PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new TS to try

JTsMom
03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
We're probably going to skip the DDP this trip, but we still would like to do a couple of sit downs. We'll definitely do Ohana for breakfast b/c that's our favorite. For the other, I'm thinking the castle might be fun. Definitely want to try something new, so these are NOT on the list:

-HDDR
-Crystal Palace
-Sci Fi
-50's Prime Time
-Chef Mickey's
-Planet Hollywood
-Whatever the Mexican place in Epcot is called
-Tutto Italia
-Rose and Crown
-Garden Grill
-Tusker House

We haven't visited to many of the resorts yet, and we've never been to the Boardwalk. I don't think Jason could handle Whispering Canyon with his sensory issues.

We're all about the kids, so character meals are probably a good choice, but we do plenty of character visiting in the parks too, so it doesn't have to be a cm.

clc053103
03-31-2011, 06:40 PM
I love to talk food!

Are you opposed to Signature Dining? DS enjoyed them even from a young age. Out of those I think the most fun for kids due to excellent fireworks viewing and not stuffy are:
California Grill
Narcoosee's
or for entertaining open kitchen, BW location: Flying Fish

For non signature:
Cape May Cafe (fun kids buffet, crayons and paper tablecloths, can walk over to BW after)
Teppan Edo (though only if not too much for Jason- have you tried a japanese steak house before?)
The Plaza at MK- love it for lunch, cute ice cream parlor with great food and the Mayor or some other Main Street USA "locals" stop in for some fun.
Portobello (DTD) - the kids loved this place last year because a trip to RideMakerz at DTD was tied in...but also they loved the food and the waiter- they want to go back and hope the same waiter is there again.
Coral Reef: I prefer lunch over dinner, it's just a little calmer, especially during free dining periods.

IMHO, WCC is loud, the gags are done so many times that they just aren't funny, the service can be very poor, and the food was gross. But for breakfast it's decent and the "hijinks" are kept to a minimum.

bnme
03-31-2011, 08:56 PM
We really enjoyed Trex in DTD. There is a volcano that erupts and a lot of dino themeing. The lighting changes (I think from night to day?) so I am not sure if it is something that would bother your DS.

I'd like to try chef Cat Cora's restaurant at the Boardwalk. My parents enjoyed it. There are usually strolling entertainers (magician) in the evening and it is a fun atmospehre.

I'd also like to try Yak & Yeti at AK, Mickey Backyard BBQ, Beaches & Cream, and Ohana for dinner.

mariza
04-01-2011, 07:44 AM
We are not going until May but friends of our just came back and were on the Delux Dining plan. They really enjoyed Yak and Yetis at AK and the Japanese place at Epcot.

egoldber
04-01-2011, 07:58 AM
For other character meals, we like...

Hollywood&Vine at DHS: Handy Manny, June, Leo and Oso. (My younger DD loves Little Einsteins)

At The Grand Floridian we like the Wonderland Breakfast and the Happily Ever After dinner: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/1900-park-fare/

And the GF is just beautiful to wander around and explore.

Have you ever done Biergarten at Epcot? It's fun, but the music part is a little loud.

JTsMom
04-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow, thanks! There are a ton of options here that never even entered my mind. Maybe we'll have to do 3 TS. I have a ton of thinking to do. We still have 2 months before I can book though, so that's a good thing. :) Gotta start the obsessing ASAP. lol

What do you all think of Cinderella's Royal Table? Jason likes the idea of being inside the castle.

egoldber
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
CRT is an experience. And if he would enjoy it, then why not?

It really does pain me to spend that much for a mediocre meal though.

clc053103
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
We did CRT for lunch once-the food was fine (though I think you only had 3 entree choices), and it was a cool novelty to eat in the castle. I do agree with Beth that it's really expensive for what you're getting, so we will probably never go back.

FWIW, Kouzzina by Cat Cora was the single worst meal we ever ate at WDW- service, food quality, price and atmosphere all get terrible reviews. It's also REALLY loud.

Another bw spot is ESPN Club, your kids might enjoy it (tv's with sports and a game room attached) and I did have a really good lunch there before. Portions were huge.

JTsMom
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, the cost thing is one factor, but this might be a good trip to go for it since we don't have any other "big" meals planned. Is there much of a difference between the meals (b/l/d)? Same characters or no? I've never really looked into it. I'm guessing if you do breakfast then you can book for before MK opens, right? Is it still hard to get an ADR there? How long does the meal typically take?

Some of the other suggestions are intriguing too though. I don't know about Signature Dining b/c it's hard for Jason to sit still for very long, and sometimes he gets too loud. I wouldn't want to disrupt someone's dining.

Where is Cape May? Is it Beach Club? I know I've heard it mentioned before. I've recently heard a couple of raves for The Plaza- that could be fun, and we do spend most of our time at MK.

I've walked past TRex, but haven't been inside- J *might* like that- the noise thing could go either way. Beaches and Cream would be fun if we aren't still doing GFCF for J, and if Z's dairy allergy resolves itself.

I think I enjoy the planning/obsessing stage at least as much as the actual trip. lol

billysmommy
04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
CRT is DH's favorite breakfast at WDW. It's pre-plated
but all you can eat. The stuffed French toast is really
yummy!!! The Princesses always make a fuss over the
boys too.

We do an 8:05 or 8:10 ressie and are usually walking
out to FantasyLand right at rope drop or just before.

I love the obsessing/planning stage too :)