PDA

View Full Version : Transitions

HIU8
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
DS has major issues with transitions. He simply cannot handle them. We have learned to start a transition at least 30 minutes before it has to be completed (read: getting into the car, brushing teeth, altering his normal routine at all), but sometimes we don't have 30 minutes (driving from his school to DD's to pick her up, stopping to run an errand). I always try to set it up beforehand in some way though. We have also developed a bartering system with DS. He has been really good with transitions but suddenly over the past couple of days things have really gone downhill. I stopped counting tantrums today at 12 (he went straight into tantrum mode more than 12 times today for things like getting out of the car to get his sister at school, stopping at Target, dropping his toy car while I was driving, putting the shade on his window down while it was overcast today so I could see to drive---you name it.). Yes, I'm venting, b/c it's been an esp trying day today. I admit, I've not been great about setting up for a few of these today, and for the first time in a LONG time, I have to say that I seriously need a drink (and I don't drink).

snowbunnies300
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Is it possible he is going through a growth spurt and therefore a little bit more irritable right now? Also do you have a picture schedule for him? I know that quick errands that pop up at a moments notice are hard but maybe if the two of you could add them to his schedule so that he can see that after the errand "life" goes back to normal so to speak and his schedule goes back to normal.

If you have a nintendo DS, iphone or Ipad you can down load an app called Tap to Talk. You could then have the PECS symbols to make a schedule with.

HIU8
03-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Thank you for the DS idea. I didn't know what Tap to Talk was. Also we used to use the picture stories with DS and have not in over a year. I have several already made I can use again.