PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the best lice prevention?

JustMe
03-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Dd had lice again last week, and it was awful. Her hair is like Disney Land for them. Luckily, ds and I did not get it (hey, why would they ever leave what is the happiest place on earth for them). So, I am just wondering what you all think is the best thing to do in terms of prevention. I have the Fairy Tales spray and put some tea tree drops in it.

DrSally
03-29-2011, 11:31 PM
IDK if this is true, but someone I know slicks their kid's hair with EVOO when an outbreak is happening at school

jacksmomtobe
03-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh what a timely post...we just got a notice from school today that someone in ds's class has lice. Luckily he has a crew cut so there isn't much to attach to but I have been using products from Snip it's ...Fairy Tales & the Nitpickers brand for prevention on both kids. My friend with a girl puts olive oil in her daughter's hair & keeps it up in braids. The thought is the oil makes the hair slick & hard for the lice to hang on. Some people also use olive oil to smother them. I of course went into the class today to read a book for ds's birthday not knowing about the occurrence until later but I didn't come in close contact with kids and my jacket was not near their stuff. I've tried to use the fairtales repel & shield spray when I help out in both schools since I have long hair but did not today since there hasn't been a recent outbreak. It puts a hard coating on the hair which must prevent attachement.

Good Luck! I feel for you!

annex
03-30-2011, 12:24 AM
If her hair is short enough to stay mostly under one, would your school let her wear a hat during the day? After our first round with lice, I used the Fairy Tales products, but also encouraged my DD to keep her hat on during the day. (I would wash it regularly.) I also checked her hair once a week with a lice comb. We continued to get lice notices regularly from her homeroom during the rest of the school year, but I never saw another one on her head after the first infestation.

lovebebes
03-30-2011, 12:44 AM
my answer to that would be a very well done hair bun, one that will stay put during the day, with as little stray hair sticking out as possible...

niccig
03-30-2011, 05:15 AM
my answer to that would be a very well done hair bun, one that will stay put during the day, with as little stray hair sticking out as possible...

We had a round through our class and it was just the girls. Then I saw 2 girls with longish hair colouring same page and their long hair was touching.

I say do all the above and have her wear her hair up in a braid or bun.

pinkmomagain
03-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Agreed....braids or bun with LOTS of hairspray.

JustMe
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks! I think I will be doing the bun with either hairspray or gel...but, I suck at making buns. I have no problem with braids and other things (but dont think they will be as effective with my dd), so any tips on how to make a bun that stays with long, thick hair?

Pinky
03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
lice-phobe checking in...

IDK if this is true, but someone I know slicks their kid's hair with EVOO when an outbreak is happening at school
Do they go to school with the oil in their hair? I'm trying to figure out a way to make that look normal.

If her hair is short enough to stay mostly under one, would your school let her wear a hat during the day? After our first round with lice, I used the Fairy Tales products, but also encouraged my DD to keep her hat on during the day. (I would wash it regularly.) I also checked her hair once a week with a lice comb. We continued to get lice notices regularly from her homeroom during the rest of the school year, but I never saw another one on her head after the first infestation.
Do schools allow hats in class? My DD is too young but I am preparing myself for lice prevention in school down the road... LOL

Agreed....braids or bun with LOTS of hairspray.
Think hairspray helps keep them away or does it just keep the hair from being loose where they are more likely to attach?

Smillow
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
I have read that putting hair color in your hair makes it lice-proof - pretty drastic but maybe you could find a matching color?

Green_Tea
03-30-2011, 09:46 PM
It is my understanding that lice prefer CLEAN, recently washed hair. For that reason, we only shampoo on Friday and/or Saturday nights and *occasionally* during the week, but not often. My girls have totally non-oily hair, so a once a week shampoo works for us.

(Of course if they do something that involves lots of sweating or their hair gets icky, we wash it. But in general it seems fine. They wash their bodies in the shower and rinse their hair sans shampoo. Sometimes I'll condition it to make it easier to brush.)

JustMe
03-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks, all! Now, if anyone has any tips on how to make a bun with long, thick hair please give 'em to me!

bubbaray
04-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks, all! Now, if anyone has any tips on how to make a bun with long, thick hair please give 'em to me!

there are lots of tutorials on Youtube for "ballet bun"

http://noolmusic.com/youtube/anaheim_ballet_bun_411.php

JustMe
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
there are lots of tutorials on Youtube for "ballet bun"

http://noolmusic.com/youtube/anaheim_ballet_bun_411.php

Thanks, I will check this out!

ezcc
04-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I have also heard that lice cannot survive high temps, so you can try using the hair dryer a bit more often.