PDA

View Full Version : Completely unclear on what kind of diaper bag I need... help!

Blackbird711
03-28-2011, 06:29 PM
So we're expecting our first in early May, and I don't have a diaper bag yet. My husband asked about it the other day, and I was like "uhhhh..." At least I've taken care of most of the big stuff, lol.

Anyway, we'll be using it with an Uppababy Vista (and maybe snugrider as well), so I do have room in the underseat basket, but would prefer something that would also attach to the stroller handles in case we need the basket for something else. Also, the color/pattern and shape should be masculine enough for my DH to carry it when necessary :)

Other than that, I am totally clueless - not very experience with babies so I have NO idea what other features to look for. Would be great to have something that's large enough for what we'll need for the first 6-9 months but not so large that I feel like I'm smuggling a second kid everywhere I go. Lightweight would be great, I'm kind of a wimp.

Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!

SnuggleBuggles
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Are you a big purse person or a small purse person? Less is more or you want to be prepared for every scenario? Me? I am a very light packer. I bf so all I had in my diaper bag was a blanket(Aden and Anais ones were great b/c so light weight/ fold small), pacifier, change of clothes for baby, a little diaper pouch with 2 diapers, a baggie of 6-8 wipes, a ziploc bag for dirty stuff. I kept a lot more in the car (hats, toys, change of clothes for me...). I was never too far from my car or home to really need to carry the world with me. I am very much a minimalist. Yet, with ds1 I had a full sized diaper bag that I just never used. So, how I packed above was with ds2 and I was able to use a Lands End Little Tripper with him.

Think about what your lifestyle is like, where you will be, how much you would like to have at your fingertips vs possibly a bit farther away. Then decide if you want bi, medium or small...or all of the above. :)

Beth

Blackbird711
03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Given my type A personality, and the fact that this baby is uncharted territory, I'm sure I'll want to cover ever possible scenario every time we leave the house... so my gut tells me that we'll want something large enough that we can do that.

I'm used to carrying medium-large tote bags for work (and my husband always teases me about the size of my bags, though he never complains when I can hold things for him, hmmph), so something on the larger size won't be too muc of a stretch, but I don't want to go overboard, you know?

I'm planning to BF but you never know what will happen, so I guess best to prepare for whatever that is.

arivecchi
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Of all the diaper bags I have had, the skip hop studio is my favorite. Doubles easily as a purse and has stroller clips!

mackmama
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I would suggest Ju-Ju-Be bags. They are really well-made with a lot more features than I've found on any other bag.

For a medium size: http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005000000000000&p=JJB01230
For a large bag: http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005000000000000&p=JJB01327 (I also like to carry the kitchen sink and have this one.)
The solid black or brown are very gender neutral.

azazela
03-28-2011, 08:52 PM
I would suggest Ju-Ju-Be bags. They are really well-made with a lot more features than I've found on any other bag.

For a medium size: http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005000000000000&p=JJB01230
For a large bag: http://www.shopjujube.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005000000000000&p=JJB01327 (I also like to carry the kitchen sink and have this one.)
The solid black or brown are very gender neutral.

:yeahthat: JJBs are awesome and machine washable!

lyt202
03-28-2011, 08:57 PM
I second the Skip Hop studio -lots of organizational pockets and plenty of space. Hated the stroller clips on the bag. They are just a bit too short to clip over the handlebars and not as easy to use as the stroller clips on other skip hop bags. I use the petunia pickle bottom stroller clips instead and it works much better.

mom2khj
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
I love my Skip Hop Dash. I've tried several others, but always go back to it. It doesn't look large, but I can stuff a TON of stuff in it, without it getting extra bulky!

BayGirl2
03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
I've been through an assortment of bags. Now that I think of them like my purse I can justify getting a new one for winter and summer. I lean toward the bigger size. I have a Vista too and stroller clips are essential, IMO. I like a lot of inside pockets, enough pockets outside for things like my wallet, keys, cell phone, and at least one insulated pocket for bottles. (I BF, but you will need sippy cups or bottles at some point) If you prefer a backpack or messenger style bag normally, then consider those options.

Currently I have a Skip Hop Studio that I like, but I consider it to be on the smaller end of my spectrum. I also have a linen BananaFish Valencia for spring/summer that is super roomy, beautiful and I love it. We started with a Pottery Barn Kids one (from a gift card) and that fell apart quick and was too small.

DH and I actually have separate diaper bags, it just worked out better that way. Our hospital (Kaiser) gave us one and he likes it. He also constructed his own changing pad kit-like set for short trips. Since he doesn't have the purse-like needs I do, that works for him.

