PDA

View Full Version : Skuut for $45 on kidswoot

mommybug
03-29-2011, 01:26 AM
The kids.woot right now is for a Skuut balance bike for $40 + $5 shipping. We already have two balance bikes, but this seems like a great deal.
http://kids.woot.com/

elektra
03-29-2011, 02:15 AM
I just picked one up!
DH wanted to get one for DS for his birthday in May but I didn't think it would be a good idea as he is only going to be two and has barely mastered walking! But I saw this deal and figured it was a good time to just get it.
And maybe DD can give it a spin too.

jennilynn
03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I got one too, thanks OP! Could only find one review on Amazon but decided it was worth a try.

Snow mom
03-29-2011, 11:40 AM
I just looked up the seat height and the seat height on this bike is 16.5-19". It seems like it's a bike for a 4-5 YO.

http://www.kidsbalancebikes.com/which-bike-is-best-for-my-child.html

Myira
03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I do not see a footrest on this bike. How would that work?

Avispa
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I just looked up the seat height and the seat height on this bike is 16.5-19". It seems like it's a bike for a 4-5 YO.

:yeahthat: this is definitively for an older preschooler, unless your 2 yr old is a giant he won't be able to ride this for the next couple of years or so.

elektra
03-29-2011, 12:53 PM
:yeahthat: this is definitively for an older preschooler, unless your 2 yr old is a giant he won't be able to ride this for the next couple of years or so.

I did figure it would be too big to use just yet. But my almost 2yo is actually on the big side and my DH is having issues with DD having a bike without DS having one and I thought the price was right on this one.

smiles33
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I do not see a footrest on this bike. How would that work?

There is no footrest. Kids "walk" the bike and then lift their feet and glide. DD1 has the wooden one and was perfect for it by age 3.5 and is too big now at almost 5 but still loves it.

ETA: oops, didn't realize Skuut even had a metal version. I was referring to the wooden one and have now edited it.

jennilynn
03-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I didn't realize it was so big and most sites recommend it for 2-5 year olds. DS is average size but 2 1/2. Will he not be able to ride it?

Snow mom
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I didn't realize it was so big and most sites recommend it for 2-5 year olds. DS is average size but 2 1/2. Will he not be able to ride it?

Measure his inseam-- it needs to be at least 16.5" for him to ride it. My small 2.5 YO has a 12" inseam.

scriptkitten
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
love this board. dh and i were gonna get them for the twins but my 2.5yr olds have a 12" inseam.

elektra
03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
DS has a 14" inseam- I'll let you guys know how it works out! Who knows, maybe his legs will grow 2. 5 inches by May! ;)
My kids' growth is hard to predict since I have really long legs and am tall, but DH has short legs and is short. I think DS seems to be taking after me though in size but we shall see.

LMPC
03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I agree that the Skuut is for somewhat taller kids. My DD is 2.5 and just shy of 50%tile for height. She's too small for it (and that's the reason we had to go with something like the strider). But great price though!!!

ETA: Ignore everything I said...I thought it was for the wooden one. We haven't tried this one. Cute bike!

MolieMuts
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for posting, I just picked one up. My 2.5 yo is pretty tall, so we'll see if it works for him.

brookemd
03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks for posting - I was just thinking about ordering one from amazon... this is a much better deal! :)

sarahsthreads
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM

OK, so will this *not* be good for a 6.5 year old who is only 25% for height, then? DD1 can't ride without training wheels, and this is very tempting...I guess I'll have to wait for her to get off the bus and measure her inseam! :) (I can't wait for the eye-rolling! The girl has a 16.5 year old attitude some days.)

Sarah :)

Snow mom
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
OK, so will this *not* be good for a 6.5 year old who is only 25% for height, then? DD1 can't ride without training wheels, and this is very tempting...I guess I'll have to wait for her to get off the bus and measure her inseam! :) (I can't wait for the eye-rolling! The girl has a 16.5 year old attitude some days.)

You could measure a pair of pants that you know fit her correctly for a guess before she gets home. The idea is that the child should be able to stand with their feet flat on the ground while on the seat. Looking at videos it seems legs a bit longer than the max height of the seat (19" for this model) might work okay. They mention the height 45" as the min for the only bigger model on that page.

blue
03-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks for posting the info! I was considering buying it to be DS's second Birthday present...But he is a shorty :D

sarahsthreads
03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks! She actually just got home and has an 18" inseam, so I think she'll fit it. She seems pretty excited about the idea, which is good - I was worried she'd think it was a step down from a "big girl" bike. She's already super aware of the fact that nearly everyone else her age doesn't use training wheels. Maybe we'll only need it for a few weeks and she'll get the hang of balance and go back to her pedal bike without training wheels, but that will be OK because next summer DD2 will likely be big enough for it!

mom2mack&max
03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks! She actually just got home and has an 18" inseam, so I think she'll fit it. She seems pretty excited about the idea, which is good - I was worried she'd think it was a step down from a "big girl" bike. She's already super aware of the fact that nearly everyone else her age doesn't use training wheels. Maybe we'll only need it for a few weeks and she'll get the hang of balance and go back to her pedal bike without training wheels, but that will be OK because next summer DD2 will likely be big enough for it!

That is what I am planning on doing. My 6 yr old dd can't ride her bike with training wheels very well- she needs to learn to balance. If she's too big for it (she's tall), I am going to take off the pedals of her Barbie bike for the same effect! My 2 1/2 yr old is very tall and if it's too big he can wait a few months! I am skipping the training wheels and going the balance bike route with #2!

jenrub
03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Was gonna order one for my nephew just now but alas..... it's sold out! Oh well....

Melaine
03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Can't believe I missed this!

iaam
03-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, OP. I went back and forth, trying to decide, all day long and finally bit the bullet and ordered it just before I left the office! Now I can't wait to get it and give it to DS.

elephantmeg
03-29-2011, 11:00 PM
we ordered one :) can't wait. DH saw it on his own and e-mailed me, I had seen this thread at work last night but wasn't sure what he would think. DS is very resistant to taking off his training wheels but loved the balance bike a kid he hung out with at a campground had so I guess we'll see!

secchick
04-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Ugh, I finally received mine and the box was totally crushed and taped back together. Of course, it now appears that parts are missing to assemble it. As there is no customer service number on the instructions, I anticipate that it will be a PITA to resolve. Anyone have experience with Woot customer service?

Smillow
04-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Ugh, I finally received mine and the box was totally crushed and taped back together. Of course, it now appears that parts are missing to assemble it. As there is no customer service number on the instructions, I anticipate that it will be a PITA to resolve. Anyone have experience with Woot customer service?

I once received an empty box (the top had caved in) that was supposed to contain an MP3 player - they sent out another one - no questions asked!

elephantmeg
04-09-2011, 02:16 PM
ours came yesterday and we put it together today. Love it. If only it wasn't cold, wet and rainy :( tomorrow is supposed to be nice though!

mom2mack&max
04-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Our's came in a pretty beat up box, too. I was saving it for my ds bday in Aug, but I better check and make sure all the parts are there!!

MolieMuts
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
We got ours a few days ago. Box was fine, no missing pieces. It is the perfect size for my 2.5 yr old on the lowest seat setting. My tall 7 y/o was also riding it down the driveway. They both love it.