. It will help you immensely, and give you a reason to stick with the program, as you have financially invested in it!

I'll be checking back in to see how you are all doing!

jenfromnj
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
:cheerleader1:I completed this program in the fall/winter, so I wanted to chime in as a cheerleader!

I am not a runner, I am slow and awkward and all that. So I can say with confidence, that if I can do it, YOU can do it too!!!!!! Just stick with the program, and don't give up. Even if you have a day where you just aren't feeling it, get back out there two days later you could feel totally different.

One of the tools I used was mapmyrun.com, to map out routes in my area and track my mileage. Also, once you've give it a week or two and are committed to the program, go get fitted for a nice pair of runnign shoes. It will help you immensely, and give you a reason to stick with the program, as you have financially invested in it!

I'll be checking back in to see how you are all doing!

Thanks for sharing your experience, clc! Please do check in, it will be nice to have someone who's BTDT around for moral support!

WolfpackMom
03-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Im planning to start on Sunday...and DH is planning on joining me! Woot!

jenfromnj
03-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Started day 1, week 1, today. It sucked. But mind you, I AM NOT A RUNNER! I've always been a great walker though! My new running shoes felt good, but the junk in the trunk bouncing around did not. However, I am motivated to continue! Will keep you posted! BTW, I'm using the Get Running iPhone app which works great.

GUESS WHAT? I started it!! And I just said I would start next week. I don't think I will get a chance to do it again until Saturday. I need to figure out how to log this into MyFitnessPal.

The baby was napping and I just grabbed my phone and went for it. It wasn't bad at all... in fact, using the podcast music it was fun! I used the Chubby Jones podcast that was recommended here and I LOVE the music on it! Especially the song "Sex Bomb". I was shaking my rear during the walking parts and my son was looking at me like WTH who is this woman?:hysterical:

I used the treadmill... and I think it's going to take some practice to figure out what what settings I should be using. I ran at a 5.0 and walked at 4.2. I didn't use any incline.

I need to find some earbuds that stay in my ears and oh yeah... i should probably invest in a couple of new sports bras...

I'm jealous that both of you got the first session out of the way! I am starting on Saturday, I need a couple of days to mentally prepare myself ;).

BigDog, did you use a treadmill or run outside? I am going to try outside, although I am going to go out super early in the morning, my neighbors do NOT need to see the sorry sight of me plodding along, huffing and puffing.

jenfromnj
03-31-2011, 09:08 AM

It's awesome that your DH is doing this along with you! I mentioned it to my husband, and his response was "You know I don't run unless I'm being chased." Sigh.

artvandalay
03-31-2011, 09:15 AM

:cheerleader1: Come on everyone... JOIN US

So I sounded kinda cocky yesterday. Told DH.... "that was kind of easy"...

Well, this morning I am sore! haha. I guess I deserve it!

WolfpackMom
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
It's awesome that your DH is doing this along with you! I mentioned it to my husband, and his response was "You know I don't run unless I'm being chased." Sigh.

:hysterical: His response is kind of funny.

I told DH I was doing it and he actually asked if he could do it with me. Which throws off my game a little because I kind of like exercising alone, lol, and if our pod casts are off from eachother then we will be running/walking at different times. But whatever, he needs to exercise so I'll deal!

artvandalay
03-31-2011, 09:24 AM

:hysterical:

H is a runner... and I should mention he is very competitive.... so if he finds out I am running a 5K this summer he's going to want to do it, too.... mostly so he can gloat about his time

willow33
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
My DH is a runner too and he keeps asking me when we are going to do our 5K together. The thought totally intimidates me. DH is the kind of guy that can not run for weeks and then just go out and do 8 miles no problem. I feel silly telling him that I just ran 10 minutes straight and how proud of myself I am :) Plus he runs MUCH faster than me!!

Good job everyone!!

BigDog
03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
BigDog, did you use a treadmill or run outside? I am going to try outside, although I am going to go out super early in the morning, my neighbors do NOT need to see the sorry sight of me plodding along, huffing and puffing.

Well, I would've preferred doing it in the isolation of my own house, but we don't have a treadmill, so I'm forced to go outside. I, too, didn't want my neighbors chuckling at the sight of me so I drove to a park close by that has a 3mi walking path. I was on my way to Walmart anyhow which is right near the park and I thought to myself "to hell with it! let me go do this thing!", and that's how it started! Day 2 will be tomorrow but we're supposed to get crappy weather here so I think I might have to postpone it until Saturday. The one thing I need to fix though is my attire. I had on yoga pants, a short sleeve tshirt and a hoodie. It was about 45 degrees here yesterday so it was chilly when I started walking, but then I quickly got hot and sweaty. I did some research last night on running attire and I think I'm going to pick up a pair of knee-length running leggings and a few long sleeve moisture wick Ts to wear. If anyone has any recommendations on good but inexpensive attire, please let me know! I was planning on seeing what Target has in their C9 line.

artvandalay
04-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Weekends here! Let's get moving people!

We want to look good in our shorts.... summer is coming:D

hellokitty
04-02-2011, 01:40 PM
It's the mid-40's here today (woke up to a ton of snow), but as soon as DH gets back with the older kids from cub scouts, I'm going to do wk 1 again. I am going to try chubby jones this time, b/c I didn't like the robotic music of the other podcast I tried last time.

hellokitty
04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm such a wimp. Scratch what I just said above, I was about to get dressed and now it is FLURRYING outside. I do not enjoy running, I am not going to torture myself by running in the snow. And since DS3 refuses to take a nap, I was going to just take my jogger, but if it's snowing, then it must be colder outside than I originally thought.

jenfromnj
04-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Week 1, Day 1 down. I started out thinking 'oh, this is going to be easy', but after a couple of running intervals, I was singing a different tune. I'm more out of shape than I thought, and I'd like to think the gusty, cold wind outside didn't help matters, either.

But at least it's done--I think I am going to take a day or 2 to rest before trying Day 2. I'm pretty disgusted with how out of shape I am at the moment, but there's only one way that's going to change, right?

hellokitty
04-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I was able to restart C25K today, wk 1, day 1. It went fine for me. I didn't have trouble doing it, but then I am not the type of person who enjoys running, even though I run a lot in stroller class, that's why I joined the class, to force myself to exercise. The weather was still really cold today, but I just basically forced myself to go out and do it while I had a chance to (DH able to watch kiddos).

Is anyone else doing C25K, plus their regular workout routine as well? I think I am kind of crazy, but the 5K I want to do is coming up next month, so I don't have much time and figure I may as well still do stroller class 2x a wk, zumba 1x a wk, plus C25K. I am by no means an exercise junkie, but feel like I have gained momentum in the workout dept and want to keep riding that momentum while I can.

artvandalay
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Way to go hellokitty and jenfromnj!

I did week 1, day 2 yesterday on treadmill. Hellokitty... I haven't exercised since my baby was born. I have been struggling with energy, finding time, and I have a baby who is currently teething and waking up a bunch throughout the night. This is pretty much the first week I've been exercising.

Other than the C25K, I might occasionally do a 30 Day Shred workout... I"ve also got Wii Fit and Wii Fit Active, but I haven't played around with it much yet. I'm also thinking of doing stroller strides once a week. I'm not a workout junkie, either, but I really want to get back into the groove and I think it's time.

I've also joined MyFitnessPal...I've been logging in my daily exercise along with what I"m eating. If anyone wants to join (it's free) and add me as a friend that would be cool... I could use more friends on there!:love-retry:

hellokitty
04-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Art, I hear you. DS3 was up last night btwn 1-3:30am and would not go back to sleep. I am basically just in a chronic state of being tired all of the time. With all the thyroid threads here, I never know whether it's just the mere fact that I have 3 kids and a child who still doesn't STTN that is the problem or maybe I DO have thyroid issues. I'm glad to hear that there is someone else just basically wanting to get back into a good workout routine. I was in a good one after the school yr started and then the damn flu season hit and omg, it's been so hard since Dec-March to exercise the way I wanted to, d/t excessive snow days and either the kids or myself being sick. I just feel as if every time I get into a good routine, something comes along and ruins it. Right now I'm trying really hard to exercise more, but now I feel like other things have fallen to the side (house is a mess and my toddler is clingy and has sep anxiety when I exercise w/o him). It's so hard for me to find a balance.

WTG Art and Jen!

BigDog
04-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Today is Day 3, Week 1 for me. I know this sounds sad, but I'm thinking I might need to repeat week 1! The good thing is that I bought myself some new workout clothes and it's motivating me to get out there.

minnie-zb
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Today is Day 3, Week 1 for me. I know this sounds sad, but I'm thinking I might need to repeat week 1! The good thing is that I bought myself some new workout clothes and it's motivating me to get out there.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I have to go get my shoes tomorrow. I just downloaded the program for my touch and hopefully I can start on Wednesday.

hellokitty
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM

It's ok to repeat. I've read on the C25K forums that it took someone 5 mo to get through the program. If you need to go at a slower pace, that's fine. YOu know your body best.

jenfromnj
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
It's ok to repeat. I've read on the C25K forums that it took someone 5 mo to get through the program. If you need to go at a slower pace, that's fine. YOu know your body best.

Definitely this. I am trying to take the approach (with this program as well as WW, which I am currently following also) that slow and steady wins the race. I've previously tried to do too much too soon (or diet super strictly and deny myself way too much) and ended up burning out or just getting discouraged.

I think it's much better to build up at a sustainable pace--I am thinking I will be doing the same thing, but if that means I end up finishing the program as opposed to dropping out or getting injured, then I think that's much better long-term.

artvandalay
04-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Did week 1, day 3 today. For some reason, I was huffing and puffing. This one was harder than the other two. Only thing I can think of is that I put the incline at 1% because that is supposed to mimic outdoor running, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I walked slower - 3.8 and ran at 5.1. I may repeat a session of week one before moving to week 2

WolfpackMom
04-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Ok ladies I got off my lazy butt today and started. My analysis:

1. Pushing a stroller uphill into the wind is tough! We have a lot of small hills in our neighborhood and we had a HUGE storm this morning that has made for a very windy day.
2. Pollen sucks
3. DS is not a fan of the running parts. Every time I switched to running for the first 20 minutes he would scream and squirm. He gave up by the last ten minutes. The poor kid was sneezing and sniffling the whole time too, apparently he has a pollen allergy as well.
4. Oh my carp I am in poor shape.

Overall, it was little tough for me. Instead of 3 x a week I am aiming for every other day. I am going to go again tomorrow since I had planned to start Monday and then do every other day from there. DS is in daycare MWF so tomorrow I will use my lunch break (work from home) and give it a go not pushing DS and see what kind of difference it makes. I want to go take the car and see how far I really went later on, but Im afraid Ill be disappointed to see it wasnt as far as it felt and Im just a slow runner lol.

ETA: Look I was so messed up after running I just had to edit my post for like 5 typos that I saw after seeing MWmom quoted my sentence that was missing a word...lol anyways, feeling fine now. Might be sore tomorrow but I'm hanging tough like NKOTB!!

MWmom
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
4. Oh my carp I am poor shape. My thoughts exactly!! :hysterical: Off and on I had a stitch in my side and it hurt to breathe.

I did my 1st workout yesterday originally planning on going to a beginner yoga class afterwards. DH didn't think it was a good idea. Not even half way into the work out I had to agree lol. Right now I can do one or the other. The muscles in my legs were sore immediately. Last time I did this program I repeated days/weeks as needed. It worked well & I will do the same this time.

I used Runkeeper, C25k & NPR for Android. I ended up with the paid version of c25k so there is an option of turning on music. The Runkeeper is nice b/c it tracks my path as well as time/speed/etc. For this run I accidentally had the Runkeeper prompts on - it got annoying. The run was really enjoyable b/c I almost never catch Fresh Air anymore. I used to listen to it on my way home from work. It was nice to listen to the stories & just have the reminders when an interval began.

I'm thankful to have run across this group. I really needed something to kick my tush & get me started. Thanks for the motivation! :)

artvandalay
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Wolfpackmom...that stinks about the pollen/allergies. I can see how that would make it pretty hard to run.

Well, I just ran/walked. I repeated one (week 1) session today.... so i've completed 4 week one sessions so far. Was much easier than the other day.

I am planning on starting week 2 Friday or Saturday.

JoyNChrist
04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I started today! We all caught the stomach virus from hell over the weekend, so I was a little worried that I'd be out of commission this week, but I'm feeling great and today could not possibly be more gorgeous, so I took that as a sign. ;)

My thoughts:

- Wasn't too tough today. I got a little bit weezy toward the end though, so I'm sure it's going to get difficult quick.

- I'm using the paid iPhone app (with the green icon) and I really need to get one of those armband things to strap my iPhone into. I also need to download some running tunes.

In addition to C25K, I'm trying to up my water intake and have vowed to stay away from the donut shop (I go almost every morning after I drop DS1 at preschool...bad, bad mommy).

WolfpackMom
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
- I'm using the paid iPhone app (with the green icon) and I really need to get one of those armband things to strap my iPhone into. I also need to download some running tunes.

In addition to C25K, I'm trying to up my water intake and have vowed to stay away from the donut shop (I go almost every morning after I drop DS1 at preschool...bad, bad mommy).

I am using the same ap and I had the same thought about the armband. I am planning to go get one today before getting DS from daycare. I definitely need some more running music as well to pump me up.

I increased the water intake as well after getting back yesterday desperately thirsty. I filled up my Nalgene bottle yesterday and rank it all after the run and today I filled it up and am drinking some before I head out, I definitely need to work on that!

I did not stop myself from having ice cream yesterday though.... :P So I can't help you on the doughnut front!

jenfromnj
04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Did week 1, day 3 today. For some reason, I was huffing and puffing. This one was harder than the other two. Only thing I can think of is that I put the incline at 1% because that is supposed to mimic outdoor running, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I walked slower - 3.8 and ran at 5.1. I may repeat a session of week one before moving to week 2

Art, I think the incline definitely makes it a lot harder! I am trying to reroute myself to go only on really flat streets (or even slightly downhill for now) because I initially picked the most direct route, and it's only a slight incline but I think it's part of the reason why it seemed so hard.

Ok ladies I got off my lazy butt today and started. My analysis:

1. Pushing a stroller uphill into the wind is tough! We have a lot of small hills in our neighborhood and we had a HUGE storm this morning that has made for a very windy day.
2. Pollen sucks
3. DS is not a fan of the running parts. Every time I switched to running for the first 20 minutes he would scream and squirm. He gave up by the last ten minutes. The poor kid was sneezing and sniffling the whole time too, apparently he has a pollen allergy as well.
4. Oh my carp I am in poor shape.

Might be sore tomorrow but I'm hanging tough like NKOTB!!

OK, WolfpackMom, the bolded part is awesome. And WTG--I can't even imagine trying this pushing a jogging stroller uphill into the wind. I can barely get myself slightly uphill in a gentle breeze while "running" (and I use that term very loosely), so my hat is off to you.

My thoughts exactly!! :hysterical: Off and on I had a stitch in my side and it hurt to breathe.

I did my 1st workout yesterday originally planning on going to a beginner yoga class afterwards. DH didn't think it was a good idea. Not even half way into the work out I had to agree lol. Right now I can do one or the other. The muscles in my legs were sore immediately. Last time I did this program I repeated days/weeks as needed. It worked well & I will do the same this time.

MWMom, I am definitely just sticking with C25K for now, too. I originally thought I'd try to use our elliptical on alternate days, but there's just no way.

I started today! We all caught the stomach virus from hell over the weekend, so I was a little worried that I'd be out of commission this week, but I'm feeling great and today could not possibly be more gorgeous, so I took that as a sign. ;)

My thoughts:

- Wasn't too tough today. I got a little bit weezy toward the end though, so I'm sure it's going to get difficult quick.

WTG for getting started! But now I want a donut :(. If you find a good iPhone armband, please share the rec--I was looking at them online, but I have no idea which ones are the "good" ones. Right now I am just holding it, but I am trying to set up little rewards for myself for sticking with the program, and this seems like a good one.

artvandalay
04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Jen - my H has a really nice armband one - holds his ID and his phone. I'll get the name of it tonite

artvandalay
04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
BigDog - what kind of workout clothes did you end up getting - I think I read you were going to Target? Do you like what you got? What'd ya get?

hannah
04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I started yesterday with 2 friends. We met a a park while the kiddos were at school. Today my shins are killing me. I hope I can do day 2 tomorrow. Perhaps I need new running shoes?!

I have an iphone with the green app. I didn't use it yesterday because another gal had hers along. I ordered this armband off of amazon to use when I go out by myself.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZZKL88

I have also started using the lose it app to tracj my food intake. So far I am remembering to log in my foods. I am not really sure though what to do about home made dinners that I don't know the calorie counts for. At least my breakfast/lunch foods are accurate.

Great job everyone!

jenfromnj
04-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Jen - my H has a really nice armband one - holds his ID and his phone. I'll get the name of it tonite

Thanks! I guess it's probably a good idea to keep ID with me too, just in case I wipe out (or pass out), people will be able to identify me as something more than that pale, chubby stranger who was plodding along pretending to jog. I'll try to resist the urge to tuck a dollar in there for when I pass the bakery.

