PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Seat Needed - Matrix/Vibe

debbatx
03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Help! I'm finally de-lurking (unlurking?) after a good long while at these boards, because I need help choosing a convertible seat for DH's car.

He drives a Pontiac Vibe, which is basically the same thing as a Toyota Matrix. I'm going back to work starting Monday, so we need a 2nd convertible seat for his car, in case he has to do the day care drop off/pick up for DS, and well, it's kind of a pain only having one seat.

We're looking for something that will allow us to ERF DS for as long as possible, and a seat that will also travel well and be fairly easy to install in another car if we need it to. We're going on a trip to Alaska this summer (flying to Seattle, DS has his own seat, then cruise to Alaska), and will need to take this seat on the trip. We also have a friend who watches DS on occasion, and last time she did, we had to take the Radian out of my car and put it in hers. I love the Radian, but Never. Again.

Based on what I've read here and on car-seat.org, it seems like my best options might be the Onside Air or the Tribute? Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks! I'll probably be in the BP soon.

debbatx
03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Shoot, just realized I totally neglected to put in important info about DS!!

He's 16 months, about 26 pounds, and 31 inches.

candaceb
03-31-2011, 06:54 PM
I just got a seat installed in my 2003 Vibe last week. Mine is an old-style Roundabout but we plan to move it to DH's car when DS outgrows the Snugride and I'll get a new seat. I asked the techs if they knew if I could fit a Marathon or Boulevard in there (middle position) and they said that either one should work even with the seats all the way back.

debbatx
03-31-2011, 10:13 PM
I thought about a Marathon or a Boulevard, but since DS rarely rides in DH's car, it's hard to stomach spending that much money. Plus, my parents have a Boulevard and, even in my dad's suburban, I keep whacking DS's head on the car ceiling when I try to wrestle him into that seat. :bag: I can only imagine the damage I'd do trying to get him into a Vibe!

I'll keep it in mind, though.

Hmmmm.....

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

annex
03-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Are you trying to RF to 40 lbs? The Cosco Scenera is one such option that is often recommended as a cheap, lightweight-for-travel/secondary car seat. I have a Vibe, but haven't specifically tried that seat in it. It's a pretty install-friendly car, though, I think.

If you are ok with RF just to 35 lbs, and can find one, we use a Safety 1st Avenue as our secondary car/air travel seat for our 3 year-old, and are quite happy with it. It's got nice low sides for loading into and out of the Vibe. It does need pool noodles to get a proper RF angle in most cars (just as something to be aware of.)