You may want to search around eBags and some of the baby sites and nicer stores to get a feel for what style and brands you like. If you are drawn to something too girly, consider going with separate bags. But there are plenty of solid color nylon bags that are gender neutral enough for both of you to use.

Beth24
03-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I have a skip hop Via Messenger and a Studio. I like both of them. Skip Hop just came out with a new bag called the Versa which looks great, kind of like it combined all the best features from all their bags. The Skip Hop bags have built in stroller clips which well on a Vista (I have that stroller as well).

sweet_pea
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I was also going to suggest taking a look at the Skip Hop bags...maybe a Dash or a Duo. You can pick a solid color so that your husband won't mind carrying it.

lhafer
03-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I have had a Skip Hop Dash Deluxe, Studio Tote, Versa, Via Backpack, Pronto, and saddle bags.

For you - I would suggest either the Versa or the Studio Tote. LOVE the Studio Tote, but didn't love the handles. I prefer slightly longer handles. Plus it was a little big for my needs. I got the Versa and LOVE LOVE LOVE this bag!! Love how much it holds, that it keeps me organized, that I can shorten or lengthen the strap, that it has stroller clips, that it cleans easily, and that it's expandable.

I love Ju Ju Be patterns, but they have always felt heavy to me when empty.

BayGirl2
03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
LOVE the Studio Tote, but didn't love the handles. I prefer slightly longer handles.

The handles are an issue for me too! Especially if I am wearing a thick coat, they are just too short to hang comfortably. Probably my only issue with that bag - and that it feels a little small for me.

Blackbird711
03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I like the look of the Versa, but DH would NEVER carry it - it screams purse.

Looking at the Skip Hop website, seems like the only bags that I could reasonably get to work for both DH and I would be the Dash or Duo Deluxe or the Via Messenger. Seems like people don't like those as much as the Versa, based on the amazon reviews. I may have to just pick one now and worry about DH later. sigh.

artvandalay
03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
If you are concerned about your husband liking/using your diaper bag and you want one that attaches to a stroller, then perhaps you'd like the Skip Hop Via Messenger.

I've owned the Dash and The Studio. The Dash isn't big enough for a newborn IMO. Once you start putting more than a few items in there the magnets don't hold and the flap pops out. It drove me nuts. I like my diaper bag to be zippered up shut and I always felt like my stuff was gonna tumble out of there all over the car.

The Studio is nice but a little too big for me and I didn't like how it felt on my shoulder. Also if you're concerned about your husband liking it... well.. it basically just looks like a big purse so he'd probably hate it. Same for the Versa. I never gave any thought to whether my DH would like my diaper bag. The kids are always with me.. if he ever takes them anywhere he would take the diaper changer kit and a couple of other things and throw them in his backpack.

lhafer
03-30-2011, 10:02 AM
If you are concerned about your husband liking/using your diaper bag and you want one that attaches to a stroller, then perhaps you'd like the Skip Hop Via Messenger.

I've owned the Dash and The Studio. The Dash isn't big enough for a newborn IMO. Once you start putting more than a few items in there the magnets don't hold and the flap pops out. It drove me nuts. I like my diaper bag to be zippered up shut and I always felt like my stuff was gonna tumble out of there all over the car.

The Studio is nice but a little too big for me and I didn't like how it felt on my shoulder. Also if you're concerned about your husband liking it... well.. it basically just looks like a big purse so he'd probably hate it. Same for the Versa. I never gave any thought to whether my DH would like my diaper bag. The kids are always with me.. if he ever takes them anywhere he would take the diaper changer kit and a couple of other things and throw them in his backpack.

:yeahthat: DH never once has carried a bag, so he was never part of the equation when I was looking. If the kids will be with you most of the time, then I would get what you want. And then I would get a Pronto or something similar for the car, and get DH a columbian backpack from BRU. If both of you will have the kids a pretty equal amount of time, then would look into the SKip Hop via backpack. It's very comfortable, very organized, holds a lot of stuff, and is gender neutral for the parents.

artvandalay
03-30-2011, 10:18 AM
:yeahthat: DH never once has carried a bag, so he was never part of the equation when I was looking. If the kids will be with you most of the time, then I would get what you want. And then I would get a Pronto or something similar for the car, and get DH a columbian backpack from BRU. If both of you will have the kids a pretty equal amount of time, then would look into the SKip Hop via backpack. It's very comfortable, very organized, holds a lot of stuff, and is gender neutral for the parents.

lhafer I'm glad you like your Versa. It looks like a really nice bag. If I had to buy a diaper bag for myself today, I'd get the Versa. But.. I just bought a JJB Behave, so I can't justify buying it at the moment! Perhaps if I ever see a good deal.

Can I ask you a quick question about the Versa? Do the straps get twisty because they are adjustable? I have another diaper bag that has one long adjustable strap and they get twisted around and I hate it.

