PDA

View Full Version : Need lunchbox recs

HIU8
03-29-2011, 09:45 PM
for DS. Next year he starts a new school. It's peanut free (so he can't take his pbj that I can pack with a coldpack--he won't do sunbutter etc...). He doesn't eat cheese (unless it's on pizza), no lunchmeat, tuna or basically anything cold for lunch. He prefers to take a hot dog, soup or something else that needs to be heated up. Problem is that this new school does not have microwaves for the kids to heat up food. So, I'm left trying to figure out the best way for DS to take a hot lunch (he could buy lunch and we will probably do that, but I want to find a good solution to take lunch as well).

So, for a hot lunch that you pack, how do you pack it? Does a Thermos container still do the trick? Is there a lunchbox that comes with everything one would need to pack a hot lunch, or am I going to be buying thermos style containers and putting them in an insulated bag? Anyone have recs?

bnme
03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
I have a hot lunch eating DS. I have put mac and cheese, pasta with sauce & meatballs, taco meat, soups, and Annies Stars in the thermos containers. We have lunch bags with 2 compartments like this:
http://www.aspshop.net/Logo-Custom-Customized-Personalized/Coolers-And-Lunch-Bags/DUAL-COMPARTMENT-INSULATED-LUNCH-BAG-2773.htm

The bottom gets a drink, yogurt, carrot sticks. And the top gets the thermos container and pretzel or apple.

As another idea, I have been meaning to try a 'sandwich' on cinnamon bread or zuchinni or banana bread for my DS who doesn't really do sandwiches.

Oh, and I fill up the thermos with hot water from the tea pot before filing it (to warm it). And I always cook the food fresh or reheat on the stove, not in the microwave.

MamaKath
03-30-2011, 07:19 PM
We do hot stuff in a thermos. The one thing I have found though is that the thermos brand keeps stuff way hotter. I got a couple no-name ones and they don't stay hot until lunch. I always put hot water in first for about 10 minutes before the food too. We do those in a regular insulated lunch box.

For cold stuff we do plastic box choices (unfancy bento style) in the lunch bag. This has been a variety of things from sandwiches, to crackers and cheese, to room temp sticky rice. I try to peruse blogs for ideas on things to make pretty simply.

For carrying it all, I have a couple different lunch bag depending on the container since some things (like a thermos) need to stay upright, some boxes need to stay flat, etc.

Some other food things that might work are muffins, quiche, hotdog muffins (hotdog in a corn muffin), spaghettios, ravioli, soups, omelets, mac & cheese, etc. We usually do a hot item, a cold item (applesauce or yogurt), a milkbox, and a snack. My kids won't eat fruit at school, but I can make mini-muffins and pack them full of fruits/veggies.