BigDog
04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Well, I completed day 1 of week 2 today!! And I'm feeling pretty good, which is shocking to me because I had a serious butt-kicking during week 1, and I was pretty sure that I would be repeating week 1. Instead I decided to just go with week 2 and see what happened... and it was not that bad! Perhaps part of it was because there were only 6 running intervals as opposed to 8, so psychologically it sounded better to me. The one thing that drives me batty with the app that I'm using (Get Running for iPhone) is the darn lady telling me "you have only 45 seconds left in this running interval...", and then "just 15 more seconds..." AAAH! I almost wish she wouldn't pipe in until the entire running interval is over because hearing her voice telling me I have so many seconds left just gets me anxious for it to be over already! Anyhoo...

BigDog - what kind of workout clothes did you end up getting - I think I read you were going to Target? Do you like what you got? What'd ya get?

Art, I picked up a few things at Target, Walmart, Sports Authority, Kohls & Lands End... all on sale or clearance. But after trying out a few things, I definitely think the Target C9 stuff is the best bang for your buck.

At Target I got this tank (in florescent chartreuse!) & zip up hoodie, both from the clearance rack:
http://www.target.com/C9-Champion-V-Neck-Athletic-Tank/dp/B004EIWFJS/ref=br_1_13?ie=UTF8&id=C9%20Champion%20V-Neck%20Athletic%20Tank&node=2336088011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid5&searchPage=1&sr=1-13&qid=1302138422&rh=style_name%3ATank&searchBinNameList=style_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccolla r_style-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1
http://www.target.com/C9-Champion-Yoga-Athletic-Jacket-Boardwalk/dp/B0041PQKUE/ref=br_1_29?ie=UTF8&id=C9%20Champion%20Yoga%20Athletic%20Jacket-Boardwalk&node=2336088011&searchSize=30&searchView=grid5&searchPage=1&sr=1-29&qid=1302138703&rh=style_name%3ATank|target_com_brand-bin%3AC9%20by%20Champion|style_name%3AAthletic%20J acket&searchBinNameList=style_name%2Csleeve_type%2Ccolla r_style-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Clifestyle-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

From Kohls I got a few of these Fila tshirts:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/athleticapparel/brandswomen/filasport/tops/PRD~756937/FILA+SPORT+Ellipse+Geometric+Tee.jsp
And a jacket (on super clearance) similar to this but a half-zip pullover:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/athleticapparel/brandswomen/filasport/jacketsfleece/PRD~720918/FILA+SPORT+Race+Day+Performance+Jacket.jsp

From Walmart I got these pants & capris:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Dri-More-Capri-Leggings/15066168
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Leggings/10927609
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Dri-More-Bootcut-Pants/13988879

From Lands End I got these shorts (with an additional 30% off):
http://www.landsend.com/pp/PerformanceSportShorts~209940_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_Overstocks-_-Women-_-Activewear&origin=index

And from Sports Authority I got a few random things but I'm returning most of what I bought there. Temps are still averaging in the 40s-50s here, so I'm ok with pants/capris and a tshirt or long sleeve shirt for the time being, but I'm going to need some shorts and a few more tanks as soon as the weather starts getting warmer. I plan on holding out until the C9 shorts and tanks go on sale since I liked them the best.

Kudos to everyone for getting out there! :applause:

p.s. - also looking for an arm band for my iPhone!

artvandalay
04-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Ooh I like what you got! How do you like those LE shorts? Great price. I"m tall so I always worry about shorts being too short on me. How do they fit you?

Also I forgot to check in H's gym bag for his arm band/phone holder thingie. Will check tonite

minnie-zb
04-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Day 1: Torture. Good play list: priceless. My music is the only thing which kept me going. I kept having visions of my neighbors having to scoop me up from a lawn after I collapsed.

Does this reach a point where it is fun? When do I get the runners high? I need instant gratification!

MWmom
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
hannah

...log in my foods. I am not really sure though what to do about home made dinners that I don't know the calorie counts for. At least my breakfast/lunch foods are accurate
only have a minute this am but wanted to tell you on My Fitness Pal there is a 'recipe calculator.' I had the same issue that you did w/calories for homemade items. Frustrating. After stumbling on the calculator, much easier. I can enter the entire recipe w/# of servings. Then guestimate how many portions I ate.
If you don't want MFP there have to be similar calcs somewhere. HTH

BigDog
04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Ooh I like what you got! How do you like those LE shorts? Great price. I"m tall so I always worry about shorts being too short on me. How do they fit you?

I haven't received them in the mail yet, but I'll let you know how they fit when I get them. I'm on the shorter side, 5'5", and I sometimes buy petite stuff, but for these shorts the last thing I wanted was my rear end hanging out. The general public is already having a laugh just seeing me running!

BTW, just saw the Target ad for next week and the C9 by Champion stuff will be on sale...

artvandalay
04-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I haven't received them in the mail yet, but I'll let you know how they fit when I get them. I'm on the shorter side, 5'5", and I sometimes buy petite stuff, but for these shorts the last thing I wanted was my rear end hanging out. The general public is already having a laugh just seeing me running!

BTW, just saw the Target ad for next week and the C9 by Champion stuff will be on sale...

Thanks.. Let us know how you like it!

I started week 2 yesterday. Not too bad. I keep forgetting to stretch out a little beforehand. Baby goes down for a nap and I just run to the treadmill.

Supposed to be 80 tomorrow which is really freaking weird for my area. I'm going to run outside tomorrow. I have not run outside in years..... so this will be interesting. I'm used to just running in a sports bra and shorts because no one sees me in my house.

Do you guys run on tracks? trails? or neighborhood? There is a middleschool nearby with a track, there are also trails I could do. There is a wooded trail very close that is really nice, I've walked there before, but... and maybe I'm being paranoid - I'm nervous about running by myself in a wooded trail (especially with music in my ears). Am I being silly? I live in a safe neighborhood, but still....

minnie-zb
04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I run outside in the neighborhood on the sidewalk -- my husband thinks it should be on the road, but I'm not comfortable with that. I did it the other morning after the kids went to school, but there were lots of workmen out doing things which sort of put me off -- I think I provided comic relief.

It is supposed to be hot here on Monday too. We've been having extreme highs and lows. I guess it is spring!

BigDog
04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Completed day 2 week 2 today... pretty sure I was born to walk. And only walk.

willow33
04-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Keep it up ladies! You can do it! I was miserable during the first few weeks, but I just finished Week 6 Day 3 today and I can't believe I just ran 25 minutes straight! The weird part for me is that it's not my lungs/breathing that is hard on me...it's my legs that feel like 200lb bricks by the end. Part of it is the strength training I'm doing on the opposite days...at least I'm going to blame it on that =)

So keep it up and definitely repeat a week if you need to. This was my second time through week 6.

artvandalay
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Completed day 2 week 2 today... pretty sure I was born to walk. And only walk.

:ROTFLMAO:I feel the same way sometimes.

That's great Willow... I'm glad you're doing so well with the program.

Keep it going Minnie!

I did Week 2 day 2 yesterday. It wasn't too bad. I like the music on version 2 (chubby jones) better than version 1.

There is one song ... it's kind of a techno-ish song - about Tiger Woods.. It's hilarious! All about ambien sex, sit on my putter..just do it... :hysterical: I think people must have seen me cracking up while I was running and thought I was crazy!

I think I run slower outside than when I"m on the treadmill.

Also- do you guys use sunblock on your face when you run? How does it not get all gross and in your eyes?

The armband my H uses is called Tune Belt..looks like Amazon carries it. I used it and it works great.

artvandalay
04-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Keep it up ladies! You can do it! I was miserable during the first few weeks, but I just finished Week 6 Day 3 today and I can't believe I just ran 25 minutes straight! The weird part for me is that it's not my lungs/breathing that is hard on me...it's my legs that feel like 200lb bricks by the end. Part of it is the strength training I'm doing on the opposite days...at least I'm going to blame it on that =)

So keep it up and definitely repeat a week if you need to. This was my second time through week 6.

Willow - which week so far have you found to be the hardest?

WolfpackMom
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
I got my armband yesterday and some new sports bras and a running long sleeved shirt on Saturday because I only had tanks and weve had rainy wet mornings lately...going to start week 2 today I think if I can beat the heat (supposed to be 90!). I am seriously going to need to join a gym or something because I am not running outside when it hits 100 this summer. I need to make sure Im sticking with this before I spend any more money though.
My knees.are.killing.me. Old soccer injuries are coming back to haunt me, I really need some new running shoes since Im using some that are like 3 years old, although they were barely used. My iphone isnt new enough to use the gps function on my ap (ugh) so Im not sure how far I am running. I definitely run slower outside than on a treadmill but I think the hills may have a bit to do with that along with that terrible fresh air. ;)
I do need to update my music, I like that I pick the music for my app. but I rushed when doing it and ended up with slow crap on there that I keep having to skip through.

Anyways...Im still going at it but Im hurting! DH finally got some running shorts yesterday so Im sure he will start by next week lol...

minnie-zb
04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=artvandalay;3104929
I did Week 2 day 2 yesterday. It wasn't too bad. I like the music on version 2 (chubby jones) better than version 1.
[/QUOTE]

The app I downloaded from the the app store lets me use my own music. I love this feature. The music is the only thing which keeps me going!

willow33
04-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Willow - which week so far have you found to be the hardest?

Week 5 intimidated me the most. The running segments jumped up each day that week, but I made it through it. I'm doing it on a treadmill and I slowed my running pace down a bit to make it through.

My advice is just do your best and don't beat yourself up if you need to walk a bit or do the week over. There's no prize for finishing it in 9 weeks :)

willow33
04-11-2011, 10:05 AM
My knees.are.killing.me. Old soccer injuries are coming back to haunt me, I really need some new running shoes since Im using some that are like 3 years old, although they were barely used.

Definitely get some new sneakers! I had some that I started with that were old, but not used a lot and my knees really hurt. I went to a running store and they recorded me running on a treadmill for about 30 seconds and recommended sneakers based on that. I've had no problems since! So worth it!!

hellokitty
04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Hey ladies! I finished day 3 wk 1 yesterday. However, I'm still doing stroller class 2x a wk too. Went to stroller class this morning and omg, I thought I was going to die, we ran a LOT today, which would have been ok, except that I did C25k Sat and Sunday and I definitely need to take tomorrow off.

minnie-zb
04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I just finished wk1 day3. I think I will be repeating week 1. :cheerleader1:

Thanks everyone -- this is helping me stay motivated.

mikala
04-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I started yesterday and it went pretty well. I got a false sense of confidence at the beginning until I noticed I was pushing the stroller down a subtle incline. It got a little harder when I stopped chasing the stroller down the hill and had to push on level/uphill terrain ;)

Keep the updates coming! I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing!

artvandalay
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I need to make sure Im sticking with this before I spend any more money though.
l...

This is how I feel about buying a jogging stroller. I don't want to spend the $ until I know for sure I will be sticking with running.

WolfpackMom
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
This is how I feel about buying a jogging stroller. I don't want to spend the $ until I know for sure I will be sticking with running.

:hysterical: See now the jogging stroller (Bob revo) came before the running, but the running is now showing that buying was worthwhile....except its about 10x easier to jog without pushing DS so I have been avoiding taking him along with me!

Im all dressed and ready to go for today, just waiting for that ibuprofen to kick in...

WolfpackMom
04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Ok just got back from Week 2 Day 1 and I found it way easier than Week 1. It just seemed to go by faster, maybe because I got some more pumped up music. Ludacris was telling me to Roll Out so I did...its hot as crap out though and I got a big blister on my heel because my sock slipped down. Im going to try and go look for new sneakers tonight!

Keep at it ladies!

MWmom
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm done with week 1. Do you guys bother leaving a few days in between weeks or just the one day of rest? I feel the same as ppl. Other than the shoes I'm not spending $$ yet. But... WolfpackMom as we get further into the program will you let me know what you think of your bob for jogging.

ETA: How terrible is it that I keep forgetting to stretch after the workouts?

willow33
04-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm done with week 1. Do you guys bother leaving a few days in between weeks or just the one day of rest? I feel the same as ppl. Other than the shoes I'm not spending $$ yet. But... WolfpackMom as we get further into the program will you let me know what you think of your bob for jogging.

ETA: How terrible is it that I keep forgetting to stretch after the workouts?

I make sure to stretch, especially my calves. If I don't, they tighten up and cramp later. I stand with my toes on the edge of my treadmill or bottom stair and slowly lower my body down. I don't stretch before though.

hellokitty
04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Actually, I've spent a lot of $$$. I still need to sell my P&T, b/c I got the kelty (but I've been using strollers for yrs for mommy and me stroller class) jogger. My workout clothes was all hanging off of me. Having to run while trying to hike up your bottoms with one hand sucks. So, I've gotten new workout clothes. And I also got new running shoes and inserts. I always thought it was a bunch of bologna when ppl said that buying nice workout clothes could help you feel/look better, but I have to admit that it's true. This is the first time I've gotten myself nicer workout clothes and it has made a difference mentally. I have pretty low confidence when it comes to anything sports related to begin with and always feel like I must look like an idiot when I work out. So, it's helped. Plus, I even had friends in stroller class asking me what I've been doing, b/c I look terrific, and usually compliments like that aren't a big deal to me, but this time I really cherished it.

artvandalay
04-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Week 2 day 3 done. Still lovin' the naughty Tiger Woods song :hysterical:

I've been trying to do every other day. Think I'm gonna do strength training on my days off - basically arms and abs. They are both in sorry shape - especially my abs after baby#3. I'm convinced I have the weakest arms on the planet.

I totally agree about getting nice workout clothes. I have some cute ones that fit me from when I lost a bunch of weight 2 years ago. I will be investing in some good running shoes - will probably visit the running store so they can recommend shoes for me.

I am also getting a bike trailer. Some convert to a stroller, so I thought it would work for running, but it looks like the front wheel would be too small... better for walking. Can't wait to stick my two younger ones in there and bike.

BigDog
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
I've been trying to do every other day. Think I'm gonna do strength training on my days off - basically arms and abs. They are both in sorry shape - especially my abs after baby#3. I'm convinced I have the weakest arms on the planet.

I totally agree about getting nice workout clothes. I have some cute ones that fit me from when I lost a bunch of weight 2 years ago. I will be investing in some good running shoes - will probably visit the running store so they can recommend shoes for me.

I am also getting a bike trailer. Some convert to a stroller, so I thought it would work for running, but it looks like the front wheel would be too small... better for walking. Can't wait to stick my two younger ones in there and bike.

I've been trying to do it every other day too. I finished week 2 yesterday, and while I felt good doing it, my legs told a different story afterwards! I think it was because I walked 3 miles the day before when I should've just rested. I'm going to take the two days of rest before I start week 3. My main problem is my breathing so I tried a different breathing pattern that I read about online and I think it helped me. It's inhale through the mouth for two heel strikes, and then exhale through the mouth for three heel strikes. I had to really concentrate to stick to it, but I do think it helped.

I agree about spending a few $$ on workout clothes, shoes, etc even if you're not 100% committed just yet. It's helped me feel better about myself and it motivates me to get out there and just do it! I don't want to see that money go to waste, haha!

I'd like to start some strength training too but I don't know how to begin or what I should be doing. My arms and abs are a site for sore eyes. I've never had a flat stomach so I don't know if that's achievable at this point in my life, but I'm willing to try - just like running!

Art - are those bike trailers collapse-able? DH and I were thinking about getting one to take on vacation with us this year but we weren't sure if it folds up to pack it in the car or tie to a roof rack? Since DS1 is too big now for the bike seat, it'd be nice to put him and DS2 in one of those trailers together. BTW, hated those shorts I ordered from LE. I'm returning them. They weren't very flattering (or maybe my legs are just too pastey white!).

minnie-zb
04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Stretching: definitely after I'm done! How are you walking? If I don't stretch there's no way I could get up and down the stairs. :)

I haven't bought anything but shoes and the app for my touch. I am going to invest in a bra -- I think they are on sale at Target this week?

What's everyone got on their playlist? I'm looking for some fun, upbeat music.

Here's my list:

Begin to Spin Me Round
Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)
Boogie Shoes
Firework (glee version)
Gives You Hell
Good Time
Holiday (vampire weekend)
Here I Am
Hot n Cold
I Gotta Feeling
La La Land
LDN
Let's Get It Started
Lollipop (Mika)
SexyBack
Physical (glee version)
Valerie (glee version)
When I Get You Alone (glee)
The Sweet Escape
Tik Tok (glee version)
One Love

Hmmm....Think I like Glee? :p

hellokitty
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Some bike trailers are collapsible. We have a schwinn one that is. However, some of them aren't. I can see why it would make a poor jogging stroller through, that wheel in the front is teeny tiny. A mom uses it as her jogging stroller in our stroller class and I don't know how she does it. The chain is always dangling and the front wheel sticks out substantially, I'm waiting for her to trip up another mom by accident.

I can't wait until next school yr. DH and I can take DS3 out on the bike trail when the older boys are at full day school. However, our dilemma right now is that even though dS1 and DS2 can bike, they aren't very reliable and safe. Our bike trail has to cross some busy roads, so I am way too nervous to let them ride with us.

artvandalay
04-12-2011, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=BigDog;3106358]
I'd like to start some strength training too but I don't know how to begin or what I should be doing. QUOTE]

For arms, yesterday I followed this lady's recommedation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R92SU7uMV4I

3 sets each (12 - 15 reps) of biceps curl, triceps curl and flies.

I am a wimp and used 3 lb weights.. but I think I might use 5 lb next time.

