PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Owen

npl
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm this close to ordering the Maclaren Owen online for delivery to my parents, so I can collect it when we visit.
I think it's a choice between this and the Techno, which I will look at IRL when we arrive, but the Owen is only available online. It seems, from the Maclaren site, to be a cross between the Techno and the Quest. I want the footprint of the Quest, with the recline and wheels/suspension of the Techno. I'm worried that the Techno handles will be too high for me (but perfect for dh) and that the stroller will be too heavy for day-to-day trunk use. It will be mostly used as a car stroller, but I want to be able to use it outdoors, too.
Has anyone seen the Owen IRL? Most of the reviews I'm finding don't actually match the specs on the Maclaren site.
Interested in any experiences or reviews from people who have used it.

arivecchi
03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Liamsmom has one so she can fill you in.

ETA: Sorry, she does not have an Owen. She has a Zodiac. Isn't Owen a Ryder?

arivecchi
03-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Yep, Owen is a Ryder. Ryders are not all the same. Some have deeper recline than others and they all come with different accessories and fabrics.

http://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Ryder-Stroller-Owen-Tartan/dp/B000WGC4W4

npl
03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I've been through the Maclaren specs from their website, and I'm pretty certain it's the right one for me - it does seem to have the full recline, but the footprint of the smaller strollers.
And yes, the Zodiac is a Quest.

arivecchi
03-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I have an Albert Thurston, which is also a Ryder and a Triumph. The footprint is slightly larger than the Triumph. It is taller and has taller handles. Poohbear has a good comparison with pics here somewhere. Let me look.

arivecchi
03-29-2011, 02:35 PM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=368364&highlight=albert+thurston+triumph

npl
03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks!
You guys all intrigued me with your comparisons of the Al, but I didn't find it for sale in London at a store where I could return it easily. In fact, the Ryders are hard to find at all. There was the 4 Seasons for a while, but I don't see it now.
Anyway, the store that has the Owen has online ordering, free delivery and free returns instore (and the store is easy to get to).
I wish I knew how it compared to Al, but I guess I'll just have to take a chance, and return if I don't like it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to take dh to try the Techno, too, just so I can feel like I did all the research I needed.
I see that the Cybex strollers are sold by Mamas and Papas, which has a store close to my parents, too, but from the reviews here, I think the handlebars will be way too high for me. What do you thing? How do they compare with the Al and Techno handlebars?