PDA

View Full Version : what deodorant do you use/like?

DrSally
03-29-2011, 09:27 PM
So, I don't really sweat that much under my arms and never wear deodorant, but in the hottest summer days, I wonder if maybe I should wear something. I have a stick of secret from like 10 years ago that I should prob toss, lol.

Are they all the same? What do you use? What's the least irritating, nonstaining/nonwhite (b/c I wear a lot of sleeveless in the summer), and most effective?

lizzywednesday
03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
All scented deodorants give me asthma attacks & I'm allergic to Secret.

So ... I use Dove Ultimate. It's not supposed to streak but does need to dry a little first. Does not leave white on skin. (I put my bra on, apply deodorant, then put bottoms on, brush teeth, put in contacts, etc. before pulling my tops on but that might be overkill.

DrSally
03-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Good to know that the Dove Ultimate doesn't leave white on the skin. I don't mind drying time as long as it does eventually dry. I don't really like scent either (or a really light scent).

ourbabygirl
03-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I've been using Dove (just regular, like the fresh scent or something) for about 5 years or so. I just go by scent. :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Arm and Hammer Powder Fresh or Unscented.

Beth

Babymakes3
03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Well my deodorant was not cutting it anymore now that it's getting hot here and I was starting to downright stink after running so I had to switch. I bought the Secret Clinical Sport and so far I like it! It doesn't seem to rub off on my shirts and it smells really good. We'll see how well it performs during tomorrows run though...

ohsara430
03-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Right now I'm using dove powder fresh and it works great most of the year but in the dead of summer I use Mitchum because the dove doesn't cut it in the heat and humidity.

randomkid
03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I can't stand scented deodorant. When I get hot, the scent just gets stronger and makes me sick - blech! I also use Dove Ultimate, but I use the unscented sensitive skin formula.

lizzywednesday
03-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I can't stand scented deodorant. When I get hot, the scent just gets stronger and makes me sick - blech! I also use Dove Ultimate, but I use the unscented sensitive skin formula.

It seems to be the only one that comes in an unscented anymore.

I used to use a gel (Lady Speed Stick, I think) but it's messy and I think the solid is more effective. Also, I had trouble finding the unscented after a couple of years' use.

Tondi G
03-29-2011, 10:23 PM
I use the Secret conditioning solid. It comes up like the gel ones and rubs in well. I haven't had any issues with it coming off on my clothing.

http://www.secret.com/Smooth-Effects.aspx

HIU8
03-29-2011, 10:35 PM
I use Lady Speed Stick. No issues for me. DH is very allergic to basically everything. He tried Tom's but he ended up stinking b/c it doesn't do anything. The only one DH can use (baring making his own) is Dove Ultimate unscented hypoallergenic version.

DrSally
03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Effectiveness is prob my last criteria b/c, as I said, I really don't sweat all that much. I really want it to be non-irritating/unscented or low scent and nonstaining (can't see it on your clothes). The dove sounds good.

AshleyAnn
03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
I love suave's old formula but they recently changed it. :( It had a different active ingrediate than every other stick on the market that did not build up in clothes or make me itch but its different now. I bought the last three sticks I could find so I'm set for a year.

blue
03-30-2011, 12:04 AM
What about one of the crystal deodorants? I use one when effectiveness is not a huge priority (like for most of the winter) and switch to different type in the warmer months/ or during more activity. The one I have has no sent and I have not had any problem with staining.

lovebebes
03-30-2011, 01:36 AM
I use roll on by Fresh. I really need to find something else bec want it to be more natural.
I read lots online about Lavanilla deodorant but It didnt smell so great at Sephora...i need to give it another sniff..maybe I was too sensitive to its smell when I was pregnant..

truly scrumptious
03-30-2011, 05:35 AM
I use Tom's of Maine unscented because it's aluminum free. I also don't perspire much so it works fine for me.

Dcclerk
03-31-2011, 02:43 PM
What about one of the crystal deodorants? I use one when effectiveness is not a huge priority (like for most of the winter) and switch to different type in the warmer months/ or during more activity. The one I have has no sent and I have not had any problem with staining.

I was thinking that, too. I have Secret for when I have something really stressful happening that I know will cause me to stress/sweat. Otherwise, I really like my Crystal deodorant stick. You have to wet it to apply, but it is totally scent-free, and I think it works much better than the Tom's, Trader Joe's and other natural ones I have tried.

indigo99
03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Since aluminum in deodorants has been linked to breast cancer (which is common in my family), I mainly just use No Offense by Origins. When I'm going to be sweating a lot around people then I still have to go with an anti-perspirant though. It's just embarrassing otherwise.

ETA: I read that it's the anti-perspirant that mainly causes sweat stains. I used to have them all the time and haven't really had a problem since I switched to just using deodorant. I've also heard that rinsing in cold water before washing will help prevent the problem, but I can't figure out how to make my machine do that.

mackmama
03-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Mitchum Unscented for Sensitive Skin
It is amazing - leaves no residue and works great.

hellbennt
03-31-2011, 08:11 PM
I like Liken by earth science
I like both unsecented and rosmary scented
dh likes (& uses) unscented

http://www.shopearthessentials.com/prod_images_large/L_likenUnscented1.jpg

DrSally
03-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!