I also found this video and might try these to switch it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A14UwsfAKI

As far as abs... I dunno. I need to look into what I should do. I figure crunches and possibly side crunches? My hips and thighs are a problem but i'm hoping running will fix them.

OH and yes, most of the bike trailers I've looked into collapse. I started a long thread on bike trailers in the stroller forum. Seems you can go cheap (ones from Target) to very expensive ones (Chariots and Burley's). Still researching which one we should get. Some convert to strollers. Some have larger wheels and spoked-wheels while others have plastic spokes - H thinks we should buy the regular spoked and not plastic ones.

I don't think that a trailer will work as a jogging stroller, but I still really want to get out on my bike with the kids and bike as a family.

artvandalay
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
OH and Big Dog... too bad the LE shorts didn't work for you.

Check out my bitching post about LE. I am returning practially my entire order :(

Minnie I love Glee, too...especially the Warblers' stuff. I'm just using the podcast which has music already on it but could use some recommendations on workout tunes as well.

artvandalay
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Today was my off day from C25k. I said I wanted to do abs/arms on the off days. I remembered that in my 30 Day Shred DVD they do them.... so I did the workout (level 1). Haven't done 30 Day Shred in a long time. I did ok with endurance/cardio but I suck at push ups. I told you I have weakling arms.

Hoping to start c25k Week 3 tomorrow.

minnie-zb
04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Start of Week Two for me: But I'm repeating Week 1! :)

Rough start today: I fell off the curb before I even started. Yes, a little embarrassing and a little knocked up and bruised. I had to go back in the house and change my muddy pants. A very graceful, swan-like start.

But, my one knee was feeling better today -- I think the muscle around the knee is starting to get stronger and it was more secure.

ETA: Does anyone else feel like they are eating less? I know I am.

artvandalay
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Start of Week Two for me: But I'm repeating Week 1! :)

Rough start today: I fell off the curb before I even started. Yes, a little embarrassing and a little knocked up and bruised. I had to go back in the house and change my muddy pants. A very graceful, swan-like start.

Oh no.. that stinks. Hopefully no one witnessed it! lol

Well, I did 30 Day Shred yesterday.. and I felt ok doing it. Woke up this morning and am sore as hell. I haven't done it in a long time and forgot how sore it makes you in the beginning. I am taking today off... no running. My upper area (chest and arms) are still killing me.... and I used wimpy weights... the 3 lb ones.

BigDog
04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Started week 3 yesterday and my legs are aching. I think it's going to be an ibuprofen-'round-the-clock kind of day.

hellokitty
04-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I did wk 2, day 2 today. However, I'm worn out from zumba last night, but pushed myself to do it today, b/c it might freakin SNOW this wknd. UGH.

willow33
04-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Just finished Week 7. I keep hoping it's going to get easier with this longer runs, but I had a tough time today.

WolfpackMom
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Just finished week 2. Week 3 starts Sunday. I got new sneakers which feel much better, however, I was still moving at the pace of an 80 year old. Ive been following the workout timing etc but I have only been going 2 miles so I must be really slow, or the distance increases as the weeks go on??

I wish I had the gumption to add in classes like zumba and stuff like others are talking about...its hard enough fitting this in for me! I may start adding crunches etc to the routine though, my abs are in sorry shape.

Im going to need to start carb loading or something!

artvandalay
04-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Started Week 3 today. Wasn't terrible. When she said 3 minutes of running I worried, but I did ok. Would you believe I"m still a little bit sore from Shred 2 days ago? I am a weakling. I think I would have had an easier time today if I still wasn't sore.

It's really too bad that we all live in different parts of the US.... it would be nice to meet up after we finish the program and run a 5k togther!

artvandalay
04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=WolfpackMom;3110915]Just finished week 2. Week 3 starts Sunday. I got new sneakers which feel much better, QUOTE]

What kind did you get? Glad they are treating you nice! I really need new ones. Mine are a pair of New Balance that are quite old.

WolfpackMom
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=WolfpackMom;3110915]Just finished week 2. Week 3 starts Sunday. I got new sneakers which feel much better, QUOTE]

What kind did you get? Glad they are treating you nice! I really need new ones. Mine are a pair of New Balance that are quite old.

I went to DSW last night and they had a lot on sale. I got Asic Gel Kahanas. They are actually trail running shoes but had the most support out of any I tried on (makes sense for uneven terrain). My knees are still really sore but I could tell when running today that the shoes were going to be better. I just wish I could go faster/further, I feel like a slug still!

artvandalay
04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=artvandalay;3111054]

I went to DSW last night and they had a lot on sale. I got Asic Gel Kahanas. They are actually trail running shoes but had the most support out of any I tried on (makes sense for uneven terrain). My knees are still really sore but I could tell when running today that the shoes were going to be better. I just wish I could go faster/further, I feel like a slug still!

I run slow. It doesn't bother me. I am more concerned with endurance/how long I can run. I will be shocked if I can run an entire 5k without walking. I still don't believe I can do it. I am not a runner.

BigDog
04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=WolfpackMom;3111066]

I run slow. It doesn't bother me. I am more concerned with endurance/how long I can run. I will be shocked if I can run an entire 5k without walking. I still don't believe I can do it. I am not a runner.

I'm with you on that one! However, think of how far we've come already! I mean, I just ran for 3 minutes straight which is HUGE for me! It's motivating me to push myself further. Kind of excited for myself... And all you other c25k girls!! We're awesome!

(BTW, I run so slow it could be considered a fast walk...)

hellokitty
04-16-2011, 09:01 AM
It's really too bad that we all live in different parts of the US.... it would be nice to meet up after we finish the program and run a 5k togther!

Lol, maybe next yr we should aim to do the princess marathon (or you could do half too) at WDW together.
:D

hellokitty
04-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Just finished week 2. Week 3 starts Sunday. I got new sneakers which feel much better, however, I was still moving at the pace of an 80 year old. Ive been following the workout timing etc but I have only been going 2 miles so I must be really slow, or the distance increases as the weeks go on??

I wish I had the gumption to add in classes like zumba and stuff like others are talking about...its hard enough fitting this in for me! I may start adding crunches etc to the routine though, my abs are in sorry shape.

Im going to need to start carb loading or something!

Don't worry about adding extra stuff on. I'm kind of doing it, b/c the C25K is the, 'extra" part of my workouts and I'm trying desperately to lose wt. I am one of those ppl who HAS to work out a LOT in order to lose wt, I can't just do it via diet alone, like a lot of ppl can. My stupid body has been like this since I was a teen. I do the zumba mainly b/c it is so fun, and I feel that it helps trim down my middle, b/c of all the hip movement in class. However, yeah, I am pretty much working out about 6x a wk now and my house looks like a disaster zone. I'm so unbalanced, if I do x, then y gets neglected.

artvandalay
04-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Who was the one that posted something about they found an article that gave him hints on breathing? I can't seem to find the post. Someone said it mentions when to breathe depending on your heel strikes? Could that person pls post the link - if you have it?

Did Week 3, Day 2 this morning. I sometimes feel like I run kind of awkward. When I was in high school I ran track, and I remember a guy on my team mentioning to me that I ran "weird". It kind of stuck in my mind and I'm a little self conscious about how I look when I run.

WolfpackMom
04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Im planning on starting Week 3 this afternoon. I was supposed to start yesterday but am still in a lot of pain in my knees. :( boo.
I am not trying to lose weight, just get in shape hellokitty, I just want to add in ways to give me a back a tummy, but I think Im not sure how much I can do about that, its all baby stretch! Zumba seems like it would be fun though!

hellokitty
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Im planning on starting Week 3 this afternoon. I was supposed to start yesterday but am still in a lot of pain in my knees. :( boo.
I am not trying to lose weight, just get in shape hellokitty, I just want to add in ways to give me a back a tummy, but I think Im not sure how much I can do about that, its all baby stretch! Zumba seems like it would be fun though!

Zumba is fun. You should find a local class and try it out! I got with my friends 1x a wk, and really like it. Have you checked your shoes for your knee issues? I got new shoes a few wks ago and it's helped a lot. I went to a Road Runner store and they basically figured out what type of shoe would work best for my foot and I got the insert too (they mold it to your foot). My knees haven't been bothering me as much since then. I'm starting wk 3 too, but probably not until later on this wk, already went to stroller class this morning and it was all running, push ups, planks and lower body stuff!

WolfpackMom
04-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Zumba is fun. You should find a local class and try it out! I got with my friends 1x a wk, and really like it. Have you checked your shoes for your knee issues? I got new shoes a few wks ago and it's helped a lot. I went to a Road Runner store and they basically figured out what type of shoe would work best for my foot and I got the insert too (they mold it to your foot). My knees haven't been bothering me as much since then. I'm starting wk 3 too, but probably not until later on this wk, already went to stroller class this morning and it was all running, push ups, planks and lower body stuff!

Yup I got new shoes last week, I messed up me knees pretty well playing soccer when I was younger and I think its coming back to bite me in the butt. That and Im just scrawny and need to build up some muscle and stamina - Im sure that will help with the pain. Look at you doing stroller class too :jammin: I wish I could fit in some hard core classes to my schedule but its not happening right now!

BigDog
04-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Who was the one that posted something about they found an article that gave him hints on breathing? I can't seem to find the post. Someone said it mentions when to breathe depending on your heel strikes? Could that person pls post the link - if you have it?

That was me. I don't have the exact site, but I had googled "running and breathing", I think. Found lots of good info.

Finished week 3 today and feel pretty good (and surprised that I made it this far)! Saw a preview of week 4 and it looks HARD. I'm scared.

artvandalay
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Can we talk goals and rewards?

My goals are:

1. Get throught to week 9 (no matter how long that takes)
2. Run a 5K sometimes this year
3. Lose a few pounds and tone up (I am going to do 30Day Shred a few times a week in addition to C25k)
4. Wear a bathing suit in confidence. Going on a cruise early fall. I am not overweight, but I've let myself get kind of flabby and out of tone (and my hips and stomach need work). I usually wear a cover up over my bathing suit because I feel pretty self conscious about it. I want to feel good in a bathing suit.
5. Wouldn't mind gettin' some Michele Obama arms!
6. Log into MyFitnessPal daily. I've been loggin in my exercise but I am not so good at putting things into the food diary.

My rewards for completing this:

1. A couple of cute new bathing suits
2. New summer wardrobe!

artvandalay
04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
That was me. I don't have the exact site, but I had googled "running and breathing", I think. Found lots of good info.

Finished week 3 today and feel pretty good (and surprised that I made it this far)! Saw a preview of week 4 and it looks HARD. I'm scared.

Thanks.. I"ll google it.

I just looked at week 4 - It does look hard!! I think I saw two 5 minute runs and two or three 3 minute runs. I wonder if we will survive:rotflmao:

hellokitty
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Art, I like your goals and I think that it would be great to share them!

Here is a list of mine (in no particular order)...

-Finish C25K program
-Complete at least one 5K (unfortunately, the one I was planning to do with friends is mid-may and I will only be at about wk 6 of C25K, but that is ok).
-Lose wt
-Continue to keep up with logging exercise/diet on MFP
-Be able to pull off wearing a swim suit from athleta. I love their clothes, but there is no way in my current condition that I would look good in it. I know I will never be waif skinny, but I definitely have the potential to have an athletic looking body. I've always gotten comments about how amazingly toned my calves are and have always hated that they weren't skinny chicken calves, but I guess I just need to suck it up and deal with the fact that I will always have toned looking calves. That is one reason I wear short skirts, b/c it's more flattering on my calves than longer skirts or shorts. You know it is bad when men are jealous of your calves!

As far as rewards, I will be buying myself a new wardrobe once I get to my goal wt. :) I'm giving myself about a yr to reach my goal wt.

artvandalay
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Art, I like your goals and I think that it would be great to share them!

Here is a list of mine (in no particular order)...

-Finish C25K program
-Complete at least one 5K (unfortunately, the one I was planning to do with friends is mid-may and I will only be at about wk 6 of C25K, but that is ok).
-Lose wt
-Continue to keep up with logging exercise/diet on MFP
-Be able to pull off wearing a swim suit from athleta. I love their clothes, but there is no way in my current condition that I would look good in it. I know I will never be waif skinny, but I definitely have the potential to have an athletic looking body. I've always gotten comments about how amazingly toned my calves are and have always hated that they weren't skinny chicken calves, but I guess I just need to suck it up and deal with the fact that I will always have toned looking calves. That is one reason I wear short skirts, b/c it's more flattering on my calves than longer skirts or shorts. You know it is bad when men are jealous of your calves!

As far as rewards, I will be buying myself a new wardrobe once I get to my goal wt. :) I'm giving myself about a yr to reach my goal wt.

Looks like we have similar goals... Let's make sure we reach them :thumbsup:

Finished Week 3 today. I'm feeling good. My energy has picked up quite a bit and my endurance is getting better. I'm starting to feel guilty on the days I don't exercise. I had a bad headache yesterday and took the day off.

I'm aiming to exercise daily. I'd like to do 30 Day Shred on my days off from C25k,and I'll take a day off from exercising here and there when I need to or don't have the time. 30DS is getting easier to get through, too... but I"m still on Level 1. I guess tomorrow I will attempt Level 2. I think I'm feeling a little panicked that summer will be here soon and I really want to lose a few more pounds and get toned up before I start wearing shorts again.

Looked at week 4 c25K. 4 Doesn't look bad but 5 looks hard. I think I originally looked at week 5 thinking it was week 4 and got freaked out.

WolfpackMom
04-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I started W3 D2 today but then my former boss called in the middle of it and I of course had to answer (Im trying to keep job possbilities open so I wasnt about to not answer lol)...and I ended up walking home talking on the phone for 20 minutes. By the time I got back in the house I had to get back to work - Ive been doing these 30 minute workouts during my lunch break. Sigh

So I guess I will be repeating day 2 of week 3. On another note, my knees are still killing me and I have been icing them constantly, one of them was a bit swollen today but they are feeling better than they did yesterday. I hate that DS' daycare is about to go on spring break which means no childcare tomorrow thru next Tuesday so Ill have to run with a stroller - its soooo much harder! Wah! ;)

As far as goals/rewards...My goal is to finish the program. And then to run a 5k. Next fall there is a 10k I would like to do, but Im not thinking about that all until I get through the 5k. I also would like to get more toned and have more muscle, I am not looking to lose weight.
As a reward, Id like to get a gym membership...mainly so that I dont have to run in the heat. I was outside today at 83deg and its only going to get hotter, running outside in a NC summer is not happening. I hope I can make it thru 9 weeks before its unbearable out.

hellokitty
04-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Yup, most ppl say that wk 5 is daunting. I am not looking forward to it. We do have similar goals. :) I ordered some workout tank tops (with built in bra) from old navy (with the yoga skirts) and I LOVE them. They are so cute for workout clothes and are flattering if you still have some mummy tummy to hide.

I did stroller class today, we ran and did a bunch of circuit training and I know that my butt is going to hurt by tomorrow. Did zumba last night. Tomorrow, the weather is actually supposed to be nice, so I hope to do C25K again and then I have MNO, so I won't feel guilty about eating out. :)

artvandalay
04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
WolfPackMom - that stinks about your knees. Do they bother you everytime you run?

Hellokitty - do you think StrollerStrides would be worth doing only once per week? I've thought about doing it, but in the summer I have all 3 kids at home (I"m a SAHM). One day a week my H works from home, so I could take the baby and do it. I looked at it and it seemed kind of expensive for what it was.... do you think it's worth it?

And where is jenfromnj?

hellokitty
04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
WolfPackMom - that stinks about your knees. Do they bother you everytime you run?

Hellokitty - do you think StrollerStrides would be worth doing only once per week? I've thought about doing it, but in the summer I have all 3 kids at home (I"m a SAHM). One day a week my H works from home, so I could take the baby and do it. I looked at it and it seemed kind of expensive for what it was.... do you think it's worth it?

And where is jenfromnj?

Usually, they let you do one trial class for free. The class I do is independently run with a few small franchises spread out (she even has one in EUROPE!), so I can't really tell you what they do at SS, since my group is not affiliated with SS. However, at our stroller class, we run, do circuit training and also other strength exercises. I like it, b/c it is not just regular running, if it were, obviously I could do that on my own. On top of that, it's like a built in playdate for the kids and it's so nice meeting other moms through it as well. When the weather is cold, we run at the mall (yeah, we are very entertaining for the mall walkers). When the weather warms up, we meet up at a park and do our workout around that area and then after class, we let the kids play at the park. Sometimes we've done it in one of the members' neighborhoods too and just played in their backyard or driveway after class. We have a lot of overlap btwn stroller and moms club moms, so I am pretty much friendly with everyone and see them outside of stroller class too. As for price, I know that the more classes you take the cheaper they are. They offer class 3x a wk in our group, If you only take it 1x a wk, I think it comes out to $5-$6 a class, I signed up for 2x a wk, so it's $4 a class and if you do 3x per wk, it's even cheaper. Oh and for me, stroller class is great too, b/c everyone is so supportive and we motivate one another.

For summer, our stroller class does a big kid camp during the class (they hire babysitters, class is 1 hr) and also on Wed, they do a bike 'n trike class for the big kids. It will cost me extra for those, but I also know my older kids will enjoy playing with other older kids (graduates from stroller class from when I did it when my older boys were little) and also the bike n trike part too. You should try out a class now before school lets out for the summer to see if you like it and also ask if they do something special in the summer for moms who have older ones. I think I have a free code for one SS class that came with my kelty jogger, if I can find it, I will PM it to you. :)

WolfpackMom
04-21-2011, 09:30 AM

And where is jenfromnj?