Momto1
03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
If I could do it all over again, I'd get a JuJuBe BFF.

I had a Skip Hop Dash when DD was little, and it met our needs, but I didn't "like" carrying it - I thought it was too boring. I also think my JJBs have held way better than the Skip Hop.

salsah
03-30-2011, 12:42 PM
i love my skip hops! the versa is really neat. but you don't have to get a diaper bag. you can use any kind of bag.

honestly, don't buy a bag now. find a big hand bag or a back pack that you already have and use that until you know how much you will really need to carry around, what kind of organization you would like, and how you would like to carry the bag.

i'm usually very organized and love lots of pockets. but thanks to mommy brain, i found that with too many pockets, i couldn't find anything because i couldn't remember what was in which pocket.

after the newborn phase, i used two bags: a large one that stays in the trunk with everything in it (comes out only for all day outings where we are away from the car.) and a smaller one that carries the bare minimum but still has space for a couple of extra items (diaper, sweater, snack), depending on the outing. after awhile, you don't always need a change of clothes or a diaper with you (or it is easier to change the diaper in the car). i keep everything in the car, just in case, and only carry what i know i will need.

my personal preference is to carry a cross body. easier with kids, worked with carriers, easy on the back, easy to hang on any stroller.

if you have a big bag that you can use, use it until you figure out what you want in a diaper bag.

mackmama
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
i love my skip hops! the versa is really neat. but you don't have to get a diaper bag. you can use any kind of bag.

honestly, don't buy a bag now. find a big hand bag or a back pack that you already have and use that until you know how much you will really need to carry around, what kind of organization you would like, and how you would like to carry the bag.

i'm usually very organized and love lots of pockets. but thanks to mommy brain, i found that with too many pockets, i couldn't find anything because i couldn't remember what was in which pocket.

after the newborn phase, i used two bags: a large one that stays in the trunk with everything in it (comes out only for all day outings where we are away from the car.) and a smaller one that carries the bare minimum but still has space for a couple of extra items (diaper, sweater, snack), depending on the outing. after awhile, you don't always need a change of clothes or a diaper with you (or it is easier to change the diaper in the car). i keep everything in the car, just in case, and only carry what i know i will need.

my personal preference is to carry a cross body. easier with kids, worked with carriers, easy on the back, easy to hang on any stroller.

if you have a big bag that you can use, use it until you figure out what you want in a diaper bag.

This is good advice. I just bought my 3rd diaper bag after figuring out the first 2 that I bought (pre-baby) weren't what I actually want. Now I have to figure out how to sell the other 2.

lhafer
03-30-2011, 01:47 PM
lhafer I'm glad you like your Versa. It looks like a really nice bag. If I had to buy a diaper bag for myself today, I'd get the Versa. But.. I just bought a JJB Behave, so I can't justify buying it at the moment! Perhaps if I ever see a good deal.

Can I ask you a quick question about the Versa? Do the straps get twisty because they are adjustable? I have another diaper bag that has one long adjustable strap and they get twisted around and I hate it.

No I don't have issues with the strap twisting at all. I think it's probably because the buckles where it attaches to the bag are more square than round, so it keeps the strap in line.

But then again I don't have twisty straps on my Britax Frontier 85 that many people complain about either!! :ROTFLMAO:

mackmama
03-30-2011, 05:03 PM
The Jujube BFF in black or brown or champagne bubbles are gender neutral.

Jelly Bean
03-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Not sure how much you're willing to spend, but I really like the Storksak or Kate Spade bags and you can get them with 20% off coupons at Buy Buy Baby. The Storksak Olivia is awesome because you can wear it on your shoulder or cross-body. I made the mistake of getting a bag I could only wear on my shoulder, and the first time I had to go in the changing room and change DD's diaper, I decided I was never using it again. I'm carrying DD, she has a poopy diaper, the diaper bag is under my arm and I have to crook my arm in a weird angle to reach in and get what I need without it slipping off my shoulder. And I can't take it off my shoulder because there is nowhere to put it in the public bathroom. ARGH! So much easier to swing the bag to my side or front and reach in easily and grab what I need. And the longer straps fit over stroller handles without needing stroller clips.

I also really like Storksak or Kate Spade nylon bags because they can be wiped off with a slightly damp paper towel. I also prefer that "look" to that of the Skip Hops or JJBs.

Finally, sometimes I just use the Diaper Dude I got my husband in black. But he doesn't really care if the diaper bag is manly - as he says "I clearly have a kid with me; no one is going to think it's my purse."

Blackbird711
04-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for your input! This is incredibly helpful. I may try to hold off on buying something until after the baby arrives, but whenever I'm ready I have a much better idea of what I need to get :applause: