PDA

View Full Version : Mammogram question- Update

Moneypenny
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Update - I apparently have lots of calcifications which are usually benign, but can also be cause for concern, thus the desire to get me in right away. Mine are benign, so that is good! I have to say that both mammograms were much less uncomfortable than I thought they would be. The second was a bit worse because they had to compress the tissue more so they could get a good look at the calcifications, but it was not nearly as bad as I feared. This may be one time when having a not quite B cup works to my benefit, lol!

I went in for my first baseline mammogram last week and got a call back that there are some abnormalities. I have to go back today for a diagnostic mammogram and to meet with the radiologist. The breast health coordinator said many women are called back from their first mammogram and it all ends up just fine, but when I tried to push the appointment back a couple of weeks because I'm crazy busy, they said they wanted me to come in sooner.

Is that just normal protocol? I don't really feel freaked out but I'm wondering if I should be.

Thanks!

malphy
03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I believe it is normal protocol to get you in sooner rather than later when they find an abnormality.

I was called back and it was because the view they got initially was not clear enough in one spot. The did more detailed pics on followup and an u/s and i got the all clear.

Do not freak out (that is coming from the pot calling the kettle black, lol) you are probably fine. Anyway, wouldn't you rather get it done with so it is not weighing on your mind?

Good luck, p&pt!!!!