Yes, but this is not shocking because I messed them up pretty well when I was younger and playing soccer. For whatever reason I have always had weak joints in my knees and I pulled tendons etc when I was younger. I know once I build up some strength they wont be so bad, Ive done it before, I just need to get over that initial hump of them crapping out on me. Im hoping the vit D supplements help too, I was reading up on the deficiency and it can affect joints and bone density so that may be part of the issue.

bubbaray
04-21-2011, 09:48 AM
On another note, my knees are still killing me and I have been icing them constantly, one of them was a bit swollen today but they are feeling better than they did yesterday.

You might want to consider new running shoes with better forefoot cushioning and stability. :thumbsup:

WolfpackMom
04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
You might want to consider new running shoes with better forefoot cushioning and stability. :thumbsup:

Yep I got new ones last Thursday that are much better and I do think they are helping some. I'm just a wimp lol I can take migraines and labor but mess with my joints and I'm whinetastic. ;)

artvandalay
04-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Hellokitty...that class sounds really nice. Yours is more reasonable than the one here. Here it's $10 for one drop in, or $45 per month (unlimited times a week) with a $50 registration fee, or you can buy a ten block pass for $75. I can only do one day a week - so the ten block pass would be the best bet but it comes out to about $7.50 a class which seems like alot to me.

Wolfpackmom - I hope your knees get better and you build up some strength in them soon so you can complete the program.

Well - did Week 4 day 1 this morning. Not bad. Didn't expect two 5 minute runs but I did ok. Ran 5.2, walked 3.8, 1% incline. I did it before everyone in the house woke up, but miscalculated how long it would take me to finish, and I didn't get to do the 5 min cool down/and I forgot to stretch because the baby woke up and H had to go to work. I did Shred last night so I'm a tad sore still from that, but I muddled through.

Also the bottom of my right foot hurts. I get plantar fasciatis really easy when I don't wear good shoes around the house (we have hardwood). I think I might need new running shoes.

hellokitty
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes, but this is not shocking because I messed them up pretty well when I was younger and playing soccer. For whatever reason I have always had weak joints in my knees and I pulled tendons etc when I was younger. I know once I build up some strength they wont be so bad, Ive done it before, I just need to get over that initial hump of them crapping out on me. Im hoping the vit D supplements help too, I was reading up on the deficiency and it can affect joints and bone density so that may be part of the issue.

Would it help to wear a brace over your knee(s) while running? I know a mom who does, and I'm assuming it's b/c her knees bother her. FWIW, I don't know how old you are, but in my stroller class two of us get knee pain the most often are also the oldest in class (late 30's), so I'm at the point where I feel like age does factor into knee issues. I've never had great knees to begin with, and 30 day shred REALLY f'd them up even worse last yr, but I'm feeling old with my aches and pains.

hellokitty
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
I just did w3d2 today and feel great. On the last run, I decided to just keep running and did fantastic. HOWEVER, I know that the workouts for w3 are shorter. Too bad it is going to RAIN all wknd. I was lucky to squeeze in a run this morning before the rain really hit (pavement was wet from a previous sprinkle), but have a feeling I won't be able to run Sat or Sun b/c of the weather.

WolfpackMom
04-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Would it help to wear a brace over your knee(s) while running? I know a mom who does, and I'm assuming it's b/c her knees bother her. FWIW, I don't know how old you are, but in my stroller class two of us get knee pain the most often are also the oldest in class (late 30's), so I'm at the point where I feel like age does factor into knee issues. I've never had great knees to begin with, and 30 day shred REALLY f'd them up even worse last yr, but I'm feeling old with my aches and pains.

Yes, thats going to be next purchase. I wore one back in the day playing sports so I think I will have to try that out again. I am planning on going out tonight when DH gets home to redo W3D2 since I got interrupted on Wednesday. The last two days it hasnt felt as weak so *knock on wood* hopefully things will continue to improve. I am 27 so Im not sure that age is a factor, at least I hope not yet, just another thing to look forward to as my 30s approach. :)

Glad your run today went great! :thumbsup: Its gross weather here today too but then is supposed to be 87 Saturday and Sunday so Sunday I will be going out early for W3D3 before the heat sets in.

jenfromnj
04-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry I've been an absentee thread starter! Things were going well until this week, when I hit the perfect storm or work emergencies galore and the infestation of our house by a stomach virus, so I totally fell off the wagon.

I am getting back out there tonight when DH comes home though, but I think I should go back and repeat at least part of week 2 again--if I were in better shape I could probably just pick up with week 3 where I left off, but I'm SO not.

Glad to hear that so many others are sticking to the plan!

hellokitty
04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Sorry I've been an absentee thread starter! Things were going well until this week, when I hit the perfect storm or work emergencies galore and the infestation of our house by a stomach virus, so I totally fell off the wagon.

I am getting back out there tonight when DH comes home though, but I think I should go back and repeat at least part of week 2 again--if I were in better shape I could probably just pick up with week 3 where I left off, but I'm SO not.

Glad to hear that so many others are sticking to the plan!

Oh no Jen! Life happens, but I know the feeling where you are trying to get yourself into a groove and things out of your control throw you off. Hope that your week gets better.

BigDog
04-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Finished day 2 of week 4 today. I felt awesome, which was a surprise seeing how I was dragging during the first day of week 4. And I was hardly struggling during the 5 minute runs, too! Could it be this c25k thing is really doing what it's supposed to?!

hellokitty
04-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Great job Big Dog! :thumbsup:

artvandalay
04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
BigDog - glad you're doing so well! JenfromNJ - good to hear you're still hangin' with us!

Did Week 4 Day 2 yesterday. I was struggling with the last 5 minutes but got through it. I've been exercising almost every day (taking one day off a week) - doing c25k one day then doing Shred the next, and I think it's getting to be too much. I feel like I hit a wall today. I'm gonna make sure I take 2 days off each week (no exercising) to recoop and see how I feel. I think the squats and lunges from Shred combined with running are killing my legs.

hellokitty
04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Finished w3. Plan to start w4 tomorrow or wednesday, depending on if I can find a dry time (raining ALL week!).

WolfpackMom
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Ok after 4 days resting and icing the knee I went back out tonight and repeated W3D2. It went great. Still in pain but it felt good to move and I even added an extra minute and 20 sec of running before the cool down. On to day 3 on Wed and Fri starts Week 4. It's been 90 deg the past couple days so I may stick with the evening running. :)

artvandalay
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
1st c25k related injury today. 20 minutes into Week 4, Day 3 my left calf cramps up really bad. Had to stop. It's still pretty sore. I've been stretching it. Any idea why this happend? I'm thinking dehydration or not stretching properly afterwards? Do you think I've been overworking my legs from Shred? I've decided to take two days off a week instead of one because I've been feeling sore and kinda tired the past few days.

DH told me to eat more bananas. I eat a banana every day. He's also suggesting I eat something with salt. I don't like salty foods and I never crave salt. I think he's gonna pick me up a Gatorade.

hellokitty
04-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh no, Art. Maybe you did overdo it by doing 30DS too. I had an interesting first day for wk 4. The podcast had no prompting at all and the weather turned absolutely scary while I was out (was afraid it would start hailing on me). I ended up running 20 min straight, just to finish the workout, lol. Surprised myself, but I will have to check the podcast to see what is up, b/c my DH said he'd take care of uploading it for me and it had no prompting.

artvandalay
04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh no, Art. Maybe you did overdo it by doing 30DS too. I had an interesting first day for wk 4. The podcast had no prompting at all and the weather turned absolutely scary while I was out (was afraid it would start hailing on me). I ended up running 20 min straight, just to finish the workout, lol. Surprised myself, but I will have to check the podcast to see what is up, b/c my DH said he'd take care of uploading it for me and it had no prompting.

You ran 20 minutes straight? Damn, girl! :thumbsup: I think the end of Week 5 is a 20 minute run and it scares the crap out of me. I know alot of it is probably mental.

I rested yesterday after the leg cramp, stretched and drank lots of water. I stayed off the treadmill today but decided to give No More Trouble Zones a shot. Was getting a little bored with Shred (it is still super hard for me, but I need to change things up once in awhile). Could only finish the first 4 circuts. Jillian kicked my butt today.

hellokitty
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
You ran 20 minutes straight? Damn, girl! :thumbsup: I think the end of Week 5 is a 20 minute run and it scares the crap out of me. I know alot of it is probably mental.

I rested yesterday after the leg cramp, stretched and drank lots of water. I stayed off the treadmill today but decided to give No More Trouble Zones a shot. Was getting a little bored with Shred (it is still super hard for me, but I need to change things up once in awhile). Could only finish the first 4 circuts. Jillian kicked my butt today.

I know. I can't believe I ran 20 min straight and when I got home I looked online and realized that what I did was basically wk 5, so maybe I should just skip to wk 5, lol. I wanted to make sure I got my workout in and the weather was looking so awful (like running into 25 mph winds, sky turning really dark, temp dropped almost 10 degrees, so I looked extra idiotic in a tank top), I just wanted to hurry up. Scary weather is good motivation, lol.

Hope you guys with injuries are feeling better. I got a 15 lb kettle ball last wk, but realized that I need some sort of video to go with it. So, just ordered Jillian Michaels, "Shred it with weights" DVD. Hoping to add that to the days that I do C25K.

WolfpackMom
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Well I got week 3 finished tonight and stretched the last 3 minute section to 6 minutes. I know it's no 20 lol but I'm not doing all those other classes and workouts like you guys just this to get in shape. That's my excuse and I'm sticking too it! ;) I'm a little nervouse about starting week 4 but I'm going for it Friday. It seems like all my running portions keep timing with steep hills so I'm hoping that week 4 times me for flat surfaces! Then again I guess the harder the hills are now the easier the real thing will be (If it's less hilly).
I still wish I was going further distances, Im still only hitting 2 miles the hilly route and a little over 2 with the less hilly one. I may go map a longer path tomorrow in the car and follow that one on Friday.

Do you guys have any songs that pump you up? The Florence and the Machine version of Dog Days Are Over is what made me do 6 mins today. That song makes me move. Also do you find you hit your stride late in the run. I feel like I get going and it starts to feel good when I'm like 2/3 done.

hellokitty
04-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Well I got week 3 finished tonight and stretched the last 3 minute section to 6 minutes. I know it's no 20 lol but I'm not doing all those other classes and workouts like you guys just this to get in shape. That's my excuse and I'm sticking too it! ;) I'm a little nervouse about starting week 4 but I'm going for it Friday. It seems like all my running portions keep timing with steep hills so I'm hoping that week 4 times me for flat surfaces! Then again I guess the harder the hills are now the easier the real thing will be (If it's less hilly).
I still wish I was going further distances, Im still only hitting 2 miles the hilly route and a little over 2 with the less hilly one. I may go map a longer path tomorrow in the car and follow that one on Friday.

Do you guys have any songs that pump you up? The Florence and the Machine version of Dog Days Are Over is what made me do 6 mins today. That song makes me move. Also do you find you hit your stride late in the run. I feel like I get going and it starts to feel good when I'm like 2/3 done.

I hate the hills too. Luckily, we don't have huge ones, but we have inclines that are very LONG, so it seems to last forever. I like the C25K podcasts from www.kissmyblackass.org Her music is pumped up and that is what I need to get me through it!

minnie-zb
04-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Long time, no update. It sounds like everyone has been doing really, really well! :bighand:

I started WK2D1 today. It took me 3 weeks on week 1 -- I was in bad shape, hadn't been doing any cardio prior to starting and my legs were weak. Had a few days of hurting tendons around the old knees which made me take it slow. The good news: my knees and legs are feeling stronger and I feel more secure on my legs. I think I did the right thing by listening to my body. It felt pretty good today starting week 2.

My goals:

* I'd like to lose 30 pounds (starting I was 184 and 5'5").
* I want to feel good about myself and I want to set a good example for my girls -- I want them to be proud of me.
* And, it's my 20 year college reunion next year and I want to look good -- vanity, what can I say? :)

minnie-zb
04-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Earlier in the thread I put in my playlist and like you the playlist really helps me push. Even on walking it keeps my speed going. If you can't find it or you don't want to hunt, let me know and I can repost. This thread is getting long!

I also find I hit my stride about 2/3's of the way through. Maybe it's a mental thing? I know I feel good when they say I'm halfway through!

hellokitty
04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Earlier in the thread I put in my playlist and like you the playlist really helps me push. Even on walking it keeps my speed going. If you can't find it or you don't want to hunt, let me know and I can repost. This thread is getting long!

I also find I hit my stride about 2/3's of the way through. Maybe it's a mental thing? I know I feel good when they say I'm halfway through!

Glad that you are back to it! And yes, I find that 2/3 into the it, it suddenly seems a lot easier. I don't know why, like you say, maybe it's a mental thing and knowing that I am almost finished.

artvandalay
04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Long time, no update. It sounds like everyone has been doing really, really well! :bighand:

I started WK2D1 today. It took me 3 weeks on week 1 -- I was in bad shape, hadn't been doing any cardio prior to starting and my legs were weak. Had a few days of hurting tendons around the old knees which made me take it slow. The good news: my knees and legs are feeling stronger and I feel more secure on my legs. I think I did the right thing by listening to my body. It felt pretty good today starting week 2.

My goals:

* I'd like to lose 30 pounds (starting I was 184 and 5'5").
* I want to feel good about myself and I want to set a good example for my girls -- I want them to be proud of me.
* And, it's my 20 year college reunion next year and I want to look good -- vanity, what can I say? :)

Minnie I was wondering about you. Glad you're still with us! We all need matching T shirts or something when we finish week 9 :rotflmao:

You're doing the right thing about listening to your body and repeating when needed. Better to repeat than injure yourself or get burned out.

Today's a rest day for me. My thighs are sore from Jillian yelling at me and telling me not to "phone it in"

artvandalay
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
So, just ordered Jillian Michaels, "Shred it with weights" DVD. Hoping to add that to the days that I do C25K.

Let me know how you like it. I've never watched Biggest Loser, but I really like JM. I'm compiling some ideas that I can hint around of what I would like for Mother's Day. DH and my boys usually run around like crazy people the day before scrambling to find me things I would like. I'm thinking of letting my DH know I wouldn't mind getting a few exercise DVD's. I get bored doing the same thing so I'd like to build up my library a bit.

I only own 30DS and a few pilates DVD's. I rented No More Trouble Zones from Netflix to see if I would like it, and I think I actually like it more than Shred. It's nice because you are moving the whole time and your heart rate is up, but there is no real 'cardio' , which is ok for me because I'm doing c25k for my cardio. I want to concentrate on weights on my days off. I feel like you get a better weights/strength workout from NMTZ. I am also thinking of 6 Week Six Pack. I was wondering how Shred it with Weights is. I am also going to hint that I would really like one of those tune belts so I don't have to run with my phone in my hand.

minnie-zb
04-28-2011, 03:03 PM
My husband has an upper arm holster thingie (yes, that is the technical term! :) ) for the touch/iphone and I've been using it. It works pretty well.

artvandalay
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
CRAP. 19 minutes in and my left calf cramps up again. WTH. I drank loads of water the past couple of days. Ate a banana this morning. Took yesterday off. I lowered the incline from 1% to zero about halfway through. I even ran slower - 5.1 instead of 5.2. Should have lowered the incline it at the beginning but I didn't think my calf would cramp again. I really hate that I can't finish this week. What am I doing wrong?

Should I quit doing the JM DVD's for now? I figured I would be ok because she targets all the muscles - abs, arms, shoulders, thighs...etc. It's not all legwork.

*pouts and sulks off to shower*

hellokitty
04-29-2011, 01:02 PM
CRAP. 19 minutes in and my left calf cramps up again. WTH. I drank loads of water the past couple of days. Ate a banana this morning. Took yesterday off. I lowered the incline from 1% to zero about halfway through. I even ran slower - 5.1 instead of 5.2. Should have lowered the incline it at the beginning but I didn't think my calf would cramp again. I really hate that I can't finish this week. What am I doing wrong?

Should I quit doing the JM DVD's for now? I figured I would be ok because she targets all the muscles - abs, arms, shoulders, thighs...etc. It's not all legwork.

*pouts and sulks off to shower*

I would maybe cut the JM workout for now if you want to focus on the C25K and then re-introduce it once you feel like it you can do both again. When I first started C25k to my regular workout schedule, I felt really tired. It took me several wks to, "catch up." Now I feel ok working out 6x a wk, and actually feel bad that I take one day off, but basically there is usually at least one day where I don't get a chance to work out.

minnie-zb
04-29-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm with Hellokitty, listen to your body and do what feels right and stop if it is hurting. You might need more potassium than you are getting from one banana, try drinking oj too. It's a good source of potassium.

minnie-zb
04-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I just googled and found this article:

http://runningcramps.blogspot.com/

It looks like you might need more magnesium.

artvandalay
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I just googled and found this article:

http://runningcramps.blogspot.com/

It looks like you might need more magnesium.

Thanks guys. I'll probably put JM on the backburner for awhile.

I read the article, thank you. I just did a search on magnesium- rich foods. It mentions spinach.. I'm pretty good about eating spinach. I guess I'll buy more. Also I always have almonds on hand. I occasionally put them in my yogurt but I'll make sure to put them in more regularly.

