PDA

View Full Version : Extreme night sweats?

TwoBees
03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Does anyone else have extreme night sweats? I'm desperate for suggestions. I have had extreme night sweats for years. Soaking, sweat running down my legs night sweats, almost nightly. Previously they were associated with my cycle, but now seem to come every night. I have seen several endocrinologists--it isn't a hormone issue or a thyroid issue. I've had a thyroid u/s, blood tests, urine creatinine measurement, and even a chest x-ray to rule out TB. All of my doctors have just said "we have no idea what is causing it or how to stop it." I never get a good night's sleep anymore. Any suggestions?

Jeanne
03-29-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure if I'd call mine extreme, but I did have them for years. Got tested for EVERYTHING and everything came back negative. I was too young for perimenopause too.

One night I happened to fall asleep with fleece pants, socks, and a long john shirt on. I never slept in anything other then a nightshirt due to the night sweats. But lo and behold, it was the first night I didn't wake up soaked. I tried it again the second night and no night sweats either.

The only thing I can attribute the sweats to was not enough clothing. I think my blood pressure falls down at night and I must have been shivering and so cold that my body went into overdrive to heat itself up and then I'd wake up soaking wet. Strange I know but there isn't anything else that I can pinpoint. I've been night sweat free for 5 years now.

Recently, I went to sleep in lighter then normal pjs and no socks and sure enough, work up soaked again.

Hope you figure it out. It's beyond frustrating to wake up that way.

TwoBees
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure if I'd call mine extreme, but I did have them for years. Got tested for EVERYTHING and everything came back negative. I was too young for perimenopause too.

One night I happened to fall asleep with fleece pants, socks, and a long john shirt on. I never slept in anything other then a nightshirt due to the night sweats. But lo and behold, it was the first night I didn't wake up soaked. I tried it again the second night and no night sweats either.

The only thing I can attribute the sweats to was not enough clothing. I think my blood pressure falls down at night and I must have been shivering and so cold that my body went into overdrive to heat itself up and then I'd wake up soaking wet. Strange I know but there isn't anything else that I can pinpoint. I've been night sweat free for 5 years now.

Recently, I went to sleep in lighter then normal pjs and no socks and sure enough, work up soaked again.

Hope you figure it out. It's beyond frustrating to wake up that way.

I'll try that. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the suggestion.

mackmama
03-29-2011, 11:43 AM
I've also found it helps to wear extra-breathable clothes to bed, like a lightweight LS patagonia capilene top and bottoms. Satin or cotton PJ's seem to make it worse.

BallerinaMommy
03-29-2011, 03:10 PM
this may be too personal to ask, but are you on birth control? I had terrible night sweats while on BC, and as soon as I went off when DH and i wanted to start TTC, they went away.

lcarlson90
03-29-2011, 05:37 PM
I have had them ever since DS2 was born 2 1/2 years ago. Mine are not drenching I just wake up in the morning slightly damp. I assumed it was hormone or thyroid related but I had a bunch of blood tests done and they came back negative. It doesn't really bother me too much but I am still somewhat scared that one day I will find out it's cancer or something.

I am sort of suspicious that I have an autoimmune disorder because one of the blood test I had came back with a positive ANA which is an indicator for lupus or other autoimmune disorders. They ran more in depth tests for lupus which came back negative but there are other autoimmune disorders as well.