PDA

View Full Version : Carseat for out of state grandma?

mjs64
03-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Grandma (my mom) lives out of state, and we'll only be seeing her once in awhile. We have to fly to see her (California to Texas) My son is her first grandchild, but she hopes for more and wants to buy a carseat that:

1) will work when we visit her when my son is 4 months old
and
2) will last him and other potential grandkids as long as possible
and
3) is on the less expensive side. She doesn't need a fancy one since it won't be used that often.

What convertible carseats do you recommend, if you recommend one? My son right now, at 7 weeks, is 12 pounds, 23 inches. Should she just buy an infant seat? I don't plan to bring my infant carseat on the plane in June because I'll be traveling alone and don't think I can carry it and luggage and baby. She wants to purchase one anyhow so that we don't have an excuse not to visit.

Thank you for your input.

vonfirmath
03-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Graco SmartSeat seems designed for this situation. I think it has a longer time before expiring as well?

Joolsplus2
03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Evenflo Tribute would be my choice, it's just very easy to install and use, and you could get a good 3-4 years out (kids can use it rearfacing to 2-3, forward facing to 3-5) of it for $45 (from walmart, or 59 at BRU with a coupon). It'll only last 6 years, but for that price you could end up with a couple of those, a Maestro (forward facing harnessed and booster) and some Harmony LiteRiders for about $150...all light and easy to store when you're not around.

mjs64
04-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Evenflo Tribute would be my choice, it's just very easy to install and use, and you could get a good 3-4 years out (kids can use it rearfacing to 2-3, forward facing to 3-5) of it for $45 (from walmart, or 59 at BRU with a coupon). It'll only last 6 years, but for that price you could end up with a couple of those, a Maestro (forward facing harnessed and booster) and some Harmony LiteRiders for about $150...all light and easy to store when you're not around.

Thanks for the great advice! I'll tell my mom.