I'll keep you guys updated. Perhaps I will try this run again on Sunday. I think my body doesn't want to move onto Week 5 because it's afraid of that 20 minute run! lol

BigDog
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I think my body doesn't want to move onto Week 5 because it's afraid of that 20 minute run! lol

Art - I have to do the 20 minute run today and I'm shaking in my boots. I'm trying to psyche myself up to go out there and get it done. The longer I wait, the greater the anxiety though... aaahhh!

artvandalay
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
So.. my calf is still sore this morning, just from running up and down stairs. I"m not going to attempt to run for at least another day or so.

I've been doing some reading online, I think what I have is actually a 'calf strain' because my calf didn't cramp up into a ball (I had that happen to me while pregnant) but instead had pretty bad pain and soreness into my calf during the exercise.

Here's what I read:
http://www.runnersrescue.com/Running_Calf_Pain_Strain_Injury.htm

It does mention a cause could be over-pronation. This is interesting. I have no idea how I run. I was told by someone once when running track that I "ran funny'. I should go to a running shoe store and have them analyze my running style.

In any case, I am really bummed. I was doing really well and enjoying the program. I hate that this is derailing me and breaking my momentum.

I might attempt to run again tomorrow. Maybe I'll drop down to Week 3. in any case, I will lower the incline and run slower. I guess a lesson that will be learned from this is to listen to your body, take it slow and don't push too hard.

minnie-zb
05-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Wk2 D2 -- I think I will be repeating week 2. I'm slowly getting better and did one full 90 seconds of running, but I don't think I will be ready to move on.

I'm feeling so much better about myself. Hope everyone else is off to a good start this Monday.

minnie-zb
05-02-2011, 10:53 AM
It does mention a cause could be over-pronation. This is interesting. I have no idea how I run. I was told by someone once when running track that I "ran funny'. I should go to a running shoe store and have them analyze my running style.

Before I started running I went to a store for runners and got fitted. They had me run (did this multiple times) and they asked several questions on any problems I was currently having or had in the past. Mine didn't do the treadmill style, but the actual running outside. There's a whole big debate on which is better, but you might want to do some reading before you pick a store. I found out I'm neutral and they helped me find a good shoe and I got to run in it too before buying.

artvandalay
05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Art - I have to do the 20 minute run today and I'm shaking in my boots. I'm trying to psyche myself up to go out there and get it done. The longer I wait, the greater the anxiety though... aaahhh!

Oh my gosh! How exciting!

The 20 minute run really intimidates me. Doesn't it seem like such a weird jump in the program? I don't know. Maybe it's not as bad as I am making it out to be.

I sort of feel like if I can conquer the 20 minute run, I will complete the program. It seems to be a big hurdle for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :cheerleader1:

artvandalay
05-02-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm feeling so much better about myself. Hope everyone else is off to a good start this Monday.

That's a really awesome feeling, isn't it? I've been feeling much better since I started exercising.

Thanks for the advice about the running store. I think I might need to do this. I want to get to the bottom of this problem.

BigDog
05-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh my gosh! How exciting!

The 20 minute run really intimidates me. Doesn't it seem like such a weird jump in the program? I don't know. Maybe it's not as bad as I am making it out to be.

I sort of feel like if I can conquer the 20 minute run, I will complete the program. It seems to be a big hurdle for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :cheerleader1:

Well, I did it! I can't believe I just ran for 20 minutes straight. After the 5 minute warm up walk I started my running and felt ok for the first 5 minutes. But by the second 5 minutes of running I was dragging. The devil on my shoulder started taking over saying "you can't do this, you can't do this". Somehow I managed to pull myself back together and by the third 5 minutes I was feeling good again, and then by the last 5 minutes I just kept thinking "I'm doing this!!!". Once I completed the 20 minutes of running, the British woman in my ear congratulated me and told me I could call myself a runner now. It was awesome! I'm a runner!

I agree with you though, it definitely is a huge hurdle. I kept thinking to myself, how am I supposed to go from running 8 minutes straight to running 20 minutes?? What happened to like 10 minutes? Or 15 minutes? I guess there's a reason why it's done that way. What's funny is that a few days ago I was thinking, "8 minutes - there's no way!". Now I'm thinking, "8 minutes - that's nothing!". :yay:

Come on, girls! We can do it!

hellokitty
05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
BigDog, WTG!!!! You did it! :)

Art, I'm sorry you're still hurting. I take a Calcium/Mag/Zinc supplement every day on top of my daily vitamins and feel that it helps a LOT with cramps. I started taking it while I was pregnant with DS3, b/c I kept having leg cramps in the middle of the night. So, maybe stop at the store to pick that up and add it to your daily routine.

Oh and the JM Shred it with Weights is REALLY good, but omg I was so sore after trying it on Friday (I did w5 d1 and then did the dvd), I was miserable on Saturday and on Sunday, I could have gone for a run, but we had too many activities and I didn't get a chance to go. I did it with a 15 lb kettle bell. I do feel I need to get some gloves though, to protect my wrists from bruising and b/c I was really afraid I was going to accidentally slip up and put a hole in the wall, lol.

I just had stroller class today (but we ran a LOT, instructor is pregnant, so she doesn't run with us, but barks out orders, which means she doesn't quite realize how much work she is making us do, b/c one mom totally cramped out and had to get her legs massaged out). After talking to some of the other moms in class, I think several of us are going to do a 5K together. Some of them did one this past wknd. The one I am aiming to do is the Red Dress one (for women's heart health), you're supposed to dress up in a red dress and run in that, but I'm not going to dress up, b/c I don't have a red dress and b/c I will be stressed out enough about having to run, to have to look like a fool too on top of it, lol. I won't be able to finish my C25K podcasts by then, I just hope that I can run at least 2/3 of it and not be the last one to finish, lol. It will be May 14, so it's coming up really fast. I think the key is to make sure you pace yourself running at a slow rate from the beginning, so you don't burn out mid-way through.

artvandalay
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah! That's awesome Big Dog!! You did it! I'll be interested to hear how the next few weeks are for you.

hellokitty - thanks for the info on the supplements. Also, what a cute idea wearing a red dress for the women's heart Red Dress 5k! I don't blame you for not wanting to wear one, though. I don't think I would do it if it were my first 'real' 5k. I'm going to be worried enough about finishing it!

minnie-zb
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Big Dog: Congratulations!! :cheerleader1: That's amazing!

artvandalay
05-05-2011, 08:33 AM
YES! Week 4 Day 3 in the bag! (Finally - my 3rd attempt) and no cramping! My calf got a tiny bit sore around 26 minutes but I finished it. I ran a little slower and used no incline. I am so happy! It felt GREAT to run. I finished it and truly felt like I could keep going.

I am planning to start Week 5 on Saturday so that I can run outside while DH watches the kiddos.

As a sidenote... I have a few friends who are runners. They are planning on doing a 10k in 6 weeks. It's a 5K walk/run and also a 10K. I mentioned to them that I am doing c25K, and now they want me to do it with them (5K obviously... they will keep going for the 10).

Part of me wishes I would have kept my mouth shut! I'm a little nervous to run my first real 5K with people that I know. I was hoping to do it incognito, or with my husband. I worry that my leg will cramp up again, or that I'm going to run out of steam or something.

hellokitty
05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Art, just do it. I think I am the only one in the group that is signing up, that has never done a 5K before. I've never even walked one before, even though I know I am completely capable of walking one. My friend said that there is a certain energy about 5K/10K, that really motivates and keeps you going and everyone is very supportive. So, don't feel like you aren't prepared. I'm not either. I would like to try to do w5 d2 today, but may not get a chance to, b/c DH is getting slammed at work and I have to be somewhere this evening too. So, I will be lucky to even finish w5 as my C25K prep before the one on the 14th that I'm going to do. You'll do fine, I am already expecting myself to walk/run it, but two of my friends did their first 5K last wknd w/o any prep and were able to run the entire thing, even though they kept saying they didn't think they would be able to do it. So, who knows? I'm glad you finished w4!

artvandalay
05-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks hellokitty. Yeah, I'm going to sign up. My husband is going to do it, too. I"m kind of excited. Can't wait to hear how your first 5k goes!

minnie-zb
05-06-2011, 12:45 PM
:bighand: For both of you -- I think that is great about the 5K.

artvandalay
05-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Alright! So I go to the park today, am excited to start week 5 and am pumped, whip out my phone, and to my horror realize I NEVER DOWNLOADED WK 5! UGH. I am really anal about doing this by the book and was super annoyed. So, I thought I would just repeat wk 4.

It felt really good to run and after the first 3 minute run she said to stop, I didn't want to stop. So, I then found some random playlist on my phone that is about 25 minutes long. I figured I would just run until I feel like stopping and then take a couple of brakes.

I think I ran around 8 minutes at first, then walked, then did around 10 minutes, then walked a bit, then finished with around 12 minutes. I"m not exactly positive because I borrowed DH's phone holster thingie and I couldn't look at my phone.

A few observations I made today:

1. I really prefer running outside than the treadmill. I like the scenery and the wind in my face. When I run on the treadmill I just stare at how many minutes I have left on the display. I figure once I can run about 30 minutes straight I can catch up on my Mad Men while on the treadmill, so at least that will distract me.

2. I like running in cool weather. It was a little chilly this morning and overcast. I was kinda cold for my 5 minute warmup, but after I started I realized it's the perfect running weather. I hate running in the heat.

3. I run too fast on my treadmill. I have no idea what my pace was outside. I don't have one of those fancy doo-hickeys to tell me my pace, but I know it was much, much slower than treadmill. I was running around 5.1 to 5.2 on treadmill, but only for the short intervals as the program recommends. I am usually a little winded by the time it's time to walk. There is no way I could have run the amount of minutes I did today while running at that fast of a pace. I will try running around 4.6 or 4.7 on treadmill next time and see what happens.

4. I can do this. I can complete this program and run the 5K. I realized this after running without anyone telling me when to run/when to stop and walk. Because I ran outside, I found a good, natural pace, and yeah, it was slow... but I felt like I could just keep going. I never feel like that on the treadmill (again- I think because I was going too fast and the scenery gets boring)

5. I really need new shoes.

Sorry for the long post! I just needed to get out all the observations in my head! I will start the 'official' week 5 on Monday.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

hellokitty
05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Art, that's awesome! You did so well, and didn't even know you could do it! That's what happened to me when I accidentally used the podcast w/o any prompting, I just winged it and did better than I thought I'd do. I agree, that running outdoors is easier, it keeps your mind off of things (nothing worse than clock watching, kwim?), and yeah I HATE hot weather, so I know I will have to do my runs in the morning or evenings too. That is so cool your DH is going to run it with you. Last night my DH bragged to me that he could run a 5K right now (he is an ex-jock, but very out of shape right now) w/o any training. I don't think he could do it, but whatever. He wouldn't need that much training, maybe just a wk or two, b/c he ran track and played football when he was younger, so running has always been easy for him. However, I know him and he'd probably cramp up mid-way if he had to do one right now w/o any prep at all.

Well, I never got a chance to do w5d2, so today just decided to skip it and do w5d3 (20 min straight) and did just fine. Tomorrow, I am getting together with a friend to do a mock run on the trail that the 5K for next wknd. We won't run fast, but our goal is to try to run the entire thing. I hope we do ok. There were a group of moms who went this morning at friggin' 6:30am and they invited me to go, but I am not getting up that early just to run (I was up at 5am, b/c DS2 peed his bed, which pisses me off, b/c it is the first night DS3 did not wake up at 4am, this entire wk) and it also rained during their run, lol. They are bad ass though, they run like gazelles and I run like barney, so if I would have went with them, I would have been left back in the dust. However, they told me that on the trail, there is a spot with an arrow that indicates the halfway pt where we will need to turn around, so at least I will know that for tomorrow's run and we won't have to use a gps to try to figure out mileage. My friend tomorrow is more out-of-shape than I am, so I feel like we're more at the same level, compared to the gazelles.

artvandalay
05-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks hellokitty. I"m starting to think much of this is mental. I don't think we realize how much our bodies are capable of.

It's great that you can do the mock run. That will really give you an idea for next week.

And visualizing this made me laugh:

They are bad ass though, they run like gazelles and I run like barney, ..

But what you said about the 'gazelles' reminds me of my friends doing the 10k. They are pretty hardcore. One of them runs really, really fast, too.

hellokitty
05-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks hellokitty. I"m starting to think much of this is mental. I don't think we realize how much our bodies are capable of.

It's great that you can do the mock run. That will really give you an idea for next week.

And visualizing this made me laugh:

But what you said about the 'gazelles' reminds me of my friends doing the 10k. They are pretty hardcore. One of them runs really, really fast, too.

I think you are right. So much of it is mental. Also, like pp said (bigdog?), at a certain point, it suddenly gets easier. Yeah, I am not kidding when I say that the other women are like gazelles. They run like the wind. I feel like I kind of clunk along. Even my DH makes fun of the way I run. So, I probably do resemble barney, but not as purple, usually I wear pink. :D

minnie-zb
05-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Art & Kitty -- you are both doing really, really well! :cheerleader1:

I'm definitely the tortoise to your hares. :)

hellokitty
05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
How did everyone do this wknd? I did a mock run with my friend yesterday morning (surprisingly, it was very nice to just run and chat with my friend, kid free and the trail was dead, b/c who runs on mother's day, lol?). I couldn't find the mile markers for the race, BUT we ran... 45 min straight!!! Yeah, I can't believe it! We were slow but steady. So, I think we will do fine, and I suspect that we ran more than 5K. We won't be winning any races, but my goal is basically to run and finish the 5K, so if I can swing that, I will be very happy. My friend and I did well encouraging one another to keep going. I bought a red top at target to wear on the day of the race, but now the stroller moms are wanting to get matching tank tops with our stroller class logo printed on them, so if we can swing it, that may be our, "uniform" for our run. My friend who ran with me yesterday though, bought a dress at VOA that she is going to wear, I don't think most of the other moms in my group will want to wear a dress while running. I have a red dress that I dug up, but the material is one that would make me feel really uncomfortable if I get sweaty in it.

Oh and Art, I was venting about my mil to my friend during our run and she told me, "you need to think about your mil when you run for the 5k, b/c you have sped up and I can barely keep up!" LMAO, it reminded me of what you posted on my bitch thread.

The good thing is that we enjoyed the run so much, that we are thinking about doing it every Sunday morning. We rarely get to hang out with one another w/o the kids, so it was like getting exercise and girl time all in one activity.

WolfpackMom
05-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Wow you guys are kicking butt!
I did w4d2 today...yes a week after I did d1. I was both sick and working long hours last week. Then dh left town so I had no one to watch ds while I ran and I was too lazy to push him. I'll prob do an extra w4 day because the week off messed me up and it was hard today.
Planet fitess is running a deal to join for $10 and pay $10 a month. I'm thinking about joining just for the summer because it's getting really hot (and allergy filled) outside.

We will see! I'm feeling unmotivated today but I may go out again this evening. I'm aiming for the Komen 5k in June but I'm not sure I'll be ready by then.

artvandalay
05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
hellokitty.... you ran 45 minutes straight?! Holy carp! That's awesome! You will no doubt do fantastic next week! And it's nice you can meet up with your friend for a weekend run sans kids.

wolfpackmom.... that is the best deal on a gym membership I've ever heard of... you should totally take advantage of that deal! I would! Def. sign up for the race. I am signing up for one in June as well.

So I started the 'official' Week 5 yesterday on my treadmill. The weather is getting nicer here and I soooo wanted to run outside, but I don't have a babysitter. I ran slower - 4.7 and no problems at all. I know I said I would hold off on doing some weight training until after c25k but my arms need some toninig. I wore a strapless dress for a wedding on Saturday and all I kept focusing on was my arms! I really need to do something.... so I might hit up No More Trouble Zones again today if I get a chance.

Oh.. and I think after I drop munchkin #2 off at preschool this morning I might take the baby and head to Fleet Feet and get new shoes. I hope they don't cost an arm and a leg!

minnie-zb
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Soooo, I ended my 2nd session of wk2 today. I'm moving on to week 3 on Thursday -- although 3 minutes of running!?!!!! Scary stuff.

I didn't want to run today, I didn't sleep well last night. My husband is on a business trip for the week and my 18 yo cat is essentially in hospice care (that would be me). I'm trying to get him through the week so I don't have to euthanize and bury him without my husband. I'm going to be a mess. He's not in any pain but I can tell he's slowing down a bit every day. I'm giving him subcutaneous fluids every other day and it helps and he's still eating. Sorry, I know I'm rambling, but this is weighing heavily on me this week.

On a completely different note (and to show how manic I am this week), has anyone ordered from Athleta? They have some cute stuff and I'm thinking of ordering a couple of things. I really like this skort: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46807&vid=1&pid=819678
I need something to run in now the weather is getting nicer. Oh, and ebates is offering 12% right now.

mm123
05-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok, you've all totally inspired me, and I got off my butt, and did W1, D1 last night. It wasn't bad at all. I used the Chubby Jones podcast on my Ipod, and went out after the girls went to bed around 7:30. I was tired (as always!), but I figured if I don't do it now, I never will!

A few questions:

- Any tricks for keeping the earbuds in while you're running? My right one kept on popping out- really annoying.

- None of my workout clothes have pockets. Do you all run with ID, and if so, how do you 'attach' it to yourself?

- It's supposed to get rainy at the end of the week. Do you all run in the rain, and if you do, any tips? If you don't run in the rain, and you can't get in your 3 runs, do you just repeat the whole week over again? I don't have a treadmill at home, and getting to the gym would be pretty complicated right now.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

artvandalay
05-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Ok, you've all totally inspired me, and I got off my butt, and did W1, D1 last night. It wasn't bad at all. I used the Chubby Jones podcast on my Ipod, and went out after the girls went to bed around 7:30. I was tired (as always!), but I figured if I don't do it now, I never will!

A few questions:

- Any tricks for keeping the earbuds in while you're running? My right one kept on popping out- really annoying.

- None of my workout clothes have pockets. Do you all run with ID, and if so, how do you 'attach' it to yourself?

- It's supposed to get rainy at the end of the week. Do you all run in the rain, and if you do, any tips? If you don't run in the rain, and you can't get in your 3 runs, do you just repeat the whole week over again? I don't have a treadmill at home, and getting to the gym would be pretty complicated right now.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Welcome!:waving4:

You will really enjoy c25K. It seems daunting at first but it does get easier... and you will be so proud of yourself in the coming weeks! Just keep at it, and let us know your progress or any problems.

To answer your question about the earbuds, I had the regular kind and they popped right out. I got these from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-As20J-Active-Headphones-Hangers/dp/B0015AHRFK

and they don't budge at all. The sound is really good, too. I'm using Chubby Jones as well and really like it.

My husband has something called a "Tune Belt". Amazon carries it. It goes around your upper arm and fits your phone and your ID. I use it when I run outdoors.

artvandalay
05-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I didn't want to run today, I didn't sleep well last night. My husband is on a business trip for the week and my 18 yo cat is essentially in hospice care (that would be me). I'm trying to get him through the week so I don't have to euthanize and bury him without my husband. I'm going to be a mess. He's not in any pain but I can tell he's slowing down a bit every day. I'm giving him subcutaneous fluids every other day and it helps and he's still eating. Sorry, I know I'm rambling, but this is weighing heavily on me this week.

Oh no minnie... I'm so sorry :hug:. I hope he makes it through until your husband gets home.

artvandalay
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh, and I wanted to add: That skort is interesting. I would have never thought to run a skort. Do you think it's comfortable? It is cute.

Right now I am running in shorts and some lightweight, breathable tank tops that I bought from Target awhile back - Champion or C9 I think?

mikala
05-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Kudos to all of you continuing w/ the program! I'm on a short hiatus while I battle a sinus infection but hope to be back to whenever I can breathe through my nose again.

Re: the skort, I don't have that one but wear one from Target from a year or two ago and it's great. Small pocket for keys/ID, flattering and very comfortable.

ETA: Minnie, sorry to hear about your cat! :(

minnie-zb
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Welcome mm123! :waving4:

My earbuds fall out sometimes, but they stay in fairly well. Rain: I haven't run in the rain. I would either do it later in the day if it stops or go the next day.

Skort: I likey. I have no idea what it would be like to run in, but I really like the fact the pattern is reflective and I think this summer I'm going to try and run early in the morning before it gets hot (and before my husband heads to work). I also found these shorts which I like: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=59019&vid=1&pid=831149

Thanks everyone for understanding about my cat.

artvandalay
05-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Guess What???
Mama got a new pair of shoes!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/13265991/23619062/396665930.jpg

WHAT WHAT

Went to Fleet Feet yesterday. Stuck dd in the stroller and loaded her snack trap up with snacks while the guy did measurements on my feet and watched me walk/run. I told him I didn't want to spend more than $100. He said I run with a slight pronation and need mild stability in my shoes.

I felt like Goldilocks. He brought out 3 pairs. The first had a ton of arch support but the fit wasn't right. The second had a great cushioning in the heel (I also have plantar fasciatis so this is a must) but I still wanted to try the 3rd pair. The 3rd pair was perfect! Had great support all over and great cushioning in the heel. They were $100. I came home and looked it up online and they were pretty much the same price, so I didn't overpay (I was worried about this). I tried on my old shoes and then these new ones... there is a BIG difference in the amount of support. I can't wait to take them for a test drive! They have a 90 day return policy, too, which is nice. I have never spent this much money on running shoes before... it will be interesting to see how they perform and if it helps my calf problem (which I read could be caused by overpronation and these shoes have a grey part on the insides that are supposed to correct that).

It was weird not picking out a pair without seeing them first. I usually look for a style based on looks first, then try them on. I told myself I was going to get the best fitting/supportive and not pay so much attention to looks but I lucked out that I happen to really like how these look.

Oh, and he told me I need a size 10 (!). I've never worn a size 10 in my life... I felt like Bigfoot! But he explained how I need more room in the toebox. I'm glad I went in. They also have a bunch of running clinics and fun things going on, and I signed up on their email list. Yay!

BigDog
05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Art, those shoes are fierce!!! I bet you'll be running like the wind! Keep us posted on your first run with the new sneaks.

I finished w6 the other day and will be starting w7 tomorrow. I can't believe I've made it to week 7. I work from home and have been running early in the morning or during my lunch break, but I just found out that I'm losing my job so I'll be a SAHM now with a 3.5yr old and 8mo old - not sure when I'll be able to get my runs in. I don't have a treadmill so I run outside. I have a double jogger but I can't imagine running and pushing two DC - I'll be back to running 90 seconds again!

BTW, I forget who posted about running on a treadmill v. running outside, but as I was doing my run the other day I was thinking to myself how I would never be able to survive c25k if I were running on a treadmill. I'd be staring at the clock the entire time and it would be agony. I also realized that I really need to under-dress when running outside. I may look silly getting out of the car in shorts and a tank when it's only 55-60 degrees, but once I start running, it's all good. The cooler I am, the better!

minnie-zb
05-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Woo-Hoo!! New Shoes! :jammin:

Don't feel bad -- I went up a half-size on my shoes too. I'm an 8.5 on my running shoes....

WolfpackMom
05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I tried those same shoes on! I went with a slightly different version - trail running ones of those because they had a little more support.

I went ahead and joined the gym for the summer, $10 a month I can deal with to get out of the heat.

Minnie- sorry about your cat, and Bigdog sorry about your job. Hopefully the exercise will provide some stress relief for you both! Thats what I am hoping for for me!

artvandalay
05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
So this is funny, DH keeps his running shoes by the treadmill. I never paid any attention to them. I looked at them and he has the same shoes (just in mens) as the ones I just bought!

So I did Week 5 day two the other day. I think there was one (or two?) 8 minute runs. I did them fine... new shoes felt pretty good.

So next up is Day 3 of Week 5 ... and it's the 20 minute run. 20 minutes straight!! I do not want to do this on the treadmill. I have a feeling I am just going to stare at my minutes on the display. We have such a busy weekend coming up (including a much needed trip to the salon for me!) but I'm going to try and squeeze in that run outside. I know it's mental but I feel doing it outside is going to make it easier for me.

artvandalay
05-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I
I went ahead and joined the gym for the summer, $10 a month I can deal with to get out of the heat.

You will love it for the summer. You really cannot go wrong for $10/mo.

BigDog I am sorry about your job.

minnie-zb
05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Today: Wk3Dy1 -- I ran for 3 minutes straight! Woo-Hoo! :yay:

Art: You can do it!

Bigdog -- I'm sorry about your job. I was laid off over a year ago and it is a weird feeling. I hope you are doing okay and you find a job quickly if that is what you want (and/or need).

hellokitty
05-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Sounds like all of you are doing great!

Art, which asics are those? I got the nimbus 12 with an additional shoe insert and LOVE them. They have made a huge difference, so I hope that it helps you.

Well, my 5K is tomorrow. I did a 25 min run this morning as prep, and b/c I notice that I do better if I run/exercise every day, rather than taking a day off in btwn, sometimes I feel sluggish after a day off. I could have run longer, but figured I better not push my limit and end up too sore for tomorrow. I need to do a better job stretching before and after.

artvandalay
05-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Way to go Minnie!

Art, which asics are those? I got the nimbus 12 with an additional shoe insert and LOVE them. They have made a huge difference, so I hope that it helps you.

Well, my 5K is tomorrow. I did a 25 min run this morning as prep, and b/c I notice that I do better if I run/exercise every day, rather than taking a day off in btwn, sometimes I feel sluggish after a day off. I could have run longer, but figured I better not push my limit and end up too sore for tomorrow. I need to do a better job stretching before and after.

They are the GT-2160. Good luck tomorrow, you're going to do great! :cheerleader1: Fill us in with all the details!

OH! Guess what I just found in Marshalls'? I was just in there and in the mens' section I found a couple of running arm phone cases. I picked up a Nike one for $7.99. It fits my phone and ID perfectly! So glad I don't have to borrow DH's anymore.

mm123
05-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Did w1d2 last night, and it went great. I was very proud of myself- it started raining half way through, and I KEPT GOING!

Quick question about stretching. How much/which ones do you all do after running? I've googled 'running stretches', and there seem to be a lot of different opinions on how much to stretch and which stretches are the best. Anyone care to share a good link/routine they've used? How long do you generally stretch for?

Thanks!

SoloMelody
05-13-2011, 07:40 PM
You all have me motivated, have been meaning to run a 5K for a while. Had been running 15 min couple of times a week

Will start this weekend.
Goal
- run the http://www.seejanerun.com/t-See-Jane-Run-SEATTLE-Half-Marathon-and-5K.aspx
- Get fit, loose some flab and tone up. Loose 6-10 lbs
- wear swim suit with confidence

Reward
- new swimsuit wear http://www.amazon.com/Freya-Supernova-Tankini-Swimwear-Buckle/dp/B0036D7UOW/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1305329977&sr=1-5
- new clothes
- take a vacation to some place warm/hot with a beach in Sept/Oct

jenfromnj
05-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi all! I'm so sorry I haven't been posting, I've been ignoring the boards way too much lately, since my 10 hour per week job has ended up being more like 30-40 hours per week these days. Which would be ok if we had more than 5 hours per week of childcare, but that's a post for a different board. Finally taking a breather and wanted to check in.

But I've been keeping up (mostly!) with c25k--I did repeat and skip a couple of days, so I'm 2/3 through week 4 now--who ever thought that running for 3 minutes could be so hard? The only good thing about getting up at 4:45am to do it during the week to walk/run is that it's still dark outside and my neighborhood is still asleep, so none of my neighbors have to witness the atrocity.

Definitely wishing I was in better shape already! Hopefully this will be a reminder to me to not let myself get this "couch" again.

My goals are:
- Complete a 5k--there's a popular race around here in November, so I think that will give me enough time to really be in racing form, LOL.
- Lose weight--I'd ideally love to get to where I was 10 years ago, though I'm not sure if that's realistic.
- Be committed to a fitness routine--through law school, I was pretty committed to exercising, but then I let work and then DS take priority. I am realizing now that my being in shape IS really important and will make me the best mom (and employee) I can be. That's really the reward I'm hoping for.

cckwmh
05-14-2011, 10:11 PM
joining into the grou-. i am midway through week 3 of c25k. my goal is to complete a sprint triathlon sept 11th. my first 5k will be around the 4th of july I think. need to find some warm weather running clothes that hide my thighs. any recs??

artvandalay
05-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Did w1d2 last night, and it went great. I was very proud of myself- it started raining half way through, and I KEPT GOING!

Quick question about stretching. How much/which ones do you all do after running? I've googled 'running stretches', and there seem to be a lot of different opinions on how much to stretch and which stretches are the best. Anyone care to share a good link/routine they've used? How long do you generally stretch for?

Thanks!

Way to go!

Regarding stretching, I usually do the first 5 of these:

http://runningmatemedia.com/stretching/

I don't know how long you are supposed to do it. I usually just hold the stretch for about 10 seconds and then repeat the stretch for another 10 seconds before moving to the next one.

artvandalay
05-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Welcome solomedley and cckwmh! Glad to have you join us.

I finished week 5 and did the 20 minute run! I'm so proud of myself! I had to do it on my treadmill, the weather is really cold and rainy this weekend. I didn't want to do it on the treadmill, but I kept making little bargains with myself - I would say "ok, I need to make it to 10 minutes" and then a little while later " I have to make it to 15 minutes", etc. I did this and it helped.

I hate staring down at the display and need to train myself to look ahead, but there's only a blank wall there. The tv is slightly off to the side but I'm not watching it because I"m listening to the podcast.

So I'm thinking of putting something on the wall to inspire me/keep my eyes off looking down at the display. I thought about putting a picture of me on my honeymoon when I was really skinny and fit.. or perhaps a picture of the bathing suit that I want or a copy of the 5k race form that I want to run.

Of course I could always put this:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/13265991/23619062/396747677.jpg

because I could stare at him ALL DAY but my kids and husband might find it a little weird.

ETA: jenfromnj: you are doing awesome! Kudos to you for waking up so early. Sometimes I think it would be much easier for me to wake up extra early in the morning before everyone gets up so that I can get my exercising out of the way. But DD is still waking up during the night (last night only once) and I'm pretty tired in the morning. I think when she starts to sleep through the night I will wake up before everyone in the house and exercise then.

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
hellokitty.... how did your race go??

hellokitty
05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Ugh, did you read my post on the Friday the 13th bitch thread? After I put the kids down on Friday night for bed, I basically spent the entire night in the bathroom with either food poisoning or some nasty GI bug. I had to bail on my poor friend who had agreed to do this with me the morning of, b/c I was too weak and dehydrated (plus, still having to use the bathroom a lot) to do the 5K. :irked: Seriously, what are the chances that I would become violently ill 12 hrs before the race? I'm so annoyed. 6 wks of training, plus I pre-paid my registration and feel like an idiot for saying I was going to do it and then couldn't. Grrr!

There is another 5K coming up on June 11th that I am going to try to do with my friend (who finished in 35 min and placed 67 overall, which is good news to me, b/c I am a bit faster than her, so I know I would have done at least as well as she did). AND, my DH said he is thinking that he may train and join me. :) So, anyway, sorry to give you such underwhelming news. My stomach still isn't quite right, but I'm leaving for stroller class now.

minnie-zb
05-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Hellokitty -- that stinks! I hope you are feeling better now, but there's no way you could have run. The June 11th race sounds good.

I ran yesterday, but messed up -- I was supposed to be on Wk3Dy2, but accidentally did Wk1Dy1 -- It was wild! So, tomorrow back to Wk3Dy2.

We had a crazy weekend. We ended up putting our cat to sleep last Friday. It was time and we miss him oodles, but it was the right decision. Then there was a tragedy on our street (one of our neighbors died unexpectedly). We also found out good friends are moving this summer. Oh, and we had a rabid fox yesterday morning on our street. Yep, I was exhausted by last night.

Welcome to solomedley and cckwmh! :wavey: Our group is growing.

minnie-zb
05-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Art -- you are funny! I don't think you want to have to explain the photo to your kids. :)

jenfromnj
05-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds like everyone is doing great in spite of some obstacles!

Hellokitty, hope you're feeling completely better soon, and kudos for getting out and going even though you're not 100%>

Art, I might just keep this page open on my iphone so i can look at that pic while I'm running (or "running").

And speaking of "running", I had a rough go of it last night (new sneakers gave me a blister, and it started raining about 10 minutes in, also I ate an inhuman amount of pancakes at brunch), and was walking slooowly for a cooldown as I got close to home. One of my neighbors (who I know only to say hello to, that's it), actually slowed her car down and asked if I wanted a ride the rest of the way home (which was the distance of about 300 feet, LOL). That might be my most embarassing moment in this so far--and another very good reason to get either a treadmill or a gym membership!

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Oh no hellokitty......that sucks. I can imagine you were really dissapointed. I hope you are feeling better soon.

hellokitty
05-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Art, thanks. I am feeling better, but my stomach is still not quite right. I think something is going around. Another stroller mom who ran the 5K, also got the same thing I got, but she must have gotten it through her system sooner than I did, in order to run the race. And I am hearing friends locally post about their kids coming down with the stomach flu, so blah. I hope nobody else in the family gets it. DH had some GI discomfort earlier in the wk, but it was nothing as bad as mine. Maybe he gave me something. BTW, WTG finishing wk5! I think it is a defining moment when you realize that you CAN run for that long of a distance, even though you never would have imagined you could. :) I have to say it's such a great self esteem booster to do wk 5, don't ya think? Oh and about the pic as motivation, hey, whatever works! :p Oh and two of our stroller moms won 2nd placed (tied) for their age division!!! Yes, they are the gazelles. The queen gazelle of them though, ran a cleveland 1/2 marathon this past wknd! :bowdown:

Jen, I'm sorry you got a blister in your new shoes. Make sure your socks are thick enough and toenails are trimmed short. I usually wear thicker socks, but last wk, I wore a pr or thin socks with my asics and I felt like I was getting a blister in the middle of class. Also, there is a product you can get at D*ck's sporting goods called, "body glide," it helps with chaffing and blisters. I love that stuff! For both my feet and arm/thigh areas. Get some, it is worth the $10. It looks like a stick of deodorant (DH swears it's probably the same thing and I am getting ripped off), and it is over at the front of the cashier, just ask where it is when you go into the store, b/c it's one of those small things you don't want to waste your time trying to locate on your own. And lol, poor you and the car ride offer. What a cute story, don't feel embarrassed, I think it's always nice to see ppl trying to get fit. I hope your feet feel better soon.

Minnie, I'm so sorry about your cat and all the other bad news lately. Hoping things will look up for you.

BD, WTG on finishing wk 6!!! Sorry about the job situation.

Welcome to the newbies starting out. You'll do great, I cannot stress how much I love the C25K program and how well paced it is for those of us who started out as beginners with this whole running thing.

wolverine2
05-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to say good job to all of you!

I did it last year and got sick for my 1st 5k, missing it, and so my first race was a 4mile last fall, and it felt fantastic! (I never even finished the last 2 weeks of C25k)

Anyway, I need to jump back in somewhere in the program. I didn't maintain the running all winter b/c I hate the treadmill. I did a 5k last Saturday with very little training and it felt awful. (And I had to walk part).

I'm going to jump back in mid-way through the training and try again! I want to do a 10K in the fall.

Anyway, awesome job to you all! Keep it up!

SoloMelody
05-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I started :cheerleader1: this thread motivated me to start this. Had been procrastinating toooo long.

So W1D1 was on saturday, I was able to get thru it without major huffing and puffing. After effects sunday morning some sore muscles (the good kind IYKWIM) and then it was gone, I feel great.

W1D2 is today and I recruited a friend to train with at train during lunch hour :bighand: and run the 5K with me.

Question, Can I skip a workout from the first two weeks?
I mean, not do W1D3 and jump to W2D1. skip W2D3 and move on to the next week.

Basically I am targeting a 5K in mid july and fear that I may need to repeat harder training sessions in W7 onwards. I would gain myself that extra week if I need it by shortening W1 and W2 (as I am not super tired after them)

Anybody done this? Is this ok?

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Yay for starting Solomelody! Isn't it fun?

Regarding skipping the 3rd days: I would not do it. The program is built in a way that it builds up your endurance. If you skip the 3rd day and advance it might not be good for your body. If you're worried about the 5k, perhaps you can run every other day instead of 3 days a week, or, just continue the program as directed - 3 days a week and when your 5K comes up just do whatever week you are on during the 5k, or (what I would suggest) just run and see how you do. The excitement and energy from the crowd might surprise you and you might do better than you thought! If you read back in one of my previous posts, I went to run at the park and forgot to download my podcast, so I just ran without anyone telling me when to run/walk, and I surprised myself, I did really well.

I have a 5k in one month. I should have started Week 6 today, but I wanted to repeat Week 5 Day 3 (the 20 minute run). I wanted to make sure that I really felt comfortable running the 20 minutes, and I did it without any problems. I think part of me just couldn't really believe that I actually ran it the other day!

artvandalay
05-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Just wanted to say good job to all of you!

I did it last year and got sick for my 1st 5k, missing it, and so my first race was a 4mile last fall, and it felt fantastic! (I never even finished the last 2 weeks of C25k)

Anyway, I need to jump back in somewhere in the program. I didn't maintain the running all winter b/c I hate the treadmill. I did a 5k last Saturday with very little training and it felt awful. (And I had to walk part).

I'm going to jump back in mid-way through the training and try again! I want to do a 10K in the fall.

Anyway, awesome job to you all! Keep it up!

Thanks! Feel free to chime in anytime on this thread since you've BTDT... I can't wait until I can say I'm a c25k graduate!
How are you training for your 10K?

wolverine2
05-17-2011, 08:13 AM

Question, Can I skip a workout from the first two weeks?
I mean, not do W1D3 and jump to W2D1. skip W2D3 and move on to the next week.

Basically I am targeting a 5K in mid july and fear that I may need to repeat harder training sessions in W7 onwards. I would gain myself that extra week if I need it by shortening W1 and W2 (as I am not super tired after them)

Anybody done this? Is this ok?

I think at the beginning when the spurts are so short, you could skip a day (especially if you're already in a little shape), but I wouldn't skip much. Just FYI though, I never finished the last 2 weeks of the program but ran my first race which was 4 miles, and I felt fine. I think once you get to running 25 minutes at a time consistently, running 10 or 15 more isn't that big a deal. So don't worry if your 5k is before you finish the program. You'll be surprised at how well you can do.

hellokitty
05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I think at the beginning when the spurts are so short, you could skip a day (especially if you're already in a little shape), but I wouldn't skip much. Just FYI though, I never finished the last 2 weeks of the program but ran my first race which was 4 miles, and I felt fine. I think once you get to running 25 minutes at a time consistently, running 10 or 15 more isn't that big a deal. So don't worry if your 5k is before you finish the program. You'll be surprised at how well you can do.

I agree with this. I pushed myself harder at the beginning sometimes when I felt that it was too easy. And then I only finished wk 5 and fast tracked it by running 45 min with my friend a wk before the 5K. Too bad I never got to run the actual 5K, but using my friend as a comparison (I'm probably one notch more in shape than she is), she did just fine. So, I think if you feel like you can do it, try it. However, if it's too hard, don't hesitate to go back and repeat a level.

Wolverine, that's great that you have finished the program before and I can't help but laugh that you got sick before your first 5K too!

I am organizing our moms club right now to run another 5K together in sept. I picked sept, so it gives ppl who want to train a few months to do it. Plus the kids get to do a 1/2 mile race too.

artvandalay
05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Oh, I read your post wrong Solomelody.. I thought you wanted to skip the 3rd workouts of every week. Didn't see that you meant just the first two weeks. I agree, you'd probably be fine, but wouldn't skip more than that.

I've been eating terrible lately. Went to bw3 for dinner last night and feel really gross today. I don't even want to think about the stuff I ate there. I ran yesterday so I wasn't planning on running again today... but maybe I'll pop in a workout video or something today.

minnie-zb
05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Everyone is doing really, really well. I'm impressed and you are all keeping me motivated!

Today: Wk3Dy2 -- not shabby, I don't think I'll be repeating this week! :bighand:

I started kettlenetics yesterday and I was sore when I got up this morning. Yowser.

artvandalay
05-17-2011, 11:53 AM
I started kettlenetics yesterday and I was sore when I got up this morning. Yowser.

I totally wanted this! I even gave my DH the link to it from Amazon hoping he might get it for me for Mother's Day (they got me other stuff instead).

You got the one with the little 4 pound kbell, right? I kept wondering how such a little weight would be effective, but the reviews are pretty good, saying it's a great workout because of the cardio involved. It looks fun.

Tell me more about it.

minnie-zb
05-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I totally wanted this! I even gave my DH the link to it from Amazon hoping he might get it for me for Mother's Day (they got me other stuff instead).

You got the one with the little 4 pound kbell, right? I kept wondering how such a little weight would be effective, but the reviews are pretty good, saying it's a great workout because of the cardio involved. It looks fun.

Tell me more about it.

FYI: It is discounted at Gaiam right now:

http://www.gaiam.com/product/slim+tone+kettlenetics+set.do?from=Search

I like it. I started the program last year and stopped, so this is my second go and I think it is really good. You really get a work out and it uses muscles I don't typically exercise or use. I've only tried the 20 minute program, but it gets your heart rate going and I was sore today. I could really feel it in my thighs, buttocks, sides of my stomach and my lower back. One good thing is you can upgrade your kbell when this one gets easy. My husband even does this DVD and he thinks it is good. If there's something specific you want to know, just ask and I will try to help.

BigDog
05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
FYI: It is discounted at Gaiam right now:

http://www.gaiam.com/product/slim+tone+kettlenetics+set.do?from=Search

I like it. I started the program last year and stopped, so this is my second go and I think it is really good. You really get a work out and it uses muscles I don't typically exercise or use. I've only tried the 20 minute program, but it gets your heart rate going and I was sore today. I could really feel it in my thighs, buttocks, sides of my stomach and my lower back. One good thing is you can upgrade your kbell when this one gets easy. My husband even does this DVD and he thinks it is good. If there's something specific you want to know, just ask and I will try to help.

Oooh, this looks interesting. I might have to get it. I need some strength training since all I really do is cardio. Are there lots of floor exercises that you have to do because for some reason I'm not motivated by videos where I know I've got to get down on the floor. With that said though, I really need to do something that targets my flabby stomach. I've never had a flat stomach in my life but after two kids it's a mega muffin. I forced myself to sign up for a bootcamp-type class but that doesn't start until June (btw, I'm scared!!).

Anyhow, I completed week 7 today. It sucked. I run outside and this was the first time that I ran in the rain. Normally I'd push it off a day if it were raining, but it's been raining here all week (and I was due to run yesterday and pushed it off!) so I figured I'd better get out there and just do it. So it was cold, windy, wet, I felt like my lungs were going to explode, and I was listening to a new playlist that DH made for me which was just throwing me off my game. It was a sucky "run" - there were a few times today where you could've called it a "speedy walk". But I finished. On to week 8.

minnie-zb
05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Bigdog -- No floor exercises! :) I hate them too. It goes really, really quick too. I think she does a nice job -- I'm not one of those people who can do complex routines and she keeps it pretty straightforward and gives you plenty of notice on changes.

mm123
05-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I did w2d1 yesterday. Even though the running intervals only increased by 30 sec, for some reason I found it quite a bit harder.

Also, I got a pretty bad stitch in my side about half way through. Anyone know what causes these stitches, and how I might avoid it next time?

Thanks!

minnie-zb
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
mm123 -- it is amazing how much difference 30 seconds can make. I run outside and what I do is think I can make it to the next mailbox, car, etc. I try to focus on that and once I get there than I pick another goal. It works pretty well -- sometimes better than others.

I haven't had a problem with stitches, but if you google I bet you will find lots of tips.

artvandalay
05-18-2011, 01:17 PM
mm123, yeah, some days are just harder for some reason. I think some of it is mental. I don't get side stitches (but my sister always gets them). I'd probably do some searching online.....you might need to stretch more would be my only guess.

Did Week 6 Day1 today. Felt really good. I am really loving this program. Another discovery - I need new shorts. The longer I run I realize I need better shorts. They were getting bunched up in my 'crotchital' area...lol. I think I need to find a different material.

I saw the shorts posted here recently from Athletica. They look good, but I don't like to order shoes/clothes from places where I can't return them to a store/or have to pay return shipping. I checked Athletica's return policy and there's a $6 deduction when you return stuff, and that turned me off.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I will probably head to Dick's or MC Sports one of these days.

WolfpackMom
05-18-2011, 03:51 PM
I've been taking a break from the boards lately but wanted to check in on you all! Sounds like everyone is doing awesome! I'm on Week 5 now. Running on the treadmill has been easier for me and I like seeing how far I've gone...but that also makes me obsessed with going further and faster. :) I added some extra running onto the end of today's last run and survived so I'm hoping the 20 min session won't knock me out!

keep it up ladies!

artvandalay
05-19-2011, 09:24 AM
I've been taking a break from the boards lately but wanted to check in on you all! Sounds like everyone is doing awesome! I'm on Week 5 now. Running on the treadmill has been easier for me and I like seeing how far I've gone...but that also makes me obsessed with going further and faster. :) I added some extra running onto the end of today's last run and survived so I'm hoping the 20 min session won't knock me out!

keep it up ladies!

The 20 min run worried me, but I nailed it.. You will, too! It's a mental game. Your body is ready because of all your c25k training. Let us know how it goes!

BigDog
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Another discovery - I need new shorts. The longer I run I realize I need better shorts. They were getting bunched up in my 'crotchital' area...lol. I think I need to find a different material.

I saw the shorts posted here recently from Athletica. They look good, but I don't like to order shoes/clothes from places where I can't return them to a store/or have to pay return shipping. I checked Athletica's return policy and there's a $6 deduction when you return stuff, and that turned me off.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I will probably head to Dick's or MC Sports one of these days.

Art - I'm not a "short" short wearer but, when it comes to running in warm weather, I've found that they're necessary (and the shorter the better)! I bought a few different pairs and my favorite are the Nike Tempo Track running shorts.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2430385&cp=11443755&ab=MYOAS_WomensApparelShortsCMS_NikeTempoShorts&parentPage=family

hellokitty
05-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Art, WTG!!!! :) I understand the frustration with bunched up shorts, I am looking for ones that don't bunch up either and basically, I probably need to get shorter shorts in order for that to happen.

minnie-zb
05-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Today: WK3DY3 -- eek, I'm a little nervous about week 4.

Question: Those of you keep moving forward to the next week, are you always able to run the entire distance by the end of day 3? Or are you still pushing and trying to do it?

jenfromnj
05-19-2011, 06:33 PM
After the past 2 sessions in the rain this week, I'm happy to see the forecast here for the weekend will be a little better! I am laying the groundwork with DH to maybe get a treadmill, I think it will be nice to know exactly how fast/far I'm running, and not to deal with the rain/heat/cold/traffic.

I'm jealous of those of you who run in shorts. I am sticking to workout capris for now, my legs are much too glowing white and untoned to subject anyone to that sight! (I guess that's another vote in the "get a treadmill" column?!)

Today: WK3DY3 -- eek, I'm a little nervous about week 4.

Question: Those of you keep moving forward to the next week, are you always able to run the entire distance by the end of day 3? Or are you still pushing and trying to do it?

Not sure if this answers your question, minnie, but a couple of times I've really struggled to finish the run portion of a workout, and if I felt I was really teetering on the brink, then I've repeated that workout before moving on to the next week (includingw3d3). I'm just trying to avoid overdoing it--I'd rather it take an extra few weeks to reach the end, than to get discouraged or worse, injured, and shelve it altogether.

hillview
05-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Okay I am in -- W1D1 yesterday. It was hard but I did it! Tomorrow is bootcamp and then hopefully W1D2!
/hillary

Twoboos
05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
OK, I'm back.

I ran a 5k last April, and another last June. So 11 mos ago is the last time I ran... and I just signed up for a 5k in 5 weeks!! YIKES!

I think I'm going to start on week 3 or 4 - hopefully my body will remember how to run.

BigDog
05-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Well, I finished w8d2 yesterday and, although I'm not quite finished the entire program, I feel I have accomplished (suffered?) enough by now to give you my two cents on C25K...

I love it! Personally, it's been the best, funnest, most motivating exercise program I've ever done. Which probably doesn't mean much seeing how I haven't done very many... but still!

Here was my first post back on 3/30:

I am happy to report that I am, in fact, a runner now! And I love it. And there's a lot less junk in the trunk bouncing around! Seriously. In the last week or so I've noticed that my pants/jeans are hanging off me. I really think I've been slimming down my waist/rear/hip area without even trying. I just wanted to be able to run. And now I can.

During weeks 7 (25mins) and 8 (28mins), I pushed myself to go a little further if I felt up to it. Yesterday I ran for 34 minutes and, according to my gps, ran 2.74mi. So not quite a 5k. I'm not sure that by the end of week 9 that I'll be able to run 5k, but I'll definitely be able to run the 30 minutes straight. I'm averaging 12:40 mins/mile. I run pretty slow, about 4.6-5.0 mph, and I find myself having to slow down because my heart rate gets out of control, which seems to be my main problem. My legs feel good, I haven't had any leg, foot, knee problems (knock on wood), it's just my breathing/heart rate that I need to get under control, and I think I will with time. All in all, I'm loving C25K and already looking into Gateway to 8k or Bridge to 10k next! Keep at it, everyone!

artvandalay
05-23-2011, 09:54 AM
BigDog you are awesome! You are in the home stretch... we need to have a graduation party for you soon :boogie: And yes, you ARE a runner now!!

I have been thinking about what to do after c25k, too. I like the idea of a goal and a set workout plan. I looked around for what to do after c25k and found Bridge to 10k, Hal Higdon's 10k (novice) and One Hour Runner. I think I am leaning towards OHR. I didn't realize there was a 8k plan, which one are you looking at?

Hoping to finish up week 6 this morning, depending on how dd naps. Also signed up for a 5k next month.

Checked out shorts/skirts at Dick's Sporting Goods. I am liking the skirt idea because of the spandex-y short underneath... doesn't seem like it would bunch or give me a fupa.

I tried on about 4 different kinds, my favorite being a Nike one. Only problem is that I was in between 2 sizes... I probably could go with the smaller one but it would be a little tight. It's a $45 skirt so I think I'll hold off until I drop a couple of pounds then go back and get the smaller one.

Happened to be in Target and found a black running skirt for around $17, figured I'd try it out for the price. I like the Nike one much better.. maybe it will be a little gift to myself after doing the 5k next month.

ETA: Welcome twooboos and hillary, glad to have you join us.

And.... I just finished W6d3 on the treadmill.. I can't believe I just ran for 25 minutes straight. The program is really working well for me. Any lurkers out there thinking of joining just do it....

BigDog
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
I have been thinking about what to do after c25k, too. I like the idea of a goal and a set workout plan. I looked around for what to do after c25k and found Bridge to 10k, Hal Higdon's 10k (novice) and One Hour Runner. I think I am leaning towards OHR. I didn't realize there was a 8k plan, which one are you looking at?

Art, here's the link for Gateway to 8k: http://runsource.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=376

I'm also considering the OHR, but I kind of like the intervals in the Bridge to 10k. I think that might be more motivating for me. I don't know. The Gateway to 8k sort of seems like you're going a few steps backwards in the beginning, but I guess that's ok. Maybe I'll just keep on doing w9 of c25k for a while!

cckwmh
05-23-2011, 05:32 PM
finished week 3, need to start week 4 but am having a hard time fitting it in. I am also doing bootcamp 3 x week and with all the rain it has been tough to be motivated to go for a run. i WILL run tomorrow!!

wolverine2
05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
OK, I'm back.

I ran a 5k last April, and another last June. So 11 mos ago is the last time I ran... and I just signed up for a 5k in 5 weeks!! YIKES!

I think I'm going to start on week 3 or 4 - hopefully my body will remember how to run.

Me too... I was doing great last fall- ran a 4 mile race in Nov, but ran/walked a 5K a couple weeks ago w/ very little training and it felt awful. I'm jumping back in at week 4, and aiming for a 10K in October. Not sure which program I'll use for that either...

artvandalay
05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Just repeated the 25 min. run. I know you're not supposed to run back to back days (I did it yesterday) but DH is home today and I wanted to take advantage of running outside while he watches the kids. Plus it's so sunny and nice outside, how can I not run?

minnie-zb
05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I repeated Wk3Dy1 today, but I'm not sure I'll repeat the whole week. It went pretty well and I might move forward to Week 4. I think I'm more nervous about week 4 vs. not being ready....

hellokitty
05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Everyone sounds like they have been doing great! I fell off the wagon for a wk, b/c I got sick before my 5K and it is so weird, but I feel like that one wk has made a big difference in my feeling less in shape again. I ran last night (with the threat of being caught in a big storm) and was in such a hurry, I couldn't find my headphones. I ran after dinner (stupid idea), so felt really sluggish, only did 25 min, but hey, that's better than nothing and since I wasn't listening to music, I think it was harder for me (the music really keeps me going). Hoping to try to go on a run today or tomorrow again. The next 5K I want to do is June 11, which is coming up really fast and it will be on rough terrain, which makes me a bit nervous, but I feel like I really need to get a 5K under my belt to be able to at least accomplish my goal of having finished one, kwim?

hillview
05-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Just did w1d2. It was easier than on the treadmill -- anyone have this experience?
/hillary

SoloMelody
05-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Its been more than a week since I checked in, thanks to a stomach bug and a birthday party to put together.

W1D1 5/14 I was able to get thru it without major huffing and puffing. After effects sunday morning some sore muscles (the good kind IYKWIM) and then it was gone, I feel great.

W1D2 5/17 run was good. Had a stomach bug the next day so felt crappy all for the next 3 days.

W1D3 skipped

W2D1 5/22 run was ok, didnt feel great, probably dehydrated from the stomach bug, but made it without any major exertion. No soreness or anything as of 2 day later.

W2D2 is today...hope to get the run done as soon as I get home around 6pm before dinner

I have been running on the treadmill bare feet. I have almost always run bare feet on the treadmill (I dont like my current sports shoes).Never really bought running shoes. I want to venture outside, so I need some kind of shoes now.....any recommendations? I have been considering minimalist shoes like http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/

Thoughts on regular running shoes vs minimalist running shoes?

Does

basilicali
05-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi! I just started today and I need to get a sports bra! I found a bunch of people at work to do it with me! I am excited that you all have been able to keep up the program!

minnie-zb
05-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi! I just started today and I need to get a sports bra! I found a bunch of people at work to do it with me! I am excited that you all have been able to keep up the program!

:wavey: Welcome!

I got mine at Target and I've been pleased.

artvandalay
05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I have been running on the treadmill bare feet. I have almost always run bare feet on the treadmill (I dont like my current sports shoes).Never really bought running shoes. I want to venture outside, so I need some kind of shoes now.....any recommendations? I have been considering minimalist shoes like http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/

Does

I've honestly never heard of anyone running barefoot on a treadmill. I've heard of people running barefoot on the beach. Can I ask why you do it? I know you said you don't like your current shoes, but is there another reason why you do it? Does it ever hurt your feet? How long have you been running like this?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just intrigued by this. I don't know anyone who runs this way.

And great job for starting the program!:thumbsup:

Today was a day off for me. I was kinda sore this morning.

artvandalay
05-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Just did w1d2. It was easier than on the treadmill -- anyone have this experience?
/hillary

I find running outside much easier than running on the treadmill. I also find that I run slower outside.

WolfpackMom
05-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I find the treadmill easier and that I go faster, but maybe that's because of the hills in my neighborhood. I forgot to check in and say I survived the 20 minute run. I'm wondering why week 6 drops back down to less minutes running.

hillview
05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I find running outside much easier than running on the treadmill. I also find that I run slower outside.

OK that is what I figured. I was likely running slower.

jenfromnj
05-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing great!

I think I am going to be in the market for new shoes very soon, the first few weeks were OK but now that I'm "running" more than a couple of minutes at a time (I'm in mid week 5), my knees are starting to ache. I'm hoping that getting fitted for a good pair of running sneakers will help, especially since I'm coming upon a 20 minute run soon.

Also, a question for those of you who run outside/not on a treadmill--do you track your distance and if so, how? I'd really like to get an idea of my pace, but my course isn't conducive to being able to drive and track mileage using the car's odometer. The votes in the column of getting a treadmill or a gym membership are starting to pile up!

cckwmh
05-26-2011, 01:33 AM
haven't run since the weekend. it has been hard trying to get the runs in while also doing bootcamp. the issue is more of lack of childcare than not having the time.

i am camping for the next 5 days, so I plan on getting all 3 week 4 runs in. Will post on my return.

cckwmh
05-26-2011, 01:37 AM

I know someone who often runs outside barefoot on the city roads. He does wear shoes occasionally - if he is going on trails or if there is snow/ice on the road. he wears the vibram 5 fingers. he says they are the closest to bare feet.
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

hellokitty
05-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Jen, I usw an app for my smartphone called smart runner. It tracks time, speed distance and route, so you need a smartphone for it.

minnie-zb
05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Jen, I usw an app for my smartphone called smart runner. It tracks time, speed distance and route, so you need a smartphone for it.

There's also the NikePlus http://www.amazon.com/Sport-NEWEST-VERSION-Retail-Packaging/dp/B004D4Y37U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306413583&sr=8-1 . My husband got me one for Mother's Day. He has one and so does my friend. They both really like them. I've been using my C25K app, so I haven't tried my NikePlus yet.

artvandalay
05-26-2011, 11:19 AM
UGH. Tried to start Week 7 today, which is 3 days of 25 minute runs. I was wearing one of my older, crappy sports bras instead of my newer, more supportive ones. My boobies were begging for mercy. I had to stop at 20 minutes. Threw that bra straight in the garbage... I don't know what I was thinking... :duh:

hellokitty
05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
UGH. Tried to start Week 7 today, which is 3 days of 25 minute runs. I was wearing one of my older, crappy sports bras instead of my newer, more supportive ones. My boobies were begging for mercy. I had to stop at 20 minutes. Threw that bra straight in the garbage... I don't know what I was thinking... :duh:

I've thrown away 2 bras already since starting c25K. One of them chaffed me so badly, I was swearing at it afterward and it ruined my run, b/c I couldn't stop thinking about it. Another one kept riding up. The champion and old navy sports bras are still my fav, since they are made out of that wicking material. My old cotton sport bras all need to go to the trash, they are crap.

baileygirl
05-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Joining in! I started a few weeks ago, when I first saw this thread...but haven't posted. I completed 5wd2 yesterday. I am hopeful the 20 minute run will go well!

A couple of things from reading the thread. I know some people were talking about a way to carry misc things with them when they run. i bought one of these http://www.spibelt.com/ and like it. I should add that I run on a treadmill, but I like to take it to the gym to carry my stuff.

Also, pre kids I ran and I loved my garmin forerunner for distance/pace/etc. I have no clue what is out there now, but I thought it might help someone.

One thing I did in earlier weeks, which helped me was to add a little bit of time to the last run on day 3 of the prior week. So, if the following week had 3 minute runs, on day 3 I would make certain I did one 3 minute run. Not certain if that makes sense or not, but on day 1 of the following week it seemed easier to me (mentally) since I had already done one 3 minute run, I could do 2 this time.

jenfromnj
05-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the recs, cckwmh and hellokitty! I am checking out apps for my iphone to see if the one you rec'd is available there, for some reason it hadn't even occurred to me that I could find one that would track distance. I should really know by now that there's an app for everything!

Art, I hear you on the sports bras! I really need to invest in a few more really good ones, the so-so ones I have are ok for most things, but running is a whole other thing. I'm debating trying one of the ones recommended at Figleaves or breakoutbras, they seem to have some really good "industrial strength" ones.

Twoboos
05-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I know some people were talking about a way to carry misc things with them when they run. i bought one of these http://www.spibelt.com/ and like it. I should add that I run on a treadmill, but I like to take it to the gym to carry my stuff.

Just wanted to second this. DH got one on the recommendation of his BIL. I used it one day when he was at work. It was perfect for carrying my phone.

artvandalay
05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah, the old bras were not the newer-wicking type. They were some sort of cotton/poly Nike ones. I'm really happy with the ones I picked up from Kohls, they are really supportive.

Art, I hear you on the sports bras! I really need to invest in a few more really good ones, the so-so ones I have are ok for most things, but running is a whole other thing. I'm debating trying one of the ones recommended at Figleaves or breakoutbras, they seem to have some really good "industrial strength" ones.

I get this catalog in the mail called Title 9. I have absolutely no clue why I get it because it all seems to be women surfers and surfing clothes. Anyway, they have quite a few sports bras, and there is one bra called The Last Resort Bra, it says something like, "it ain't pretty, but you won't bounce". It's pretty pricey, though.... I didn't realize you could spend that much on a sports bra.

http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/medium-high-impact-sports-bras/313801.do?sortby=ourPicks

I don't see how anyone could bounce in that thing... talk about industrial strength!

jenfromnj
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah, the old bras were not the newer-wicking type. They were some sort of cotton/poly Nike ones. I'm really happy with the ones I picked up from Kohls, they are really supportive.

I get this catalog in the mail called Title 9. I have absolutely no clue why I get it because it all seems to be women surfers and surfing clothes. Anyway, they have quite a few sports bras, and there is one bra called The Last Resort Bra, it says something like, "it ain't pretty, but you won't bounce". It's pretty pricey, though.... I didn't realize you could spend that much on a sports bra.

http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/medium-high-impact-sports-bras/313801.do?sortby=ourPicks

I don't see how anyone could bounce in that thing... talk about industrial strength!

Is it sad that I saw that and am immediately tempted to order it? It is a little pricey for a sports bra, but I'm thinking if it's really good, it's better than spending $20 or $30 on an OK one.

I really am fine with the "not pretty" thing, really, I can absolutely guarantee that I won't be running around in only a sports bra and bottoms! My poor neighbors are traumatized enough already by my sad attempts at running.

baileygirl
05-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Is it sad that I saw that and am immediately tempted to order it? It is a little pricey for a sports bra, but I'm thinking if it's really good, it's better than spending $20 or $30 on an OK one.

I really am fine with the "not pretty" thing, really, I can absolutely guarantee that I won't be running around in only a sports bra and bottoms! My poor neighbors are traumatized enough already by my sad attempts at running.

I think the last resort bra is the samething as the Enell bra. I buy my sports bras on amazon.com. Prices tend to be good and the ones I have bought had free returns if I didn't like them.

hellokitty
05-26-2011, 11:27 PM
I almost forgot that VSX (victoria secret's sports store) has some really nice bras. I cannot find their website for their workout bras, but I have two of them and they are both my favorite and most supportive workout bras. I bought them when they had a big sale and got each for less than $20 each.

jenfromnj
05-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I think the last resort bra is the samething as the Enell bra. I buy my sports bras on amazon.com. Prices tend to be good and the ones I have bought had free returns if I didn't like them.

Thanks--I am going to check out Amazon! I'll keep an eye out for the free returns.

I almost forgot that VSX (victoria secret's sports store) has some really nice bras. I cannot find their website for their workout bras, but I have two of them and they are both my favorite and most supportive workout bras. I bought them when they had a big sale and got each for less than $20 each.

So jealous of those of you who can get bras at VS! I long for my pre-PG days where I could buy bras there, but alas, my F cups make it impossible. I held out hope for months after I weaned that I might end up back where I started (a D), but have given up.

artvandalay
05-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Oh Jen I don't think it's sad at all! Believe me, I am all for support and comfort these days. I am still nursing, so all of my bras are ugly. I really don't care what my bras look like. I just want them to hike my girls up so they look good! After nursing 3 kids, age and gravity I need all the help I can get:p

If I couldn't find a supportive sports bra in the store I would order one online without hesitation. I was so uncomfortable yesterday, it's all I could think about the entire time I was running.

hellokitty
05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
So jealous of those of you who can get bras at VS! I long for my pre-PG days where I could buy bras there, but alas, my F cups make it impossible. I held out hope for months after I weaned that I might end up back where I started (a D), but have given up.

Jen, I couldn't wear my VSX bras again until recently. I'm also still nursing, but only about 3-4x a day now, so my breasts aren't as full. I kwym about not being able to shop for, "normal" sized bras. I'm back down to a D, but was a DD when DS3 was nursing more often. I've resorted to wearing two bras for a lot of things. The VSX ones work fine on their own, but for some of my other sports bras, I wear it, and then I wear a tank top with a built in sports bra on top of it, for double support. Maybe try that?

BigDog
05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Joining in! I started a few weeks ago, when I first saw this thread...but haven't posted. I completed 5wd2 yesterday. I am hopeful the 20 minute run will go well!

A couple of things from reading the thread. I know some people were talking about a way to carry misc things with them when they run. i bought one of these http://www.spibelt.com/ and like it. I should add that I run on a treadmill, but I like to take it to the gym to carry my stuff.

Also, pre kids I ran and I loved my garmin forerunner for distance/pace/etc. I have no clue what is out there now, but I thought it might help someone.

That belt looks pretty cool - I think I might have to get one! I run outside and I'm tired of carrying my keys in one hand and my phone in the other. I've been looking into a Garmin Forerunner, too. For the time being I've been wearing a heart rate monitor and carrying my iPhone (which is usually running 5 different training apps simultaneously). It's pretty dumb. But it works for now. For the poster who was interested in gps apps, the one I like the best is called iMapMyRun (and it's free). I like it better than the Nike+ for some reason.

Anyhow, I'm halfway through week 9. The end is near! However, I'm nowhere near running a 5k... In 34 minutes I can run a distance of about 2.75 miles. I'm averaging a 12-13 minute mile. And when the sun is out and it's hot with no breeze, I'm like a snail. I noticed that I run my best when it's cool and overcast.

SoloMelody
05-28-2011, 02:01 AM
I've honestly never heard of anyone running barefoot on a treadmill. I've heard of people running barefoot on the beach. Can I ask why you do it? I know you said you don't like your current shoes, but is there another reason why you do it? Does it ever hurt your feet? How long have you been running like this?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just intrigued by this. I don't know anyone who runs this way.

And great job for starting the program!:thumbsup:

Today was a day off for me. I was kinda sore this morning.

I started running last Nov when we bought a new treadmill. I just was never comfy running in the shoes I had, they are probably not even running shoes. But I really wanted to run on my new treadmill, so I just ran bare feet.

Few days later DH told me that bare feet running is probably better than shoes because we land on the ball of the foot vs heel if you were wearing shoes. Heel striking has lot more impact on the whole body. I was sold and I believe that the human body/feet were made to run without shoes.....so it should be fine....
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100127134241.htm

I did have some blisters under my right toes the first couple of times I ran. I quickly realized its more about my running form. I was not landing with even weight on my whole foot, I was landing with more weight toward the outside and so that little friction when curling my toes for stability was causing the blisters. I corrected my form and they are gone now. As I think back now I always felt wobbly running with shoes....never felt completely stable.

Truly I just feel its just so much lighter and nicer to run on bare feet. Also it does not hurt especially if you are following a program like c25k.

FYI If you have been running for a while in shoes and consider moving to bare feet running, it needs to be gradual transition as different calf muscles get used, and if they r not strong enough it will cause pain...

SoloMelody
05-28-2011, 02:08 AM
I have the wacoal sports bra and it is currently doing well holding up my 32Gs.

check in for week 3!
W3D1- 2/27 alright 3 min run was manageable, though I did it with some food in tummy so was a little uncomfortable, but had to get it done before the long weekend throws me off track!
W2D3- skipped
W2D2- 5/25 first morning run and all went well, feel rejuvenated
W2D1- 5/22 run was ok, didnt feel great, probably dehydrated from the stomach bug, but made it without any major exertion. No soreness or anything as of 2 day later.
W1D3- skipped
W1D2- 5/17 run was good. Had a stomach bug the next day so felt crappy all for the next 3 days.
W1D1- 5/14 I was able to get thru it without major huffing and puffing. After effects sunday morning some sore muscles (the good kind IYKWIM) and then it was gone, I feel great.

SoloMelody
05-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Anyhow, I'm halfway through week 9. The end is near! However, I'm nowhere near running a 5k... In 34 minutes I can run a distance of about 2.75 miles. I'm averaging a 12-13 minute mile. And when the sun is out and it's hot with no breeze, I'm like a snail. I noticed that I run my best when it's cool and overcast.

Great job! :applause: Cant wait to get to week 9. Come run in Seattle its always cool and overcast!

minnie-zb
05-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Just finished W4D2. I'm doing okay. The first two long runs are pretty good, but the end, eek. Not so good!

Happy Memorial Day! I hope everyone has a great weekend. Tomorrow is our 14th Wedding Anniversary. Hard to believe.